Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd (44992 Views)

Can A Third Class Graduate Apply For Masters In The USA / Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada / With 8m. Should I Run An Msc Prog., Go For A Pilot Course Or Do Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Mires: 7:18pm On Nov 25, 2019
kingi777:

There are many job opportunities especially in academia. Most Nigerian universities are understaffed. During resource verification/accreditation, you would see many departments borrowing personnel from other places. Don't be discouraged from pursuing your PhD,one day, nature would create your own opening. Remember when preparation meets opportunity, success results.

My guy, NUC accreditation is charade when you see what departments do to gain accreditation. Don't you know that some Universities prefer sourcing existing personnel from other institutions rather than recruiting.

PhD pursuit isn't for opportunities but to contribute to knowledge production.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 25, 2019
omhor:

Just searched for that name of Facebook, couldn't find it.

Please pardon me. She's Stella Owala (not Owaha)

Try www.Facebook.com/stella.owala
Apologies for my error.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by angelbammy19: 7:26pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Please I need honest advices on my career path. I made a third class in economics and applied for pgd management but got admitted to study marketing after I got the Pgd marketing I moved on to study Msc management which I made 4.0 cgpa.

Now I am about to apply for PhD management. The issue here is that I am confused if I will get a lecturer Job since I made third class and I didn't study a particular course from my bsc to PhD level.

Further more, can I get a scholarship to study for PhD with my degree in any foreign university still admitting? If there is, kindly avail me as the schools I had search have closed admission.
Thanks alot in anticipation to your kind replies.

Pls what is d duration for pgd and d cost pls
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 25, 2019
tyehmi:
I have searched the name you mentioned in Facebook but nothing like that. Kindly verify the name again. She may be useful to some of us.
Hello, apologies from my end.
Her name is Stella OWALA.
facebook (dot0 com (slash) stella.owala
She's currently in Coppenhagen.
Please pardon my error.
Thanks.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by kingi777: 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2019
Mires:

My guy, NUC accreditation is charade when you see what departments do to gain accreditation. Don't you know that some Universities prefer sourcing existing personnel from other institutions rather than recruiting.

PhD pursuit isn't for opportunities but to contribute to knowledge production.
PhD is mainly a research opportunity that enables one think and contribute productively to numerous issues that need solution. In advance societies, PhD/postdoc students are encouraged with financial aids. PhD degree has opened doors of opportunities for many including...
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by subcbouy: 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2019
NoGender:
I also have a question to ask, sorry to take the mic from you, seeing that our concerns are related. Perhaps I should share mine too.

Please someone should help me out if you've got an idea.

I studied Law and after graduation, studied Political science for my Master's degree.

I want to Lecture on Political science in a Nigerian university. What is the possibility based on the courses I studied?
First degree is only based on generalize overview and their fundamentals. Second degree Points you to specialized area of the subject area. The third degree, PhD, you focus on a specialized area, thereafter you can now teach in your specialized field.

You can now teach in political science with your MSc n PhD in political science.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by adez33(m): 7:54pm On Nov 25, 2019
how many years is PGD and in which school did you do it
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Kay25(m): 7:54pm On Nov 25, 2019
[quote author=Back2Daura post=84344272]Good day all,

Please I need honest advices on my career path. I made a third class in economics and applied for pgd management but got admitted to study marketing after I got the Pgd marketing I moved on to study Msc management which I made 4.0 cgpa.

Now I am about to apply for PhD management. The issue here is that I am confused if I will get a lecturer Job since I made third class and I didn't study a particular course from my bsc to PhD level.

Further more, can I get a scholarship to study for PhD with my degree in any foreign university still admitting? If there is, kindly avail me as the schools I had search have closed admission.
Thanks alot in anticipation to your kind replies
..I think yes I have seen lecturers like that In oau
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fyi0:

Shame on you. Why did you make a third class? Iti!
Please if you have nothing relevant to contribute, kindly go and read for your UTME 2020.
Child
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 25, 2019
For the people who asked,
The travel/career consultant's name is Stella Owala.
Facebook.com/stella.owala

She REALLY knows her onions when it comes to international education and scholarship applications.

Shoot her a DM!
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 25, 2019
ursullalinda:

Alot of intelligent pple graduated with 3rd class....there are so many factors that can make one get third class....it doesn't mean he or she is not sharp
These factors are what I really want to take surveys and studies on.
Our federal tertiary education system is a shame (mostly).
I've interacted with many thrird class graduates who are really smart, and are making alot of visible impact.

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
Sleevia:
iI used to think like you until I was faced with difficult times. During the first phase of my school years, my grade was always increasing. I almost had a distinction in my last semester... all these happened because I had no financial problems nor anything to worry about.

Then I lost my mother. The second phase was well... I struggled to make good grade because my mind was unstable.

Since then, I stopped looking down on people who make poor grades.
Hmmmm, sorry for your story. It's a sad one. I actually have nothing against third class students. Guess what...I'm a third class graduate myself.
I have my reasons why my grades weren't more "satisfactory" but it seems the third class of degree is rampant.
There is usually a dissonance between the degree of these folks and their reasoning capacity.

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 25, 2019
zone51:

Our school system
Hmmmmmmm, that's true.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
phillippians:

Women! Keeping of girlfriends on campus, party and all contributes to students poor performance in exams!
I agree but disagree again. I know a guy - a shaye guy. You never saw him read. He was always partying and with girls.
Dude slammed a first class. The guy is VErY intelligent, despite his shady lifestyle. Maybe he's the exception tho.
But there are people who are very "holy" yet made a third class...
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
dabossman:

Sometimes, it's the madness that goes on in our universities and not a lack of intelligence on the students part. I have a friend who graduated with a 3rd class in Naija, but currently has a M.Sc and Ph.D from an American University, in the same field of study.
I twale for your friend. It takes alot of focus, grit and discipline.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by gimbayaro(m): 8:21pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Send me an email if you want to study in China. Gimbayaro@gmail.com
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by ursullalinda(f): 8:22pm On Nov 25, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

These factors are what I really want to take surveys and studies on.
Our federal tertiary education system is a shame (mostly).
I've interacted with many thrird class graduates who are really smart, and are making alot of visible impact.

You will enjoy the research.....it was when I started interacting with people I discovered alot of 3rd class graduates end up very successful and also very smart.....but Nigeria is a stereotype country.....once you are not what is expected of you .......that's the end
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by mjameel(m): 8:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
A friend of mine graduated with 3rd Class. Do u he is now an Associate Prof in an American University in Cyprus? The sky is your limit if you believe.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by frozen70(f): 8:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Mckore:
You see him moniker?

Just saw it now, no wonder it's really empty

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
ursullalinda:

You will enjoy the research.....it was when I started interacting with people I discovered alot of 3rd class graduates end up very successful and also very smart.....but Nigeria is a stereotype country.....once you are not what is expected of you .......that's the end
I will do an extensive research on this. I pray it will even be my MSc thesis topic grin

A mentor of mine was kicked out of university. (There was alot of beef with departmental lecturers and professors).
After an extra year, he was advised to withdraw.
He is very smart. He left school without a certificate.

By the favor of God, he got a job with a multinational engineering firm. He did very well - was promoted severally. Life has been very good to him.

His company wanted to recruit and he was asked to invite friends whom he knew. He got in touch with the brightest minds of his set...first class and 2:1 graduates.

They came for the aptitude test; most of them failed; the ones who did not fail couldn't scale through the interviews.

His manager was disappointed in the quality of graduates who had first class certificates but could not prove their mettle.

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by KenMosi: 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2019
Spacious 4 bedroom bungalow for SALE in ONITSHA, asking price is 16 million naira, the price is negotiable but if you get buyer for 16 million naira, the house owner will give you a commission of Five hundred thousand naira, call/chat the owner on whatsapp via 09032290584 to get more details and pictures of the house.

The house is a very big 4 bedroom bungalow, it has 2 sitting rooms, all the bedrooms has toilet/bath, it has a big kitchen with store, the bigger sitting room has a toilet, the compound has 3 block dog cages and a parking store and generator house with an overhead tank.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Olufemiolaolu(m): 9:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Wow! You are a source of inspiration.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Smartwave: 9:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Even if you have a Ph.d? Please cross check your facts. Many private universities in Nigeria, are looking for doctorate degree holders, to be in their faculties. Once you have that Ph.d, they won't stress you, if you had a 3rd class.
I'm not guessing, first, Good first degree, without this even with your PhD forget lecturing job. If you have Master degree, they will still requested for PhD registration. You know why?? They wanted to know if you made PhD grade. Why do you think, first class always get retained by the University?? Is NUC rule not University choice. Not even College of Education or Polytechnic will employ 3rd Class even with your PhD.

My advice****** if you so desire lecturing job, as you doing your PhD programme, put in for Bsc conversion programme. A friend did so, after he face the real truth, now "he is a lecturer at one of Federal University, even with PhD in view.

The truth is, most University, ( private ) will rather force you to extra year than 3rd class nowadays.

Reason for all these University running Conversion programme which is meant for both HND / BSC 3rd holder.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Smartwave: 10:05pm On Nov 25, 2019
fapcrook:
you dont know anything about academics at all
Online had made everyone equals, if not, you will choose you word.

Do you understand the word "Prequsite "?

When it come to lecturing job, anywhere, PhD will never replace first degree with good honours.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Smartwave: 10:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
ursullalinda:

failure at times reset brains to default settings.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by sanmtiago(m): 10:12pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fyi0:

Does it matter? I wasn't that dumb to make a third class.
lol you should know that 3rd class is just a grade. And besides you didn’t make a first class so try not to troll people for their grades bro because life is beyond grade
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by ursullalinda(f): 11:23pm On Nov 25, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

I will do an extensive research on this. I pray it will even be my MSc thesis topic grin

A mentor of mine was kicked out of university. (There was alot of beef with departmental lecturers and professors).
After an extra year, he was advised to withdraw.
He is very smart. He left school without a certificate.

By the favor of God, he got a job with a multinational engineering firm. He did very well - was promoted severally. Life has been very good to him.

His company wanted to recruit and he was asked to invite friends whom he knew. He got in touch with the brightest minds of his set...first class and 2:1 graduates.

They came for the aptitude test; most of them failed; the ones who did not fail couldn't scale through the interviews.

His manager was disappointed in the quality of graduates who had first class certificates but could not prove their mettle.

That's my point exactly.....all the best Man
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by larryjeffry(m): 11:45pm On Nov 25, 2019
Go and apply for Another Bsc
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Juliearth(f): 12:04am On Nov 26, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

With the right connection and God's favour, your class of degree is inconsequential. Sign up for the PhD and make sure you have at least 5 publications( both local and foreign). The publications alone would give you an upper hand. All the best, bro.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Juliearth(f): 12:09am On Nov 26, 2019
[b]
taiwoawoniyi:

Really?
Then there's obviously another reason apart from intelligence why they had a third class.
Just like OP, he's intelligent but yet made a third class. Why?

Whoever is of the notion that only dull students make third class is obviously backward. Quite a number of vicissitude can result to this: ill health, lecturer's personal vandetta with students and even the system itself( my department feels it's a tabboo for students to ace their exams, so our results are always moderated)...
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by edoairways: 12:17am On Nov 26, 2019
hachan:
How did you get MSC with third class?
Read the post again and then digest
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by edoairways: 12:21am On Nov 26, 2019
Fyi0:

[s]Shame on you. Why did you make a third class? Iti![/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cowbellpedia 2019: Shocker! As Oluwafemi Adeyanju Takes An Early Exit / Olosunde Aderonke Oyindamola Who Did Project Work On 'Jenifa's Diary English' / Niger Delta University Graduating Student Signs On Colleague's Chest (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.