Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,541 members, 7,955,010 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:24 PM

Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register (11781 Views)

Ruga Settlement: Kano Government Unveils N36 Billion Project / FG Opens Sexual Offenders’ Register, Osinbajo Demands Action / Nigeria Air: Federal Government Unveils New National Carrier In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by ikorodureporta: 6:44am On Nov 26, 2019
Something that cannot be searched for online. Common citizens' database you don't have
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by jamespeter10(m): 7:05am On Nov 26, 2019
mercyokoro24:
The Federal Government in collaboration with strategic partners has unveiled the Nigeria sexual offenders register.

The register which will have the pictures and all particulars of convicted sexual offenders in the country will also have a section that offenders who were never convicted will be displayed for an administrative fee.

Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo said that the exact number of cases of sexual abuse victims are difficult to confirm because when women come forward, they are called liars and troublemakers.

The Vice President who urged Nigerians to speak up or go to the police when they witness a sexual assault incident said that one of the steps to take in eradicating sexual abuse includes challenging degrading reference to women.

Prof. Osinbajo said this on Monday in Abuja, at the official launch of the sex offenders register by the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) in collaboration with the partners.

He was represented by the Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr Dayo Apata.

https://www.ogbeta.ng/2019/11/federal-government-unveils-its-sexual.html/amp/
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by dominique(f): 7:06am On Nov 26, 2019
One of the best decisions they've taken this year, hope they implement it quickly and I hope the register won't be limited to males only.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by Nickisindigo(m): 7:14am On Nov 26, 2019
okefrancis:
Anyway this is good as it will stop the unnecessary blackmailing
it rather increase it
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by thundafire: 7:20am On Nov 26, 2019
Imagine using papers in 21st century era instead of having a database,how come were dis leaders allocated to born in Nigeria
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by AfroKnight: 7:29am On Nov 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:
If a certain pastor’s name is not there then it is not complete

The reason you didn’t mention his name outright, is the same reason he shouldn’t be listed there.

No conviction. His accuser sued him for damages and he still won. But you want to list him there? Don’t get ahead of yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by somehow: 7:30am On Nov 26, 2019
Blue3k:

If you're not convicted you shouldn't be in the database. You essentially have a long list of accused people.

Rather they should be on the watch list
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by somehow: 7:32am On Nov 26, 2019
Duggedised12:
Welcome development,however if we had a national data base , things like this would have been easy to integrate, as all a person's records will be accessed in one click.

Hence the reason NIMC is being pushed rigorously for that purpose
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by Duggedised12(f): 7:38am On Nov 26, 2019
somehow:

Hence the reason NIMC is being pushed rigorously for that purpose
lets hope that it pushes through then.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by CanadaOrBust: 7:43am On Nov 26, 2019
AfroKnight:

The reason you didn’t mention his name outright, is the same reason he shouldn’t be listed there.

No conviction. His accuser sued him for damages and he still won. But you want to list him there? Don’t get ahead of yourself.

I don’t know what u r talking about grin

But seriously, he is lucky he is in Nigeria. In US he’d be in jail. GUARANTEED!
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by JAYMMO: 8:28am On Nov 26, 2019
It's ok. But when will FG unveil CORRUPTION register?
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by Xisnin(m): 8:43am On Nov 26, 2019
olu77:
I have no confidence in it. The register will still be filled with poor offenders while the rich offenders are allowed to go and continue their offence.
Don't use the discredited class struggle here.

Our prisons are filled with poor thieves, rapists, armed robbers, and murderers but I
doubt you will call for their release because they are poor.

If a poor man robs you, you would likely report the crime even though many rich criminals
are walking free.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by Xisnin(m): 8:44am On Nov 26, 2019
JAYMMO:
It's ok. But when will FG unveil CORRUPTION register?
Get out of here.
There is more to life than corruption.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by jimcaddy(m): 8:46am On Nov 26, 2019
Na when the whole world is looking to do something else to curb this menace, that is when Naija is just approving Sex Offenders Register. We are way too backward in this country ehn.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by grandstar(m): 9:25am On Nov 26, 2019
I hope the exact sexual offense is stated because public judge offenders based on what they conjure they have done.

What comes to my mind when I hear the words sex offender is a grown up man who raped an 8 year old. It isn't always so.

In America for instance, a 19 year old who sleeps with a 17 year old becomes a sex offender as he has had sex with a minor (someone younger than 18). In the US, most of those on the list belong to the one described above and a depraved lunatic.

When 2 guys entered into a new neighborhood in America, they were killed shortly afterwards by a neighbour who discovered they were on the list. It turned their actual actual offense wasn't greater than the above.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by lakesider(m): 9:45am On Nov 26, 2019
Lynx001:
From VP To registrar of sexual offenders register.
no conditiön permament.

I hope you mother, wife and child get raped in your presence on day..
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by AfroKnight: 10:01am On Nov 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I don’t know what u r talking about grin

But seriously, he is lucky he is in Nigeria. In US he’d be in jail. GUARANTEED!

Lol. Maybe that’s how you people do in Canada.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by sexysage(m): 10:11am On Nov 26, 2019
I hope they will include Sani yerima the paedophile who likes smashing young kpekus in that register
May black thunder fire y'all!
He is also one of the idiots that sponsored the plagiarized Singaporean hate speech bill..
SMH
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by IMASTEX: 1:01pm On Nov 26, 2019
Lynx001:
From VP To registrar of sexual offenders register.
no conditiön permament.
grin You go sabi find trouble well well.

Nigeria politics is too rigid, cunny and aimed for greedy purpose with total disregards to competent hands, quality services, etc. VP is been dealt with just to reduce any possible avenue of creating a political threat from him. I have long given up on Nigeria politics and the hopes that Nigeria will improve anytime soon.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by kayroc: 1:08pm On Nov 26, 2019
So now the new business for 2020 is blackmail. Once somebody doesn't like you they will accuse you and put you on the registry. Since those that have been accused but not convicted are included, it is now easy to completely destroy somebody's career and visa prospects.

False accusations loading. Abeg guys should be wise. Any babe that asks you for money you better pay up before she opens case on your head.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by Randal: 1:15pm On Nov 26, 2019
mercyokoro24:
The Federal Government in collaboration with strategic partners has unveiled the Nigeria sexual offenders register.

The register which will have the pictures and all particulars of convicted sexual offenders in the country will also have a section that offenders who were never convicted will be displayed for an administrative fee.

Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo said that the exact number of cases of sexual abuse victims are difficult to confirm because when women come forward, they are called liars and troublemakers.

The Vice President who urged Nigerians to speak up or go to the police when they witness a sexual assault incident said that one of the steps to take in eradicating sexual abuse includes challenging degrading reference to women.

Prof. Osinbajo said this on Monday in Abuja, at the official launch of the sex offenders register by the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) in collaboration with the partners.

He was represented by the Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr Dayo Apata.

https://thenationonlineng.net/fg-unveils-its-sexual-offenders-register/amp/
I was there LIVE
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by CanadaOrBust: 3:47pm On Nov 26, 2019
AfroKnight:

Lol. Maybe that’s how you people do in Canada.
I’m nowhere near Canada
Look, we’ll never be 100% certain of anything - that’s the nature of our universe, but at a point u need to stop splitting hairs and use your nature-given common sense to deduce what is likely true:

If u r angry with someone and lie against them, that anger will quickly dissipate because u know u r lying. Also it is human nature to NOT want to have to repeat a lie. If after 17 years the anger still persists and the person (without having to) repeats the same story to an even wider audience, it is very likely they are telling the truth
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by AfroKnight: 6:20pm On Nov 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I’m nowhere near Canada
Look, we’ll never be 100% certain of anything - that’s the nature of our universe, but at a point u need to stop splitting hairs and use your nature-given common sense to deduce what is likely true:

If u r angry with someone and lie against them, that anger will quickly dissipate because u know u r lying. Also it is human nature to NOT want to have to repeat a lie. If after 17 years the anger still persists and the person (without having to) repeats the same story to an even wider audience, it is very likely they are telling the truth

Hmmm. I understand your point. Not sure if unproven accusations should be enough to register someone as a sex offender. Not like she has even charged him with a rape case. So? Anyway, this register is a good development.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by CanadaOrBust: 9:14pm On Nov 26, 2019
AfroKnight:

Hmmm. I understand your point. Not sure if unproven accusations should be enough to register someone as a sex offender. Not like she has even charged him with a rape case. So? Anyway, this register is a good development.

Notice how long ago all the assaults happened, yet guy is currently in jail serving 10 years

Nov. 13, 2014 Bowman, who first publicly accused Cosby of sexual assault in 2006 and was a witness in Constand's lawsuit, wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post titled "Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?" Two days later, when asked about the charges on NPR's "Weekend Edition," Cosby stays silent.

Nov. 16, 2014 A new accuser, Joan Tarshis, told CNN that Cosby drugged and assaulted her on two occasions in 1969.

Nov. 17, 2014 Linda Joy Traitz, a former waitress at a restaurant owned in part by Cosby, wrote a long Facebook post accusing him of trying to drug her in the early '70s.

Nov. 18, 2014 Janice Dickinson told "Entertainment Tonight" that he drugged and raped her in 1982.

Nov. 20, 2014 Theresa Serignese comes forward as the seventh woman to accuse Cosby of sexual assault, saying that he drugged and assaulted her in 1976. His attorneys dismiss Serignese's and others' accusations as "decades old, discredited" accounts.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by CanadaOrBust: 9:28pm On Nov 26, 2019
kayroc:
So now the new business for 2020 is blackmail. Once somebody doesn't like you they will accuse you and put you on the registry. Since those that have been accused but not convicted are included, it is now easy to completely destroy somebody's career and visa prospects.

False accusations loading. Abeg guys should be wise. Any babe that asks you for money you better pay up before she opens case on your head.

Nigeria must overdo everything - they just have to include ACCUSED people!
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by kayroc: 9:37pm On Nov 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Nigeria must overdo everything - they just have to include ACCUSED people!

The politicians want to use it as political weapon so they don't send anybody they will just pass it.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by AfroKnight: 9:49pm On Nov 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Notice how long ago all the assaults happened, yet guy is currently in jail serving 10 years

Nov. 13, 2014 Bowman, who first publicly accused Cosby of sexual assault in 2006 and was a witness in Constand's lawsuit, wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post titled "Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?" Two days later, when asked about the charges on NPR's "Weekend Edition," Cosby stays silent.

Nov. 16, 2014 A new accuser, Joan Tarshis, told CNN that Cosby drugged and assaulted her on two occasions in 1969.

Nov. 17, 2014 Linda Joy Traitz, a former waitress at a restaurant owned in part by Cosby, wrote a long Facebook post accusing him of trying to drug her in the early '70s.

Nov. 18, 2014 Janice Dickinson told "Entertainment Tonight" that he drugged and raped her in 1982.

Nov. 20, 2014 Theresa Serignese comes forward as the seventh woman to accuse Cosby of sexual assault, saying that he drugged and assaulted her in 1976. His attorneys dismiss Serignese's and others' accusations as "decades old, discredited" accounts.

The only concrete evidence against Cosby was his own confession in a sealed 2005 deposition. That was what lent the accusers credibility, that was what nailed him.

Conversely, this Pastor has not confessed anything on record. He hasn’t even been charged for rape yet. His name can’t enter any register.
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by CanadaOrBust: 11:06pm On Nov 26, 2019
AfroKnight:

The only concrete evidence against Cosby was his own confession in a sealed 2005 deposition. That was what lent the accusers credibility, that was what nailed him.

Conversely, this Pastor has not confessed anything on record. He hasn’t even been charged for rape yet. His name can’t enter any register.

Buhari’s name must also be in the register, so also all those Northern pedophiles who marry 10-year-olds. Of course I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Actually Cosby did not confess. See what the article says:

“However, Cosby did not admit to any criminal activity in the documents; the deposition was taken as part of a lawsuit filed by Andrea Constand, a Temple University employee who said Cosby molested her. The lawsuit was settled out of court.

Cosby has denied all wrongdoing and has never been charged with a crime, and he and his representatives have steadfastly denied the assault claims by a succession of women. He said in his deposition that he gave Constand only three half-pills of Benadryl, an over-the-counter allergy medication.”
Re: Federal Government Unveils Its Sexual Offenders Register by AfroKnight: 8:00am On Nov 27, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Buhari’s name must also be in the register, so also all those Northern pedophiles who marry 10-year-olds. Of course I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Actually Cosby did not confess. See what the article says:

“However, Cosby did not admit to any criminal activity in the documents; the deposition was taken as part of a lawsuit filed by Andrea Constand, a Temple University employee who said Cosby molested her. The lawsuit was settled out of court.

Cosby has denied all wrongdoing and has never been charged with a crime, and he and his representatives have steadfastly denied the assault claims by a succession of women. He said in his deposition that he gave Constand only three half-pills of Benadryl, an over-the-counter allergy medication.”

Lol. I don’t know your source but my own source is one of the jurors who gave the guilty verdict. His disposition was the nail in the coffin. It was what helped establish his pattern as fact. Lol. Me I can’t continue arguing with you. Believe whatever you want. Here’s the link. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vulture.com/amp/2018/04/cosbys-damning-deposition-led-to-guilty-verdict-says-juror.html

Also, do you have proof Buhari married a minor? Cos the Bio of the First Lady says otherwise. wink You might wish with all your heart that something would be true but that doesn’t make it so.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19: Boss Mustapha Goes Into Self-isolation As Family Members Test Positive / 10 North West Support Groups Dump Atiku For Tinubu / "Political Witch-hunt By EFCC": Kogi Govt Asks Tinubu To Order Special Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.