Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,329 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

"Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" (3397 Views)

Xenophobia: Protesters In Abuja Set Bonfire On Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Road (Pix) / Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe / See Nnamdi Azikiwe And His Car In 1959: Can You Tell The Name Of The Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by LegendHero(m): 6:26pm On Nov 26, 2019
“The problem we have in Biafraland is that, the younger generation of our people who lack the true knowledge of history still refers to Zik as some human god whereas in reality, Zik was inspired by personal ambition according to Professor Chinue Achebe, in his book titled “THE TROUBLE WITH NIGERIA”.

This is exactly my position about Zik. Out of all the three leaders (Awolowo, Balewa, and Azikwe), he is the one that is ruled by the most personal ambition with ethnic dominating mindset BUT he was able to hide under the banner of a nationalist to deceive everyone including his people.

Anyway all mortal have tendencies to fail, we should all move on and forget about what happened among our past leaders.

Although Kanu is also a mental case on his own but on this Zik issue and how it relates to the Igbos he is right!

3 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by T9ksy(m): 6:38pm On Nov 26, 2019
mrvitalis:

So u accept awolowo betrayed Igbo's ?

Awo did not betray ibos as his primary objectives were to protect the interests of the yorubas.

Awo owes ibos sweet Phock all

3 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by valarmorghulis: 7:26pm On Nov 26, 2019
T9ksy:

Awo did not betray ibos as his primary objectives were to protect the interests of the yorubas.

Awo owes ibos sweet Phock all

Igbo people too greedy, ojukwu should have remained in Igbo territory but he wants to capture Lagos and he expect awo to sit and watch his people die like chicken.

3 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by T9ksy(m): 7:36pm On Nov 26, 2019
valarmorghulis:

Igbo people too greedy, ojukwu should have remained in Igbo territory but he wants to capture Lagos and he expect awo to sit and watch his people die like chicken.

What his father zik couldn't accomplish through the ballot box Ojukwu thought he could through armed warfare. He failed woefully.

I guess that's what they meant by " Awo betrayed us".

6 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 26, 2019
Magicians:
Precisely I do not have issue to trash put with fools that their father is the basis of the lies. Did your father no tell you Awo didn't give you back your millions after the Biafra war ? Na today foolish Igbo father de talk nonsense on NL.

Next time you father tell you such nonsense, tell him to shut up. Do not come here to spread falsehood from your father or anyone else with thorough investigation to back up your Father's lies.

Hungry people are angry, I know that's why you are angry. You should relax your anger and look for something better please.

Most of you are so bitter to the extent that you ty to spread it across to others.
I don't do e-battles, please look for someone like you.

2 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 26, 2019
mrvitalis:

So u accept awolowo betrayed Igbo's ?
Never!
He is simply trying to protect his people from my point of understanding.

What I meant was that the igbos should blame Zik instead of Awo because he was the real betrayer.

1 Like

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Area4Area: 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2019
IPOBians won't like this and especially when it puts one of their own in bad light, worst of it is when it's coming from Kanu and IPOB.

If it were a Yoruba or Hausa man that said this, this thread would've gotten to the 20th page by now.

5 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 6:07am On Nov 27, 2019
Magicians:
Why do foolish Igbo blame every one for their woes instead of taking responsibilities ? So if the British want to exterminate your entire tribe you will just sit n watch them do that ?!

How is it possible to attain the level of foolishness you comment with on NL ?!

Are all you Igbos cursed ?!
So Nigerians should support Azikwe to become president because he was a traitor to the Biafran cause ? What sort of lunatics parade themselves on NL this days ?

What more support do foolish Igbo want than the western region voting enormously for Zik party ahead of Awo's party or simply because he was unable to take of the control of the region now mean he wasn't supported or are you Igbos cursed ?

Britain voted for Brexit they still do not have that over 6 years on due to politics. Your tribe live n breed on hate n yes you hate everyone from Awo Buhari Tinubu, Fashola, Aregbe Daura, Abba Kyari n many more.

Igbo claiming you don't hate is the height of your inglorious delusion, your father n mother nurtured n raised each n every single one of you with hate, bigotry n extreme foolishness. Fact#

All I can see in your post is curse, curse, curse. The shows your state of mind. My message is clear to everyone. Do you want to know who Igbos hate? I'll tell you. Buhari is a typical example. We can see him for who he truly is. Did we hide it? Immediately he got into the office, what did he say? 97% and 5%. Has he not done everything to live up to that decision of his? That he's continuing the Second Niger Bridge or constructing roads mean nothing. You guys can never make us clap for a job that should be done for the benefit of all as though it was meant exclusively for all. We see beyond your gimmicks. Buhari has been a total failure as Nigeria's present economy has shown. We rejecting him was based on both hindsight and foresight. Have we not been vindicated?
It's only in Nigeria that those who fought and bled for independence were never given the honour of leading the country in the capacity of President to enable them layout what fire the motivation for that independence. Why was Zik denied the position? Why was Awo denied the same position? They were made to watch from the sideline. I can confidently say that they both died unfulfilled.
I repeat: Igbos don't hate Yorubas, if we do, it will be evident to all. There are many instances to point as a confirmation to my assertion. The general belief among us is that Yorubas betrayed us. Majority of Yorubas who fought on the Nigerian side acted as though they were fighting with a mortal enemy. Was it Ibrahim Taiwo or Benjamin Adekunle? What about the infamous Awolowo? Igbos and Yorubas never had any score to settle as at that time. I still continue to wonder and shudder at the manner of response most Yorubas have about Biafra. Biafra was like Noah's ark during the flood. Nigerian government couldn't protect her own citizens from slaughter in broad daylight. What other options did the Igbos and other Easterners have that time? If the same situation presents itself again, another Biafra will be declared but this time with the support of a world power to guarantee the continuous supply of weapons and other logistics. This is when Nigeria will beg for peace.
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 6:20am On Nov 27, 2019
valarmorghulis:

Wrong and wrong. If Ojukwu wanted to attack Yorubas(Lagos), would he have made a Yoruba man- Banjo, the commander of that battalion? No. A Yoruba man led that expedition towards Lagos and the aim was to drive the northern soldiers out of Lagos and expectedly the whole western Nigeria. Awolowo initially complained to Ojukwu about how northern soldiers dominated his region. Read history books again. Igbos had no problems with the Yorubas up to the time of that expedition.
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 6:32am On Nov 27, 2019
Magicians:
If you like u go with hell, where is your father audio clip to collaborate this nonsense you aim to sell or you think we are foolish enough to just take your words for it ?!

I can as well wake up n claim God almighty said we should all go the Biafra way ?! Does that make any sense to you ? Beside, who is your father in the scheme of things in Nigeria ?! Pls do not tell me he is a nobody even in his community ? Let's just pray he is not a nonentity all the same.

Why are you so enraged by him sharing his experience? Why insult his father for airing his opinion? Why so much hatred for Biafra when they neither seek you, your people, property or land? Why? Why?? Why
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by tricksters: 7:13am On Nov 27, 2019
Are we talking experience of lies or in lies or ypi think every will chose to be quiet while you continue selling you bigoted lies on NL. If he never involved his father in his lies o won't have cause to include him. Lying n backing up your lies with your father will earn you nothing but appropriate ass whooping. Biafra can go from hell to hellfire for all I care.

Yujin:

Why are you so enraged by him sharing his experience? Why insult his father for airing his opinion? Why so much hatred for Biafra when they neither seek you, your people, property or land? Why? Why?? Why
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 2:11pm On Nov 27, 2019
tricksters:
Are we talking experience of lies or in lies or ypi think every will chose to be quiet while you continue selling you bigoted lies on NL. If he never involved his father in his lies o won't have cause to include him. Lying n backing up your lies with your father will earn you nothing but appropriate ass whooping. Biafra can go from hell to hellfire for all I care.

I wanted to reply this message with barrage of points but when I saw your moniker, it dawned on me that it will be a waste of time. As a man thinks, so he is 'tricksters'.
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by googi: 4:30pm On Nov 27, 2019
Zik, a man who brought Igbo into prominence in Nigeria is now under attack.

But look at where it is coming from. Ojukwu that Zik held in his hands as a baby failed to diminish him in Africa and at world stage.

It is this ignoramus that will do it.

Ah IGBO, you fall my hand no be small
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by T9ksy(m): 6:03pm On Nov 27, 2019
googi:
Zik, a man who brought Igbo into prominence in Nigeria is now under attack.

But look at where it is coming from. Ojukwu that Zik held in his hands as a baby failed to diminish him in Africa and at world stage.

Ojukwu never forgave the owelle of Onitsha for stopping him from killing his father- Ojukwu snr.
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Basic123: 8:23pm On Nov 27, 2019
kingkakaone:
As bitter as this is I must say it is true.

Some guys were discussing about the civil war and most of them said the Yorubas through Awolowo hated them and supported the government against them.
I aksed them to tell me Zik's role during the war and they kept quiet until an old man among them said he betrayed Biafra.

I have also seen most comments from some fellas here calling Awolowo as a betrayer but never called out zik, their main man at that time for doing same.
The truth is, you can't cover your family member and insult someone else who did same thing they did.

I know unlearned and bitter souls will quote me with insults and I am waiting for them.
An Igbo man problem is always caused by someone else

2 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2019
Basic123:
An Igbo man problem is always caused by someone else
For this one I will say Zik is the biggest betrayer.
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Basic123: 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2019
kingkakaone:

For this one I will say Zik is the biggest betrayer.
they will never call him back one

But call Awolowo out(Remember that Awolowo and osinbajo his in law are Yoruba Christians ooo)

Before that hypocritical of a tribe will start crying that Yoruba Muslims are there problem.

Disgusting people

3 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Chemcrown: 8:48pm On Nov 27, 2019
Yujin:

No learned Igbo man will fault this post of yours. That's why Zik despite his achievement for independence is not celebrated in Igboland. As for Obiano, he's doing it perhaps to curry favour with the government at the centre for his personal ambition. Zik I believe was a man that was sincerely wrong. I wish people could understand him. He never wanted to see a divided Africa even if it means selling away his family or even ethnic group. Awo and Bello were never like that. The British saw this and played him very well because it was him they feared most. Even in the thick of the war you could see him stand for a United Nigeria by calling Ojukwu - a dictator. Using words like rebels for his own people who are suffering and dying hoping that others could see what he had in mind but they could see nada. All they saw was a people including him that should be defeated and silenced. I would have believed in Nigeria and their narrative if they had supported Zik to be the President having sacrificed all these but alas, it wasn't to be so. This message should sink into the minds of all Igbos and other Eastern ethnic groups who think going against the consensus of your people to prove your loyalty to a Nigeria before the Hausa/fulani politicians is all a waste of time. You will be disgraced if not killed at the end. Didn't it happen to Isaac Adaka Boro? Didn't it happen to Gowon himself? Why did Dimka kill Murtala? Why did Gideon Orkar carry out the coup? What was his speech like? Obasanjo himself was almost killed despite his sacrifice for Nigeria save for providence. His presidential emergence was a trade off for the fulani led north to remain in power not because they loved him. Why is he complaining of recent? What about T.Y Danjuma? Is he not lamenting today? Biafra became a necessity today for most Igbos because they see Nigeria as hopeless and irredeemable. They don't have to hate anyone for that. We don't seek the failure of anyone. We just seek to be able to control our destiny in a country that we can plan ourselves. How calling Biafra translates to war beats my imagination? Did we declare war before? NO! The only thing we are saying today is that fulanis will not import their people from other countries to come take over our lands and they won't cage us as they're doing to others now. As for those aiding them despite how clear their evil plans are, we say; watch it. Time shall tell.

I don't think a sensible person will go against biafrans leaving this SEEMINGLY hopeless country but you cannot leave by unleashing a lot of hatred on other tribes.
Truly, a call to leave the country is NEVER a call for war but when lace with hate speeches will make it tantamount to a call for FIGHT.
everybody is fed up with the country but that is not an avenue to be throwing stones at others.
Thanks bro
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Chemcrown: 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2019
Yujin:

Wrong and wrong. If Ojukwu wanted to attack Yorubas(Lagos), would he have made a Yoruba man- Banjo, the commander of that battalion? No. A Yoruba man led that expedition towards Lagos and the aim was to drive the northern soldiers out of Lagos and expectedly the whole western Nigeria. Awolowo initially complained to Ojukwu about how northern soldiers dominated his region. Read history books again. Igbos had no problems with the Yorubas up to the time of that expedition.

Oga you funny die ooooo

1 Like

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Olugbanko: 9:21pm On Nov 27, 2019
What's the fuss all about? Why crucify the dead for stating the obvious? Cownu be warned!
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2019
Chemcrown:

Oga you funny die ooooo
Pls, care to explain why you think my post is funny?
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by LegendHero(m): 10:32pm On Nov 27, 2019
Yujin:

What sort of rubbish statement is this for God sake? Do you think you are speaking to Nnamdi Kanu disciples online ?

Awolowo complained to Ojukwu in which of the history books? Even the albino Kanu will be ashamed of you because you’ve bested him in propaganda.

Even devil will be scared of your lies!

1 Like

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 10:42pm On Nov 27, 2019
LegendHero:

What sort of rubbish statement is this for God sake? Do you think you are speaking to Nnamdi Kanu disciples online ?

Awolowo complained to Ojukwu in which of the history books? Even the albino Kanu will be ashamed of you because you’ve bested him in propaganda.

You claimed to have access to virtually all information regarding Nigerian history especially at that critical time. Do you mind if I ask you to post the transcript of the discussion between Ojukwu and Awolowo shortly before the war started? All soldiers were requested to return to their respective regions of origin. Did those from the north vacate the western region? Wasn't it a cause for concern to Awolowo? Didn't he tell that to Ojukwu?
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by LegendHero(m): 10:51pm On Nov 27, 2019
Yujin:

You claimed to have access to virtually all information regarding Nigerian history especially at that critical time. Do you mind if I ask you to post the transcript of the discussion between Ojukwu and Awolowo shortly before the war started? All soldiers were requested to return to their respective regions of origin. Did those from the north vacate the western region? Wasn't it a cause for concern to Awolowo? Didn't he tell that to Ojukwu?

What you are doing is akin to running against time. Why should the soldiers of Northern origin vacate the western region?

What time range do you think the order to vacate each region emanate and do you even know the meaning of that? With lagos as the seat of the federal government, why do you think there is a need for all soldier of northern origin to leave the western region when it houses the FG seat of power and the Yoruba ain’t complaining or involved in the initial pogrom .

Also, think about it. If Col. Banjo was able to advance successfully pass Ore, do you think there won’t be casualties on the Yoruba side? Don’t you think the Biafran soldiers will kill a lot of civilian before getting to Lagos from Ore as you claimed? Or you think the Biafran soldiers will be distributing biscuits and salad on their way to Lagos?

@the bolded, Stop listening to Kanu’s propaganda and try to at least put words to reason first before saying it.

Also, I will try to check if I can see anything of such in the archives. That’s if such exists!

2 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Omoodua007: 1:06am On Nov 28, 2019
LegendHero:

You should know by now igbos need to ever my excuse in the books not to take responsibility for the calamity of what hit them it was first Gowon released awolowo now it’s awolowo complained to ojuku despite their own leaders saying Gowon released awolowo

2 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Omoodua007: 1:07am On Nov 28, 2019
LegendHero:

What you are doing is akin to running against time. Why should the soldiers of Northern origin vacate the western region?

What time range do you think the order to vacate each region emanate and do you even know the meaning of that? With lagos as the seat of the federal government, why do you think there is a need for all soldier of northern origin to leave the western region when it houses the FG seat of power and the Yoruba ain’t complaining or involved in the initial pogrom .

Also, think about it. If Col. Banjo was able to advance successfully pass Ore, do you think there won’t be casualties on the Yoruba side? Don’t you think the Biafran soldiers will kill a lot of civilian before getting to Lagos from Ore as you claimed? Or you think the Biafran soldiers will be distributing biscuits and salad on their way to Lagos?

@the bolded, Stop listening to Kanu’s propaganda and try to at least put words to reason first before saying it.

Also, I will try to check if I can see anything of such in the archives. That’s if such exists!

Follow radio Biafra and you will see the source of the fake news

1 Like

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 5:07am On Nov 28, 2019
LegendHero:

Why will Biafran soldiers kill civilians on their way to the sit of power? We're Biafran soldiers that insensitive? Is Banjo not there with them till the end? Check your history again. If nothing of such exits, then I'll apologize to you.
On another note, the coup that killed Ironsi; was it a Nigerian coup or a northern coup? If it was a Nigerian coup, why wasn't Ogundipe made to take the mantle of leadership since he was the next most senior military officer? Were Yoruba soldiers part of the so called 'counter coup' or was it a pure northern affair?
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by LegendHero(m): 5:18am On Nov 28, 2019
Yujin:

Why will Biafran soldiers kill civilians on their way to the sit of power? We're Biafran soldiers that insensitive? Is Banjo not there with them till the end? Check your history again. If nothing of such exits, then I'll apologize to you.
On another note, the coup that killed Ironsi; was it a Nigerian coup or a northern coup? If it was a Nigerian coup, why wasn't Ogundipe made to take the mantle of leadership since he was the next most senior military officer? Were Yoruba soldiers part of the so called 'counter coup' or was it a pure northern affair?

Civilians are the major casualty of war in any terrain. You have to visualize this like a reality, if the Biafran forces are advancing, they will be met with stiff force from the federal troops and there will be crossfire. If the Biafrans suceed, they will need to establish their command base in the cities they pass through and soldiers are not always friendly in war time with their enemies especially when the Biafran military will be wary of the Yoruba civilian not to sell them out.

Also, stop mentioning Col. Banjo in your example, he is just Yoruba by name. His allegiance is to the flag of Biafra and he won't hesitate to kill his fellow Yorubas if they stand in his way. Even if he is reluctant to kill the Yorubas what about the rest of his Biafran armies? They can even kill him if he hesitate or you don't think the biafran soldiers they can mutineer against him ?

The counter coup was a majorly northern affair and it was mainly because of the revenge against the Igbos in the first coup. Nigeria problem is that we have no real historical happenings of event during the war and a lot of people wrote books based on lies to project themselves like a hero.

This thread shows Yakubu Gowon released Awolowo but we all say Ojukwu lying in a video interview he gave sometime ago that he released Awolowo. That is an example of lies that distorted history.
https://www.nairaland.com/5553170/re-more-absolutely-convincing-evidence#84429418
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 6:08am On Nov 28, 2019
LegendHero:

Civilians are the major casualty of war in any terrain. You have to visualize this like a reality, if the Biafran forces are advancing, they will be met with stiff force from the federal troops and there will be crossfire. If the Biafrans suceed, they will need to establish their command base in the cities they pass through and soldiers are not always friendly in war time with their enemies especially when the Biafran military will be wary of the Yoruba civilian not to sell them out.

Also, stop mentioning Col. Banjo in your example, he is just Yoruba by name. His allegiance is to the flag of Biafra and he won't hesitate to kill his fellow Yorubas if they stand in his way. Even if he is reluctant to kill the Yorubas what about the rest of his Biafran armies? They can even kill him if he hesitate or you don't think the biafran soldiers they can mutineer against him ?

The counter coup was a majorly northern affair and it was mainly because of the revenge against the Igbos in the first coup. Nigeria problem is that we have no real historical happenings of event during the war and a lot of people wrote books based on lies to project themselves like a hero.

This thread shows Yakubu Gowon released Awolowo but we all say Ojukwu lying in a video interview he gave sometime ago that he released Awolowo. That is an example of lies that distorted history.
https://www.nairaland.com/5553170/re-more-absolutely-convincing-evidence#84429418
You see neither you or I were there when these events unfolded; all we write here is based on the inferences from what we read from authors who either were active participants, very close persons to the original actors or historians. We can be 100% certain in some grey areas especially those that weren't covered in video or radio transcript. My argument here is as regards the treatment against my people particularly my generation for events that we hardly know about. This happens everywhere and failure to address will see everyone suffering the consequence.
If it was a majorly a northern affair, you should then see why Ojukwu was adamant in not accepting the rulership of Gowon. Fajuyi- the military administrator of the West was killed, no one asked questions about it. Ogundipe the highest military officer in the Nigerian army was disregarded; no one queried about it. If Ojukwu was to just throw in the towel at that time, it means Southern Nigeria was a territory filled with weaklings. He tried to see to a peaceful resolution of the tension by ensuring a round table discussion was held with international witnesses around at Aburi. This was equally a rare opportunity for both the West and MidWest region to neutralize the impending domination coming. There everyone was free to speak and records were taken. Agreements were made and compromises accepted. Why wasn't it implemented after they all returned to Nigeria? Ojukwu tried his best.
As for Nigeria having no real history available for the younger generation to learn from; who's to blame? If truly the victors narrative is the gospel truth, why don't they teach it in schools? Why did they stop history classes in schools?You see, not everything my own person tells me I wholly believe. I reason over things for myself and infer my own conclusions. I don't have to agree with everything a man says simply because I share the same group or nation with him. This is me personally. The East was and is still being treated badly; this is my grouse with Nigeria and anything within my reach to do to assuage the situation at home will be explored.
Finally, what I noticed is that most Yorubas think Biafra is all about conquest and as such fear we might invade them. I can't seem to understand such a reasoning. A people who were massacred and are struggling to defend themselves don't go up invading another territory altogether. That's suicidal. This was why Ojukwu chose Banjo for the task. If Biafran forces were able to dislodge the northern soldiers from Ore and say Ijebu Ode, Banjo could easily convince lots of Yoruba youths to form a resistance against the remaining northern soldiers and as such flush them away from the whole West and effectively, all of southern Nigeria. That was the plan. Unfortunately, I guess it was misunderstood. The rest is now history and Nigeria being in the wrong hands have placed us where we are today.
NB: Going to your new thread now
Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by LegendHero(m): 6:17am On Nov 28, 2019
Yujin:

You see neither you or I were there when these events unfolded; all we write here is based on the inferences from what we read from authors who either were active participants, very close persons to the original actors or historians. We can be 100% certain in some grey areas especially those that weren't covered in video or radio transcript. My argument here is as regards the treatment against my people particularly my generation for events that we hardly know about. This happens everywhere and failure to address will see everyone suffering the consequence.
If it was a majorly a northern affair, you should then see why Ojukwu was adamant in not accepting the rulership of Gowon. Fajuyi- the military administrator of the West was killed, no one asked questions about it. Ogundipe the highest military officer in the Nigerian army was disregarded; no one queried about it. If Ojukwu was to just throw in the towel at that time, it means Southern Nigeria was a territory filled with weaklings. He tried to see to a peaceful resolution of the tension by ensuring a round table discussion was held with international witnesses around at Aburi. This was equally a rare opportunity for both the West and MidWest region to neutralize the impending domination coming. There everyone was free to speak and records were taken. Agreements were made and compromises accepted. Why wasn't it implemented after they all returned to Nigeria? Ojukwu tried his best.
As for Nigeria having no real history available for the younger generation to learn from; who's to blame? If truly the victors narrative is the gospel truth, why don't they teach it in schools? Why did they stop history classes in schools?You see, not everything my own person tells me I wholly believe. I reason over things for myself and infer my own conclusions. I don't have to agree with everything a man says simply because I share the same group or nation with him. This is me personally. The East was and is still being treated badly; this is my grouse with Nigeria and anything within my reach to do to assuage the situation at home will be explored.
Finally, what I noticed is that most Yorubas think Biafra is all about conquest and as such fear we might invade them. I can't seem to understand such a reasoning. A people who were massacred and are struggling to defend themselves don't go up invading another territory altogether. That's suicidal. This was why Ojukwu chose Banjo for the task. If Biafran forces were able to dislodge the northern soldiers from Ore and say Ijebu Ode, Banjo could easily convince lots of Yoruba youths to form a resistance against the remaining northern soldiers and as such flush them away from the whole West and effectively, all of southern Nigeria. That was the plan. Unfortunately, I guess it was misunderstood. The rest is now history and Nigeria being in the wrong hands have placed us where we are today.
NB: Going to your new thread now

I understood where you’re coming from and you sure have a point. Ojukwu had no other choice than to declare that war due to the killings of the Igbos in the North. Initially Ojukwu first told the Igbos to remain in the north even after the first killings took place coz he thought they will resolve it at first but he had to call them to leave the North after the northerners killed more people in the second and third massacre.

But left the me, the war could be avoided. He (Ojukwu) was too haste in decision making, he ought to have prepared well before the war especially in the aspect of forming alliance.

Awolowo hated the North initially coz they were part of the people that put him in prison and the resentment for the north in the western region among the people is more pronounced. But Ironsi was not calculative, had it been he released Awolowo, he would have amassed the alliance of the Yorubas with the Igbos. Gowon releasing Awolowo was the best decision ever to be made in Nigeria coz not only did he pacify the Yorubas, he employed the brain of Awolowo who proved more important in winning the Biafra war that later ensued.

Awolowo is a brain machine, having him as your enemy during that war might be the worst decision ever and even the western press re-echoed that thought multiple times.

3 Likes

Re: "Nnamdi Azikiwe Once Called Igbo ‘rebels,’ Started Problems We Are Suffering" by Yujin(m): 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2019
LegendHero:

I understood where you’re coming from and you sure have a point. Ojukwu had no other choice than to declare that war due to the killings of the Igbos in the North. Initially Ojukwu first told the Igbos to remain in the north even after the first killings took place coz he thought they will resolve it at first but he had to call them to leave the North after the northerners killed more people in the second and third massacre.

But left the me, the war could be avoided. He (Ojukwu) was too haste in decision making, he ought to have prepared well before the war especially in the aspect of forming alliance.

Awolowo hated the North initially coz they were part of the people that put him in prison and the resentment for the north in the western region among the people is more pronounced. But Ironsi was not calculative, had it been he released Awolowo, he would have amassed the alliance of the Yorubas with the Igbos. Gowon releasing Awolowo was the best decision ever to be made in Nigeria coz not only did he pacify the Yorubas, he employed the brain of Awolowo who proved more important in winning the Biafra war that later ensued.

Awolowo is a brain machine, having him as your enemy during that war might be the worst decision ever and even the western press re-echoed that thought multiple times.
I've to agree with you on the brain prowess of Awolowo. No doubt he had it even Ojukwu knew it. Ojukwu never intended to make enemies from the West hence I insisted on refusing that the push towards Lagos was meant to annex Yorubaland. That would be foolish and suicidal. Did you manage to get the transcript of Ojukwu-Awolowo meeting shortly before the war? I can still remember where Ojukwu said this to Awo in Yoruba language. 'Baba, ati n ló tiwa'- it was on a friendly note. Pls, do post the transcript here if you have it.
Now, I have to disagree with you that Ojukwu declared war on Nigeria. Show me expressly in any book where Ojukwu was said to declare war on Nigeria. He after been mandated by the Eastern assembly declared Biafra immediately Gowon violated one of the core agreements they had at Aburi. That point was that no decision binding on the federation would be effected without the agreements of the respective military administrators of all the regions. Gowon unilaterally created states breaking the Eastern region into three states without any agreement at the SMC. That was an affront and we could see his intent. In a bid to nullify the effect of the state creation, Ojukwu declared Biafra as mandated by the Eastern assembly. Gowon and whosoever shared his ambition declared war on Eastern Nigeria (Biafra). Can you disprove me on this?
Personally, I feel Awolowo saw an opportunity to hit Zik back after Zik gave his blessings for the creation of the Midwest region earlier in 1963 after a plesbicite. This move of breaking the East at that critical time was a point of no return. It is akin to what the former governor of Oyo did to the Olubadan when he created new kingship stools to spite him or what Ganduje did to Sanusi when he broke Kano emirates all in the bid to whittle Sanusi's influence and power. You see no one will take it lightly at such a critical time.
As for Ojukwu going to war without full preparation, I will blame him though I understand he was running out of time. He shouldn't have made that huge mistake having intelligently predicted most of the moves of the fulani led Nigerian government. He should have known better to see that the British never liked the East. It was an improper preparation like you rightly said which clearly showed that Ojukwu never intended to fight a war. Again, I feel he was banking on the religious affiliation with the Europeans (West) to assist the East. The rest is history.
Finally, a war aimed at unification is never fought like Nigeria did to Biafra. Using starvation and whole wiping out of communities? Do you see how senseless the present Boko haram madness is being handled by the present government? They're treated as erring family members but all manner of debasement was unleashed on the East. Do you see how billions have been allocated for the NE commission while nothing was earmarked for the East? The injustice of Nigeria against the East is sickening.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB ESN kills man for trying to video them / Photo: Tinubu Join Peter Obi Supporters Labour Challenge / Breaking:gov Fubara Directs All Rivers Commissioners Appointed By Wike To Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.