Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,451 members, 7,770,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:27 AM

5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description (8511 Views)

What Is The Job Description Of A Direct Sales Agent In A Bank? / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:49am On Nov 27, 2019
It’s time to realize how important it is to tailor your CV to the job you are applying to. I can’t begin to tell you how many CVs I have received over the years with off subject objectives or long, lengthy CVs that leave me wondering what key expertise a candidate brings to the table. It’s not amazing that you might not know exactly how to put it in action. What does tailoring your CV actually involve? How many changes do you need to make? What content should you focused on? It might sound like a lot work, but it’s really quite manageable. Here are a few tips for tailoring your CV to the job;

1. REVIEW THE JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS

Once you’re ready to apply for job postings, review the job descriptions and qualifications and make edits to your CV-including rearranging/modifying your qualifications summary so that your key accomplishments match those required in the job. Next, use the wording the employer uses to describe the ideal candidate to describe your accomplishments. Your end result should be a CV that mirrors the requirements the employer seeks.

2. MAKE SURE YOUR OBJECTIVE FALLS IN LINE WITH THE POSITION

Your CV objective is also one of the major parts on your CV, other than your name and contact information. The objective gives your future employer an idea of what your desires are in your next position. Make sure that your objective falls in line with the position you are applying to. For instance, if you are applying to an individual contributor role such as Equipment Engineer, please make sure your objective does not mention that you are looking for a position to utilize your management skills or something similar off base.

3. KEEP IT CONCISE

There are few things more painful for a recruiter or hiring manager than receiving a 5 paged CV. If your CV is longer than 2 pages, you may likely be passes by for a shorter, more concise CV. No one has time to read pages and pages of your experience when weeding through hundreds of CVs. Center your CV on key highlights and also create a more detailed portfolio of experience that you can provide in your first interview.

4. CUT OUT EVERYTHING IRRELEVANT

When it comes to how to fill out the rest of your CV-listing other activities, volunteering, skills and hobbies-you don’t have to make sure everything is catered to just the keywords even though they should be the focus. However, you should omit anything that isn’t in some way relevant to the job in general. Proficiency with various software programs is relevant, as are your volunteer experiences that involve creating ads and online content, so definitely include them. However, your hobbies of cooking and sea glass collecting will not make your resume but could break it, so you should absolutely not include that type of information.

5. DON’T FORGET TO KEEP IT REAL

Lastly, while I strongly suggest you take the time to tailor each CV to the job you’re applying for, the customization has to be real and reasonably in proportion to the rest of your resume or it will look like you’re trying to snow them. So by all means keep it real, while still making sure they get the suggest picture of how well you do fit. That’s the whole point. Of course, if you don’t really fit, you can customize until the cows come home and you won’t get the job. You’re just working to make sure you maximize their understanding of what a great fit you could be.

https://patrickokunima.com/5-tips-to-help-you-tailor-your-cv-to-the-job-description/

2 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:20am On Nov 27, 2019
I hope it was helpful.
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by soleexx(m): 8:22am On Nov 27, 2019
Issorite
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by 1kbusiness: 8:23am On Nov 27, 2019
grin

This world is strange oh.

People are even getting jobs without CV's

It will work out in the end sha.

Arrange your social media posts for your season's greetings early oh.

We are still very affordable. Start sending in your messages now.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by saydfact(m): 8:23am On Nov 27, 2019
Truth is.. Getting the best CV the world has seen and knowing nothing or little can't get you a job.

Know your trade, referrals sells better than CV.

People can write a great CV for you, they can't do the job for you.

Goodluck

7 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by aylive02(m): 8:23am On Nov 27, 2019
Awesome
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by koffsman(m): 8:24am On Nov 27, 2019
Very educative a lot always forget u will be applying for a sales rep and u will send a cv stating u are a marketer them
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Noblejay7: 8:25am On Nov 27, 2019
In this clime what you need is the right connection.
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by safindakas(m): 8:27am On Nov 27, 2019
bottom line. is nt what u kwn is who u knw.
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Elitedezigns: 8:27am On Nov 27, 2019
Thanks , I will apply this tips and see if CV performance in job search will be improved.
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 27, 2019
Make I just see 7million first
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by money121(m): 8:29am On Nov 27, 2019
Ok
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Guzel: 8:34am On Nov 27, 2019
Lol
All these CV tailoring agents. I spent so much without getting an invite irrespective of my first class degree.
I got my current lecturing job in a Federal University without a CV. Just a call, booooom my letter was presented to me the next day. I presented my CV and application letter after I accepted my offer.
My people forget CV grammar, create networks!

11 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Businesslocator(m): 8:34am On Nov 27, 2019
send free sms via gmail
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by StrikeBack(m): 8:35am On Nov 27, 2019
Where are the tips to MECHANIC our CV
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Briells: 8:47am On Nov 27, 2019
A real estate firm (Gofa & Associates) in Abuja is in need of a Civil Engineering graduate for immediate employment, salary is N40,000. Interested candidates should call 09-2915039 (candidate should reside preferably at Lokogoma axis)
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Appswheel(m): 9:11am On Nov 27, 2019
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by lalopeto: 9:12am On Nov 27, 2019
nice post
fashion designer is needed. MUST BE A PROFESSIONAL THAT CAN SEW BOTH MALE AND FEMALE WARES, PREFERABLY FEMALE WARES. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO WORK UNDER LITTLE OR NO SUPERVISION. LOCATION IS IN IBADAN OYO STATE. CONTACT ME ON 08130009525 OR 08060274015
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by bukhety(f): 9:44am On Nov 27, 2019
I sent u a mail, u never replied
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by keryj(f): 10:31am On Nov 27, 2019
Briells:
A real estate firm (Gofa & Associates) in Abuja is in need of a Civil Engineering graduate for immediate employment, salary is N40,000. Interested candidates should call 09-2915039 (candidate should reside preferably at Lokogoma axis)

Hope they get to require a real estate graduate. Do refer or tag me please
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 27, 2019
Guzel:
Lol
All these CV tailoring agents. I spent so much without getting an invite irrespective of my first class degree.
I got my current lecturing job in a Federal University without a CV. Just a call, booooom my letter was presented to me the next day. I presented my CV and application letter after I accepted my offer.
How can one create excellent networks?
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by rinzaugustine: 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

https://patrickokunima.com/5-tips-to-help-you-tailor-your-cv-to-the-job-description/

If only those youths will read this and leave threads where they post afonja flantino ..They will waste their times searching for likes and tomorrow they will say Nigeria is hard with no opportunities..smh for youths of nowadays
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Tailor Your CV To The Job Description by oluwashedy: 2:25pm On Jan 28, 2020
Guzel:
Lol
Lolsss baba the matter tire me. You really get luck o

(1) (Reply)

Access Bank Interview / 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately / Househelp And Nanny Needed In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.