Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients (36366 Views)

Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals / COVID-19 Vaccines Side Effects: Lagos Residents Share Their Experiences / Harassment From Male Doctors: Female Nurses/doctors, Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by helpee(m): 5:05pm On Nov 30, 2019
DedeNkem:
A rich guy I know, rushed his wife to the hospital for an emergency medical condition. They bluntly refused to attend to her because the guy didn't have cash on him to deposit.

The guy begged them to treat his wife while he goes to find an ATM to collect money. They still refused. He had to leave his wife alone laying there, to find an ATM.

When he returned with cash it was already too late. His wife was dead. They tried to resuscitate her but the effort was useless.

As the heartbroken husband tried to take his wife's corpse away, the useless hospital demanded he pay ₦150k. The guy dared them to stop him. He left with the corpse without any resistance.

Nigerian hospitals are death traps, some are filled with incompetent doctors and nurses.

keep deceiving yourself. They refused to treat her yet they demanded for 150k. Does it make sense? Of course it doesn't. This is what likely happened....he took the wife to the hospital when she was already dying. The hospital knew she only had 50/50 chance and knowing the Nigerian mentality, they rightly demanded for money cos once a patient dies in Nigeria family won't want to pay.While doing that they were still attending to her. They probably started her on oxygen and started treatment right away while the husband went to look for money. When he came back, the woman died and he outrightly refused to pay hiding under GRIEF and still went ahead spoiling the name of the hospital. So the hospital was right in demanding for their deposit in the first instance. Has it ever occured to you that from what you just said here...the MAN REFUSED TO PAY DESPITE THE HOSPITAL SERVICES AND YOU ARE STILL BLAMING THEM. It is not everyone that visit a hospital that can be saved especially when you present so late but you still need to pay for their services. Whatever made the woman to die so fast could only mean the condition was already critical...they only remembered the hospital when it was too late and the only offence of the hospital was that they asked for money. I AM 100 PERCENT SURE IF THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING THEY WONT BE BOLD ENOUGH TO ASK FOR 150K

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by DedeNkem: 8:41pm On Nov 30, 2019
helpee:
keep deceiving yourself. They refused to treat her yet they demanded for 150k. Does it make sense? Of course it doesn't. This is what likely happened....he took the wife to the hospital when she was already dying. The hospital knew she only had 50/50 chance and knowing the Nigerian mentality, they rightly demanded for money cos once a patient dies in Nigeria family won't want to pay.While doing that they were still attending to her. They probably started her on oxygen and started treatment right away while the husband went to look for money. When he came back, the woman died and he outrightly refused to pay hiding under GRIEF and still went ahead spoiling the name of the hospital. So the hospital was right in demanding for their deposit in the first instance. Has it ever occured to you that from what you just said here...the MAN REFUSED TO PAY DESPITE THE HOSPITAL SERVICES AND YOU ARE STILL BLAMING THEM. It is not everyone that visit a hospital that can be saved especially when you present so late but you still need to pay for their services. Whatever made the woman to die so fast could only mean the condition was already critical...they only remembered the hospital when it was too late and the only offence of the hospital was that they asked for money. I AM 100 PERCENT SURE IF THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING THEY WONT BE BOLD ENOUGH TO ASK FOR 150K

They billed the guy for only trying to resuscitate the woman (that was their stupid reason). In other words, it was like giving medicine after death!

I don't support anyone who absconds after receiving a legitimate treatment from any hospital or clinic, it is very, very wrong! I have to also state that there are a lot of quack doctors and nurses!
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by yeyeosoronga: 9:42pm On Nov 30, 2019
DedeNkem:

They billed the guy for only trying to resuscitate the woman (that was their stupid reason). In other words, it was like giving medicine after death!

I don't support anyone who absconds after receiving a legitimate treatment from any hospital or clinic, it is very, very wrong! I have to also state that there are a lot of quack doctors and nurses!

Resusucitaion costs more than normal treatment. Emergency services are more expensive worldwide, and even though they wouldn't deny you treatment, the bill they bring afterwards na ogbonge.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by yeyeosoronga: 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2019
helpee:
take what personally? You are the one that is lacking in the so called education. The inadequacy of medical practice in Nigeria started with lack of equipment because our poorly trained engineers have failed us. So we can't point out the problem in medical practice without telling you that you are a FAILURE FIRST. Give us equipment first. The engineers that are developing sophisticated medical equipment in America don't have two heads. Stop pointing out the problem in medical profession....help us to solve it by working. We are not even asking for CT SCAN YET...GIVE US THERMOMETER FIRST. Then you will qualify to point out the so called inadequacies...until then shut the Bleep up because you have failed the doctors

Pls, stop shaking this table o... Are there real engineers in Nigeria, or only theoretical ones? Even technicians do a better job.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by yeyeosoronga: 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2019
maestroferddi:
Well, the consolation here is that there are few doctors in Nigeria who are making the most of what is available to make a difference.

The rest, like people like you, will continue whining about working conditions forgetting that the impairment affecting professionals in Nigeria is not exclusive to doctors.

Let the reform begin with change of attitude.

Egotism is something that has to be managed. Failure begins when people ascribe infallibilty to themselves so much so that when doctors are told to mend their ways, you get the funny rejoinder that they graduated top of their high school classes.

My brother, the notion that people are envious of doctors is a figment of the imagination.

People just want value. Period.

You can not get value for nothing my brother, the law of nature doesn't work that way. That is only a figment of people's imagination.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by DedeNkem: 10:00pm On Nov 30, 2019
yeyeosoronga:

Resusucitaion costs more than normal treatment. Emergency services are more expensive worldwide, and even though they wouldn't deny you treatment, the bill they bring afterwards na ogbonge.

I don't care if it costs billions! They fact is that the poor woman didn't receive any treatment she might have needed to be alive! In other words, she received NO treatment when she was alive!
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by yeyeosoronga: 10:01pm On Nov 30, 2019
anselm791:

are you even in Nigeria?
you don't know the court is only second useless to the engineers?
hang in there, we are bashing the lawyers next, then you'd prolly understand why Sowere is still in detention even after perfecting bail conditions.

Tables are being shaken everywhere ooooo...
And I'm loving everybit of it.
Who else is on the table?, hold tight and don't fall off o, because if you fall off the table and break ya leg, Naija Drs are not smiling o grin

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by joyandfaith: 7:23am On Dec 01, 2019
alsudaes1:

That's the major point raised by virtually all of them, MONEY!

Families spent millions of naira on burial, thousands of naira on naming ceremony, but find it difficult to pay doctors. I am aware thousands of naira patients are spending on herbal and quack treatments but could not pay hospitals. In some cases, after serious complications have been set in they will rush to hospitals wanting doctors to do magic. I blame doctors managing hospitals for those nonsense. if I manage hospital,patients cannot run because I will employ legal officers who will work directly with clinical staff. Biometric capturing of next of kin,use of guarantors form,setting up loan recovery team. Hospital is business not charity.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by maestroferddi: 1:16pm On Dec 01, 2019
yeyeosoronga:

You can not get value for nothing my brother, the law of nature doesn't work that way. That is only a figment of people's imagination.
Are doctors not paid for their services?

Pecuniary fixation will lead you nowhere...
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ewawumi(f): 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2019
I am 1000% with you!!!
yeyeosoronga:

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by TONYE001(m): 11:57am On Dec 02, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bala Mohammed Authorises The Use Of Chloroquine For Treatment Of Coronavirus / Young Lady To Be Buried On Her Birthday After Tragic Fire Mishap.Graphic Photos / My Experience As An Egg Donor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.