Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol (4576 Views)

American Idol (2009) Tonight / American Idol 2008 / American Idol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by omoge(f): 3:30am On May 25, 2007
it's like i wasted 4months watching them religiously tuesdays and wednesday, lol, i love that Bushbaby and glad he won something, lol

for Jordin, she is okay to win but i had thot Melinda will win. Mel sang real good than all of them. but Jordin am sure has that people person look. But her smiles are too fakey  grin

Sanjaya was just running around yesterday again shaking hands with his crying little girlfriend, lol that girl still there hahaa

and those african little kids i think from South africa did a great job singing during the show wow

well, i enjoyed watching it from start to finish this year, lucky me. I wish Jordin lots of luck. hope she gets to the same level as Carrie Underwood, Fantasia Barrino and the rest from last year's who have made it now, like Chris D and co .
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by omoge(f): 3:47am On May 25, 2007
del
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 3:53am On May 25, 2007
Melinda was the best vocal, Jordin was the second best. She won because she beat Melinda on one score, marketability.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by BabyCakes(f): 4:47am On May 25, 2007
i watched the show from start to finish, and as soon as lakisha left, i began to notice some foul play, @ seun, i disagree with you saying beyonce is above average! Beyonce is a fantastic perfomer and a very good singer with a wide vocal range, just admit you dont like her for your personal reasons! If she's above average in your books, then who's top of the line for you??

As for jordin winning, i agree with those people who say you dont have to win AI to be successful, thanks to chris daughtry and j.hudson, i dont even think blake should have been in the finals! the contestants this year were nothing to write home about
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 5:01am On May 25, 2007
BabyCakes:

i watched the show from start to finish, and as soon as lakisha left, i began to notice some foul play,

If Lakisha had won i would have smelt foul play. Face it, she's not as good as Jordin or Melinda. She cant pitch well without shouting.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by ryu11(m): 8:46am On May 25, 2007
PEOPLE, A big HI to everyone in the house, just some observations. i didn't exactly follow every episode on the show and a good many i watched without sound because i was at the gym and the background music drowned that of the shows, (gestures and body language), however i watched several of the key performances and came to the following conclusions.

like D said earlier.

[quote][/quote], Melinda was the best vocal, Jordin was the second best. She won because she beat Melinda on one score, marketability.

.the show is about marketability not talent. thats why the viewing public is asked to vote. naturally Jordin comes in a more complete marketable product (apppeals to the lot that voted her) Melinda doesn't. Besides that Jordin is young and a fast learner; she grew on the show, by the time she is 29(Melinda's age), she'll probably be as good as Melinda. end of story.

some noteable showmates:

Lakisha[b]: "it aint over till the Fat woman sings"[/b] talk about Kelly Price with bad dentition. Kelly is prettier and sings better.

Blake: " great performer" however he'll need to develop his own signature style. he is so so Jimiroquai like. he lacks the looks too.

Sanjaya: "fine boi no talent". the fact he lasted that long just goes to show how important "LOOKS" are in show biz, afterall it's called "show" biz for a reason, another why Melinda got kicked out when she did, it wasn't about racisim. And the boi is a charmer, go to the website and watch his best performance "Besame Mucho"

That about it. i won't comment on anyone else, they either lacked talent or looks completely.

Cheers people. grin grin grin grin angry angry sad sad

Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 11:39am On May 25, 2007
Melinda was the best vocal, Jordin was the second best.
I'm not convinced about that. Regardless, the gap between them is like the gap between the USA and Rwanda.

the show is about marketability not talent. thats why the viewing public is asked to vote.
The show is neither about marketability or talent. It's about getting people to vote with their precious dollars. wink
A musician like Melinda with a super voice is more marketable than a slightly above average cute teddy bear.
A musician like Melinda that can make you feel a song with the way she moves is more marketable than a statue!

but Jordin am sure has that people person look.
People are saying she has what "people" want, but "people" is you and I. If we don't like her, how can "people" like her? Jordin doesn't have much of anything that people want: voice, performance ability, or sex appeal!

She is 'cute' though. Cute like a teddy bear. Cute like a seven year old girl's nice elder sister. Not as an entertainer! She reminds me of 'cute' Diana Degarmo, Fantasia Barrino's rival, whose voice is equally forgettable.

Sanjaya: "fine boi no talent". the fact he lasted that long just goes to show how important "LOOKS" are in show biz,
Sanjaya's voice may not be the best, but he can perform and he looks fine. That's 2/3! Jordin has basically 0/3!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Orikinla(m): 11:58am On May 25, 2007
Davidylan has said it all.
He knows what the American  Music Industry wants now.
The younger, prettier and sexier, the better.
That is what is selling now.
Jordin at 17 has  more mileage and patronage.
And of course, more cleavage too. grin
Pretty, sexy and juicy!

Melinda DooLittle at 29 is an old gal for them and physically, she is a beautiful WOMAN in the African characteristics of African womanhood, But not a poster/cover girl or a calendar girl.

They want a sex symbol who can make the millions of teen boys masturbate while hooked on her with their iPods and and the millions of teenage girls are seeing themselves as having what Jordin Sparks has to hit it off in High School and colleges.

Jordin will soon lose her baby fat and with make over on Sunset Boulevard or Hollywood Boulevard, she will be hotter than July.

Just wait for the entertainment gossips to start the hype.
Jordin and xxxx in hot romance after a duet.

Randy American music executives are already thinking of how to lay her this summer and Jordin says she has no boyfriend. But I doubt if she is still a virgin at 17 as she looks 25!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by zigbo(f): 12:17pm On May 25, 2007
phew!! after reading some blabs up in here
american idol is more or less democracy, so even if u were one of the best singers eg stephanie,brandon,phil,melinda etc
4me, u can get kicked off either becos u are black ,bald,or u dnt ve a neck lol but seriously kiddin or uhmmm any other reasons.

as for me though i liked melinda i loved sanji ,i was hoping it wud ve been her nd jordin battling it out for the top price, becos with blake in the finale it was as if i had watched the show b4 very predictible.

I alslo think jordin was the perfect american idol cool ,so young yet very powerfull vocals, b4 she's 24 her voice will be xplosive

i dont know abt y'all but i am still votin sanjaya,hopefully my votes will count  grin

for the records jordin is nt a sex symbol at all she is way too huge nd where is the cleavage @orikinla going buy ur judgement stephanie edwards wud ve gone a long way cos she is pretty do i also need to mention hayley nd last i checked the only perfect american idol was carrie underwoods someone help me if my memory does nt serve me well
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Orikinla(m): 12:26pm On May 25, 2007
zigbo:

phew!! after reading some blabs up in here
american idol is more or less democracy, so even if u were one of the best singers eg stephanie,brandon,phil,melinda etc
4me, u can get kicked off either because u are black ,bald,or u dnt ve a neck lol but seriously kiddin or uhmmm any other reasons.

as for me though i liked melinda i loved sanji ,i was hoping it would ve been her nd jordin battling it out for the top price, because with blake in the finale it was as if i had watched the show before very predictible.

I alslo think jordin was the perfect american idol cool ,so young yet very powerfull vocals, before she's 24 her voice will be xplosive

i don't know about y'all but i am still votin sanjaya,hopefully my votes will count grin

for the records jordin is nt a sex symbol at all she is way too huge nd where is the cleavage @orikinla going buy your judgement stephanie edwards would ve gone a long way because she is pretty do i also need to mention hayley nd last i checked the only perfect american idol was carrie underwoods someone help me if my memory does nt serve me well

You are a babe, so you cannot see what a guy sees in a babe.
I give two thumbs up to Jordin Sparks's boobs.

Jordin Sparks will make any Nigerian Senator in Abuja have wet dreams oh! grin
In fact, she looks like an Nne, open wide biko. grin
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by tasiana(m): 12:40pm On May 25, 2007
thot it was a singing competition but i now realise goodlooks comes to play in almost everythn these days.
Melinda Dolittle shld ve won that competition,(even Simon agrees)thats my personal opinion.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by mamazita1(f): 1:29pm On May 25, 2007
People! People! People! When will you learn? sometimes the best person doesnt get the prize? Remember Jennifer Hudson? Chris Daughtry the bald guy arguably with the best voice in the last season got voted off in favour Taylor Hicks!!! (Taylor who?) And according to Clive Davis (Former CEO Arista Records, now CEO J Records) Chris Daughtry to date has most sold cd of any new artist; American Idol or main stream artist. It just goes to show you that Melinda might not be the winner but she could get have a very great music career ahead of her.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by ryu11(m): 2:05pm On May 25, 2007
@Orikinla ---bros try some allusion, u don't have to spell everything out, for the sake of some underaged readers. However i agree with your point.

In the world of today, under all that marketing, they are selling one thing (SEX), not just records,  it sells, U think otherwise, check the top 40 best selling songs on the world chart. checkout the videos too. Now write out the names of all the female artist in the list and compare them. They're all very sexy hot  talented women. talent I'll find out is the last thing they have in common. Talent is important, but it doesn't sell alone. SEX sells more,

Have u watched Rhianna's New Video "Umbrella" , if u haven't please do so before u reply this post.

Betterstill, Beyonce and Sharia's "Beautiful Liar".

Jordin is cute and Fat, i'm sorry to say, "she needs to work out", however wait till you see her in a few months. Some time at the Gym, with alittle Tuck here and there and she'll be a siren.

Like Zigbo said I also think jordin was the perfect American idol  ,so young yet very powerfull vocals, before she's 24 her voice will be xplosive'

I can bet you it'll come to pass. you don't think they'll take her voice and put it on wax just yet. she'll be trained, i mentioned earlier, she grew on the show, as for those campaigning for Melinda, she been singing for years people. trust me , she sounds like the church choir leader, probably since she was ten, we've seen the best of Melinda, Jordin is yet to bloom, shes just budded.

Give her time. 17 is young.

About the condition of her hym***. Can't say from here. those of you who are sure. please intimate us, were u there?
[color=#990000]

Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by tng(f): 4:21pm On May 25, 2007
I agree with seun on the fact that jordin sparks is not a great singer.At the same time,i agree with davidylan that melinda is too old and not too goodlooking in my opinion.I wanted Lakisha to win but it was not to be. The whole idea behind the idol thing has beeen rubbished.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by gbemiel(f): 6:50pm On May 25, 2007
@seun
You can't judge jordin by her last performance alone, idols is predominantly a SINGING contest and she can sing (very well if i might add), ive watched jordin from her audtions at seattle till the end and she has a very good/powerfull voice. Personally my 2 favorites where melinda and jordin, but since melinda didnt make it to the top 2, jordin just had to win. JORDIN ROCKS!!!!
And how can u say shes not pretty/beautiful, duh!! !!!

@davidylan
i agree with your comments and i think melinda will turn out ok too because she has a very very good and powerfull voice and a lovely smile too.  she was the best vocalist on the show , Jordin  2nd  anyway they are all stars now,  so its allgood.

@everyone
watch the finale of west african idols this w/end 
OMAWUNMI ROCKS!!!!!   TIMI IS ALSO GOOD !
WHO WILL BE THE 1st W/A IDOL??
guess well all have till wait till sunday abi grin grin grin
well have a nice weekend ya'll
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by easimoni(m): 7:21pm On May 25, 2007
Methinks Blake will be a great entertainer. A few back-up dancers and watch Justin Timberlake & Usher. The song he did with Doug E. Fresh at the finale was the second best performance in idol history. My fave was when Mary J. Blige sang "one" with Elliot Yamin during the 06 finale.

Blake, keep your head up. Daughtry is selling more records than anyone else from the 06 group. Just stay away from Rueben Studdard's producers (and from his Chefs too grin)!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by omoge(f): 7:33pm On May 25, 2007
lol grin person must chop grin
Rueben Studdard's producers (and from his Chefs too )!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Orikinla(m): 8:22pm On May 25, 2007
Jordin may not become another booty and boobs shaking singer like most of the African American singers.

On a very personal note, I hardly get excited over Beyonce, Shakira, and the rest of them who are so obsessed with their sexuality that their best dance routines are the simulation of sex, with gyrating buttocks as they are shaking their booty and boobs. Even Akon got into trouble recently for unleashing the sexuality of a 15 year old girl in a musical video. Watch it here. And the girl-child Deena Alleyne said Hip-Hop made her do it. So, Hip-Hop makes our teenage girls to lose their innocence. And like R. Kelly, you could be really swept off your feet when you see a pretty and sexy teenage girl in America looking like a fully-grown woman, all bold and beautiful. And the music companies are using the female sexuality to sell CDs and downloads.

I see teenage secondary school girls clad in loose clothes or body-hugging pants and shaking their booty even in front of their young male teachers on sponsored TV Shows in Nigeria and I am really afraid of the future wives of our sons.

When the Sony BMG and others are looking at Miss. Jordin Sparks, they are seeing a commercial commodity to brand and market to millions of the MTV Generation in America and other parts of the world.

See what has happened to all the teen stars.
They have been used and dumped.

Can Jordin Sparks escape from the Hip-Hop fever?
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by adia(f): 11:15pm On May 25, 2007
@ Seun, Melinda Sparks? wink
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 11:15pm On May 25, 2007
"I can understand why they (Sparks and Lewis) both made it.
But I would have happily swapped either of them for Melinda, to be honest with you,",
Cowell said before Tuesday's show.
Simon has spoken. Let the matter now rest. I win! Source cheesy
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 12:53am On May 26, 2007
Seun:

Simon has spoken. Let the matter now rest. I win! Source cheesy

lol, you didnt win. We all said Melinda was hands down the best vocal. Look at Simons first sentence in the quote you made; "I can understand why they (Sparks and Lewis) both made it.". that has been my argument on this issue, Melinda should have won but since the voting population is not voting entirely based on vocal talent alone it was bound to be a Jordin victory.

dont worry, the winner doesnt always do best. Just compare Taylor Hicks and Chris Daugtry
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by iice(f): 5:14pm On May 26, 2007
Jordin's ok, not really my pick but i knew she was gonna win.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Gamine(f): 6:40pm On May 26, 2007
I reli thot Blake would win sha, undecided

i like Gordon abi na Jordin Sparks, cheesy
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 7:30pm On May 26, 2007
First of all, davidylan, vocals are the most important thing in music. When you're listening to a song on radio, you don't see the face of the people singing. The same applies when you're listening to music on your Ipod or CD player.

However, Melinda was not just the better vocalist. She was also a far better performer. She moves well on stage. As for her looks, there's nothing wrong with her looks. Jordin ''teddy" Sparks isn't particularly attractive herself.

However, Jordin Sparks has been chosen, and the management of American Idol is trying to play down Melinda's talent because they are stuck with Jordin Sparks. Even when Jordin sings rubbish, they must hype her. Poor them!

Simon has said it all. They would have preferred Melinda, but now they are stuck with Jordin and that's their cross. wink
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by zigbo(f): 8:09pm On May 26, 2007
jordin spark is an excellent singer too,i dont think she sings nonsense, from day one to finish she was consistent in her singing.

melinda has a lovely voice but then, with her voice i can go "yea i hrd that b4" wen she and the winans were singing in the finale i cudnt tell weather it was her or cece that was singing at the moment i.e to say if u wanted to hear a melinda voice go to a church dominated by black choristers, u will find it there.

nt hating,i love melinda u ve no idea. i wouldnt ve minded her being the A.idol.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by bigbumper(f): 8:29pm On May 26, 2007
Quote from davidylan

The larger market for music is the younger teenage group who are easily captivated not only by talent but are also looking for a role model in the artists they patronise. Unlike Melinda, Jordin is the kind of girl every teenage girl wants to model herself after, the kind of girl every mother would secretly want her daughter to look like.

Errrrr, speak for youirself, no one wants their daughter to be a humongous uk size 16 on top and 14 below (US size 12 on top and 8 below). Size 0 is the in thing now wink
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by neelsel(f): 8:37pm On May 26, 2007
big_bumper:

Errrrr, speak for youirself, no one wants their daughter to be a humongous uk size 16 on top and 14 below (US size 12 on top and 8 below). Size 0 is the in thing now wink

ROFLMSAO>>>>>>
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 26, 2007
big_bumper:

[Errrrr, speak for youirself, no one wants their daughter to be a humongous uk size 16 on top and 14 below (US size 12 on top and 8 below). Size 0 is the in thing now wink

errr its not about her size dear. i wont mind a size 12 daughter who is that talented, likeable, beautiful and above all understands what abstinence means. You can keep the size 0 air brains.  grin

zigbo:

jordin spark is an excellent singer too,i don't think she sings nonsense, from day one to finish she was consistent in her singing.

melinda has a lovely voice but then, with her voice i can go "yea i hrd that before" when she and the winans were singing in the finale i cudnt tell weather it was her or cece that was singing at the moment i.e to say if u wanted to hear a melinda voice go to a church dominated by black choristers, u will find it there.

nt hating,i love melinda u ve no idea. i wouldnt ve minded her being the A.idol.

you just spoke my mind. Melinda is good but you can find a girl like her in every black choir around the US. She's most likely going to have a career similar to Cece Winans and her idol Yolanda Adams. I doubt if Simon is interested in promoting a career in christian music.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by ricadelide(m): 8:55pm On May 26, 2007
i agree with most people on here;
Jordin has the best all round 'package' in terms of marketability; beauty, charm, age and a good voice
However, hands down, Melinda was the far better singer AND stage performer, beyond that she is a TRUE role model because she is very humble and exudes true inner beauty and character.
She can sing any and every type of song - that type of talent only comes along once in a while.
She was the only reason why i watched the show all those months.
Anyways, congrats to Jordin but Mel is my American idol.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by blasterman(m): 5:00am On May 27, 2007
melinda was the best singer, i agree no market appeal, very funny character, and she is already a pro,
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by BabyCakes(f): 5:36am On May 27, 2007
I dont know why people are making it seem as if it was the organisers who picked Jordin, it was the public that voted for her, they picked Jordin and Blake to be in the finals, so it was their decision at the end of the day. Noone will ever understand the dynamics of these talent shows because they are not meant to be understood, @seun, you may think Jordin is not a good singer or whatever, but it was the viewing public that chose her, and I dont believe 60million americans can be wrong! Also, you may think vocals are the most important thing in music, but you are wrong, rhythm is the most important thing in music! Classical music do not have vocals, and yet you can still listen to it and its still one of the longest surviving genre of music, try and get your facts right. Noone is playing Melinda's talent down, I personally did not think Blake should have been in the finals, but again, its the public that decides who stays and who goes
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 5:55am On May 27, 2007
babycakes, i should give you a kiss for the excellent review.
I read some posts here and i wonder. Seun is making judgements based on a 2hr finale that did not even involve any singing for votes or actual voting!

BabyCakes:

@seun, you may think Jordin is not a good singer or whatever, but it was the viewing public that chose her, and I don't believe 60million americans can be wrong! Also, you may think vocals are the most important thing in music, but you are wrong, rhythm is the most important thing in music! Classical music do not have vocals, and yet you can still listen to it and its still one of the longest surviving genre of music, try and get your facts right. Noone is playing Melinda's talent down, I personally did not think Blake should have been in the finals, but again, its the public that decides who stays and who goes

You hit the nail on the head. First i think it is funny the number of people claiming Jordin had NO talent, lets be honest if indeed she had no talent would she have even scaled through the judges at the first hurdle? Last tuesday both Randy and Simon were unequivocal that Jordin would beat Blake hands down in the final and yet lay men who barely watched 2hrs of a 3month long show are claiming otherwise.

Melinda yes was the best talent but the music industry today is not all about vocal talent only. You need to appeal to ur audience first before they even listen to what you have to sing. From day 1 i knew Lakisha would never win despite her obvious talent, she was too fat! How many fat successful singers do you see today?
Melinda is black and at 29, two strikes already and add to the fact that she is mainly inclined towards black gospel music and you immediately see why it would have been difficult for her to win unless the voters were primarily black.

Jordin has talent, age and she straddles the racial strata, at least white voters can relate with her white heritage. lets not pretend that color has nothing to do with the votes if not stephanie edwards would have gone farther than the rocker chic and haylee!
Brandon Rogers was the second best male vocal after Chris Sligh but Blake and Richardson made it farther. Blake is not a good vocalist, he made it that far on the back of his beatboxing, his good looks, sex appeal to the teenage white girls and his stage perfomance skills.

In the end having a good voice is not enough.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shola Arikusa Part 3 / The Night Of / Actress Loses Her Breast Through Prosthetic Makeup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.