Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? (23950 Views)

Nigerian Lady "Wows" Interviewer With Her Perfect English Speaking Skills (Vid) / What Will You Say If The Interviewer Says "You Have 10 Minutes To Impress Me? / Lady Shares Experience With Her Interviewer In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 29, 2019
Since its a banking job u are applying for,
If u know how to do other things in the bank aside from sitting and be attending to customers e.g if u know how to trade on the stock market i.e forex and other stuffs related to it (banks do this forex thing a lot)
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Kevinsamba: 12:43pm On Nov 29, 2019
Quora is the best
WIZGUY69:
Nairaland is filled with Sadists, haters and Nazists, go to Quora, twitter, Instagram, Reddit it's totally different from this place.
This forum is unique in a negative way.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Timozo1(m): 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2019
Creative is about bringing new ideas to the table relating to the job you applied for. Good luck next time.

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by eleojo23: 12:46pm On Nov 29, 2019
Oblongata:
Yes I am very creative...

My spontaneity and innovative skills in the face of an impending challenge enables me to create new channels to solving problems with apt ease. cool

True to your name, your medulla oblongata is on fire grin

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by WIZGUY69(m): 12:46pm On Nov 29, 2019
Kevinsamba:
Quora is the best

That place is on a class of its own l, different backgrounds, race, tribe, nations and class, but their perspective is directed towards common sense.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by JayPeeOham: 12:52pm On Nov 29, 2019
OP Never go to any interview too seriously by reading all those interview tips they post on Nairaland or by cramming everything on the company's website...lol but with an open and free mind in order not to be thrown off guard! angry

Most interviewers these days ask u abstract questions u don't even expect.

Hence, u give them abstract answers as well.

Taking your question as an example, if I were u I could have simply confused the interviewer by saying: "Yes! I am very creative. How?... looking at the Nigerian economy today, it will only take someone with a creative mind like myself to cope with the daily problems of life considering the fact that our daily income is way lower than expected" grin

Now my own question, OP if u were the interviewer what will you say after hearing my response?

Chai!!! Oversabi one kii me... grin

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by sivel(m): 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2019
OP we are in a rapidly transforming world. Employers want people with creativity. Someone who can conjure a hat out of nowhere. We all have that creative ability as humans. All you needed was to improvise a scenario related to the job and how you would address it like someone mentioned a difficult client above. No employer wants a dumber not even as a shop assistant.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Funkybabee(f): 12:54pm On Nov 29, 2019
You will answer yes and give reason like finding alternate solution to a problem that might arise during your work.. that's all
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by golddare: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2019
Just ideas on how to make more money and customers. You should have answered yes instantly, its not a strange question, you probably have ideas on how to improve their productivity and income before going for the interview.
Dont loose hope, advertisement department definitely needs some kind of actors. Cheer up and trust God.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by kernniejay(m): 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2019
You should have just simply said yes, and if he asked further how, your answer will depend on the position you were applying for. But generally speaking, you could just tell him you have the capacity to initiate an idea that can generate solution to a given challenge, to top it up just cite a fabricated senario where you solved a problem.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Brightgem(f): 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

I attended an interview yesterday, it wasn't my first interview but it was the first time a question caught me off guard. I was always prepared before interviews and do my research on the hiring company. But yesterday, when the interviewer asked me; "are you creative?, (I would have just answered yes, and he would have asked me what creative things I've done) my brain went blank for a second and I started looking for a suitable answer.

Don't get me wrong, I have creative ideas, but have I really done something creative? I can act, write plays, but my guess was the interviewer wanted my answer to be in line with the position I was applying for, so I started fumbling for the right answer, after a while uneasiness began to appear on the face my interviewer, apparently I was wasting too much time on this one question. So I let out only thing bouncing up and down in my mind; "I can act sir, if knowing how to act counts as being creative".

I was applying for a bank job for crying out loud, not auditioning for a movie role. How does acting correlate with banking?

Over to you guys. How should I have done justice to the question?
Although there would have been better ways to answer the question in relation to the job, but believe me, if and when you do get the job, you'll need those acting skills dealing with customers and co workers.

Interviews also add to your preparedness for other interviews in future cuz next time you'll know how to better tackle this. But good luck.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by mechanics(m): 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2019
Since it was a bank job, you should have told him yes, then tell him the programs you know and other creative designs you have done with the computer.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Kastrom: 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2019
WIZGUY69:
Nairaland is filled with Sadists, haters and Nazists, go to Quora, twitter, Instagram, Reddit it's totally different from this place.

Spot On! It's getting annoying and crazy, you will log out of twitter to nairaland and meet the same news, but different comments, while the twitter comments are always sensible and positive. The nairaland comments are always the positive. Like this place is a breeding ground for tribalists and illiterates.

I said this same thing yesterday bro. you need to see the way those tribalists descended on me

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by CoolAmbience(m): 1:13pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

I attended an interview yesterday, it wasn't my first interview but it was the first time a question caught me off guard. I was always prepared before interviews and do my research on the hiring company. But yesterday, when the interviewer asked me; "are you creative?, (I would have just answered yes, and he would have asked me what creative things I've done) my brain went blank for a second and I started looking for a suitable answer.

Don't get me wrong, I have creative ideas, but have I really done something creative? I can act, write plays, but my guess was the interviewer wanted my answer to be in line with the position I was applying for, so I started fumbling for the right answer, after a while uneasiness began to appear on the face my interviewer, apparently I was wasting too much time on this one question. So I let out only thing bouncing up and down in my mind; "I can act sir, if knowing how to act counts as being creative".

I was applying for a bank job for crying out loud, not auditioning for a movie role. How does acting correlate with banking?

Other words for 'creative' can be innovative, ingenious, clever, imaginative, resourceful, unconventional etc.

The interviewer actually wanted to know if you were a person who could bring new perspectives and ways of doing things, to add value and diversity to the existing system.

It was just a question that bothered on your originality.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Viking007(m): 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2019
frowland:

Being creative is nothing more than bringing new ideas to the table. Whether in acting, singing, even in banking operations and marketing.
Answer like, "Yes I think I am creative in different aspects. I can bring bring new ideas, and new ways to solving problems and taking on challenges".
This short and simple answer is enough and I dont think the interviewer will have any more question on that regard after you drop this answer. Goodluck to you and hopefully the best job is yet to come your way.
I remember back then 2006 I went for Finbank interview and I was denied the job cos the guy asked me who the deputy Governor of Delta state was. Like what da fu*ck? I knew it was Ada... something but since I couldn't mention her name in full, the guy bounced me, worst is, I am not even from Delta state for that matter. Life have been kind to me afterwards. So learn, clean ur hands when you fall and move on.
"Clean your hands when you fall and move on." Touche!

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

Creative ways of selling the brand to prospective investors and gaining more customers... Being creative cuts across all fields. If not for creativity, the banking industry will never have been created so yes... Creativity relates well with banking. Its not just about numbers. The bank may be faced with a problem and via creativity, you can help be a solution giver and it adds value to you as a team member.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by WIZGUY69(m): 1:19pm On Nov 29, 2019
Kastrom:

I said this same thing yesterday bro. you need to see the way those tribalists descended on me

To them they are catching fun, but the end will Justify the means, tbh i was once like them.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

Aaahahahahaaa....my belle ooo...acting? Thats you're telling them you can be a two-faced fellow. That you can look/act innocent/ trustworthy and at the same time be an armed robber in reality����. If na me na wetin I go reason o ha!

Just go on midnight prayers make him no even remember that part. You know say na bank? Hm hm hmmmm....lol...

On a more serious note, you should have said some like being able to create software that will make e- banking faster and easier for customers or ideas on how to reduce cumbersome paper work for efficient record filling. See as I dey form pro behind phone tihaaa...when on that seat, Satan is lier�
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Princeofasia: 1:28pm On Nov 29, 2019
give bm this interview to answer
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Reptyle(m): 1:28pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:

my brain went blank for a second and I started looking for a suitable answer. [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

At this point, you had answered the interviewer's question without saying anything and your unspoken answer was a silent NO I AM NOT CREATIVE!

If you were, that question wouldn't have thrown you off balance grin

Your mistake was in approaching the question from the regular meaning of the word "creative". Creativity means a lot more than your ability to write a story or song, paint a picture or act in a drama or movie. With relation to the corporate space, the interviewer was most likely testing your capacity for out-of-the-box and innovative thinking.

Next time you are asked a question that seems to have come out of nowhere or isn't in alignment with the role you are been interviewed for, pause for a moment and give it some thought before answering. If you still come up blank, you can ask the interviewer to further elucidate. You don't lose any points during an interview by asking an interview to clarify a question that you didn't understand.

When you seek clarification, it not only helps your understanding but also buys you some valuable seconds with which to think through your response more deeply before voicing it. Acing an interview takes some "creative" thinking in itself wink

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by NotFarFrom: 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

You would have said yes! And if he had asked the things that you've done, you would have said acting and explained how you have been a creative actor. Because it is a bank doesn't mean that you have to do things that are in line with the banking industry..... Such questions are general questions and need general answers.

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by djoe21(m): 1:31pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

grin grin grin Very funny.
Well you can act as the branch manager when he is absent from work. wink
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 29, 2019
bukkielee:
Upgrade your Resumé to look beautiful and professional for a token
how much
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by BeStroNG(m): 1:37pm On Nov 29, 2019
WIZGUY69:

Spot On! It's getting annoying and crazy, you will log out of twitter to nairaland and meet the same news, but different comments, while the twitter comments are always sensible and positive. The nairaland comments are always the positive. Like this place is a breeding ground for tribalists and illiterates.

Faceless nature is the prime cause. Users take advantage of its facelessness and spew thrash from their mouth/keypads . At Twitter and the rest, people know you including your friends and family members, but on Nairaland, even your brother does not know you are behind the moniker. This is why.

1 Like

Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Thegoodone13(m): 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2019
The same things if they ask you if you have given a useful ideas in your formal working place? Or you have initiates any things? Op I don't know the right answer but if they ask me that is how I will interpret it
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 29, 2019
In what way?

Do you mean with respect to finding alternative solutions to problems,
Or improvising when I am faced with a situation I have not been trained for
or identifying issues and providing proposed solutions?

Hmmmmm

Maybe too much english
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by Odani: 1:50pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

Hahahaha I dnt know y but I find this post really funny. U gave ur best ans jare
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by arimahoseloka(m): 1:51pm On Nov 29, 2019
MisterJeph:
Hello Nairalanders.

the interviewer wants to know your creativity as per problem solving in the work place, there are times when work related problems have no official procedure to solving them, this is when your creativity should come into place as per tackling such problems professionally and with your creative prowress.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by inioluwaDaniels(m): 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2019
Even if u say u can finish one bowl of EBA wit small soup dats still creativity.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by ismaog4u(m): 2:18pm On Nov 29, 2019
my brother you really try .. but in case of other time ....
Being creative means solving a problem in a new way. It means changing your perspective.

Being creative means taking risks and ignoring doubt and facing fears. It means breaking with routine and doing something different for the sake of doing something different. It means mapping out a thousand different routes to reach one destination. It means challenging yourself every day. Being creative means searching for inspiration in even the most mundane places. It means you’re asking stupid questions. It means creating without critiquing. Being creative means you know how to find the similarities and differences between two completely random ideas.

Being creative means you’re thinking.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by stanisbaratheon: 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2019
It happens. Forgive yourself. You still might get the job.
Re: How Should I Have Answered This Interviewer's Question? by bukkielee(m): 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2019
francisgodstime:
how much
Chat me up for that please. check my signature for my details

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Fresh Graduate Find It Hard To Get A Job / Osun Shortlist Graduates For New OYES / COVID-19: Akeredolu Offers Permanent Jobs To Volunteers In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.