Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake (3570 Views)

Pantami Blocks Buhari From Shaking Oluremi, Tinubu’s Wife - Reno Omokri (Video) / You Are A Bloody Liar!! Nigerians Blasts Reno Omokri Over Tinubu's "Igbo Tape" / Leave Igbos Out Of Shagari's Death!! Nigerians Blasts Ben Bruce On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by AllNews1: 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2019
A video showing President Muhammadu Buhari seeming refusal to offer Senator Oluremi Tinubu a handshake while greeting other dignitaries on the sidelines of the E-Nigeria International Conference, Award and Exhibition in Abuja on Thursday has generated debate on Twitter.

In the video which is about 18 seconds long, Buhari is seen alighting from his official Mercedes Benz at the International Conference Centre, Abuja after which he is welcomed by the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami.

WATCH VIDEO HERE: https://www.thewatchngr.com/2019/11/video-nigerians-blasts-buhari-for-refusing.html

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by AllHailBiafra(m): 1:42pm On Nov 29, 2019
In Nigeria Islamic tradition does not allow him to shake hand with women but outside Nigeria he can shake the German Chancellor, Angela Macron of West Germany or any other white woman but not Mrs Tinubu or any other women from Africa.

10 Likes

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by unbitchable(m): 1:51pm On Nov 29, 2019
I have been clarified. Thanks to naptu2.

4 Likes

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by yemex04(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2019
But u see where they both exchanged greeting
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by delpee(f): 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2019
She did not stretch out her hand. Simple courtesy....A man shakes a woman whose hand is extended for such. She probably understands PMBs attitude to such and chose to let it slide. Why blame the President for this?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by naptu2: 2:17pm On Nov 29, 2019
Aha! This is what I just wrote about!

naptu2:
Much ado about handshakes (this is another old post that has been on my mind for years).

My British cousins were recently arguing over the question of who Boris Johnson shook hands with and who he didn’t shake hands with and that reminded me of an old post that I wanted to make but couldn’t because of lack of time.

President Buhari swore in new ministers a few months after he was inaugurated and some people noticed that he did not shake hands with some of the female ministers and they decided that he did not shake the female ministers’ hands because he was a religious extremist. They held this up as evidence that Buhari was going to “Islamise Nigeria” and declare Sharia law across the country.

I knew that their position was total nonsense because I knew that Buhari had shaken hands with women in the past, but more importantly, I knew why he didn’t shake hands with the female ministers (I’ve been there before).

I’m shocked that nobody has stated the real reason that he did not shake hands with the female ministers.

My experience.

A lot of people in positions of authority came to my house when I was a kid and I shook hands with all of them. Of course I also bowed to them, but I shook hands with all of them. I also shook hands with the elderly people that came to my house, including my grandmother.

However, there were certain encounters that stuck in my mind. I remember a time that a new official was appointed to a certain position. My neighbour’s family was very influential in the institution that the official had just been appointed to head and so he paid a courtesy visit to their house and I was in their house on that day. They introduced me to him as **** son. He looked happy to see me, but something happened that stuck in my mind. I extended my hand for a handshake and there was a momentary look of surprise on his face. It lasted for less than half a second, but I noticed it. He said, “You want to shake the ****” (he mentioned his new title) and then he shook my hand.

There was another encounter that I remember. It was kind of a family event. I got to a certain house and the woman of the house was greeting everybody at the door. I bowed and shook hands with her as I greeted her. I could see a look of absolute shock on her face as I shook hands with her. Much later, my sister whispered to me, “Did you see how shocked she looked when you shook hands with her”?

You see, in Yoruba culture, it is quite unusual for a much younger person to shake hands with a much older person. The younger person is expected to prostrate, stoop, bow, kneel or curtsey. The younger person will only shake the older person’s hand if the older person extends his hand for a handshake.

Similarly, it is unusual for a person in a much lower position in an organisation to shake hands with someone in a much higher positions/someone in a position of authority except if the person in a higher position extends his hand for a handshake.

Many Muslim women do not shake hands with men that are not related to them. This can be awkward for a man who extends his hand to shake a woman. Therefore, many men do not extend their hands for a handshake except the woman extends her hand first.

Think about it the way that you would think about a hug. Would you hug a woman that you’ve just met for the first time? Would you hug a woman that you’ve just met for the first time if she extends her hands for a hug? You would probably respect the woman’s space and only hug her if she extends her hands for a hug, right?

Read this https://medium.com/@hana.jafar09/why-you-should-ask-before-hugging-someone-7825f503ac06

Obasanjo

I was shocked when there was a furore about whether President Buhari shook hands with women, because President Olusegun Obasanjo had observed this practice in a very extreme manner and yet nobody complained.

I noticed that President Olusegun Obasanjo never shook hands with women who wore hijabs, even when the women extended their hands for a handshake. I noticed this for the first time during a national honours award ceremony. An honouree extended her hand for a handshake, but President Obasanjo clasped both of his hands together in front of his chest, instead of shaking hands with her. I later noticed that he did this to any woman that either wore a hijab or was from the far north, even if the woman was Christian and even if the woman extended her hand for a handshake. Yet nobody complained.

Buhari
New ministers were inaugurated in 2015 and an incident during the inauguration ceremony led to the ridiculous claim that President Buhari does not shake hands with women.

The protocol was that, after being sworn in, the minister would sign the register and then shake hands with President Buhari while smiling for the camera. It was Kemi Adeosun’s turn to shake hands with Buhari. Being a Yoruba woman, she waited for President Buhari, who is older and in a higher position of authority, to extend his hand for a handshake. President Buhari, being a northern muslim, waited for Kemi Adeosun, who is a woman, to extend her hand for a handshake. Therefore, because neither of them extended their hand first, there was no handshake.

People picked up on this and said that President Buhari does not shake hands with women and then it became a self-fulfilling prophesy. Other women, because they had heard that Buhari did not shake hands with women, did not extend their hands for a handshake when they met him and therefore, the rumours that Buhari did not shake hands with women continued.

Some people said that "Buhari's refusal to shake hands with women was proof that he was a religious extremist, a bigot and that he wanted to Islamise Nigeria".

I knew that this was just complete nonsense. How did I know? The musician, Onyeka Onwenu was a supporter of President Goodluck Jonathan and he appointed her to head an agency (I’ve forgotten the name of the agency). The members of the board of the agency went to meet and congratulate President Buhari soon after he was sworn in. This was before ministers were inaugurated. President Buhari shook hands with Onyeka Onwenu at that event.

Besides, I had seen Buhari shake hands with women when he was a military head of state in the mid-1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asmoh-gbBmQ

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10646472_buharihandshake4_jfif_jpeg266552d305300939fad0b8ab9ce81500

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10646473_buharihandshake_jfif_jpegc0415eec0bf85ef410b64e8a098d0c6f

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10646474_buharihandshake2_jfif_jpega4fb454ead5e60644583f3d01e31f42f

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10646475_buharihandshake3_jfif_jpeg76d5be71ca0301a3339750bcbfc0d58a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10647877_presidentbuharideclaresopenalljudgesconference9_jpegd00b5598cd9fe0a6f2d8e46c6162c765

naptu2:
So here's what actually happened.

President Buhari arrived the International Conference Centre and there was a line of people that were waiting to receive him. He shook hands with the people on the line, but Mrs Tinubu did not extend her hand for a handshake. Instead she curtsied and said, "Good morning sir". President Buhari looked at her and said, "Madam ****" (the second word was inaudible) and she smiled. He then asked, "How are you?" and she replied, "Very well sir".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjaGAZIkljM

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by Amatarasha(f): 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2019
unbitchable:
Na wa for bubu o. I haven't seen him shake any naija woman before, none of his female ministers during inauguration. Bubu go sabi lash foreign women wella.
Naptu2 come and show him those photos in ur possession...
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by naptu2: 2:21pm On Nov 29, 2019
Hahahahahahahahahaha

And she modified her post grin grin grin grin

There are some things that are just not worth my attention.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by ahaz: 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2019
AllNews1:
A video showing President Muhammadu Buhari seeming refusal to offer Senator Oluremi Tinubu a handshake while greeting other dignitaries on the sidelines of the E-Nigeria International Conference, Award and Exhibition in Abuja on Thursday has generated debate on Twitter.

In the video which is about 18 seconds long, Buhari is seen alighting from his official Mercedes Benz at the International Conference Centre, Abuja after which he is welcomed by the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami.

WATCH VIDEO HERE: https://www.thewatchngr.com/2019/11/video-nigerians-blasts-buhari-for-refusing.html

afonjas I no wan shake you na by force?...hahahahqhah so buharis handshake will stop her from mensuratfing...pls poster a bag of rice is now 32k down south that is more news worthy to Nigerians than the scrappy headline you posted above.

1 Like

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by Tonymegabush1(m): 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2019
Some time i wonder what exactly is the problem with you guys, weda he did intentionally or not its of no importance at all, everybody wants to talk......spits

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by jahsharon: 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2019
ahaz:
afonjas I no wan shake you na by force?...hahahahqhah so buharis handshake will stop her from mensuratfing...pls poster a bag of rice is now 32k down south that is more news worthy to Nigerians than the scrappy headline you posted above.

This one is an unfortunate child.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2019
unbitchable:
Na wa for bubu o. I haven't seen him shake any naija woman before, none of his female ministers during inauguration. Bubu go sabi lash foreign women wella.

Buhari have shaked countless Nigeria women like Onyeka Onwenu, president appeal court of Nigeria Justice Bulkachawa.

The reason is simple buhari doesn't shake Yoruba women.

He sees as servants to them fulanis.
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by obailala(m): 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2019
Another meaningless occurrence for people to talk about.

1 Like

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by redsun(m): 3:21pm On Nov 29, 2019
She deserves what she got, they are all primordial beings.
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:42pm On Nov 29, 2019
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by naptu2: 4:18pm On Nov 29, 2019
StaffofOrayan:
Dude ! Use ur time for something more productive

I'll do whatever I choose to do and there's nothing you can do about it.

9 Likes 7 Shares

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 29, 2019
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by QuotaSystem: 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2019
naptu2:

You totally slayed the premise and intention of the thread in one deft move.

Kudos chief.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by StaffofOrayan(m): 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2019
It's a friendly advice bra

naptu2:

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by J2381: 5:15pm On Nov 29, 2019
StaffofOrayan:
Dude ! Use ur time for something more productive
you should learn to follow your own advise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by CSTR2: 5:28pm On Nov 29, 2019
Which Nigerians?
How is it my business or who she help?
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by itsme01: 6:44pm On Nov 29, 2019
mumuness of jobless youth is outta this world
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by naptu2: 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2019
Transcript of what was said in the video.

Buhari: “Honourable minister. Good morning.”

(We can’t hear what Pantami says)

Buhari shakes the hand of the first man in the line without saying anything to him.

Remi Tinubu: “Good morning sir” (and she curtsies)
Buhari: “Madam senator. How are you?”

Remi Tinubu: “Very well sir” (and she curtsies again)

Pantami points to the next man in the line and says: “This is our chairman Senate committee on . . .”

Pantami’s voice is drowned out by the voices of photographers and security men who are jostling for space: “Kai! This man pushed me on you, what is it?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjaGAZIkljM
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by unbitchable(m): 2:51pm On Nov 30, 2019
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by technicallyrich(m): 3:34pm On Nov 30, 2019
Nigerians or yoruba muslims,because me i am not understanding. Why should a darling presido acording to zone bs shake her.
Re: VIDEO: Nigerians Blasts Buhari For Refusing Tinubu's Wife A Handshake by lagdmark(m): 3:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
AllHailBiafra:
In Nigeria Islamic tradition does not allow him to shake hand with women but outside Nigeria he can shake the German Chancellor, Angela Macron of West Germany or any other white woman but not Mrs Tinubu or any other women from Africa.
Angela of Germany we know,but ne Oluremi tinubu

(1) (Reply)

1.5 Trillion Naira And 9 Millions Dollars Traced To Barshir's Account / Army Chief Confirms Foreigners’ Involvement In Boko Haram's Bombings / Ben Murray Bruce Disqualified From Bayelsa Governorship Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.