Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,507 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

How The Money Gospel Thinks - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How The Money Gospel Thinks (174 Views)

Woman Stops Giving Tithes In Church, Uses The Money To Build House For A Widow / Man Narrates His Encounter With An Electrician Who Thinks He Is A Prophet / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How The Money Gospel Thinks by Perfectbeing(m): 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2019
The money gospel is a twin devil with the works gospel ,
They have destroyed many and will do more .
It's logic is warped and will mislead any dishonest or lazy believer.
It teaches to suit certain whims ,
What is money gospel ?
You will know by its interpretation of scriptures
Let's see a few
Ephesians 4:28 KJV
[28] Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
It will lift the phrase " that he may have to give to him that needeth "
With this interpretation you start hearing catchy statements like
" we don't work for a living ,we work for a giving "
Only to further awaken greed and avarice in parishioners ,who already are desperate .
Let's return to the text and unabashedly view the contents .
Is the scripture a " prosperity " text or a rebuke ,correction and admonition for honesty ?
If you had read the previous texts and post texts ,you could never come out with another " get Rich " sermon .
Ephesians 4:25-27,29-32 KJV
[25] Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26] Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
[27] Neither give place to the devil.
[29] Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
[30] And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31] Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32] And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Can you see?
He's teaching Christian conduct .
Verse 28 for the sake of all the Christ is simply means
You have been fraudulent ,stop it.
You are now a new creature in Christ .
Labour ,Work with your hands that which is good ,
First lesson ,start doing honest work ,don't defraud or cheat others .
Second lesson ,learn sacrifice ,love for others .
The money gospel likes the phrase " that he may have "
Whereas ,the text teaches HAVE TO GIVE TO HIM THAT IS IN NEED .
Paul warns about seeing materialism in the Gospel
1 Timothy 6:5 KJV
[5] Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
Corrupt minds ,destitute of the truth ,supposing " serving the lord brings prosperity "
When this happens to our minds ,we would use that text to teach " get more money ", rather than start making honest living and show care to others .
Both actions demonstrate same thing.
Love for others .
The thief already has!
That's why he's called a thief .He has things that aren't his .
So he shouldn't be taught to have only ,but work to have to give ,work honestly .
Scriptures can't mean what it never meant .
I have seen that verse that way before,no thanks to the money gospel which has disciples in every denomination and movement ,including the " finished works crowd "
It's this mindset that again interprets
1 Timothy 6:17 KJV
[17] Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
By staying with the last phrase " gives us richly all things to enjoy "
You can stay with this phrase and build all sorts of your own preset mind from there .
Tell who likes his statements used this way !
The pretext and post text don't support using that phrase unrestricted .
1 Timothy 6:8-16 KJV
[8] And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
[9] But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
[10] For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
[11] But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
[12] Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. [
13] I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;
14] That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
15] Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; [16] Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
Post text
1 Timothy 6:18-19 KJV
[18] That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; [19] Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
Reading through this especially from verse 8 makes it abundantly clear that whilst paul spoke of how God gives ( which originally implies a pro/ pre action not a reaction to needs ), to ALL,richly to enjoy .
He now asked any who trusts in God to do the same !
GIVE!
Those he's teaching Timothy to instruct are already RICH,so he's not teaching prosperity but giving ,good Christian conduct ,love .
It's further debunks the " give to be rich syndrome " which is pure error .
Jesus used examples of the rich to show they / weren't aren't givers .
The rich fool
Luke 12:16-21 KJV
[16] And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: [17] And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? [18] And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. [19] And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. [20] But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? [21] So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
The rich young ruler
Mark 10:21-24 KJV
[21] Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
22] And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
[23] And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
[24] And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
Both were rich but not givers .
Also the rich man in the Lazarus story .
The target of the money gospel is to inspire greed and covetousness .
Scriptures meant for giving are being turned into " get Rich " sermons .
Let me close with one more ..
Acts 20:35 KJV
[35] I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Again imagine lifting the last phrase " it's more blessed to give ..."
Oh glory ,brethren the blessing is in the giving Bla Bla Bla ..
Then tell the parishioners ,if you want Gods blessing give !
Wow,God help us !
The term blessed was NEVER used in the New Testament for material things .
It means to "speak well of.".not " empowered to prosper " as some including myself had taught
Hence paul and peters terms
Ephesians 1:3 KJV
[3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
We speak good of God who has spoken well of us with all God things said of us in Christ Jesus ..
When you start to read from verse 4 you will read what he says of us in Him!
1 Corinthians 14:16-17 KJV
[16] Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
[17] For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
Hence to bless with the spirit means to speak well of God in tongues !
Same as peter
1 Peter 1:3 KJV
[3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
James was more precise
James 3:9-10 KJV
[9] Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. [10] Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Words !
So go through Mathew to Revelation and see this for yourself !
Back to Acts 20:35 ,its more commended ,proper ,fortunate ,happy ,well spoken of to give and help others than take from them !
This means I am happier helping others than been helped
The pretext is this clear
Acts 20:33-34 KJV
[33] I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. [34] Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.
Giving !
A minister of the gospel must flee this wrong and terrible schemes of bible interpretation
1 Timothy 6:5 KJV
[5] Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
Withdraw yourself from those who have made money and influence from these errors ..
1 Timothy 6:11 KJV
[11] But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
Run !
Paul warns against wanting to be rich as a focus in ministry ,you will ERR from the faith ,which refers to good doctrine ,bible teaching
1 Timothy 4:6 KJV
[6] If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
Words of faith, good teaching ,explanation ,which means there are bad explanations .
Let's be seasoned men and women in the ministry and stop this evil of material results at all and any cost in the gospel .
Hope this is clear ?
Let me know..
I call you blessed
Rev'd Onayinka Olusegun

Get audio messages free on livingwordmedia.org

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Questions From Rashid. A New Believer In Christ / Transformational Development In Upata Kingdom / Delta State Based Pastor Shares Anointed Bread To His Church Members (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.