Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,929 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:55 PM

Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman (31376 Views)

Adeleke Storms Out Of Eid After Clash With Ajibola Basiru, Ex-Senate Spokesman / Lawmakers Don’t Collect Sitting Allowance - Ajibola Basiru, Senate Spokesman / Ahmad Lawan Appoints Senator Adeyeye As Senate Spokesman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by executive12: 7:13pm On Nov 30, 2019
Be careful what you wish for because you might get it and it may not be what you expected.
If the death penalty is prescribed for corruption in Nigeria, almost all adult Nigerians will be on death row.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Odinaka00(m): 7:17pm On Nov 30, 2019
Racoon:

Simply because most of you're criminals that have made the NASS your safe haven.See the cursed idiots Nigerians have as leaders? angryDoes the ICPC/EFCC stipulate death penalty? And he thinks he is making sense?

So why is the senate asking the populace to initiate the death bill for corruption but quick to prescribed the death penalty for hate speech/ cyber stalking.God punish all of una.Idiots!

It's impossible to make a death penalty for corruption? So say the most useless, senseless & irresponsible senate Nigeria has ever had. Nauseating Idiots!

If I tell you say I never tire for Naija matter bro I go dey lie to you... And the sad part is that some people are still supporting these people in the Government.. Thank God that I left Naija to SOUTHY and if I enter Canada from here, me nor dey come back to Naija again... That Country dey vex me. Useless Government and mumu youths wey dey support them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Neshietdebayzman(m): 7:19pm On Nov 30, 2019
Ken4Christ:
They have run short of ideas. They just spend time discussing irrelevant issues. We know you can't do that but please focus on checkmating the excesses of the executive especially in borrowing. Discuss the issue of insecurity and the way forward. Invite the minister of power and ask him why the country is still in the dark. Ask the Minister of Petroleum, who is the president why our refineries are not working to full capacity.

The Senate chamber should be equipped with a large TV where they can play videos or show clips of the bad state of our roads. These are the things they should focus on.
I concur

1 Like

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by golddare: 7:26pm On Nov 30, 2019
eeby1983:
it will consume your generation to come

I dont understand your point. Has Corruption not consumed your generation already? So tell me how a bill that stipulates death sentence for public officials who steals public funds will consume your generation to come?
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by AdeolaOmoOba(m): 7:42pm On Nov 30, 2019
But you can initiate death penalty for social media hate speech. What a wonderful day!
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by jojothaiv(m): 7:45pm On Nov 30, 2019
I'm waiting for a balanced comments from one of the spirited party faithful on this..
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by hermesprogidy(m): 7:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
Why would you make corruption death sentence, when you are all thieves? Are you guys smarter than China, South Korea and other great countries that have gone this route? You should be stoned for this dumb utterance. Thief!
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by ForbesHomesNG(m): 7:56pm On Nov 30, 2019
Odinaka00:

If I tell you say I never tire for Naija matter bro I go dey lie to you... And the sad part is that some people are still supporting these people in the Government.. Thank God that I left Naija to SOUTHY and if I enter Canada from here, me nor dey come back to Naija again... That Country dey vex me. Useless Government and mumu youths wey dey support them
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Vernon26(m): 8:04pm On Nov 30, 2019
So it is suffice to say that the phrase " send a thief to catch a thief" can't and won't work in Nigeria.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 30, 2019
Bad people can never produce good leaders.

Come 2023, 1diotic e-warriors, gullible poverty rejects and other nizoorians will still be fighting over votes for the evil Siamese twins (PDP and APC).

These so called leaders are a reflection of the people.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Horus(m): 8:35pm On Nov 30, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCKLmQB9oFE

Death Penalty for Corruption in Nigeria

Not a few Nigerians have,at different times, come up with the idea that capital punishment is the one and only solution to the seemingly intractable problem of corruption in Nigeria. The position of advocates of death penalty for corrupt officials must have been informed by the belief that the prospect of a humiliating death will always serve as sufficient disincentive to corrupt practices. Some members of the ongoing National Conference who share the view that a serious problem calls for a drastic response have lent their support to this hard line stance because they see corruption as the main cog in the wheel of Nigeria's progress.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 30, 2019
China has Death penalty for Treasury Looters,that is why their country is moving well .

1 Like

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Enes22(m): 8:37pm On Nov 30, 2019
We don't expect less, shameless looters
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Horus(m): 8:42pm On Nov 30, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6V5wScysFQ

Femi Falana Tells National Assembly To Propose Death Penalty For Corrupt Politicians

Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Femi Falana has asked the National Assembly to make laws that will pronounce death penalty for corruption perpetrated by politically exposed persons.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Horus(m): 8:58pm On Nov 30, 2019
Countries That Apply Death Penalty For Corruption

In some countries, public officials have been executed or may face death for corruption and other related crimes like bribery

China

China is in the top 3 countries that have been carrying out executions as of 2015, alongside Iran and Pakistan. These executions, however, are considered top secret, making it difficult to count the deaths. Prisoners reportedly do not linger on death row but are executed immediately or given a two-year suspension of sentence.

The Chinese government executes people for economic and political crimes. Officials who take part in drug smuggling, human trafficking, and the diversion of state-controlled drugs for illegal sale are also punished by death.

In 2011, China sentenced to capital punishment Xu Maiyong, former vice mayor of Hangzhou City, and Jiang Renjie, vice mayor of Suzhou City in 2011. The officials were found guilty of bribery amounting to $50 million.

Xu reportedly led an excessive lifestyle. Investigators were said to find gold bullion and expensive jewelry upon inspection of his home.

In 2010, the Chongqing Justice Bureau director was also killed over bribery and for supporting organized crime. In 2008, a city official of Chengdu was executed over bribery, too.

The former chief of the state's food and drug administration was likewise found guilty of accepting bribes, and met the same fate in 2007.

North Korea

Like China, North Korea is also very secretive about its imposition of the death penalty. Reports said this secrecy increased when Kim Jong-un assumed the country’s leadership.

It is difficult to confirm available reports because the country does not normally announce its executions. The international media usually depend on South Korean sources.

The most controversial execution in North Korea so far is that of Kim’s Uncle Chang Song-thaek in 2013. Chang held senior posts in the ruling party and was the vice chairman of the National Defense Commission.

State media reports said he was accused of corruption – he transferred construction units to his contacts, attempted to overthrow the state, and mobilized a coup, among others.

North Korea also reportedly put to death General Pyon In Son, ex-chief of operations in the Korean People’s Army. South Korean sources said he was executed in 2015, two months after he was fired from his position over "corruption and failure to follow orders."

Also in 2015, around 50 officials were said to have been killed over charges ranging from corruption to "watching South Korean soap operas."

O Sang-hon, deputy minister for public security, and Chang Ung, a member of the International Olympic Committee, were killed in 2014 over corruption charges.

Iraq

The death of Ali Hassan al-Majid or "Chemical Ali" in Iraq in 2010 was the most infamous execution in the country. He was convicted for corruption and crimes against humanity, including the poison gas attack in the Kurdish region in 1988.

At the time of the United Nations' sanctions on Iraq in the 1990s, he held many senior government posts and reportedly used his clout for smuggling and business deals. His "blatant corruption" was speculated on as the reason behind his removal as defense minister in 1995.

Iran

There are no widely-reported executions of public officials in Iran due to its strict policy on secrecy. But under their law, offenses such as counterfeiting, smuggling, speculating, or disrupting production by officials are punishable by death.

Nonetheless, thousands were said to have been executed in Iran since Hassan Rouhani became president in 2013, according to Iran Human Rights.

Indonesia

In Indonesia, some acts of corruption, which affect the finance or economy of the country in a big way, is punishable by death.

Indonesia resumed executions in 2013, ending the 5-year unofficial freeze of the penalty since 2008. According to Amnesty International, around 130 people are said to be on death row in Indonesia as of 2012.

Thailand

Thailand executes a government official, democratic representative, judicial official, or prosecutor for demanding or accepting bribes, although apparently, no one has been executed for such crime.

In July 2015, lawmakers amended the Anti-Corruption Act to extend capital punishment to foreign officials and staff of international organizations who commit bribery.

Laos

Citizens, including public officials, who disrupt the trade, agriculture, or other economic activities with the intention of damaging the economy of the state can be put to death.

Vietnam

Embezzlement is punishable by death in Vietnam, provided, however, that the amount appropriated is 5 hundred million dong or more, or if it had "particularly serious" consequences. Bribery amounting to 3 hundred million dong or more is also subject to the penalty.

Officials who commit illegal cross-border trading of highly-valued objects and "particularly serious" cases of manufacturing, storing, transporting, or circulating counterfeit money, treasury bills, or bonds can also meet the same end.

Myanmar

In Myanmar, committing drug offenses by taking advantage of the influence or power of a public servant is punishable by death.

Morocco

Bribery, especially to lead a judge or jury member to declare a death sentence, is subject to capital punishment. Reports, however, show that the last execution in Morocco was way back in 1993.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Legendguru: 9:48pm On Nov 30, 2019
Cowards

1 Like

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Nobody: 3:05am On Dec 01, 2019
Una dey see una country How do we move to a better place when we are being governed by very dull individuals... Imagine the trash a senator is saying.
Although i don't support capital punishment if the crimes committed are not serious offences such as murder, mass murder, terrorism, treason, espionage, aircraft hijacking,war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide but if they can pass death penalty for hate speech then i wonder why.

Them dey use this country take play until we go act nothing good will come from them. But my people na siddon look. Las las them go Twitter go rant and that's all undecided
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by CioAngels(f): 7:11am On Dec 01, 2019
Senator, the masses will pass the death penalty bill buy the help of all the deities in this country whether you like it or not. Bloody thieves, that's what you all are.

1 Like

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Funkyswagzz(m): 9:16am On Dec 01, 2019
Excellent question who do they think they are deceiving?

1 Like

Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Horus(m): 9:27am On Dec 01, 2019
Corrupt politicians do not initiate death penalty bill for looters because they fear capital punishment for themselves
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by SexytorresE(f): 11:14am On Dec 01, 2019
Welcome to Nigeria where laws are for the masses
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by DedeNkem: 12:42pm On Dec 01, 2019
The looters are so scared to die but the same clueless lying thieves want a death penalty for anyone who says anything they don't like!

Everyone of them at the NASS is very, very corrupt! They're all liars, heartless murderers and thieves! They loot billions of naira every month! They're the cancer of the society!

If there's a law that executes looters and corrupt judges, thieves will avoid politics like a plague and this failed country will start healing gradually.
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Dmanlex(m): 12:55pm On Dec 01, 2019
You dont want death penalty for stealing money but want to pass hate nd social media bill. "Political fools"
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by Greatzeus(m): 1:13pm On Dec 01, 2019
nero2face:
A shit hole country we live, a country that almost 60yrs after civil war, some parts are still in war with the other, using political powers to checkmate the activities of the minorities while the other side flourish in corruption and hatred...I'd always be the last person to pray for peace or progress of this prison called Nigeria...NDI NZUZU
A typical Igbo man filled with hatred for Nigeria,all other tribes and even his own calling them OSU
Re: Why We Don't Initiate Death Penalty For Corruption - Senate's Spokesman by nero2face: 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2019
Greatzeus:

A typical Igbo man filled with hatred for Nigeria,all other tribes and even his own calling them OSU
a topical indigene of the ZOO...a parasite and deadly contagious disease that has no benefit for himself... ONYE NZUZU

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Trains Women To Be Bombers / Razak Atunwa Is An "Executive Private Pilot". See Photos / APC Youth Forum With Buhari-live Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.