Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch (5633 Views)

4 Things Do When You Are Laid Off / Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige / Access Bank Versus First Bank:graduate Trainee (2) (3) (4)

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Queenmark: 1:06pm On Dec 01, 2019
Noblejay7:
I don't have any problem with the bank retrenching staffs. It a normal practice in private sector as most companies are cutting cost using different means including retrenchment to lower employee cost.

However, it amount to serious infraction on our labour laws to use an employee for more than 10years and lay them off with just 200k as severance package. Ecobank did the same thing in July and the retrenched staff took to the street in protest. At the end of the day the bank had no option but to negotiate with them and they were paid additional severance package.

The government must through the ministry of labour and productivity protect workers from this type of inhumane and unfair treatment. Also, job seekers must read and understand before they accept and sign any employment contract.

The painful thing is the bank will replace the retrenched staffs with another set of unsuspecting and desperate young job seekers which they will use for another 10 years . And the circle continues. what a pity.

Bank contact employment is a scam.

Most times we as humans are our problems. How can someone be in one position for 10years without promotion or increase in salary?

There is a reason why the word "Contract" is there you are not to see it as a long time position or a permanent position. There is always room for growth and development.

Even at the point of employment they always advise you not to see this job as a permanent position but as something to while away time till something good comes up.

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Noblejay7: 1:20pm On Dec 01, 2019
Queenmark:

Most times we as humans are our problems. How can someone be in one position for 10years without promotion or increase in salary?

There is a reason why the word "Contract" is there you are not to see it as a long time position or a permanent position. There is always room for growth and development.

Even at the point of employment they always advise you not to see this job as a permanent position but as something to while away time till something good comes up.

I think the government needs to amend our labour laws to stipulate a maximum period of two years for contract employment after which the employee should either be converted to a permanent staff or laid off. The truth is no sensible person will want to work as a contract staff for say 10years but unfortunately the alarming unemployment situation in Nigeria has left many with no option.

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Queenmark: 1:46pm On Dec 01, 2019
Noblejay7:

I think the government needs to amend our labour laws to stipulate a maximum period of two years for contract employment after which the employee should either be converted to a permanent staff or laid off. The truth is no sensible person will want to work as a contract staff for say 10years but unfortunately the alarming unemployment situation in Nigeria has left many with no option.

I understand how difficult it is to get a job but within that period one can save and start up a good business or even leave this country or something. A lot of banks do not have respect for contract staff most especially first bank.

When it comes to conversion the process is stressful and it just looks like they do not want to convert the contract staff. Nigeria have failed us as graduates so when employers treat us like thrash we can't blame them.

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by figoperch: 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2019
enawt:
think you are right.
tell me more about the semi contract LARs cos I sincerely hope this will not affect a person I have in the beverage company (sales rep)

Don't know what more to tell you o
Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Generaloluseye: 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2019
Queenmark:

I understand how difficult it is to get a job but within that period one can save and start up a good business or even leave this country or something. A lot of banks do not have respect for contract staff most especially first bank.

When it comes to conversion the process is stressful and it just looks like they do not want to convert the contract staff. Nigeria have failed us as graduates so when employers treat us like thrash we can't blame them.

U said first bank, ask a contract staff in polaris or even Wema that just increased salary for full staffs and neglected contract staffs
Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Queenmark: 9:47pm On Dec 01, 2019
Generaloluseye:

U said first bank, ask a contract staff in polaris or even Wema that just increased salary for full staffs and neglected contract staffs

You don't expect them to treat their core staff and contract staff the same. Core staff are more invested on then contract staff..

I am not in support of the treatment but there is nothing that can be done because there are no laws to protect us.
Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by sokkatua: 9:54pm On Dec 01, 2019
Thank God oo ,i was complaining about my unexpected exit from my banking job in Toronto until i read this story,at least they pay me $35k severance pay.I pray for God to open the way for me and for all these poor folks that lost their jobs through no fault of their own

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Powersurge: 1:01am On Dec 02, 2019
femoric:
The info is true, a friend was affected as well. First Bank is rather wicked with its approach to disengage staff. My friend found out he was sacked when he could no longer log in on their server. He kept trying and trying, for where, after several attempt, he got the news he wasn't on their list again.... so sad

nawa! so unprofessional.
Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by teejoyz: 11:33am On Dec 02, 2019
I was once a contract staff in fbn for 5yrs and I understand their policy.the problem with our people is that once they get the job,they will feel relaxed Thinking they ve arrived and started living fake life and hoping for a miraculous conversion.well during my first yr I started writing ICAN exams,though it was not easy to be reading and coping with the job pressure,even it got to a stage that my manager threatened to sack me due to his envy,even some of my co contract staff were fighting me due to their bad belle stuff too ,but with God on my side I remain focused.At last I became a chartered accountant and I got a better offer and left the bank this year

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Generaloluseye: 3:19pm On Dec 02, 2019
teejoyz:
I was once a contract staff in fbn for 5yrs and I understand their policy.the problem with our people is that once they get the job,they will feel relaxed Thinking they ve arrived and started living fake life and hoping for a miraculous conversion.well during my first yr I started writing ICAN exams,though it was not easy to be reading and coping with the job pressure,even it got to a stage that my manager threatened to sack me due to his envy,even some of my co contract staff were fighting me due to their bad belle stuff too ,but with God on my side I remain focused.At last I became a chartered accountant and I got a better offer and left the bank this year

You have said it all. Most contract staffs relax once they get the job even if the pay is 40k like the case of polaris. Some ogas will even tell you that there is no job out there just to scare you
Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by kbright2(m): 11:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
teejoyz:

Just thank God yours workout. I know of people that were laid off in same bank who started with OND upgraded themselves to master level, graduated with good grade but were later affected cos a better offer wasn't coming forth before this happened.
Have this in mind, in respective of how nice your new offer may look, you're still a slave in as much you're under someone's payroll. So don't blame others when things seems good for u, they may be doing better than you. They're free now remember is Never to Late for those that were affected. In the school of life, they are ahead of you because they're facing reality now

Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by Brozok: 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2019
My brother spent 6yrs & was fired. Bottom line is don't rely on contract bank job, look outside for a better offer. Very soon dey will contact ICSL again in obanikoro, Lagos to recruit another set of contract staff age 25yrs & use dem as slaves again for another 7yrs before dumping dem again in d overstretched labour market. tongue cool
Re: First Bank Laid Sack Another Batch by EngrVin: 4:22pm On Dec 31, 2019
Banking job is a sham... I worked with FBN with my OND for six months, that was in the year 2010. When my Direct Entry admission came out, it was a difficult decision to take. I never regretted leaving First bank for school, though I had a tough time financially afterwards.

Last last, whatever you are doing, try to get other sources of income. It's not easy, but it is achievable. May God help us all

Brozok:
My brother spent 6yrs & was fired. Bottom line is don't rely on contract bank job, look outside for a better offer. Very soon dey will contact ICSL again in obanikoro, Lagos to recruit another set of contract staff age 25yrs & use dem as slaves again for another 7yrs before dumping dem again in d overstretched labour market. tongue cool

Sterling Bank Aptitude Test / Strange Job Invite / Nigeria Breweries Test With Work Force Management

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51