Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter (18853 Views)

PDP: We Must Rescue Ogun From The Claws Of Abiodun’s Government / Segun Showunmi: Lose Akeredolu If You Will, But Do Not Push Ondo To 1983 / Atiku’s Spokesman, Segun Showunmi Concedes Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by AmeboFeeds(m): 5:41pm On Nov 30, 2019
Ever conscious leaders and citizens of our beloved Ogun State, I greet you all. I trust that you all must be concerned about the development of our beloved state just as I am.

The activities in our common patrimony demands of us the need to speak out, in the hope that things will be corrected; and in the unlikely event of that not happening, at least, it will be on record that we spoke.

It is about the peer review of our Governor, HE Dapo Abiodun, relative to his handling of affairs in the last six months since he mounted the saddle of authority in Ogun State.

To make things less cumbersome, I will speak under thematic headings and make comparisons with the past governors and also with a few good ones in this present class. For the past, I will be limiting the comparison to HE Olusegun Osoba, HE Gbenga Daniel, and HE Ibikunle Amosun.
For those on the saddle right now, I will limit myself to HE Seyi Makinde of Oyo State and HE Bello Mattawalle of Zamfara.

Areas to be reviewed:
1. General perception of capacity in office
2. Stabilisation of governance
3. Quick-wins
4. Recommendations going forward.

I make bold to say that in terms of the general perception of capacity, there is no gainsaying that Ogun has never had it so disappointing. I refresh your minds to how it was in the class of 1999 when Chief Olusegun Osoba was the leader, not only in the South West, but was also revered by many Nigerians as one who moved with clarity. You may need to remember how often his voice was heard, not just on Ogun State issues but also on the issues around the progressives in Nigeria.

Within six months, it was already clear that the Osoba government would take development to the fringes of the state and that the rural areas would get connected with activities. His Commissioner for Works, Segun Adesegun, had settled in office, and his office had become a beehive. At about the same time of six months, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, during his time, had become the wonder boy in government and project development. The entire country knew that something was up in Ogun State. Computerisation of the civil service had commenced. Also, structures and projects were already commissioned. Need I say that Daniel's pace of work was, till then, unmatched in our country. Ogun State was in the news for all the right reasons.

Senator Ibikunle Amosun had, undoubtedly, within the period under review, showed his hand firmly around his strength in road constructions. He had opened up the Ogun State economy for the influx of private sector investors in a way that had not been done before. It is on record that the former President Goodluck Jonathan administration opened more industries in Ogun State than any other state in the country. And needless to say that there was a purposefulness that brought skilled Ogun indigenes in the private sector on board. He had also commenced without delay the review of the Daniel administration. He proved that government is a sacred trust that must be reviewed and accounted for. In six months, the Amosun administration had the full structures of government in place.

Moving on to the present administration, with the activities of HE Dapo Abiodun, perhaps it may seem that he is up to something. But what is with this winking in the dark? What are his handlers doing relative to what we are used to in Ogun State? The continuous statements about public-private partnerships seem to me that the Abiodun government has no clear agenda of its own. And in case it does, it is going about things in a rather snail slow speed, which suggests a lack of preparedness. And to think his government put together such a large committee with a few good names to look at things is baffling to a patriotic citizen and lover of Ogun State.

Compare HE Dapo Abiodun to HE Seyi Makinde and tell me you are not concerned. I have no recollection at any time in this republic that commenced in 1999 that the people of Oyo State ever outpaced us in Ogun; not Lam Adesina, not Ladoja, not Akala, and certainly not Ajimobi. But can we say not Makinde? To say that will be to leave ourselves open to the butt of jokes. HE Abiodun has zero excuses for he has almost everyone, perhaps with the exception of HE Amosun, available to offer insight and suggestions. In our Yoruba proverb: Omo to ba ma je Asamu, kekere lo ti ma senu samu samu. ('The morning tells the day' , or 'make hay while the sun shines').

2. Stabilisation of Government
Is it not strange that Ogun State has not put Commissioners in place and populated its statutory commissions and boards? Ogun has never had it so late. There is no excuse nor justification for this. What is not being considered is that not having full structures of governance in place, limits the ideas and energy that the government has to draw from. How can we watch the previously slow Federal Government put its cabinet in place, yet our beloved Ogun State, under HE Dapo Abiodun, will now be grouped alongside states that do not get settled in time to work?

There is the suspicion that those who do not form their cabinets on time are people who desire to run the resources of the state with their cronies, and without input from a cabinet. Whatever be the excuse, it is clear that on this score, one would have to wonder what has become of us. All our neighbours, Lagos and Oyo states, have their cabinets in place, why not Ogun? I am sure his party faithful and supporters are at a loss as to the real reason behind the delay.

3 Quick-Wins
Anyone who desires to govern the people must know that humans are animals of short attention spans, and they tend to make up their minds quickly. As such, the champions of each era must understand that people want to see the direction and benefit of development immediately. Again, take a look at Oyo State and take a look at Zamfara and do a media audit of how those governors are perceived; then compare your audit findings with the situation in Ogun State. You will most likely return with the verdict that HE Dapo Abiodun needs to be worried.

The words on the streets of Ogun State are not favourable. Average opinion is that the Governor has taken on a responsibility that he is not prepared for. I find that extremely hard to accept for I recall his desire to be governor as far back as the 2001/2002 season. I am more persuaded to think that the challenge might be Abiodun's lack of team spirit - a case where someone courts everybody but really does not desire to work with anybody. I doubt that between Osoba, Daniel, Team Lagos, Isiaka, Team Yayi and the numerous blocks that are in his largely needless humongous coalition, what we have seen in six months is the best that is possible. So much more is expected and so much more must be done.

Recommendation
HE Abiodun needs to review things comprehensively and remember that the class of 2019 governors are going to be under unprecedented pressure. This is because from what I sense, the 2023 race may start way too early, that is if it has not begun already, with all the rumoured ambitions for presidency coming from the stable of the ruling APC. The early start to 2023 elections will take its toll on governance, and, therefore, if the Governor is not careful, he may go down as the worst person to govern Ogun State and what exactly is to be gained from that? Nothing. When our elected representatives perform, they perform for all of us, but when they fail, oh la la, they fail in their names and with enormous consequences. HE Dapo Abiodun has no reason to fail, and he must be encouraged not to.

Passing Words
Rarely have I seen a situation where doing less than the other guy is a good strategy. – Jimmy Spithill

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Mortiple(m): 7:44pm On Nov 30, 2019
Surely this is an advice from someone who loves and cares about his people.

Gov Abiodun should look beyond politics and take urgent actions immediately where necessary.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by haffaze777(m): 7:49pm On Nov 30, 2019
segun showunmi should leave our accidential governor for uscheesy

12 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by kola639: 9:43pm On Nov 30, 2019
Audio government in Ogun state

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Gazzy88(m): 10:31pm On Nov 30, 2019
Governor dapo may be the worst governor ever in the history of ogun state. He's just too dull but I suspect he's only there to loot plenty and do little.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by gloriaunobi(f): 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2019
The problem we are having is because we don't come out to fight or protest for what that is right.... we end up supporting corrupt leaders just because they are from our tribes which is very bad. let us stand up and protest against our leaders. Lebanon, Iraqi, Iran and right now in Hong Kong they are protesting for their right but we Nigerians are always afraid to do so why?

31 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Kendumazy(m): 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2019
OK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Nickisindigo(m): 7:36pm On Dec 01, 2019
leave our governor for us

1 Like

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Ashirioluwa: 7:37pm On Dec 01, 2019
AmeboFeeds:

Ever conscious leaders and citizens of our beloved Ogun State, I greet you all. I trust that you all must be concerned about the development of our beloved state just as I am.

The activities in our common patrimony demands of us the need to speak out, in the hope that things will be corrected; and in the unlikely event of that not happening, at least, it will be on record that we spoke.

It is about the peer review of our Governor, HE Dapo Abiodun, relative to his handling of affairs in the last six months since he mounted the saddle of authority in Ogun State.

To make things less cumbersome, I will speak under thematic headings and make comparisons with the past governors and also with a few good ones in this present class. For the past, I will be limiting the comparison to HE Olusegun Osoba, HE Gbenga Daniel, and HE Ibikunle Amosun.
For those on the saddle right now, I will limit myself to HE Seyi Makinde of Oyo State and HE Bello Mattawalle of Zamfara.

Areas to be reviewed:
1. General perception of capacity in office
2. Stabilisation of governance
3. Quick-wins
4. Recommendations going forward.

I make bold to say that in terms of the general perception of capacity, there is no gainsaying that Ogun has never had it so disappointing. I refresh your minds to how it was in the class of 1999 when Chief Olusegun Osoba was the leader, not only in the South West, but was also revered by many Nigerians as one who moved with clarity. You may need to remember how often his voice was heard, not just on Ogun State issues but also on the issues around the progressives in Nigeria.

Within six months, it was already clear that the Osoba government would take development to the fringes of the state and that the rural areas would get connected with activities. His Commissioner for Works, Segun Adesegun, had settled in office, and his office had become a beehive. At about the same time of six months, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, during his time, had become the wonder boy in government and project development. The entire country knew that something was up in Ogun State. Computerisation of the civil service had commenced. Also, structures and projects were already commissioned. Need I say that Daniel's pace of work was, till then, unmatched in our country. Ogun State was in the news for all the right reasons.

Senator Ibikunle Amosun had, undoubtedly, within the period under review, showed his hand firmly around his strength in road constructions. He had opened up the Ogun State economy for the influx of private sector investors in a way that had not been done before. It is on record that the former President Goodluck Jonathan administration opened more industries in Ogun State than any other state in the country. And needless to say that there was a purposefulness that brought skilled Ogun indigenes in the private sector on board. He had also commenced without delay the review of the Daniel administration. He proved that government is a sacred trust that must be reviewed and accounted for. In six months, the Amosun administration had the full structures of government in place.

Moving on to the present administration, with the activities of HE Dapo Abiodun, perhaps it may seem that he is up to something. But what is with this winking in the dark? What are his handlers doing relative to what we are used to in Ogun State? The continuous statements about public-private partnerships seem to me that the Abiodun government has no clear agenda of its own. And in case it does, it is going about things in a rather snail slow speed, which suggests a lack of preparedness. And to think his government put together such a large committee with a few good names to look at things is baffling to a patriotic citizen and lover of Ogun State.

Compare HE Dapo Abiodun to HE Seyi Makinde and tell me you are not concerned. I have no recollection at any time in this republic that commenced in 1999 that the people of Oyo State ever outpaced us in Ogun; not Lam Adesina, not Ladoja, not Akala, and certainly not Ajimobi. But can we say not Makinde? To say that will be to leave ourselves open to the butt of jokes. HE Abiodun has zero excuses for he has almost everyone, perhaps with the exception of HE Amosun, available to offer insight and suggestions. In our Yoruba proverb: Omo to ba ma je Asamu, kekere lo ti ma senu samu samu. ('The morning tells the day' , or 'make hay while the sun shines').

2. Stabilisation of Government
Is it not strange that Ogun State has not put Commissioners in place and populated its statutory commissions and boards? Ogun has never had it so late. There is no excuse nor justification for this. What is not being considered is that not having full structures of governance in place, limits the ideas and energy that the government has to draw from. How can we watch the previously slow Federal Government put its cabinet in place, yet our beloved Ogun State, under HE Dapo Abiodun, will now be grouped alongside states that do not get settled in time to work?

There is the suspicion that those who do not form their cabinets on time are people who desire to run the resources of the state with their cronies, and without input from a cabinet. Whatever be the excuse, it is clear that on this score, one would have to wonder what has become of us. All our neighbours, Lagos and Oyo states, have their cabinets in place, why not Ogun? I am sure his party faithful and supporters are at a loss as to the real reason behind the delay.

3 Quick-Wins
Anyone who desires to govern the people must know that humans are animals of short attention spans, and they tend to make up their minds quickly. As such, the champions of each era must understand that people want to see the direction and benefit of development immediately. Again, take a look at Oyo State and take a look at Zamfara and do a media audit of how those governors are perceived; then compare your audit findings with the situation in Ogun State. You will most likely return with the verdict that HE Dapo Abiodun needs to be worried.

The words on the streets of Ogun State are not favourable. Average opinion is that the Governor has taken on a responsibility that he is not prepared for. I find that extremely hard to accept for I recall his desire to be governor as far back as the 2001/2002 season. I am more persuaded to think that the challenge might be Abiodun's lack of team spirit - a case where someone courts everybody but really does not desire to work with anybody. I doubt that between Osoba, Daniel, Team Lagos, Isiaka, Team Yayi and the numerous blocks that are in his largely needless humongous coalition, what we have seen in six months is the best that is possible. So much more is expected and so much more must be done.

Recommendation
HE Abiodun needs to review things comprehensively and remember that the class of 2019 governors are going to be under unprecedented pressure. This is because from what I sense, the 2023 race may start way too early, that is if it has not begun already, with all the rumoured ambitions for presidency coming from the stable of the ruling APC. The early start to 2023 elections will take its toll on governance, and, therefore, if the Governor is not careful, he may go down as the worst person to govern Ogun State and what exactly is to be gained from that? Nothing. When our elected representatives perform, they perform for all of us, but when they fail, oh la la, they fail in their names and with enormous consequences. HE Dapo Abiodun has no reason to fail, and he must be encouraged not to.

Passing Words
Rarely have I seen a situation where doing less than the other guy is a good strategy. – Jimmy Spithill
I need someone to summarize this please

3 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by bimbax: 7:39pm On Dec 01, 2019
I sell Quality Hemp oil.
1000mg
Immediate delivery in less than 24 hours
YOU CAN PAY ON DELIVERY.

check my signature for contact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by ambu2: 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2019
Governors Sanwo Olu of Lagos and Dapo Abiodun of Ogun are fast becoming AUDIO governors. Buhari is much faster than them, which is not good signs given their relatively young age. Jabagan should please call them for counselling sessions.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by moscobabs(m): 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2019
H
Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by smogup: 7:41pm On Dec 01, 2019
So you mean Ogun state doesn't have commissioners as of now
Incredible.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by dplordx(m): 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2019
I regret voting for this man. Everyone in Otta are cursing him daily. The road leading to Otta are killing people daily and destroying livelihood. The worst thing is deputy is from that region. If the man won’t fix the major road of his deputy then there is no hope for the state. It looks like it will be another disappointing four years for Ogun State people while Lagos keeps developing. We have a governor far worse and pathetic than the previous one. Ogun State is so unlucky when it comes to leadership. Anyways 2022, Dapo is going to lose woefully.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mortiple:
Surely this is an advice from someone who loves and cares about his people.

Gov Abiodun should look beyond politics and take urgent actions immediately where necessary.

Abiodun is not ripe for governance. His demeanour tell it all.
No development project, no rehabilitation, nothing!
We don enter one chance for Ogun

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by olatuneji: 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2019
Since this governor got to power, there has no been any significant progress in the state.
The creation of job portal seems to be his only achievement. On radio & television they keep singing his praise for creating and launching the portal. Still everything nah scam. I havnt seen anyone who got employed thru the portal.
Since this governor took over mantle, the whole of Abeokuta no single pipe borne water runny.The cases of people dying daily of cholera is now on the increase. The water palava is just too much.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by omoadeleye(m): 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2019
This spoke well, i can't just phantom Dapo Abiodun ways, his things are just bvllshits,..

Badoo dan sing am... "Dapo Abiodun, oyi biribi bo mi" so his current position is just an emergency so we shouldn't expect much from him.

5 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by davosky304: 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2019
H

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by davosky304: 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2019
double post
One very unserious governor RN, check front of his old governor office opposite opic towers in abeokuta , there are over 10 pot holes facing his own office dat he's renovating now,

never av I seen so much potholes on dat roundabout in amosuns 8 years

Aside d road linking ota to lagos he's constructing now, this new ogun governor na another clown unless he proves me wrong

21 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by nuban07(m): 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2019
The man is busy looting all the money he spent on election first

He will start work next year

9 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by ntyce(m): 7:58pm On Dec 01, 2019
Very true...

What do you expect from a governor who abandoned his official residence to fly in by helicopter from his personal house in Banana island...
He's totally cut off from the reality on ground.

All the roads in the state are in total disrepair, yet no sign of the so-called Work's Dept....
The moment he decided to bring everyone onboard including opposition parties, I knew he was destined to fail.....

9 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by duduade: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2019
smogup:
So you mean Ogun state doesn't have commissioners as of now
Incredible.

I tell you..

The state is as stagnant as the Atlantic Ocean

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Fidelismaria: 8:02pm On Dec 01, 2019
South west and useless clueless governors

Bunch of mumus calling themselves suffersticated

Mtcheew

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by emmanuelpopson(m): 8:05pm On Dec 01, 2019
let the Ogun indigenes enjoy there puppet...

8 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:05pm On Dec 01, 2019
Very succinct!

HE Dapo Abiodun should wake up!

I actually do believe in this man, but I think he's too slow no matter what his plans maybe.

And like it was rightly said, humans are quick to form opinions, and as it stands, hardly is any in favour of Dapo.

He should push something abeg!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2019
is that one a governor? probably too busy thinking of how to divert fund

5 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by AtikuNetwork: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2019
Dapo Abiodun is a still a learner in politics but I think he will soon catch up. All he needs to do is to employ very good online PR and media people. Some governors are not really doing much in their states but their PR people are very good at embelishing their activities, flooding nairaland and other social media when they piss and take a sheet. It's all hype. I won't mention names but the grounded people will know those I am talking about. undecided

11 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by toprealman: 8:09pm On Dec 01, 2019
A governor that cannot fix the big potholes around OPIC/ sweet sensation needs some good spanking.

3 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by Reference(m): 8:09pm On Dec 01, 2019
When they say shun godfatherism you say no. You prefer empire building, feudalism and the personalisatuon of your common patrimony. Yiu sit idly by and let so called party leaders determine who governs you. This is the result.

Quality of governance has continued to fall in western Nigeria the further away from true democracy they have drifted.

There is no short cut to development the democracy way. It only happens by holding power in a flux. I have said it repeatedly. Democracy is not for the docile, ignorant, divisive.

If the people of Ogun donot jettison the shackles of their feudal overlords like the Bayelsans have then the state will simply go down the drain, period.

8 Likes

Re: Segun Showunmi Criticizes Dapo Abiodun's Government In Open Letter by temmytopsy1(f): 8:10pm On Dec 01, 2019
There is no good road in ogun state from oru to ijebu igbo the journey that supposed be between 3-5 minutes now take up to 20mins and there is no way you will not have body pain when you get home

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Has No Governorship Candidate In Akwa Ibom - INEC Insists / The Onitsha An Anmbra Man Will Never Show You. / APC Endorses Removal Of Ndume As Senate Leader, Congratulates Lawan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.