Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,660 members, 7,813,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 (33741 Views)

RWANDA Trades Asylum Seekers’ Freedom In Britain For £120million Cash Payment / Plane Takes Off From 2020 And Lands In 2019 (pics) / Lekki Toll Hike Causes Lock-Down On Lagos Island (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Younowhat3214: 1:21pm On Dec 03, 2019
see below
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Revolva(m): 1:21pm On Dec 03, 2019
so now the average danfo bus driver now will be holding ATm now to make payment at lekki toll gates now abi...dis is useless innovation
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by naptu2: 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2019
Revolva:
so now the average danfo bus driver now will be holding ATm now to make payment at lekki toll gates now abi...dis is useless innovation

1) They are not paying via ATM card.

2) Danfo buses have been banned from the bridge since it was built in 2013. (This cashless policy only applies to the toll plaza at the bridge)
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by naptu2: 1:35pm On Dec 03, 2019
Revolva:

naptu2:

Danfo buses have been banned from that bridge since it was built. The yellow and black danfo buses are not allowed into Lekki Phase 1. The estate has its own white shuttle buses and even the Lekki shuttle buses are not allowed on the bridge. That's why some people prefer the bridge, because they don't have to jostle with crazy danfo drivers.

Note that, according to the article, this cashless policy will only be applied on the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge. It won't be applied on the expressway.

naptu2:

Right from inception (c2011 for the expressway and 2013 for the bridge) users have had the options of using either the swiftpass system or the etag system.

A sticker is put on your windshield for the etag system and the camera reads the sticker and debits your account as you pass. This means that you don't need to stop at all.

The swiftpass system requires the use of a card that you swipe against a sensor at the toll both.

These two systems, along with the exact change lane and the regular lane (where you pay in cash and are given your change), have existed since the beginning. The only difference now is that they are scrapping the cash lanes on the bridge.

naptu2:
This is the way that you pay without cash.

1) E-tag: There's a sticker on your windscreen, like the sticker in the first picture below. There's also a camera at the toll booth. The camera reads your sticker which identifies who you are. The system immediately communicates with your LCC account and debits it and lifts the boom to allow you through the toll gate. This means that you can pass through the toll gate without stopping.

2) Swiftpass: You have one of the cards in the second picture below. You swipe the card against a sensor at the toll booth and your account is debited and it lets you through the toll gate.

There are two cards in the second picture. That's because there were two tolling companies when Governor Fashola set up the system. There was the Lekki Concession Company, which was in charge of collecting toll at the Admiralty Circle Plaza (on the Lekki-Ikoyi Expressway) and the Lekki Tolling Company, which was in charge of collecting toll on the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge. Governor Ambode cancelled the Lekki Tolling Company's concession and handed it over to the Lekki Concession Company.

There are two benefits of this cashless policy on the bridge and one potentially very serious problem.

The first and obvious benefit is that traffic will flow faster because people won't stop at the toll plaza to collect change.

The second benefit has to do with LCC's practice of closing some toll gates during rush hour. One of the biggest criticisms of LCC is that they leave some gates closed (both on the expressway and on the bridge) even during rush hour. I've always wondered why they do this. Do they gain any benefit from the traffic jams? The it finally hit me. The fewer toll gates that are open = the less wages they'll have to pay. The fact that the system is now automated might mean that they can afford to leave the gates open all the time.

There's a potentially really big problem that they might have to address. I hate using the Admiralty Circle Plaza if the e-tag gate is not working. Yet, oftentimes the e-tag gate is not working during rush hour because their systems are down. Are they sure that they will be able to keep their systems running continuously now? They should realise that some people are going to approach the toll plaza without any cash, since you can no longer pay with cash. What happens to those people if the system breaks down?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10669586_lcc3_jpegab4048f8e6c5a96c2a15c87a09246fb5

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10669587_lccltc_jpegda0eb53697790370c51212bd88474e23

1 Like

Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by MrNipplesLover(m): 1:49pm On Dec 03, 2019
EponOjuku:
Naira notes are still legal tender. They can't reject cash payments in favour of electronic payments. Even if it is only 1 lane for cash payments, they must still provide it.

That's how some banks were rejecting the NIMC slip before they warned them.

A rookie lawyer seeking fame would make mincemeat of these idiots who do things without thinking. If I can even get 400 coins of 50kobo each, I would use coins to pay them.

Let them come and tell me Lekki Toll Gate has become foreign border where Naira notes and kobo coins aren't accepted.

what a wicked soul grin grin
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Daboomb: 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2019
EponOjuku:
Naira notes are still legal tender. They can't reject cash payments in favour of electronic payments. Even if it is only 1 lane for cash payments, they must still provide it.

That's how some banks were rejecting the NIMC slip before they warned them.

A rookie lawyer seeking fame would make mincemeat of these idiots who do things without thinking. If I can even get 400 coins of 50kobo each, I would use coins to pay them.

Let them come and tell me Lekki Toll Gate has become foreign border where Naira notes and kobo coins aren't accepted.

Thank you jare!
Even in advanced countries that have betetr roads and better toll system, there are still lanes for cash payment, even with change to collect.
This criminals LCC company of Tinubu has not done anything spectacular on the Lekki road since it started collecting money on it, yet it keeps increasing the toll fee regularly. Yet it was our Tax money that Tinubu loaned his compnay to build the toll gate, how greedy can some people be, ehn?
I dont blame these criminals sha, l blame the docility of Nigerians, which is as a result of their selfishness.
The day #RevolutionNow will start, they will need to arrest more than Sowore, they would have to arrest millions of Nigerians who are ready to die, because they are already dead, literally. And they themselves will not survive it, that is certain.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by useurkidney3121: 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
OJLion:
To me this is just making life harder

Modern my ass

Even toll gates in the US is accepting cash
Just tell us this is a coded way to phase out danfo bus from that road
God bless u.... I tire for these people oooo cash payment at any toll gate is acceptable in a developed countries so i don't know what's wrong with all these dump ass leaders
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by spafu(m): 3:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
YorubaPrince:
Wey Spafu sef? angry
I dey here o, my Oga.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Daboomb: 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2019
One of the problems of Nigeria, are the supposedly "educated elite" who are too quick to jump around trying to justify this perfidy!
Most of them are as corrupt as the decisions of their boss they tend to justify and they are mostly looking for an opportunity to be called to "come and chop".
I repeat, in America and in Europe, in advanced countries in Asia, people still use cash at the Toll Gates.
If you dont have tags, you simply chose either the no-Change lane or the "pay with Change" lane.
But these fools in Nigeria will just wake up one day and tell you if you dont hava a tag, you cant pass.
Everything they do, must be by force and threat

What these fools forget is that there might be "people on transit", say a foreigner just passing through the Toll, say once or a "to-fro" journey and is not in a position to acquire a tag (If you are travelling say from the UK to France, by road, you will pass through a number of Tolls in different countries. Such people use the cash lanes of a toll plaza.
Imagine if each country says you cant pass, unless you have an E-tag! Imagine the chaos this will cause!!.
One day sha, their Goat will fo to the market and will not return home.

I see one of their hnagers-on here trying very hard to justify the stupidity of this effort by his Bourdillon master's company.
Too many daft and unrependant educated m0r0ns in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 03, 2019
anybody can just wake in this Democratic country and imposed any thing on the masses
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by ledamaster(m): 4:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
2023 deception have started. The noise so called woke lagosian will fall mugu as usual.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by agarawu23(m): 5:14pm On Dec 03, 2019
Only for big men living island. I live in fvcking mainland where I pass the road without a Kobo.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Legendguru: 5:54pm On Dec 03, 2019
Hmmm
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by naptu2: 6:22pm On Dec 03, 2019
naptu2:
It seems I'll end up doing what I did 8 or 9 years ago.

There was a huge debate on Nairaland back then. I weighed in on the debate because a lot of people were writing out of ignorance. This was basically happening in my backyard and I knew exactly what was happening.

I intended to go out, but I deliberately delayed my outing. I hoped that I would be able to take pictures of the drama, but all I saw when I was leaving home were policemen. Lots of policemen.

I left and went to do what I had to do. I came back around an hour later and everywhere was peaceful.

The drama had occurred while I was gone. There had been a war on the streets and I had missed it.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by jjohndoe83: 10:25pm On Dec 03, 2019
Kobicove:
What happens to people who only pass through the toll plaza once in a while
Exactly what I asked them tonight when I used the toll
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by naptu2: 9:52am On Dec 04, 2019
There's something wrong somewhere and I need to go and investigate once I've got the time.

The traffic on the bridge has been really terrible for almost a week now. It's usually backed up to Farm City both in the mornings and evenings.

That's not so unusual in the evenings, but it's very strange to see this in the mornings.

Are the LCC people deliberately slowing things down to justify the new policy, or is it that there are more cars plying the route now?

I need to go investigate once I'm free.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by 9jaRealist: 10:10am On Dec 04, 2019
mrgoodd:
I notice something with nigeria leaders, They start there nonsense with begging, After the masses allow them implement there useless project due to begging , They turn around and start beating people to allow them improve there implementations, Just imagine, This toll gate price has doubled the amount people paid when it was first built.

Have you ever heard of inflation and/or currency devaluation?
If you are a car owner in Nigeria and cannot afford a $1 toll, go use the Falomo Bridge or go through Onikan axis.

Meanwhile, perhaps Nigerians should be “beat” more often because I have never ever seen such lawless people in life - driving against one-way traffic, jumping queues, pasting posters where it clearly says “Post No Bills”, building on drainage channels, disposing waste in gutters and canals, disobeying every rule and regulation ever made and being proud of it as supposedly being ‘smart’, the list is endless!
>
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by mollie12: 1:09pm On Dec 04, 2019
No cash payment, what's the alternative? That's something they should have communicated on the banner.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by mollie12: 1:14pm On Dec 04, 2019
Daboomb:
One of the problems of Nigeria, are the supposedly "educated elite" who are too quick to jump around trying to justify this perfidy!
Most of them are as corrupt as the decisions of their boss they tend to justify and they are mostly looking for an opportunity to be called to "come and chop".
I repeat, in America and in Europe, in advanced countries in Asia, people still use cash at the Toll Gates.
If you dont have tags, you simply chose either the no-Change lane or the "pay with Change" lane.
But these fools in Nigeria will just wake up one day and tell you if you dont hava a tag, you cant pass.
Everything they do, must be by force and threat

What these fools forget is that there might be "people on transit", say a foreigner just passing through the Toll, say once or a "to-fro" journey and is not in a position to acquire a tag (If you are travelling say from the UK to France, by road, you will pass through a number of Tolls in different countries. Such people use the cash lanes of a toll plaza.
Imagine if each country says you cant pass, unless you have an E-tag! Imagine the chaos this will cause!!.
One day sha, their Goat will fo to the market and will not return home.

I see one of their hnagers-on here trying very hard to justify the stupidity of this effort by his Bourdillon master's company.
Too many daft and unrependant educated m0r0ns in Nigeria

E no even reach insult, but you are right, it makes absolutely no sense. They are probably trying to save labour costs (by sacking the toll attendants) or trying to ease payment tracking through digitisation. But there must consider alternatives for the kind of scenarios you have painted above, or else this will be a chaotic transition. I hope whoever is advising them has thought this move through.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by Passionate888: 10:37am On Dec 05, 2019
Unghost:

illiterates are not hard to find in nairaland grin grin
'ON' not 'IN'. Educated illiterate like you.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by naptu2: 7:08pm On Dec 05, 2019
*Sudden realisation*

Now I feel kind of silly. I've been using that bridge almost everyday since it was built in 2013, yet I rushed to comment on this thread like most of the people that rush to comment on this kind of thread.

I was debating this issue with my nephew this morning when I suddenly came to a realisation.

My nephew said that the policy doesn't make any sense because it will prevent people that do not live in Lekki from using the bridge. That's when it occurred to me.

I did not have e-tag for the toll plaza on the bridge (my e-tag was for the Admiralty Circle plaza), yet I've passed through the toll plaza on the bridge and paid without giving any cash to the toll collector.

I suspect that's what non-residents will do. They'll use the vouchers. They don't need to get e-tags and they don't need to pay cash. They'll use the vouchers.

You'll know what I mean if you use the bridge regularly.
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by ojay2053(m): 7:45pm On Dec 05, 2019
Haven’t they collected the money spent in building the road plus interest made. The toll should be scrapped jor .
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by naptu2: 1:49pm On Dec 08, 2019
This is for the people that mentioned danfo.

The following vehicles have been banned from the bridge since it was built (in fact, I remember that the former governor emphasised this fact in his speech during the commissioning of the bridge).

1) Motorcycles below 200cc capacity (Okada)

2) Auto rickshaws (Keke Marwa)

3) Minibus taxis (danfo)

4) Large goods trucks.

5) High capacity buses (Molue, BRT, etc.)

6) Trailer trucks

Although commercial motorcycles are banned from the bridge, some commercial motorcyclists used the bridge after it was commissioned. They usually get off their bikes and carry them onto the walkway just before the toll plaza and then bring them back onto the road after the toll plaza. Many of these motorcyclists were later arrested.

However, soldiers and policemen on (private) motorcycles continued to use the bridge and the managing director of the LCC had to report them to the authorities at the Nigerian Army a few months ago.

Some commercial motorcyclists still use the bridge, but this is usually during rush hour. They pick people from Alexander Avenue and drop them just before the toll plaza. Then they pick people that are waiting on the sidewalk after the toll plaza, do a U-turn and head back to Ikoyi.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10698700_20191208065214_jpeg9beec52876d76e72993a5c86644c341a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10698707_20191208072354_jpegdbfc778f0cc3b810e3c01b615364f1e5

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10698711_20191208072358_jpeg3bddd8453eee73efcd87ead8d0628116
Re: No More Cash Payment At Lekki Toll From 2020 by razible5384(m): 9:41pm On Jan 30, 2020
mosho2good:
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
Life is not about finding the right person, but creating the right relationship. It's not how we care in the beginning, but how much we care till the very end.
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
Some people always throw stones in your path. It depends on what you make with them; a Wall or a Bridge? - Remember you are the architect of your life.
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
Search for a good heart, but don't search for a beautiful face, coz beautiful things are not always good, but good things are always beautiful.
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
It’s not important to hold all the good cards in life, but it’s important how well you play with the cards you hold.
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
Often when we lose all hope & think this is the end, remember God and pray, it’s just a bend, not the end.' -
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
Have faith and have a successful life. One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives and forgives. But the human gets and forgets. Be thankful in life...
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
If u think it is your alarm clock that woke you up this morning, try putting it beside a dead body and you will realise that it is the Grace of God that woke you up.
�➖➖➖➖➖➖
have been a silent but ardent follower of your comments for some time now an I must confess you are truly a genuis, ur input are not only laced with humor but very educational an inspiration filled. May the good Lord bless you real good, an may his fountain of wisdom never run dry in your life..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uber/bolt (taxify) Drivers In Nigeria Beware Of This Scam / The 2 Victims Who Survived The Accident Which Killed 21 Students In Kano / Train Crushes Mother And Daughter To Death In Delta (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.