Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or (43286 Views)

Ronaldo Won Saudi Pro League Player Of The Month For February With 8 Goals 2 Ass / Lionel Messi: When Cristiano Levelled Me, I Have To Admit That It Hurt Me A Lot / Messi: It Would Have Been Humiliating If Nigeria Eliminated Us From World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Dindondin(m): 8:06pm On Dec 03, 2019
Davidzy23:

Never really wanted to abuse u bro.. it's just a joke..

But let bygones be bygones.. he won it already u can't be wailing for what happened 6 or 8 yrs back... MESSI is the GOAT..
u r d wailer here. Even with Messi's victory, he's still wailing like you

1 Like

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by harveygordon: 8:11pm On Dec 03, 2019
Officialgarri:

I pray he wins the next and the next and the next till his retirement.

I want to Ronaldo to hate him alot and cry everyday at the mention of Messi

Child of hate What have you achieved in your own life?
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by DECLAN2015(m): 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2019
yusfatedeeprof:
Why won't he be hurt, when they decide to give award to agbalumo (penaldo) instead of strawberry (messi)

The only reason penaldo equalled him is the champion league madrid won 3 times consecutively, Messi has always been a better player

Just listen to yourself
Has always I disagree.iniesta nko
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by RexTramadol1: 8:31pm On Dec 03, 2019
apasino01:
imagine Ronaldo stayed in man united till date

He can't be as competitive as he is cos Man United team will suffocate him

That's what makes Messi different, through thick and thin he stood still and continued carving a niche for himself

Barca has had their periods of triumph and woes and Messi never waned cos he's got the quality

Ferguson didn't leave United and he's one of the greatest coaches ever, it didn't dent his reputation one bit

1 Like

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by OdenKelechi(m): 8:40pm On Dec 03, 2019
uzoma213:
hahahaha, oga calm down oo, I'm a Ronaldo fan. I pray he bottles this lead undecided
Age is legit not on ronaldo's side. He should've stayed back at madrid if he wanted more Balon D'ors
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2019
Jyde89:

way ahead of him you mean to say, "on par with him" Ronaldo wish.
way ahead? How? Y'all just lucky Ronaldo was denied his sixth ballon dor because he left Madrid.
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by charlesm91(m): 8:45pm On Dec 03, 2019
Jokerman:
I thought Messi fans said Messi doesn't do competitions?? grin
no mind them. Humans are humans afterall. Like say them dey Messi mind to know his persona. Congrats to him still
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 8:46pm On Dec 03, 2019
eni4real:
Whose career is 2 years older?? Who should be leading anyway??

Messi turned him to a chaser!!

Well, this is another chance for Cristiano to be at his mentor's level... !!

Hope he win the next Ballon d'or after Messi has set another pace for him undecided
by your analysis, zlatan should have more ballon dor than both of them, because na age dey win ballon dor
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by charlesm91(m): 8:49pm On Dec 03, 2019
OdenKelechi:

Age is legit not on ronaldo's side. He should've stayed back at madrid if he wanted more Balon D'ors
truth, he should’ve settled with Perez cus la liga is just so easy to keep banging goals than that Seria A he went to and we know Ronaldo love them goals. But if he does manage to win ucl with Juve then he would no doubt have challenged himself in a way unimaginable
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by KingRollins01(m): 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2019
I'm certain these two will end their career at par on this Ballon d'Or award.

1 Like

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Icon79(m): 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
FIFA/BALON D'OR

MESSI- 6

RONALDO- 5

INTERNATIONAL HONOURS

MESSI-2

RONALDO-1

GOLDEN BOOTS

MESSI-6

RONALDO-4

TROPHIES

MESSI- 36

RONALDO-29

PLAYMAKER AWARDS

MESSI-4

RONALDO- 0

WORLD CUP GOLDEN BALL

MESSI- 1

RONALDO- 0

THE GOAT DEBATE IS DEAD AND BURIED #MESSIX �

O pari

3 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by TLION(m): 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
Officialgarri:

I pray he wins the next and the next and the next till his retirement.

I want to Ronaldo to hate him alot and cry everyday at the mention of Messi
. Why so much bitterness over your fellow human being sad sad sad Dam
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Deleikh: 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2019
uzoma213. I am sure VVD is just being sarcastic, he meant no disrespect. Ronaldo's sister is just being unnecessarily bitter. :
Lionel Messi admits “it hurt” when Cristiano Ronaldo joined him on five Ballon d’Or triumphs, with the Barcelona superstar claiming to understand the frustration of a rival who opted not to attend the 2019 ceremony.

Messi had dropped to fifth in the vote 12 months ago, while four years had passed since he was last recognised as the finest player on the planet.

In that time, Portuguese icon Ronaldo added another two Ballons d’Or to his collection, with a run of four wins in the space of five years taking the Juventus forward level with an eternal foe.

Messi admits he found it difficult to see Ronaldo claiming his fifth award and can appreciate why the Juventus star - who was in Milan to collect a Serie A Player of the Year prize on Monday rather Paris - will be experiencing similar emotions in the present.

“On the one hand, I enjoyed having five and being the only one,” Messi told France Football .

“When Cristiano moved level, I admit that it hurt me a bit. I was no longer alone at the top. But it made sense, although it was good when I was alone at five.

“Was I frustrated in the last few years? Let's say I understood why I did not win.

“As a team, we had not achieved our major goal, which was to win the Champions League, which gives you more chances to win the Ballon d'Or.

“When Cristiano Ronaldo won it is because he had achieved great seasons by winning the Champions League and being decisive. It was deserved, there was not much I could do.

“Did I feel injustice? It's up to you to tell me if the Ballon d'Or is awarded to the best player or the one who enjoys the best season.

“It is also down to individual taste. Some prefer Cristiano, others myself or Neymar or [Kylian] Mbappe. People have the right to choose the one they like most.”

Ronaldo finished third in the 2019 vote, the first time he has dropped out of the top two since 2010.

Messi added on the emotions of a man who has helped him to take his own game to even greater heights: “Do I understand Ronaldo's frustration? It is something that we live, feel and express according to our own way of being.

“Once again, the collective titles are the most important thing, even if the individual trophies are rewarding.

“When the Ballon d'Or eludes you, everyone reacts in their own way. But when you are a top athlete, you always want to win.”

Messi finds himself back at the summit of the global game and intends to make the most of such a standing at 32 years of age.

“It is exceptional to win the Ballon d'Or four years in a row, and win another 10 years after the first, it puts into perspective the longevity of my career,” added the South American.

“It's hard to stay competitive for a decade. I was lucky to be able to do it.”

Source: https://www.goal.com/en/news/messi-it-hurt-when-ronaldo-won-his-fifth-ballon-dor/jo9o8ow48ppq1xosllwkuxnrg
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by charlesm91(m): 8:59pm On Dec 03, 2019
Reussite:
I knew he'ad be unsettled when CR7 equalled his 5 Balon D'or awards. Its a natural feeling of wanting to be the overall best.
I can bet Messi was scared CR7 was going to win his 6th Balon D'or ahead of him when R.Madrid won the CL in 2018 not forgetting CR7 better performance at the world cup.
Let him enjoy his victory but I know he knows his rival was robbed last year. sad
Messi should be thankful Madrid lost form after Ronaldo left and that they exited the ucl cos if Madrid won again hell no way Messi is taking this. Liverpool might be big but they’re no Madrid in status or influence. If CR7 didn’t leave Madrid Modric wasn’t winning that.
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 03, 2019
uzoma213:
by your analysis, zlatan should have more ballon dor than both of them, because na age dey win ballon dor
Compare players of similar talents!!
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Zoroaster: 9:08pm On Dec 03, 2019
I saw someone say ronaldo will win ballon d'or again grin..with the way he's playing these days he wont even make top 15 next year

Trust me messi will win like 2 more.. Leo the goat
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Deandean: 9:10pm On Dec 03, 2019
Correcto:
People are saying Messi is sincere but if Ronaldo said this people will say he is too jealous

No boss,u shld understand d context of the media release...this is a reaction to Ronaldo not showing up...he simply was calling for his fans to understand his absence as any1 would b pained to loss,and he graciously admitted he felt same...appreciate him for defending him,international media and other stakeholders including ronaldo's fans are hailing d release...why do We Nigerians reason out of context .

Ronaldo can never ever ever make this kind of statement...he can never ever admit some1 dd better n deserved it wen he ddnt get it,he never mentioned the team that won d cl which gave him d edge..he'll rather make brags..i am the best player in 20 yrs...y? Hez a great player,but his football is too mechanical.

2 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Abdbaba: 9:11pm On Dec 03, 2019
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by blowjohn(m): 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2019
[quote author=uzoma213 post=84584283]Lionel Messi admits “it hurt” when Cristiano Ronaldo joined him on five Ballon d’Or triumphs, with the Barcelona superstar claiming to understand the frustration of a rival who opted not to attend the 2019 ceremony.

Messi had dropped to fifth in the vote 12 months ago, while four years had passed since he was last recognised as the finest player on the planet.

In that time, Portuguese icon Ronaldo added another two Ballons d’Or to his collection, with a run of four wins in the space of five years taking the Juventus forward level with an eternal foe.

Messi admits he found it difficult to see Ronaldo claiming his fifth award and can appreciate why the Juventus star - who was in Milan to collect a Serie A Player of the Year prize on Monday rather Paris - will be experiencing similar emotions in the present.

“On the one hand, I enjoyed having five and being the only one,” Messi told France Football .

“When Cristiano moved level, I admit that it hurt me a bit. I was no longer alone at the top. But it made sense, although it was good when I was alone at five.

“Was I frustrated in the last few years? Let's say I understood why I did not win.

“As a team, we had not achieved our major goal, which was to win the Champions League, which gives you more chances to win the Ballon d'Or.

“When Cristiano Ronaldo won it is because he had achieved great seasons by winning the Champions League and being decisive. It was deserved, there was not much I could do.

“Did I feel injustice? It's up to you to tell me if the Ballon d'Or is awarded to the best player or the one who enjoys the best season.

“It is also down to individual taste. Some prefer Cristiano, others myself or Neymar or [Kylian] Mbappe. People have the right to choose the one they like most.”

Ronaldo finished third in the 2019 vote, the first time he has dropped out of the top two since 2010.

Messi added on the emotions of a man who has helped him to take his own game to even greater heights: “Do I understand Ronaldo's frustration? It is something that we live, feel and express according to our own way of being.

“Once again, the collective titles are the most important thing, even if the individual trophies are rewarding.

“When the Ballon d'Or eludes you, everyone reacts in their own way. But when you are a top athlete, you always want to win.”

Messi finds himself back at the summit of the global game and intends to make the most of such a standing at 32 years of age.

'Ronaldo finished third in the 2019 vote, the first time he has dropped out of the top two since 2010'.
.......9 years and still in the top 3.
yet one uncompleted building called van dyke was talking trash about Ronaldo not being a rival.
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by matkid(m): 9:39pm On Dec 03, 2019
INSTANTCASH345:
Is this a professional speech or a hate speech?

After Ronaldo was rubbed of the title,you still got the gut to issue this type if press statement not minding the extent to which he will be affected psychologically...

Mr Messi,go and learn how to make a rival statement or has Ronaldo ever made such statement before to you?

u are still far from civilization.........did u read at all?
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by matkid(m): 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2019
Niwdog:
Messi is football
Football is Messi
Ororo is good no doubt
But saying he is better than Messi
Is like saying a priest is good at incantation than a native priest
see I don't know why we Nigerians are like dis,even most of their fellow players admitts messi is better.........saying Ronaldo is better Dan messi is an insult to football in general and a course to talent

1 Like

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by matkid(m): 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2019
8stargeneral:
if it's Ronaldo that said this now they will be against him, imagine Messi been frustrated because of persons achievement?
he said it to cover up for Ronaldo not attending the show...........baba messi get good heart....the last time Ronaldo won it he said he is the best player in the past 20 years,messi will never say that....... humility make me respect messi....u will neva see messi bragging dats why most of the players love him more than Ronaldo
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Vivos: 10:13pm On Dec 03, 2019
Forward77:
That is human nature.
But for me, Ronaldo has 6. Now messi has 6. It’s a win win
Modric has nothing doing with the balon d’or
I thought Ronaldo has 5 Ballon d'ors?
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Uwavee(m): 10:16pm On Dec 03, 2019
eni4real:
Ronaldo moved about because he graduated from a less privileged academy called Sporting Lisbon..

All their graduates always move about seeking for greener pastures...

If he graduated from Barcelona or Real Madrid Academy.. His dream will be to become a legend of the senior team!!!

Nobody ask me and you to be from Nigeria... That is the reason we will be seeking for greener pastures like Ronaldo!!!

But Mark Zuckerberg will always be better than you and I.. Even though he stay put in USA!!
this is making too much sense. nice one bro
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 10:17pm On Dec 03, 2019
OdenKelechi:

you are correct.
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by akimoriyomi(m): 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2019
INSTANTCASH345:
Is this a professional speech or a hate speech?

After Ronaldo was robbed of the title,you still got the gut to issue this type of press statement not minding the extent to which he will be affected psychologically...

Mr Messi,go and learn how to make a rival statement or has Ronaldo ever made such statement before to you?

which one is Rival statement again... 0lori ebi o'ba ku... Alalanlala.... Ko kanye
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by kingjrofficial(m): 10:38pm On Dec 03, 2019
Sirmuel1:
Messi everyone knows you're the best
did u just say "Everyone"

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by ajericho(m): 10:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
yusfatedeeprof:
Why won't he be hurt, when they decide to give award to agbalumo (penaldo) instead of strawberry (messi)

The only reason penaldo equalled him is the champion league madrid won 3 times consecutively, Messi has always been a better player

And van Gil didn't win the champions league?
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
Uwavee:
this is making too much sense. nice one bro
ajericho:

And van Gil didn't win the champions league?
Thanks bro.. We need to be real on this topic..
Too much bias is undermining Messi vs CR7 debate!!
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by kingjrofficial(m): 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2019
Ronaldo shouldn't have left Madrid...he's now living on his past glory.. I can't see him in 3yrs ahead.. Nigga is now outdated..

#FromCR7fan
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Sirmuel1(m): 11:08pm On Dec 03, 2019
kingjrofficial:
did u just say "Everyone"

Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet Anthony Jude Izuchukwu, Super Eagles New Boy / Stephen Keshi's Wife, Kate Buried Today / Cristiano Ronaldo And His Bugatti Chiron Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.