Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,747 members, 7,955,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:05 PM

Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map (21038 Views)

FRSC Gives Condition For Use Of Google Map While Driving / FRSC: Using Google Map While Driving Is A Serious Offence / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Marvieduke(f): 7:14am On Dec 06, 2019
Seems the both FRSC officers are confused
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by PuZZyNegro: 7:19am On Dec 06, 2019
Criticaltemp:
God knows i dont even use that google map thing. If i no know road, i ask the person wey dey waka for leg pass

I bet you don't stay in Lagos. You have never been directed to one direction by Mr. A, only to be told to go back to the exact location that you are coming from by Mr. B

Worst is trying to call the attention of passers-bys from your car and they will totally ignore you and be moving their way like you are not there

Attempt to stop indiscriminately to ask for road will either have your car bashed or have the law enforcement agents deal with you.

Oh, I forgot the cost of missing your way can add additional 30 minutes to your journey because some roads once passed, there's no going back and to make U-turn can be expensive and many more.

Without Google maps, I don't think I can drive in Lagos.

And even when you ask the FRSC officers for directions, they are most likely clueless.

USE YOUR GOOGLE MAPS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Opayguyy(m): 7:23am On Dec 06, 2019
It's safer to keep your eyes on the road
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Naijaarchive(m): 7:29am On Dec 06, 2019
Google Map For Nigeria that is outdated...... Most direction shown are no longer correct jare
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by adanny01(m): 7:32am On Dec 06, 2019
Personally am surprised at FRSC.

Banning the use of GPS is unlawful but the ban on using a mobile phone while driving is lawful.

My pain is that the Marshalls will use the lawful one to exploit motorist.

From the breaking story, the woman said the Marshall requested her to unlock her phone. This action of the Marshall was illegal. Her fine stood only because after unlocking her phone, the google app was active. That meant her offense was using Google maps which cannot be an offence.

I have used and still use Google maps without a phone holder. What i do is, I park or before my trip, I find my destination, press start then keep ny phone where I can glance at it to confirm my turns. Beside that, I get voice prompt response from the app which helps even if am not looking at the phone.

The issue is, if a marshall sees me, I don't have a phone on my hand. Is it an infringement?

Just like the Marshalls fine motorist for expired tire when the real offence should have been wornout tire. Or fining for shattered windscreen when the motorist has a hairline crack. This law will cause serious exploitation by Marshalls.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by wildernessVoice: 7:37am On Dec 06, 2019
feelme3:
Set your location, set your destination, click go.
Click start to activate. And hang device on device holder in your car before engaging drive. Shikena.

That is the process for using GMaps safely.

See FRSC clarification on link below
https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/

I'll add that your device should be on loud speaker for the voice output to guide without distraction as you navigate to your set destination.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Nobody: 7:40am On Dec 06, 2019
Lush100:
Dear folks, so far, I've read two conflicting information from two different FRSC spokesperson on Google map.
The spokesperson who spoke from Abuja says it's an offense while the spokesperson from Lagos says it's not an offense but it could lead to distractions and that users should set it in motion before setting out for destination,
Please which is it?
An offense or not.
OP, you know what? I'm just happy some developments didn't come from Africa...Nigeria in particular. We would have monetized and messed up everything. Google map was offered for free for a direction by the westerners and some scumbags aren't seeing it as a development? If you want to disgrace yourself, just ask anyone in america or common south africa for a direction...you'd just hear, please ask Google. Its so easy. I pledge to Nigeria my country grin

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by NigeriaEngineer(m): 7:42am On Dec 06, 2019
So they want me to use google map only in my compound. Our policies to curb perceived risk are too conventional and almajiri in nature. These government agencies needs to grow.

Find alternative solution like the phone handler, google map has been one of the innovative transport technology i have ever seen.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 06, 2019
It is an offense, don't compare America road to Nigeria.

Nigeria is a porthole country, therefore it is an offense to drive with Google map.

Case close.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by badman007(m): 8:14am On Dec 06, 2019
You can use somthing laidis... Its not Rocket science..

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by jaxxy(m): 8:23am On Dec 06, 2019
Common sense is not common with our leaders and law enforcement.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by tiwiex(m): 8:30am On Dec 06, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
It should be an offense.

Anytime you drive a motor vehicle and have a telephone device in your hand causes a distraction.

I followed some numpty oPay okada rider who was actively pressing his phone as he was riding.

You raised a critical point. How do the opay guys work with phones and ride?
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Lush100(m): 8:35am On Dec 06, 2019
This can be the issue.

2) It is also illegal for you to punch in directions into your phone, even if the phone is mounted on the dash board. Your hand will also be off the wheel and your eyes will be off the road.

so if u want to turn the volume of ur car radio, or search for another FM station or adjust the AC on your car dashboard, we are going to use our hand or use bluetooth? anything on dash board..no hand again?

@fairfora
@9icetoo
@EgunMogaji2
@bigtt76

naptu2:

It's simple

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by samuelshosanya(m): 8:40am On Dec 06, 2019
probably the way u asked them the question was different, because operating ur phone while driving even if it is google map that u are navigating is wrong but when you have set it and hang it on the holder before u start driving is not an offence, so it depends on how u asked them the question or how they understand your question.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by naptu2: 8:42am On Dec 06, 2019
Lush100:

so if u want to turn the volume of ur car radio, or search for another FM station or adjust the AC on your car dashboard, we are going to use our hand or use bluetooth? anything on dash board..no hand again?

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/users/young-people/distraction_en

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by slack: 8:50am On Dec 06, 2019
so that split seconds you use to check dash board instrument, rear view mirror and side mirror will not cause accident abi. make una dey sincere sometimes na.
naptu2:

It's simple

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by naptu2: 8:55am On Dec 06, 2019
slack:
so that split seconds you use to check dash board instrument, rear view mirror and side mirror will not cause accident abi. make una dey sincere sometimes na.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/users/young-people/distraction_en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_head-up_display
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by tot(f): 9:40am On Dec 06, 2019
omakay:
Let this FRSC people tell us exactly what they want.

Normally, a smart phone with active gps map is supposed to be used with a phone holder ( we no need frsc to tell us that one).

You cannot be actively driving and be navigating your way with your phone in your hand. That is suicide and such a person should be hanged (That is Hate-Speech-Driving).

But if FRSC is cancelling smartphone gps maps altogether, thereby limiting us to gps map embedded in the dashboard system, they should clearly state that.

As for the person who was arrested by officials of FRSC for using gps maps while driving, she did not tell us if she was using it with a phone-holder or she held it in her hands.

Hanging a person is not something to joke about.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by omakay(m): 10:20am On Dec 06, 2019
tot:

Hanging a person is not something to joke about.

In public discussions, serious matters when discussed at times comes with a slice of light notes.

You should get used to it.

There is always a light side to most things.

Get used to that too.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by omakay(m): 10:24am On Dec 06, 2019
Stalwert:
Let's us learn to use of common sense, you cannot be handling a phone when driving, in Abuja you will be immediately sent for psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Hence you are supposed to have a phone holder in your car that is already programmed with where you are going.

Exactly.......

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by oglalasioux(m): 10:28am On Dec 06, 2019
Just forget who said what. Road Safety guys see the job as a money making venture. They will make up any rule (including this stupid one in an age ruled by the Internet) just to fleece the public.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by tot(f): 10:33am On Dec 06, 2019
omakay:

In public discussions, serious matters when discussed at times comes with a slice of light notes.

You should get used to it.

There is always a light side to most things.

Get used to that too.

There are other ways to add a light side to serious discussions besides joking about hanging. There is nothing light side about that.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by 9icetoo(m): 5:15pm On Dec 06, 2019
Lush100:
This can be the issue.

2) It is also illegal for you to punch in directions into your phone, even if the phone is mounted on the dash board. Your hand will also be off the wheel and your eyes will be off the road.

@fairfora
@9icetoo
@EgunMogaji2
@bigtt76

Punching in directions on your phone is like texting while driving or scrolling for a contact. Very dangerous. It takes your attention away from the road much longer than just turning on the AC or hitting the seek button for a radio station.

The Google maps should be set before the start of the journey.
A quick glance at the phone screen placed at eye level shouldn't distract a driver and as such isn't an offence.
Common sense of course comes into play when using amenities in a car. You don't start tuning for Wazobia FM when travelling at 100km/hr on a busy road.
That's a death wish.
Again, set your stuffs up before you commence your journey.
Any action that takes you longer than a second to complete while driving should hold on till you park your vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2019
9icetoo:

Punching in directions on your phone is like texting while driving or scrolling for a contact. Very dangerous. It takes your attention away from the road much longer than just turning on the AC or hitting the seek button for a radio station.

A quick glance at the phone screen placed at eye level shouldn't distract a driver and as such isn't an offence.
Common sense of course comes into play when using amenities in a car. You don't start tuning for Wazobia FM when travelling at 100km/hr on a busy road.
That's a death wish.
Any action that takes you longer than a second to complete while driving should hold on till you park your vehicle.
Yes, turning on your google map before the start of the journey is the best and only option, which I'm not opposed to. Most fatal Alaccidents arising from distraction often occur in seconds. Automobile manufacturers globally are improving on their brands every year. There comes a time when we could change radio channels without touching the dash board. Now we can make and receive calls wirelessly while driving
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by 9icetoo(m): 5:26pm On Dec 06, 2019
slack:
It can but it shouldn't if used properly. A second glance at your dash or mirror won't cause you an accident if you are situationally aware, maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you and driving at a safe speed for existing road and weather conditions.
Again, common sense. Sometimes, it takes even less than a second to take a glance.
May I ask, do you check your blind spot before you overtake or change lanes?
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Legendguru: 6:09pm On Dec 06, 2019
They don’t know how to use it so they trying to discourage people
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Lush100(m): 6:12pm On Dec 06, 2019
of course its a discreet act and not a whole lot.
no one wants to die and i'm no phone freak.
like u said just quick touch..anything more than that requires parking.
i am talking about the issue in the light of FRSC manner of behavior and not the danger of distraction.
i may as well just be adjusting the phone or trying to unplug the charger at the base, and then u are stopped for using phone.
that's the perspective.

9icetoo:

That's a death wish.
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by naptu2: 2:33pm On Dec 07, 2019
joshcaleb200:

The Corps Marshal vowed that his men would continue to arrest and sanction motorists using phones while driving.

He explained that drivers were free to use google map but said the phone should be placed on the dashboard with both hands on the steering wheel.

According to him, “You can’t hold the phone with one hand and drive with the other while using google map. That is distracted driving and the law is clear on that.

https://www.legit.ng/amp/1282305-frsc-traffic-light-violators-pay-n50-000-fine-2020.html

https://www.nairaland.com/5569584/frsc-introduce-n50000-fine-traffic#84705572
Re: Please What Is FRSC's Stand On Google Map by Lush100(m): 5:12pm On Dec 07, 2019
Your last paragraph is the issue.
Exploitation by some FRSC personnel.
I was asking to be sure the issue is phone in hand and not the Google maps itself.; to know whether to detach the phone holder from the dashboard.
Funny enough u will be surprised that men in uniform will be in look out for those with phone holders as evidence that they were using the GPS even when u aren't; even when the phone isn't placed on it.

adanny01:
Personally am surprised at FRSC.

Banning the use of GPS is unlawful but the ban on using a mobile phone while driving is lawful.

My pain is that the Marshalls will use the lawful one to exploit motorist.

From the breaking story, the woman said the Marshall requested her to unlock her phone. This action of the Marshall was illegal. Her fine stood only because after unlocking her phone, the google app was active. That meant her offense was using Google maps which cannot be an offence.

I have used and still use Google maps without a phone holder. What i do is, I park or before my trip, I find my destination, press start then keep ny phone where I can glance at it to confirm my turns. Beside that, I get voice prompt response from the app which helps even if am not looking at the phone.

The issue is, if a marshall sees me, I don't have a phone on my hand. Is it an infringement?

Just like the Marshalls fine motorist for expired tire when the real offence should have been wornout tire. Or fining for shattered windscreen when the motorist has a hairline crack. This law will cause serious exploitation by Marshalls.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Flying Cars Collection - Which Of These Will You Go For? / Where In Lagos Are The Best Car Washes / Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.