Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff (15433 Views)

CBN Staff: We Are Living In Fear Of Sack / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Born2Breed(f): 7:07am On Dec 05, 2019
Long overdue
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by czaratwork: 7:09am On Dec 05, 2019
Good move
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by jahsharon: 7:11am On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
It is not by force to permanent a worker, we have casual workers all over the world, to permanent a worker is entirely the choice of the employee, they consider many things before doing that, like your dedication to work, ability to upsale, and even the amount of income generated by the establishment etc.

This guy should be brought to the market square and flocked 100 strokes of koboko everyday for 100 days. He is possessed by evil spirits and only flogging drives out demons.

5 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by obi58: 7:13am On Dec 05, 2019
Charity they say begins at home.

Why won't banks employ casual staff when jobs are hard to come by in this economy?

When juicy jobs in our civil service and oil sector is mainly done through connections and not merit?

When the economic environment for banks and businesses to survive is highly challenging?

When support for budding entrepreneurs in terms of loans or grants with no collateral is nowhere to be found?

When graduates and skilled workers are striving everyday to travel out in search of a better future?

Let's put the cart before the horse first.

Banks should be commended for being one of the largest sources of employment in this country despite the challenging business environment.

If all these laws are enforced, it would simply mean that many people will be laid off creating more unemployment.

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Kobicove(m): 7:13am On Dec 05, 2019
It is not possible to completely stop casualisation in the banking industry cos some jobs require adhoc staff
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by helinues: 7:16am On Dec 05, 2019
Livebydaygodie:

The main moniker of the chief troll that crosses out your posts is "livebyday"

He keeps this particular moniker to unsuspecting eyes and pretends to be civil on it while, creating multiple other monikers and accounts daily to troll and extort money as I've heard.

Please, make sure to report his posts on his main moniker "livebyday" as well.

Thanks

I don't think the guy is behind it cos he is possibly from SS.. SS people are not that bitter
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by VanGun: 7:17am On Dec 05, 2019
Freshgossip:
The House of Representatives has urged the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to penalize commercial banks that fail to convert all casual workers to permanent staff without delay.

The Green Chamber urged all commercial banks to convert all casual workers to permanent staff.
Instead of Reading Naija News i prefer listening to Good Naija Songs Biko ooooo

The resolutions followed the consideration of motion moved by Amobi Akintola (APC, Osun) during Wednesday’s plenary.

According to Akintola, most of the banks are raking in billions as profit but equally continue to casualize workers.

Akintola explained that “prior to the emergence of new generation banks in Nigeria, staff of banks were usually full time workers and entitled to series of benefits from the banks they worked for, including promotions, health packages, productivity, life insurance policies, housing allowances, wardrobe allowances, feeding allowances etc. which made banking jobs enviable work for all and sundry in the country;

“That with the advent of new generation banks in the country, so many things changed in the banking industry but despite all the challenges being faced by the new generation banks, the financial sector still remains one of the most viable sectors of the Nigerian economy with each of the banks having a minimum of twenty-five billion naira only (N25, 000,000,000) as its capital base.”

He stated further that “In 2017, Guaranty Trust Bank declared a profit before tax of one hundred and eighty-six billion naira only (N186,000,000,000) followed by Zenith Bank Plc, which in the same financial year declared a profit before tax of one hundred and seventy-three billion naira only (N173,000,000,000) while Access Bank Plc came third with a profit of eighty billion naira (N80,000,000,000) and by the end of that year, all the banks in Nigeria had declared jumbo profits, a situation that was repeated in 2018 when the banks made huge profits;

“Commissions and charges that banks had raked in as at September 30, 2019 were over seven hundred billion naira (N700,000,000,000), without considering money generated from loans, advances and other portfolio investments of the banks, evidencing the lucrative nature of banking business.”

The lawmaker linked uptick in fraud in the banking sector to the casualization of workers in the sector.

“Despite the huge profits being made by commercial banks, they still casualize most of their core operational staff, as (90) percent of bank workers are casual staff, a development that is an act of exploitation of the unemployed youths;

“Core operations of banks like tellering customer service, relationship management, marketing, business development, internal controls etc are being handled by contract staff who are not entitled to promotion, health care services, utility allowances, productivity etc, thus making them to be virtual slaves within the banking sector as six months ago, Eco Bank laid off over a thousand casual staff;

“The practice of casualization of staff is causing a rise in fraud rate perpetrated by staff and also psychological trauma among those set of staff to the extent that a contract staff committed suicide in 2010 when he was retrenched by WEMA Bank without any compensation and in another incidence few days ago, during a robbery attack in Ekiti State on Thursday November 21, 2019, the Police explained how a CCTV footage exposed a bank staff involved in the robbery operation.”

The House, therefore, mandated the Committee on Banking and Currency to interface with commercial banks on the need to stop casualization of their core operational staff and also mandated the Committee on Legislative Compliance to ensure compliance.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2019/12/04/reps-want-cbn-to-sanction-banks-casualizing-staff/amp/
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Spechialone(f): 7:22am On Dec 05, 2019
Guiness contract staff comes to mind.

Modified:
Has there ever been a conversion of casual( contract) staff to full staff @ Guiness?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by don4real18(m): 7:25am On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
It is not by force to permanent a worker, we have casual workers all over the world, to permanent a worker is entirely the choice of the employee, they consider many things before doing that, like your dedication to work, ability to upsale, and even the amount of income generated by the establishment etc.
Not up to 90%... The Nigerian banking sector is abusing it
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Mayflowa(m): 7:30am On Dec 05, 2019
Flexherbal:

This is true.

But do not forget that some of the workers may lose their jobs, if the banks are forced to employ their casual staff as permanent. They sure know how to cut cost.

Even the government use casual staff to teach in schools, these days.

They probably should set a percentage limit on the casual worker banks can have like maximum of 30% of casual staff and ask them to provide the data in their annual report. Many bank will then pride themselves on their level of employing permanent workers. Nigerians can also patronize banks employing high percentage of permanent workers. The issue of casual staff emanated from the bank and has crept into other sector. This need to be addressed before it leads to enslavement of working youths. Elsewhere, minimum wage per hour is regulated and considered criminal offense to pay worker less. So this is a good policy to drive the wheel of the UN sustainable development goals.

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by nigeriagospel(m): 7:39am On Dec 05, 2019
Spechialone:
Guiness contract staff comes to mind
my guy those guys are slaves especially the sorters and other department, I worked at Ikeja branch as a forklift operator, how is ibro, deji and co

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by greenguy: 7:42am On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:

In case you don't know, yes, it is compulsory you permanent your core staff after an agreed probation and that is what obtains all over the world. The problem is that we abuse everything in Nigeria and because everyone is looking for an opportunity to cheat the next man, we'll keep going in circles of fraud and corruption in the corporate sector until this is addressed.

You pretend you don't know this problem is endemic in Nigeria or you don't have close friends and family who have been wailing from this tormenting trend whether in the banking sector, energy sector, construction etc but will keep complaining the country isn't moving forward when a simple information about events around you you don't know.

Receive sense.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by damosade(m): 7:44am On Dec 05, 2019
As at last week Friday, I was a contract staff in one of the first biggest bank as a Marketing Associate,
My job functions includes;relationship management, monitoring over 120 pos terminals, credit analysis and credit memo processing, booking of loans and overdrafts, accounts opening. Etc
Basically doing what the full manager of a bank should do. Since Monday, they have been calling me from the office to tell them ho I was able to handle all at a time, I did not even pick the call.
They should go and learn in a hard way as I channel my strength into something profitable to myself.

8 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Oluwabusayo1994: 8:05am On Dec 05, 2019
The bank CEOs must of them are thiefs that share percentage of the profit without giving 10 kobo to the low level staff. It is so sad in Naija.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by nuesmann(m): 8:09am On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
you be mumu

5 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by laborious(m): 8:10am On Dec 05, 2019
I think their children are working in those banks as casual staff..
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by ojojameso(m): 8:16am On Dec 05, 2019
please rep look into NNPC especial the refinery. we have casuals who have worked more than 15 years and they are still casual till today.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by goshen26: 8:25am On Dec 05, 2019
Noblejay7:
They need to amend our labour laws to stipulate a maximum period of two years for contract employment after which the employee should be converted to full staff.

You don't know these banks sha, b4 two years they will implicate and sack you

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Kingadesther: 8:28am On Dec 05, 2019
Most of this nairalanders and Nigerians dont really know what is going on in this country, imagine this exposed explanation someone is mention that there are casual staff in other country, is this how the casual staff in other country are been treated, It high time we stop all this sentiment and face the reality, this attitude of e no concern me we are all doing in this aspect of the world we not only suffer from it but our children- childrens wii also.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Kingadesther: 8:30am On Dec 05, 2019
Kingadesther:
Most of this nairalanders and Nigerians dont really know what is going on in this country, imagine this exposed explanation someone is mention that there are casual staff in other country, is this how the casual staff in other country are been treated, It high time we stop all this sentiment and face the reality, this attitude of e no concern me we are all doing in this aspect of the world we not only suffer from it but our children- childrens wii also.

Freestainworld:
It is not by force to permanent a worker, we have casual workers all over the world, to permanent a worker is entirely the choice of the employee, they consider many things before doing that, like your dedication to work, ability to upsale, and even the amount of income generated by the establishment
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by elega(f): 8:46am On Dec 05, 2019
damosade:
As at last week Friday, I was a contract staff in one of the first biggest bank as a Marketing Associate,
My job functions includes;relationship management, monitoring over 120 pos terminals, credit analysis and credit memo processing, booking of loans and overdrafts, accounts opening. Etc
Basically doing what the full manager of a bank should do. Since Monday, they have been calling me from the office to tell them ho I was able to handle all at a time, I did not even pick the call.
They should go and learn in a hard way as I channel my strength into something profitable to myself.

Blackclyeon did us strong thing. But God will open better ways for us.

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by LyfeJennings(m): 8:50am On Dec 05, 2019
I SUPPORT THAT
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by grandstar(m): 8:50am On Dec 05, 2019
The system is unfair bit if truth be told, the casualisation of workers isn't the problem but a symptom.

The real problem is the high unemployment and underemployment rates. It is an employers market. The banks can pick and choose and dump likewise. You can be replaced the next minute.

It is estimated that 4 in every 10 Nigerians is either unemployed or underemployed. With the economy estimated to grow by 2.5% per year over the next 4 years, rather than the 7% needed to provide enough jobs to cater to those entering the labour force each year, expect things to get worse before they get better.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by ise82(m): 9:11am On Dec 05, 2019
jahsharon:

This guy should be brought to the market square and flocked 100 strokes of koboko everyday for 100 days. He is possessed by evil spirits and only flogging drives out demons.

Don’t mind the useless Aboki. He nids brain surgery to be able to think properly. He is one of the fools that made us to be like this. Youths in Naija are so dumb that they take shit as norm. Suffering n smiling folks.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Talkingoil(m): 9:20am On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
Oga this your English get as e be o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Teachers Demoted To Security Guards In Cross River / What You Are Doing Now Vs What You Would Have Loved To Do. / How Do You Handle An Angry Boss Lady?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.