Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,286 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff (15431 Views)

CBN Staff: We Are Living In Fear Of Sack / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by seniormallam(m): 9:22am On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
It is not by force to permanent a worker, we have casual workers all over the world, to permanent a worker is entirely the choice of the employee, they consider many things before doing that, like your dedication to work, ability to upsale, and even the amount of income generated by the establishment etc.
Nothing is considered in Nigeria, if you like be the best staff of the bank, after 6years you'll be thrown out, I've been in that shoe b4.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by nanauju(f): 9:48am On Dec 05, 2019
[quote author=Stehane post=84637241][/quote]

Babygal don't get banned o. Na sense Dem dey use advertise for nairaland
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Wallade(m): 10:17am On Dec 05, 2019
obi58:
Charity they say begins at home.

Why won't banks employ casual staff when jobs are hard to come by in this economy?

When juicy jobs in our civil service and oil sector is mainly done through connections and not merit?

When the economic environment for banks and businesses to survive is highly challenging?

When support for budding entrepreneurs in terms of loans or grants with no collateral is nowhere to be found?

When graduates and skilled workers are striving everyday to travel out in search of a better future?

Let's put the cart before the horse first.

Banks should be commended for being one of the largest sources of employment in this country despite the challenging business environment.

If all these laws are enforced, it would simply mean that many people will be laid off creating more unemployment.

As a responsible and caring bank. Why not employ 60% of your current staff as permanent staff. Let the other 40% go into the labor market with reasonable payoff and stop engaging staff on temporary or casual basis.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Geophilip: 10:26am On Dec 05, 2019
obi58:
Charity they say begins at home.

Why won't banks employ casual staff when jobs are hard to come by in this economy?

When juicy jobs in our civil service and oil sector is mainly done through connections and not merit?

When the economic environment for banks and businesses to survive is highly challenging?

When support for budding entrepreneurs in terms of loans or grants with no collateral is nowhere to be found?

When graduates and skilled workers are striving everyday to travel out in search of a better future?

Let's put the cart before the horse first.

Banks should be commended for being one of the largest sources of employment in this country despite the challenging business environment.

If all these laws are enforced, it would simply mean that many people will be laid off creating more unemployment.

why are you saying this,

they are succeeding because the government create such environment for them...

do you think all this charges bank do charge same way it is done in some country...
taking a loan here is almost impossible, because of collateral and high interest rate and the government is silent about it
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Prophet777: 11:02am On Dec 05, 2019
GTB, Sterling and FCMB are masters when it comes to the casualisation of workers...

No HMO for their outsourced workers, little or no access to loan and poor salary scale.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Godisable777: 12:03pm On Dec 05, 2019
see below
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by ogubolokento(m): 12:12pm On Dec 05, 2019
Not just banks even govt MDA's such as oil and free zone Authority onne and others have casual workers.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by banio: 12:47pm On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
It is not by force to permanent a worker, we have casual workers all over the world, to permanent a worker is entirely the choice of the employee, they consider many things before doing that, like your dedication to work, ability to upsale, and even the amount of income generated by the establishment etc.

You are right. Staffing is not by force, but can be enforced via laws. Also you fail to state that casual workers should earn more than staff.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by pseudaria: 3:57pm On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:

shut up ur stupid mouth my friend, a bank will employ s worker for two yrs, extend it by one year and when it is time to permanent him they sack him just because they don't want to pay increased salary and benefits, this causes trauma to a lot of people who are dedicated workers. stop supporting illegalities just because you are a Nigerian and you've been cursed not to have sense

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Legendguru: 4:50pm On Dec 05, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by dave4rella(m): 6:37pm On Dec 05, 2019
shocked

Such a pity
And someone is busy asking me to come and join union bank

I just dodged it

I hate banking job
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by LuckyLadolce(m): 6:50pm On Dec 05, 2019
Freestainworld:
You have no idea how outsourcing/contracting staff in banking sector works. mentioning dedication to work, ability to upsale and revenue generated in your comment shows you have no knowledge whatsoever about what's happening in the system.

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Origin(f): 7:07pm On Dec 05, 2019
Sanction all companies that do it.

Stop the intellectual slavery.....

Or else make every one including CEO casual staff!
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by prof12(m): 5:43am On Dec 06, 2019
slimjohn2k5:
What about those already terminated

At least something is been started.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by edoairways: 2:23pm On Dec 08, 2019
slimjohn2k5:
What about those already terminated
Someone making sense here
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by edoairways: 2:25pm On Dec 08, 2019
Noblejay7:
They need to amend our labour laws to stipulate a maximum period of two years for contract employment after which the employee should be converted to full staff.
Good one
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Oktane: 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2019
The house of reps is idle.

So many things require prior attention.

Why not pressurise the executive to focus on expanding and deepening our economy such that more opportunities will rise therefrom and we can thus change the dynamics.

Casualisation cannot be stopped by promulgation or an act of parliament. Providing more opportunities and thus alternatives will discourage this phenomenon.

High performers who are still casual stuff will then have take advantage of other opportunities until the the employer realizes that very good staff are difficult to come by and even more difficult to retain.

In the meantime, the banks are doing a great job hiring these contract operators. They could as well decide to ignore them and create a new band of permanent employees filled with SSCE graduands trained to do what these casuals are currently doing and they will still perform creditably.

If you are a casual staff and feel undervalued, then QUIT. Hundreds of people are standing in line to take that job. Complaining while taking the stipend is very cheap and demeaning.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Oktane: 7:26pm On Dec 08, 2019
pseudaria:

shut up ur stupid mouth my friend, a bank will employ s worker for two yrs, extend it by one year and when it is time to permanent him they sack him just because they don't want to pay increased salary and benefits, this causes trauma to a lot of people who are dedicated workers. stop supporting illegalities just because you are a Nigerian and you've been cursed not to have sense

The blame is still on the employee. Once bitten twice shy.

Why not QUIT?
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Oktane: 7:29pm On Dec 08, 2019
banio:

You are right. Staffing is not by force, but can be enforced via laws. Also you fail to state that casual workers should earn more than staff.

They don't have to earn more than staff. In many cases some companies make it worth their while by paying more because they reason that the tenor is short and it also comes without the benefits permanent staff enjoy.

BUT THERE IS NO LAW/RULE that their pay must be higher.

Staffing cannot be enforced by laws....unless there was a prior agreement that has been trounced by the employing party.
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Oktane: 7:30pm On Dec 08, 2019
seniormallam:

Nothing is considered in Nigeria, if you like be the best staff of the bank, after 6years you'll be thrown out, I've been in that shoe b4.

Why did you have to wait for 6 years.

Did you expect your own case to be different afterall?
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by Oktane: 7:38pm On Dec 08, 2019
damosade:
As at last week Friday, I was a contract staff in one of the first biggest bank as a Marketing Associate,
My job functions includes;relationship management, monitoring over 120 pos terminals, credit analysis and credit memo processing, booking of loans and overdrafts, accounts opening. Etc
Basically doing what the full manager of a bank should do. Since Monday, they have been calling me from the office to tell them ho I was able to handle all at a time, I did not even pick the call.
They should go and learn in a hard way as I channel my strength into something profitable to myself.

This could easily pass as the best post on this thread.

Just imagine that more people had the guts to take this route.

Bros I really do commend your resolve. I am also happy about the experience you have gleaned therefrom. It will come in so useful in the future as you expand your horizon..

Kudos to you.

1 Like

Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by fynix1: 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2019
Freestainworld:

Oga, ignorance is not bliss o. When banks are taking advantage of the nation's desperation and unemployment State to enslave young and vibrant youths, you hold your phone to type this?

What is you aim in life?
Re: Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff by banio: 4:39am On Dec 09, 2019
Oktane:

They don't have to earn more than staff. In many cases some companies make it worth their while by paying more because they reason that the tenor is short and it also comes without the benefits permanent staff enjoy.

BUT THERE IS NO LAW/RULE that their pay must be higher.

Staffing cannot be enforced by laws....unless there was a prior agreement that has been trounced by the employing party.

By labour law I think a contract staff shouldn't work more than six month, after which they should be staffed. Fraudulent companies inorder to avoid staffing extend contract every six months. In Nigeria contract staff work in that capacity for years, some even at a point have no contact papers. They just keep working for years

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Teachers Demoted To Security Guards In Cross River / How Do You Handle An Angry Boss Lady? / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.