Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,113 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered (2614 Views)

Who Remembered These? / Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? / Single Mothers Are Generally Losers, They Raise Criminals & Sluts - Kenyan Lad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by mumumugu(m): 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2019
Chris Nwabueze Ndu
This is for men.
I had a chat with a workmate who told me that a man he worked with in another job is old and it appears he lives alone.(I won't mention his nationality for obvious reasons)
His three children now adults don't even check on him.
This man continues to struggle with work with a poor health.
He is struggling but not saying much as to how he arrived at his current situation.
He is not alone in this, there are thousands of Nigerian men who ends up sad lonely old men every year.
You see some of them abandoned by their children and some even their own wives connived with the children to make their father's life miserable in his old age.
How do you think most of them arrived at that unfortunate situation?
Let's discuss.
The average Nigerian man's description of a hard man or a real man is a bully and a brutal dictator.
That's what many father's are.
Monsters barking instructions, beating up their wives, assaulting their children and call it training.
Emotionally detached from their children as they grow.
Mothers becomes the shoulder to cry upon while the father is feared like a terrorist.
Few years later, the monsters you raised will turn against you.
I know some women whose children haven't seen their fathers for years.
Those men are not dead, they are alive in the same country.
Their birthdays come and go, no father to celebrate with.
Other children talk about how their dad's celebrated their birthdays, yours have nothing to say.
Christmas come and go, other children show off gifts and stuff their fathers bought for them, yours have nothing to say.
No card, No calls, no show.
On father's day they made cards, waited for you but no show.
Other kids talk about their father's day fun with daddy, yours have no story.
Your children live like fatherless while you are still on earth.
Perhaps in the arms of a strange woman you totally ignored your children.
You won't be young forever.
There will be a day of reckoning.
Age have a way of catching up with humans and then you will wish you can roll back the years.
You will wish you cared, You will wish you played with your children.
You will wish you were the man they will be proud of.
You will wish they have something good to say about you.
No, It will be too late.
You will end up a very sad and lonely old man.
Side chic and all the distractions would have melted away, reality will be dawned on you.
Time to act is now, now or never.
You don't deserve life if you made your own children to live like fatherless children.
Be there for them because you brought them here.
You don't need billions to be a great dad.
Those little things matter so much.
You can be a hard man outside but a shepherd at home.
You can be frightening to strangers but loving and playful with your children.
How can you be a father whose children run away from? You call that discipline? No, The moment the fear of you drives them away from you, you've lost it.
Oh, you say your relationship with the mother is not good that she is a bad woman.
Of course some women are not good enough, that shouldn't be news.
But, Your child or children didn't do anything bad to you, so why punish innocent children because of two adults that can't get along?
Why deny them birthdays, Christmas and other special times in the year because of what you think of their mother?
Why deny them your company they thoroughly deserved?
Have you ever wondered what their conversation with other children would be like?
A good shepherd shouts when he has to and plays with the sheep as well.
Leads from the front and more importantly prepared to lay down his life in defence of the sheep.
You can't even give up ordinary side chic because of your children, how much more laying down your life for them.
Be a true father now and reap the rewards later or risk dying a sad lonely old man surrounded by people but died lonely.
Great day ye all.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Charleys: 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2019
Man no be firewood.
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:05pm On Dec 06, 2019
i blame African society and mentality for that... how can a man have a decent r/ship with his kids when he has to slave away 24/7 while wifey is at home watching Telemundo and having a fantastic r/ship with the kids?!?!?!

as soon as kids are old enough (3yrs old), you BOTH need to work so that daddy can work less and spend MORE time with kids.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by liberalchick(f): 4:30pm On Dec 06, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
i blame African society and mentality for that... how can a man have a decent r/ship with his kids when he has to slave away 24/7 while wifey is at home watching Telemundo and having a fantastic r/ship with the kids?!?!?!

as soon as kids are old enough (3yrs old), you BOTH need to work so that daddy can work less and spend MORE time with kids.

Et tu? You were one of the few good ones left.

Do you really think the bolded is the reality of the family DNA in Nigeria? Since pre-colonial era with most ethnic groups and eventual Nigeria, it was never a norm in our culture for a wife to be a real housewife. It’s actually a stigma to be a real housewife.

OP, I absolutely agree with you. However, it’s changing, the current generation of Nigerian men are actually more hands on than their fathers were. In my circle, the dads are very hands on, they bond with their kids.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Blakjewelry(m): 4:31pm On Dec 06, 2019
many reasons o, but i will have to come back when i am less busy
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by olabrinks(f): 4:52pm On Dec 06, 2019
Or maybe daddy should work smarter and not harder, instead of slaving himself for a job that doesn’t belong to him.
MrBrownJay1:

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2019
liberalchick:

Do you really think the bolded is the reality of the family DNA in Nigeria? Since pre-colonial era with most ethnic groups and eventual Nigeria, it was never a norm in our culture for a wife to be a real housewife. It’s actually a stigma to be a real housewife.

OP, I absolutely agree with you. However, it’s changing, the current generation of Nigerian men are actually more hands on than their fathers were. In my circle, the dads are very hands on, they bond with their kids.

sista, we can only be honest on this issue in order to possibly have a chance to solve it... in Nigeria/Africa, a man is "solely" viewed as a breadwinner, the one that goes to work and slave away, while women are seen as the cook/cleaner and womb attendant. who are we kidding? so mummy stays home all day while daddy is no where to be found raising these kids, how can he be on the same level as mummy, regarding the bond she has with these kids?

you cant be absent in these kids life and expect to be viewed just as "gloriously" (let alone have the same emotional bond) as the one who spends most of the time with them.

olabrinks:
Or maybe daddy should work smarter and not harder, instead of slaving himself for a job that doesn’t belong to him.

true but that aint "that" easy to achieve... it takes time and energy to put a biz on the right track so you dont have to be there physically... and unless daddy works from home, he cant possibly see his kids as often as he should.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by olabrinks(f): 4:58pm On Dec 06, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

sista, we can only be honest on this issue in order to possibly have a chance to solve it... in Nigeria/Africa, a man is "solely" viewed as a breadwinner, the one that goes to work and slave away, while women are seen as the cook/cleaner and womb attendant. who are we kidding? so mummy stays home all day while daddy is no where to be found raising these kids, how can he be on the same level as mummy, regarding the bond she has with these kids?

you cant be absent in these kids life and expect to be viewed just as "gloriously" as the one who spends most of the time with them.

true but that aint "that" easy to achieve... it takes time and energy to put a biz on the right track so you dont have to be there physically... and unless daddy works from home, he cant possibly see his kids as often as he should.
nothing in life is easy. But in everything you must find a balance.
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2019
olabrinks:
nothing in life is easy. But in everything you must find a balance.

in a proper society, possibly, but the family setup in Nigeria/Africa is bent from the get go, and can never find a balance. unless a wife is ready and willing to go to work as soon as kids are going to kindergarden, the family setup in Nigeria/Africa will always be unfair. you have two able-bodied adults here, but sadly one will be slaving away while the other would stay home for no damn reason, doing absolutely NOTHING (especially when housegirl/boy are around). i dont understand this mindset, but sadly it is perfectly normal in Nigerian/African society.

the important balance we really need to figure out IS: is it better to work 24/7 for your family so that down the line you wont even get the proper value/respect/love that you deserve?

let us all also remember....wifey stays home while daddy works all day, then he gets home, he is dead tired while mummy is fresh and ready/willing to do fun stuff.... so daddy and mummy are out of synch, and start to grow apart.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 06, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

What exactly are you talking about?! Just because your mum was home watching Telemundo all day, doesn't mean all mums do. Are you blind to do women on the streets hawking under the scorching sun all day, women who are into businesses (small or big), trying to support their families. We live in a world where women are doctors and lawyers, engineers and teachers etc.

So get the f out of here!

21 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by crackhaus: 5:32pm On Dec 06, 2019
mumumugu:

He is not alone in this, there are thousands of Nigerian men who ends up sad lonely old men every year.
Assuming this was even an accurate statistic, Chris Nwabueze Ndu should have also provided a statistic of how many men in this group actually complained to him.
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 06, 2019
liberalchick:

Don't mind him. African women are the most hardworking women I know. Period!

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:34pm On Dec 06, 2019
fieryy:
What exactly are you talking about?! Just because your mum was home watching Telemundo all day, doesn't mean all mums do. Are you blind to do women on the streets hawking under the scorching sun all day, women who are into businesses (small or big), trying to support their families. We live in a world where women are doctors and lawyers, engineers and teachers etc.

thank you, have a wonderful day!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by cococandy(f): 5:37pm On Dec 06, 2019
@bold: no kidding.

Is that what you actually experienced in an honest analysis of families around you?
MrBrownJay1:

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by cococandy(f): 5:39pm On Dec 06, 2019
This is an absolute falsehood.
Don’t join the ranks of those who speak lies with confidence.

MrBrownJay1:

in a proper society, possibly, but the family setup in Nigeria/Africa is bent from the get go, and can never find a balance. unless a wife is ready and willing to go to work as soon as kids are going to kindergarden, the family setup in Nigeria/Africa will always be unfair. you have two able-bodied adults here, but sadly one will be slaving away while the other would stay home for no damn reason, doing absolutely NOTHING (especially when housegirl/boy are around). i dont understand this mindset, but sadly it is perfectly normal in Nigerian/African society.

the important balance we really need to figure out IS: is it better to work 24/7 for your family so that down the line you wont even get the proper value/respect/love that you deserve?

let us all also remember....wifey stays home while daddy works all day, then he gets home, he is dead tired while mummy is fresh and ready/willing to do fun stuff.... so daddy and mummy are out of synch, and start to grow apart.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 06, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

thank you, have a wonderful day!

Definitely will and next time, think before you post undecided

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by DanDeeBoss(m): 5:43pm On Dec 06, 2019
The reason why I wasn't really bonded to my dad is 'Harsh discipline I received from him( no nonsense man)' that alone made me forget the fact that he paid our fees and supports the family

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:43pm On Dec 06, 2019
cococandy:
@bold: no kidding.

Is that what you actually experienced in an honest analysis of families around you?

yes sista, thats my honest analysis of family in Nigeria/Africa... sadly you people are blinded by the fact that its MBJ (a man) who says such, while we all know that part of the blame is these same Nigerian/African men who dont allow/want their wives to get a job (to begin with), thanks to their misplaced ego.
again, we have to be honest here. majority of women are NOT desperate for marriage because they want to be on equal ground with hubby, they want marriage so they can become what the Nigerian/African society believes she is.....AKA a cook/cleaner/womb attendant.

cococandy:
This is an absolute falsehood.
Don’t join the ranks of those who speak lies with confidence.

how can you call MY opinion a lie?!?!?! call it a wrong opinion, if you may, but a lie?! nah!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by cococandy(f): 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2019
But this topic is over-hashed.Over and out. Threads are littered in this section all focused on the same issue.

Any man who hasn’t learned by now that work and life balance is important cannot be helped.

as we always preach to working moms to have a job that enables them take care of their families. Same should be for dads.

Honestly these things shouldn’t even have to be said in the first place. If you’re having children and not planning on being emotionally available to them. What’s the plan?

mumumugu:
Chris Nwabueze Ndu
This is for men.
I had a chat with a workmate who told me that a man he worked with in another job is old and it appears he lives alone.(I won't mention his nationality for obvious reasons)
His three children now adults don't even check on him.
This man continues to struggle with work with a poor health.
He is struggling but not saying much as to how he arrived at his current situation.
You see some of them abandoned by their children and some even their own wives connived with the children to make their father's life miserable in his old age.
How do you think most of them arrived at that unfortunate situation?
Let's discuss.
The average Nigerian man's description of a hard man or a real man is a bully and a brutal dictator.
That's what many father's are.
Monsters barking instructions, beating up their wives, assaulting their children and call it training.
Emotionally detached from their children as they grow.
Mothers becomes the shoulder to cry upon while the father is feared like a terrorist.
Few years later, the monsters you raised will turn against you.
I know some women whose children haven't seen their fathers for years.
Those men are not dead, they are alive in the same country.
Their birthdays come and go, no father to celebrate with.
Other children talk about how their dad's celebrated their birthdays, yours have nothing to say.
Christmas come and go, other children show off gifts and stuff their fathers bought for them, yours have nothing to say.
No card, No calls, no show.
On father's day they made cards, waited for you but no show.
Other kids talk about their father's day fun with daddy, yours have no story.
Your children live like fatherless while you are still on earth.
Perhaps in the arms of a strange woman you totally ignored your children.
You won't be young forever.
There will be a day of reckoning.
Age have a way of catching up with humans and then you will wish you can roll back the years.
You will wish you cared, You will wish you played with your children.
You will wish you were the man they will be proud of.
You will wish they have something good to say about you.
No, It will be too late.
You will end up a very sad and lonely old man.
Side chic and all the distractions would have melted away, reality will be dawned on you.
Time to act is now, now or never.
You don't deserve life if you made your own children to live like fatherless children.
Be there for them because you brought them here.
You don't need billions to be a great dad.
Those little things matter so much.
You can be a hard man outside but a shepherd at home.
You can be frightening to strangers but loving and playful with your children.
How can you be a father whose children run away from? You call that discipline? No, The moment the fear of you drives them away from you, you've lost it.
Oh, you say your relationship with the mother is not good that she is a bad woman.
Of course some women are not good enough, that shouldn't be news.
But, Your child or children didn't do anything bad to you, so why punish innocent children because of two adults that can't get along?
Why deny them birthdays, Christmas and other special times in the year because of what you think of their mother?
Why deny them your company they thoroughly deserved?
Have you ever wondered what their conversation with other children would be like?
A good shepherd shouts when he has to and plays with the sheep as well.
Leads from the front and more importantly prepared to lay down his life in defence of the sheep.
You can't even give up ordinary side chic because of your children, how much more laying down your life for them.
Be a true father now and reap the rewards later or risk dying a sad lonely old man surrounded by people but died lonely.
Great day ye all.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by liberalchick(f): 5:48pm On Dec 06, 2019
fieryy:

Don't mind him. African women are the most hardworking women I know. Period!
That’s why I was surprised at his post, I’ve always known him to be objective most of the time.

Nigeria’s form of patriarchy is unique in the sense that women are expected to take up traditional roles while not being a ‘liability’ and this has been true even before organized labor.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by cococandy(f): 5:48pm On Dec 06, 2019
Well your opinion and experience is not a hard fact. So let’s just call it your opinion. And please do preface with “this is my opinion “ that way we don’t get confused thinking you’re speaking statistically. That’s what happened initially in my response to you.

Maybe culture matters.In my neck of the woods, women toiled and still do to contribute financially to the homes. Telemundo? Many of them will ask you what is that.

And that’s not even to say the woman who’s a cook and womb attendant and all that stuff is not working hard enough already. They still do all that in addition to bringing money home.

MrBrownJay1:

yes sista, thats my honest analysis of family in Nigeria/Africa... sadly you people are blinded by the fact that its MBJ (a man) who says such, while we all know that part of the blame is these same Nigerian/African men who dont allow/want their wives to get a job (to begin with), thanks to their misplaced ego.
again, we have to be honest here. majority of women are NOT desperate for marriage because they want to be on equal ground with hubby, they want marriage so they can become what the Nigerian/African society believes she is.....AKA a cook/cleaner/womb attendant.

how can you call MY opinion a lie?!?!?! call it a wrong opinion, if you may, but a lie?! nah!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 06, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
The reason why I wasn't really bonded to my dad is 'Harsh discipline I received from him( no nonsense man)' that alone made me forget the fact that he paid our fees and supports the family
Well, you don't expect him to spare the rod and spoil the child. Someone needs to instill proper home training in kids.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by liberalchick(f): 5:52pm On Dec 06, 2019
fieryy:

Exactly! Yet these women still find time and space for emotional bonding with their kids. The thing is in our culture is not manly to be emotional, so that aspect of child rearing is outsourced to the mother.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:54pm On Dec 06, 2019
cococandy:
Well your opinion and experience is not a hard fact. So let’s just call it your opinion. Maybe culture matters.

In my neck of the woods, women toiled and still do to contribute financially to the homes. Telemundo? Many of them will ask you what is that.

And that’s not even to say the woman who’s a cook and womb attendant and all that stuff is not working hard enough already. They still do all that in addition to bringing money home.

ok you brought some valid points to the table, but let me ask you a few questions:
- do you believe Nigerian/African society view men and women EQUALLY in marriage?
- even if/when some mamas have jobs, who does that same society believe should raise the kids?
- it is all a problem of culture, what other reason you have for it to be that way in Nigeria/Africa?
- if it aint a Nigerian/African society issue, then what do you think is the main problem here?
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by DanDeeBoss(m): 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Well, you don't expect him to spare the rod and spoil the child. Someone needs to instill proper home training in kids.
Yeah...Then, I and my siblings thought he was being wicked
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by ireneidiva(f): 5:57pm On Dec 06, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

Where did you crawl out from? In this 2019? Watching telemudo at home? So all the female bankers, school teachers, engineers etc stay at home all day and watch TV? Interesting. Very interesting.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by olabrinks(f): 6:00pm On Dec 06, 2019
What do you mean doing absolutely nothing? This is the problem I have with a lot of men, totally disregarding the work it takes to be a full time stay at home mum. Who is going to cook? Who is going to clean? Who is going to pick the kids from school? Who is going to bath the children? Who is going to feed those kids, makes sure they do their homework and go to bed on time? What do you mean doing absolutely nothing? Even if there’s a houseboy/house girl, do you know the work that it takes to raise up a child? It takes a village to raise a child, even more strenuous than the so called job you are going to everyday. Fine, if you believe women should go out to work to make the mans job easier and more convenient, just please ensure the man is also doing the equal amounts of house chores and things around the house to keep the duties balanced. But when it comes to stay at home wives, do not discredit them.
MrBrownJay1:

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:02pm On Dec 06, 2019
ireneidiva:

Where did you crawl out from? In this 2019? Watching telemudo at home? So all the female bankers, school teachers, engineers etc stay at home all day and watch TV? Interesting. Very interesting.

here is a simple clue: if you tell anyone you are married with children and unemployed, most wouldnt bat an eyelid.... now if you say the same as a man, people would insult the bejesus out of you. so yes, many married women out there with children have jobs (and thats great) but thats is not a NECESSITY placed upon them in marriage, while it is for MEN from day one, whether with or without kids.
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 06, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Yeah...Then, I and my siblings thought he was being wicked
He was simply performing his fatherly duty smiley
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by DanDeeBoss(m): 6:05pm On Dec 06, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
He was simply performing his fatherly duty smiley
smileysmiley
Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by bukatyne(f): 6:06pm On Dec 06, 2019
liberalchick:

Thank God.

I always say this yet peeps are like the current generation of fathers and husbands are worse.

I think Nigerian fathers and husbands have greatly improved. The fathers around me try to be emotionally available for their kids and I am sure they will reap the benefits.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 06, 2019
liberalchick:

That’s why I was surprised at his post, I’ve always known him to be objective most of the time.

Nigeria’s form of patriarchy is unique in the sense that women are expected to take up traditional roles while not being a ‘liability’ and this has been true even before organized labor.

His post made me so angry, to be honest. A lot of us grew up in households were our mums went to work AND still came back to do all the cooking and washing and co.

You just have to walk through the streets of Nigeria, go to market etc, everywhere is full of hardworking women. From the women preparing swallow on the streets (I mean, have you seen those BIIIIG pots?! ), to those frying and selling akara and co. Those who despite being pregnant or sometimes are carrying a child on their backs, still are hawking, just to provide for the family.
These are small businesses, but they are still businesses!

His post is an insult to all the mums, who despite having a hard day at work, go home to cater to their young ones and do all the house chores (because we know the man is going to do nothing!)

How many of us, when asked what does your mum do for a living, reply with "Oh, she is a housewife, who watches Telemundo all day"

Don't be surprised if his mum sweated to get him where he is today, yet all he has to say is "Most Nigerian women are lazy, dadadada".

He talks about how some men don't even want their wives to work, but is ignorant to the fact that the average Nigerian man CAN NOT feed his family based on his salary alone.

14 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re-preciousgirl: She Came Here With her issue And You Guys Start Insulting / Man Sues His Children For Peeping While Making Love With Their Mother / Best wedding pics and video. Natural

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.