Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,030 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group (43457 Views)

Gov Fubara Receives Wike's Royal Father, Eze Oha Apara Kingdom On Solidarity Vis / Wike, Sanwoolu And Makinde Conferred With Honorary Doctorate Degrees (Photos) / Chisom Promise Dike Rejects Wike’s SUV Gift, Asks Governor To Repair Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2019
pazienza:

Well naturally I don't like discussing Igbo issues with non Igbos, because it's usually pointless, but I make exceptions to this your post, so I'm going to reply you.

First and foremost, you will find out that the Anioma sentiment and identity is only strong in Enu-ani region, the Ika and Ukwuani are more interested in being independent of both Igbo and Anioma, and amongst the Ukwuani, there is also now a rejection of the Ukwuani tag, as those from Ndokwa East are claiming not to be Ukwuani but instead insist their ethnic group is "Ndiosumili".
So it's a confusion state in Ika and Ukwuani.

But the Enu-ani, who are the ones most Igbos in South East are interested in are overwhelming pro Igbo.
The Asagba of Asaba is a patron of Ohanaeze Ndiigbo and the late Ide Asaba, Achuzia was a two time secretary of the organization. The Igbo identity is pretty strong in Enuani and by no way 25% like you try to portray. It's more like 60% pro Igbo, 20% anti Igbo and 20% neutral.
The likes of Lauretta Onochie fall into the 20% Igbophobic.

Yes you are very correct. Ndokwa east (Ndosimili people) are not Ukwuanis.

Actually I have asked some Igbophobic Ikas & Ukwanis on the Anioma matter. You are not too correct in the sense that these people actually love a joint Anioma identity, but they are afraid that it is a pro-Igbo identity and it will further drag them towards being Igbo. Besides this, they have no problem with being Anioma.

Some of these Igbophobic Ikas & Ukwanis even reject the DELTA IGBO tag and to be honest, this is the identity with which most Edo & Deltans from other tribes tag them and most of them normally accept it.

Pls for the records, I never said Pro Igbos are 25% in Enuani. I said 25% in Anioma as a whole.
Of course Enuanis are predominantly pro Igbo. Especially Igbuzor, Okpanam & Ogwashi-Uku.
The first time I went to Ogwash, it felt like I was in the SE. A very close friend and church member of mine was from Igbuzor and men, this guy was even more Igbotic than our pastor who was from Imo state grin.
Anti Igbos are like 20-25% in Enuani. However, I think the 80% pro Igbo in Enuani is divided into 2 categories. The active pro-Igbos and the passive pro-Igbos.
The active pro-Igbos are the Igbuzors, Ogwash, Okpanam and parts of Asaba, e.t.c. You can hardly differentiate these ones from the Igbos in the SE grin. They are pro Igbo and Igbotic to the core. Most of them don't even give you the 'Delta-Igbo bullshit'. Ask them their tribe and they tell you IGBO!
The passive pro-Igbos in Enuani have some sort of inferiority or maybe that is just the way they are, I don't know. They accept being Igbo, but they hardly want to speak Igbo in public and with people from the SE. They do not openly flaunt their Igboness with pride unlike the active pro-Igbos.

This is just the same way you have the active anti-Igbos and passive anti-Igbos among Ikas, Ndokwas and even Enuani.

The passive anti-Igbos reject Igbo identity but they do not do it with hatred, bitterness and anger. They acknowledge kinship and relationship with Igbos, but they will emphasize the differences. If you can talk enough sense into these ones and explain to them why they should be Igbo, they could accept passively.

While the active anti-Igbos are the ones who show serious hatred towards Igbo identity and would not mind insulting and fighting over it. These ones do not mind rewriting history to show how Bini they are grin

Anioma people are just very funny to me. The worst part is that even within the same Anioma family, you find the different categories.

You can find an Anioma family where the father is passively pro Igbo, the mother is actively anti-Igbo because she had a quarrel with an Igbo woman or an Igbo woman tried to snatch her husband grin. The son actively pro-Igbo cos he learnt their history online and is more aware, while the daughters are not even interested in the topic of being Igbo or not and do not care.

This is why it is wrong for you to say you Igbos are only interested in Enuani because all Aniomas are interrelated and intertwined by history, culture and everything.
You cannot really divide them based on pro-Igbo and anti-Igboness. There are Ika & Ndokwa people who are very much pro Igbo and ready to die for the Igbo nation. What do you do about them? Osita Mordi my beloved friend is one of them.
To the Anioma people themselves, most of them do not even see this 'being Igbo or not topic' as a big issue, cos they know they are one family irrespective of their opinions. It is more of an issue to the SE people grin and I very much understand why.

This is somehow the same way Hausa-fulanis try to divide middlebelt and northern minority tribes based on religion, it doesn't work in most cases cos many of these tribes are 50/50 and intertwined. They now end up calling these tribal muslims fake muslims because these ones love their cultures and cannot kill for islam or practice sharia law grin.

For me, I think Anioma leaders, stakeholders and traditional leaders should come together once and for all and decide what they want to be in order to end all these to and fro arguments and divisions.
Isokos did it and rejected Urhobo identity and Urhobos accept it today and identify them separately, same thing with Itsekiris and Yoruba.

I will never forget the time when a list of all the students in my level and facculty was posted on the notice board and people were identified with their ethnic languages, oboy, come and see identity crisis among Aniomas!!
You will see people from the same LGA, yet some will say they are Igbo, some Ndokwa, some Ukwani, some Kwale, some Ika, some Agbor and many other appellations. I mean, what kind of embarrassment is this?

Cc midnighter

6 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 1:42pm On Dec 09, 2019
midnighter:

The English people who went to America originally have descendants there now who still claim their English heritage several generations back.

In fact they make sure that their children marry from particular families so that they will keep their bloodline.

Wow, are you sure about your 2nd paragraph? I never knew any white Americans could take this ancestry thing that serious!
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by oyatz(m): 1:44pm On Dec 09, 2019
What arrant display of arrogance and ignorance!

What if it's the Igbos that copied them from Ikwerres?

No language is inferior to another and no tribe has an exclusive let alone copyright over anyword or language.

You speak your language in YOUR OWN ways and you are asking the Ikwerres to speak their language exactly like you? Are you their God?

Who gave you such authority? Who told you your own spelling is the original?

How did you arrogate to yourselves the power to determine which language comes first and which one is fake and which one is original?

Ikwerres have it's own different dialects and you are insisting Ikwerre must be a dialect of Igbo?

Similarities in language in most cases simply shows a common descent e.g both Igbos and Ikwerre languages evolved from the same sources NOT necessarily that Ikwerre language emerged from Igbo.

If Igbos say Olisa, Ika say Oliseh, Binis say Oosa, Itshekiri say Oritse and Yoruba say Orisha. Who are you to say one is a bastardized form of the other?

Halexgos3:

You are right bro. At least Igbos bear chukwu ebuka , Emeka but ikweres will want to copy that same name but in different styles something like Emeka for Emeke Chima for chinman. Those names are fakes

2 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2019
BULLIONVAN4:
Imagine a case whereby someone bearing "ifeanyi okocha" is convicted of crime, will you say he is Igbo or Anioma??(assuming his state/Lga of origin was not mentioned)

Hahaha, is this not the same way anybody in Nigeria answering Mustapha Yusuf Danjuma is seen as a Hausa? Meanwhile that person could be Kanuri, Jukun, Nupe, Bura or even from tribes like Igala, Ebira and even Yorubas who have no relationship whatsoever with Hausa.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 1:57pm On Dec 09, 2019
CSTR2:
I learnt today that mercy chinwo is ikwerre.
I was surprised. I was thinking anambra or abia.

That lady is more fluent and Igbo conscious than most Igbo ladies from Enugu state.

My brother, Ikwerre people are even more Igbotic than Anioma people from my experience.
When we were in camp, in my room, the Ikwerres there spoke to themselves exclusively in Igbo and were loud and unapologetic about it, while the Igbos and Aniomas there were speaking pidgin.

2 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by oyatz(m): 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2019
You are free to say whatever you like.

They are your opinions and NOT necessarily facts.

Osagyefo98:

I won't call you gossip because I hate to see men gossiping.

Women be are understandable but men...No

If I follow your logic which I don't want to I will clearly say Ondo state can't be even at 10 percent called a yoruba State.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 2:22pm On Dec 09, 2019
pazienza:
Now, let's get something clear.

No well Igbo cares about Ikwerre. The only reason Igbos care about Ikwerre is the Igbo language they are mutilating.

If the Ikwerre can do the needful and revert back to their Bini language and start bearing Bini names, no Igbo would care anymore.

The ball is in Ikwerre court. Stop mutilating the Igbo language and return to your Bini language.

Show group esteem that your inferiority complex suffering Bini ancestors couldn't exhibit when they abandoned your Bini language for Igbo one, even without being colonized by Igbos.

Are you not ashamed that without the very Igbos you hate, you will have no language of your own? You are not ashamed of shamelessly copying and ridiculously trying to mask another man language as yours via re editing the language by addition and removal of consonants?

Lol... I understand your pain and it's funny to me, but things like this have come to stay all over the world grin
It pains many Hausa fulanis that Southern Kaduna and Plateau people hate them, yet they speak their Hausa language fluently as a lingua franca.

Urdu (Hindustani) is the national language of Pakistan, this language originates in India among ancient Hindus, yet Pakistanis take pride in it and at the same time, hate Hindus and hate India and many of them claim to be of Arab-Persian origin.....
They write Urdu in Arabic script and put in many Arabic words to make it as different from Hindi as possible, but a tiger can never change it's stripes grin Hindi and Urdu is still one inseparable language.

The only difference between Pakis and Ikwerres is that Pakistan took their anti-Hindi to the next level by trying to introduce Arabic as a national language in Pakistan by bringing in lots of Arabic teachers and scholars from the middle-east, but it was a massive failure!
A monkey cannot be forced to be a dog.

So maybe Ikwerres will try the experiment with Bini language if they have their own country or autonomy. grin
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 2:24pm On Dec 09, 2019
Halexgos3:

You are right bro. At least Igbos bear chukwu ebuka , Emeka but ikweres will want to copy that same name but in different styles something like Emeka for Emeke Chima for chinman. Those names are fakes

Aniomas are the ones who actually answer EMEKE, not Ikwerres. And in the case of Aniomas, I don't think it's fake. It's their dialect.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

Wow, are you sure about your 2nd paragraph? I never knew any white Americans could take this ancestry thing that serious!

I'm not referring to the vast majority. I meant very old, wealthy families

And it's not restricted to just English heritage, but marrying out must be justified. Just like the elites we have in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

Aniomas are the ones who actually answer EMEKE, not Ikwerres. And in the case of Aniomas, I don't think it's fake. It's their dialect.

Your logic and sampling is skewed based on your interactions with few which I always summarize as lies.

Even in kwale they answer Emeke, Emeka, Chukwuemeka...Ugochukwu, Orji.., onyekachukwu...

All are still their names.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2019
oyatz:
Sweet heart, different strokes for different folks. The histories, political evolutions and worldviews of different tribes are different, so what they take to be important will also be different.
It seems Igbos need more populations/lands through irredentism, Hausa-Fulani have gained this large population through a complex mix of cultural assimilation, religion and conquests.

The Yorubas have coalesced into a single formidable group through trade and Empire building.

Before British colonialism, the Igbos didn't build centralized large States. Their level of political organization didn't go beyond the village level. Each village operated independently of the other.

The Hausa-Fulani and the Yorubas on the other had pre-colonial Empires, City States, large kingdoms and Confederations of small States which brought most of their people under centralized political authorities and promoting a sense of nationalism.

1) There are several Nigerian languages that have gone into extinction especially in the North. E.g Tangale and Ajawa languages in Bauchi State, Gamo- Nungi in Bauchi State, Bassa-Gumma in Nigeria Start. These people switched to Hausa Language but it doesn't mean the people disappeared.

2) All over the world new tribes emerged from previously existing tribes.
E.g Seminole tribe of Florida= Native American Muscogees+ Black skaves.

Aja People of Benin Republic= Yoruba+ Fon/Ewe

Ikwerre= Igbo+ Ijaw+ Bini

Itshekiri= Yoruba+ Edo+ European traders

3) We need to do away with the use of ethnic groups as a mean of climbing the social ladder in Nigieria. People should be judged by their individual attributes instead of tribal affiliation.

Lol.... Bro take am easy with your number 1.

Yes, many languages have gone extinct to Hausa while many more are on the verge of going extinct, however TANGALE is not one of them.
All Tangale people speak Hausa as a 2nd language, but most of them still speak their native language...

Bauchi is the place where the strongest hausanization took place because most of them converted to islam. More than 50 languages have been lost in Bauchi over the years.

Tangale people in Gombe are predominantly christians and are the 2nd largest tribe in the state.

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by OgaBuhari: 2:49pm On Dec 09, 2019
[s]
midnighter:

I'm not referring to the vast majority. I meant very old, wealthy families

And it's not restricted to just English heritage, but marrying out must be justified. Just like the elites we have in Nigeria
[/s]
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 3:00pm On Dec 09, 2019
HopeAtHand:
Here we go again.

This Ikwerre is/isnt Igbo debate which has been condemned to perpetual arguing online is again tossed on the front burner, courtesy of a traditional title conferred on Wike.

As an Ikwerre, I'd say that there is a close relationship between the Igbo culture/Language and that of the Ikwerres. This is a result of the nature of interaction Ikwerres had with Igbo's and can be divided into the pre-colonial and colonial era.

In pre-colonial era, the interaction is usually attributed to factors chiefly being proximity, the settlement of large number of Aros within Ikwerre villages and communities and to a lesser extent, buying of slaves from Igbo hinterland. Let me at this point inform that Igbo's roughly outnumber Ikwerres 8 to 1. When a relatively smaller ethnicity settled close to a much larger one, they naturally run the risk of losing a good part of their language and culture to the much larger one, especially to a notoriously dominant ethnicity such as the Igbo. Ikwerres found themselves in that situation and continued with life.

Then in the colonial era, the British carved Nigeria into regions and Ikwerre was in Eastern region and Igbo as the major language was used in schools, hospitals, offices and churches and Ikwerres had no option but to learn. To give you an example, gather Igbo's and teach them Hausa in schools and use same language in churches and markets and hospitals for over 40yrs and see if you wouldn't effectively change their lives. The only adjustment th British made fo Ikwerres was introduction of Ikwerre Union Bible Bible in Churches for the Ikwerres to properly understand the word of God.

Now a certain poster Abagworo talked about sincerity in ironing out this Ikwerre/Igbo debate. on that point, I'd say Ikwerres have sincerely and stedfastly stated during colonial times that they aren't Igbo's. The British refused to listen, the British were more interested in cut-and-join administration of people. Yet, we vehemently rejected being called Igbo, we went to Willinks commission on minority ethnicities to present our case and also played actived roles for the formation of COR state. I am stating this for those who claimed Ikwerres were comfortable with being Igbo's before civil war. They can research the net and see how far we have come in our quest for distinct recognition.

We have no particular issues with Igbo's except our desire to be known as Ikwerres which w rightly are. That isn't a bad thing by any means.

We may now share same Language and Culture but our Origins ar different. And the difference In Origin also affect our difference in character as a people.

Please, Igbo's should disabuse thei minds of unnecessary sentiments and move on.

Peace.

cc: Pazienza, Osagyefo98, jimyjames et al.

Wow! This is enlightening.

I am not Igbo, but a middlebelter (I am saying this cos I don't want you to take my question as an Igbo person trying to force Igbo identity on you).

My question is this.
Were you Ikwerres speaking a very distinct language from Igbo language in the past, before you people were influenced by Igbos during precolonial and colonial times?
If yes, please can you show me some proofs on this?

Southern Kaduna & Bauchi people are both neighbours of Hausas. Same precolonial and colonial influence of cut and join was done upon them by the British and today they all speak Hausa (some as a 1st language and others as a 2nd language).

The thing is that even in Bauchi where majority accepted Islam and hausanization was strongest, we can still see the traces of the minority languages. In the interior rural villages, elderly people still speak/spoke these native languages.
The last surviving speaker of Bure language in Bauchi, an old woman I think died a few years ago...

I always heard stories that the people of Birnin Gwari LGA in Kaduna state were originally Gwari people who have now become Hausas. I wasn't sure of this, not until I saw a British colonial record of ethnic groups in Northern Nigeria and it was clearly written by the British that the elders in Birnin Gwari still spoke Gbagyi language as at the 1920s. Then I was fully satisfied.

This is why I am asking you, can we see any form of record or evidence that Ikwerre people were very distinct from Igbos? Thank you.

And please enlighten me more about the COR agitation of minorities in the old Eastern region.

Middlebelt minorities also submitted their request to the Willinks Comission in 1959 for an independent region from the north, but it was heavily ignored. So I am really interested in that of the Eastern minorities. Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 3:18pm On Dec 09, 2019
pazienza:
How exactly can someone compare the Northern minorities who were subjected under the Fulani Caliphate and forced to Use Hausa language , as Hausa was the ligua franca of The Fulani Caliphate in Nigeria with Ndiigbo ? Even most of the minorities in North still have their non Hausa related indigenous languages intact and only use Hausa language as a lingual fraca to communicate with each other.

Ndiigbo were never empire builders, we never at any point ruled over non Igbo speaking neighbors or imposed our language on them. Rather we had to deal with Igala invasion of Igbo groups from the North and Bini invasion Of Igbo groups from the West. We were the ones who had to deal with colonialism attempts of our Monarchical Bini and Igala neighbours, and not the other way round.

The Ikwerre claim the Igbo imposed the Igbo language they currently speak through colonialism during the Eastern region that lasted from 1938-1966, and was ruled by Igbos between 1960-66( just 6years), yet there are many documented colonial archives that shows that Ikwerre were already speaking the current Igbo language they speak when the first white man arrived Nigeria.

Moreover, Ikwerre are not the only minority groups surrounding Ndiigbo. We have native Igala, Kele and Idoma speakers within South East as we speak, Ndiigbo couldn't make them(just few villages) to abandon their Languages for Igbo language, how then could we have done that to Ikwerre with hundreds of villages, and all this without colonizing them? Not even the most powerful empire in modern history, the British empire, was able to make indigenous people of Africa, abandon their indigenous languages and adopt English as mother tongue, but the shameless Bini people of Ikwerre are claiming Ndiigbo made them dump Bini language for Igbo language.
English language has been the language of instruction in Nigerian schools since 1914, yet not a single Nigerian group has changed their indigenous language to English and no longer speak their own indigenous language. But this is exactly what the Bini people of Ikwerre are trying to insinuate Ndiigbo did to them. That Ndiigbo used Igbo language to teach in Ikwerre schools and that British missionaries used Igbo Christians and slaves to teach them bible, and that it was at that point that they stopped being Edoid speakers and became Igboid speakers.
They say this with bold face, even their intellectuals, when they know that there exists colonial archives of the language the Ikwrerre were speaking when the British arrived this shores, and it has always been their current Igboid one.

Ndiigbo have many other minorities in Eastern region . The Ogoni, Annang, Ibibio, Yala, Ogoja, Gakem, Andoni, Engenni, etc. None of these groups, many of who are smaller than Ikwerre. Surprisingly we couldn't get these groups to abandon their indigenous non Igbo related languages for Igbo ones, but only did so with Ikwerre, even when no evidence of such exists.

Nice one, this is also the reason why I find the Ikwerre claim of being a distinct group who were influenced by the Igbos highly questionable.

As I wrote above, not until we can see a form of document or proof of an ancient Ikwerre language very different from Igbo, then it cannot be true.

Just for the records... In your first paragraph, Hausa language did not spread amongst all Northern minorities due to subjugation of the caliphate.
How about Fulanis who were the conquerors who also lost and are still loosing their native Fulfude language to Hausa till date?

Kanuri used to be the lingua franca of the upper north-east cos they conquered the area but today it is Hausa and hausas did not conquer anywhere, rather fulanis did.

I'd say Hausa language spread by influence/trade and not really conquest or even colonialism. Although, the last 2 somehow promoted it.

because if we claim it was purely conquest or colonialism, how do we explain Hausa language being the lingua franca in Niger republic? All the non hausa tribes in Niger republic speak Hausa as a 2nd language, even up to the lightskinned Berbers in the north of the country close to Libya/Algeria.

The french who colonized Niger republic do not practice Indirect rule like the British and so couldn't have helped promote Hausa language there and neither did Fulani conquest affect Niger republic.

2 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by joeyfire(m): 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

Wow! This is enlightening.

I am not Igbo, but a middlebelter (I am saying this cos I don't want you to take my question as an Igbo person trying to force Igbo identity on you).

My question is this.
Were you Ikwerres speaking a very distinct language from Igbo language in the past, before you people were influenced by Igbos during precolonial and colonial times?

Southern Kaduna & Bauchi people are both neighbours of Hausas. Same precolonial and colonial influence of cut and join was done upon them by the British and today they all speak Hausa (some as a 1st language and others as a 2nd language).

The thing is that even in Bauchi where majority accepted Islam and hausanization was strongest, we can still see the traces of the minority languages. In the interior rural villages, elderly people still speak/spoke these native languages.
The last surviving speaker of Bure language in Bauchi, an old woman I think died a few years ago...

I always heard stories that the people of Birnin Gwari LGA in Kaduna state were originally Gwari people who have now become Hausas. I wasn't sure of this, not until I saw a British colonial record of ethnic groups in Northern Nigeria and it was clearly written by the British that the elders in Birnin Gwari still spoke Gbagyi language as at the 1920s. Then I was fully satisfied.

This is why I am asking you, can we see any form of record or evidence that Ikwerre people were very distinct from Igbos? Thank you.

And please enlighten me more about the COR agitation of minorities in the old Eastern region.

Middlebelt minorities also submitted their request to the Willinks Comission in 1959 for an independent region from the north, but it was heavily ignored. So I am really interested in that of the Eastern minorities. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by kayfra: 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2019
midnighter:

How were Igbos naked...there are clear photos online of what Igbos used to wear in days of old...please don't be an illiterate..

How can we have words for clothes, caps and attire if we didn't wear any smh

Those are new words created post contact with Europeans. Your men had a string around their penis and that was pretty much it for clothing. No real clothing
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 3:49pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:
The active pro-Igbos are the Igbuzors, Ogwash, Okpanam and parts of Asaba, e.t.c. You can hardly differentiate these ones from the Igbos in the SE. They are pro Igbo and Igbotic to the core. Most of them don't even give you the 'Delta-Igbo bullshit'. Ask them their tribe and they tell you IGBO!
The passive pro-Igbos in Enuani have some sort of inferiority or maybe that is just the way they are, I don't know. They accept being Igbo, but they hardly want to speak Igbo in public and with people from the SE. They do not openly flaunt their Igboness with pride unlike the active pro-Igbos.

I will never forget the time when a list of all the students in my level and facculty was posted on the notice board and people were identified with their ethnic languages, oboy, come and see identity crisis among Aniomas!!
You will see people from the same LGA, yet some will say they are Igbo, some Ndokwa, some Ukwani, some Kwale, some Ika, some Agbor and many other appellations. I mean, what kind of embarrassment is this?

Thank you, This is what I was trying to tell that guy

People identify as so many things yet he's acting like they've suddenly had some reawakening and realised that they can't possibly be Igbo when you can meet somebody from any of those places who will never be annoyed with you for classing him as an Igbo, whether he came from Benin or wherever or not.

3 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2019
midnighter:

Well, I can level with you on all of this except that

- The words "Deutsch" and "Dutch" are in no way pronounced the same, though I got your point.

- Dutch people are Germanic but not German. The history of Germany and its tribes, kingdoms and invasions is more complicated than that. In fact even English people share some ancestry with Germans and English is classed as a Germanic language

But as I said, I get your point. In the case of border communities and nations that are literally right next to each other, you will always get some mixing of languages and cultures until people on either sides of the boundary are indistinguishable from each other.

The issue of south-south divisions doesn't just affect Igbos, it affects almost all the groups in that area when they keep dividing themselves into smaller and smaller sub-groups, rightly or wrongly.

Imagine how much more political leverage Efik, Ibibio and all the sub-groups would have if they weren't so disparate

Ok, I thought Deutsch and Dutch were pronounced the same way. Can you pls differentiate it for me?

2ndly can you pls tell us the line of difference where one ceases to be GERMAN and becomes GERMANIC?
Cos like I told you, Low German (the dialect of Northern Germany) is highly mutually intelligble to Dutch, spoken in Netherlands. They understand each other very well. How then do people who speak the same language become Germanic and some Germans? My sister it is nothing but politics.
English people and Scandinavians can be called Germanic because their languages are not mutually intelligible to any dialect of German.

English language was heavily influenced by French, Latin and Celtic languages hence it completely transformed into an entirely different language... I have read manuscripts of Old English, spoken like 1,000 years ago. It looks purely like German. Infact it was considered a dialect of German then.

Yes, you are very correct about the SS ethnic groups. Akwa-Ibom & Calabar tribes are similar but divided. Edo tribes are similar but divided. Same thing with Urhobos & Isokos. I was shocked when an Eleme family friend told me that he was not Ogoni and that Elemes are not Ogoni people. Imagine?

Ijaws are the only ones who defy this plague among Southern minorities and I applaud them for this. Many people who identify as Ijaw today speak languages that are completely unrelated to Ijaw language. This is why I call Ijaw a political group rather than an ethnic group grin

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 3:57pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

My question is this.

Thank you ooo. Ha. I guess you were busy eating rice yesterday because we could have used your help trying to reason with these people

I keep asking where they got that language from since its not Igbo but there's no answer

Even those zango kattaf (spelling) who they have trying to wipe from the face of the earth can still speak their language, PLUS HAUSA.

How much more ikwerres who are even more fortunate than most Igbo states? So where is the mysterious language for crying out loud

3 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 4:05pm On Dec 09, 2019
oyatz:
Nigeria and indeed most African countries have great problems of ethnic tension because of the long lasting legacies of European colonialism which make tribal identities the basis of sharing national wealth, powers and privileges in artificially created heterogeneous countries.
It is the basis of civil wars, political instabilities and corruption in many African Countries.

If individual merits are largely used in sharing national wealth, political powers and privileges in these countries, nobody will give a hoot about tribes.

In Nigeria, the Fulani ethnic group have mastered the art of Statecraft. Even though they themselves are a minority recently settled ethnic group in Nigeria, have succeeded in forging an amalgam of diversed tribes into the largest power block headed by them.

They achieved these between 1804-1903 by conquering different tribes, encouraged them to forgo their tribal identities and embrace a new identity; the Islamic identity which unify everybody in Theocratic States called EMIRATES, many of which are joined together in a Confederacy called the SOKOTO Caliphate.

The British Colonialists met this structure and strengthened it by creating a larger political entity encompassing two thirds of Nigieria called Northern Region and handed it over to the Fulani rulers.

The Igbos on the other hand doesn't have this advantage. Similar tribes like the Anioma, Etche, Ekpeye and Ikwerre suppose to coalesce into the greater Igbo super ethnic group but they refuse to do so and this was magnified by the defeat of the Igbos in the Civil war with reverberating consequences.

However, the nature of life is that you can't always win on all sides. Those who are disadvantaged in one side are advantaged in other areas.

The Fulani have advantages in politics and powers but great disadvantages in education and modern indices of development. The Igbos have advantages in education, commerce and enjoy higher quality of life than most of their compatriots.

Fortunately, everything is subjected to change and things are changing nowadays.

Wow, you killed this analysis. I wish I could re-like this post of yours.

Fulanis have strong genes/origins from Semitic Berber/Arab people and probably this was the reason why they were naturally smarter than most pure Black Africans.

Actually, fulanis are using illiteracy as a tool to keep the pure unmixed Hausa masses in servitude and control. Cos I am very sure the moment Hausas become literate, they will start asking questions and this will lead to the dethronement of Fulanis.

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 4:05pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

Yes you are very correct. Ndokwa east (Ndosimili people) are not Ukwuanis.

Actually I have asked some Igbophobic Ikas & Ukwanis on the Anioma matter. You are not too correct in the sense that these people actually love a joint Anioma identity, but they are afraid that it is a pro-Igbo identity and it will further drag them towards being Igbo. Besides this, they have no problem with being Anioma.

Some of these Igbophobic Ikas & Ukwanis even reject the DELTA IGBO tag and to be honest, this is the identity with which most Edo & Deltans from other tribes tag them and most of them normally accept it.

Pls for the records, I never said Pro Igbos are 25% in Enuani. I said 25% in Anioma as a whole.
Of course Enuanis are predominantly pro Igbo. Especially Igbuzor, Okpanam & Ogwashi-Uku.
The first time I went to Ogwash, it felt like I was in the SE. A very close friend and church member of mine was from Igbuzor and men, this guy was even more Igbotic than our pastor who was from Imo state grin.
Anti Igbos are like 20-25% in Enuani. However, I think the 80% pro Igbo in Enuani is divided into 2 categories. The active pro-Igbos and the passive pro-Igbos.
The active pro-Igbos are the Igbuzors, Ogwash, Okpanam and parts of Asaba, e.t.c. You can hardly differentiate these ones from the Igbos in the SE grin. They are pro Igbo and Igbotic to the core. Most of them don't even give you the 'Delta-Igbo bullshit'. Ask them their tribe and they tell you IGBO!

This is just the same way you have the active anti-Igbos and passive anti-Igbos among Ikas, Ndokwas and even Enuani.

The passive anti-Igbos reject Igbo identity but they do not do it with hatred, bitterness and anger. They acknowledge kinship and relationship with Igbos, but they will emphasize the differences. If you can talk enough sense into these ones and explain to them why they should be Igbo, they could accept passively.

While the active anti-Igbos are the ones who show serious hatred towards Igbo identity and would not mind insulting and fighting over it. These ones do not mind rewriting history to show how Bini they are grin

Anioma people are just very funny to me. The worst part is that even within the same Anioma family, you find the different categories.

You can find an Anioma family where the father is passively pro Igbo, the mother is actively anti-Igbo because she had a quarrel with an Igbo woman or an Igbo woman tried to snatch her husband grin. The son actively pro-Igbo cos he learnt their history online and is more aware, while the daughters are not even interested in the topic of being Igbo or not and do not care.

This is why it is wrong for you to say you Igbos are only interested in Enuani because all Aniomas are interrelated and intertwined by history, culture and everything.
You cannot really divide them based on pro-Igbo and anti-Igboness. There are Ika & Ndokwa people who are very much pro Igbo and ready to die for the Igbo nation. What do you do about them? Osita Mordi my beloved friend is one of them.
To the Anioma people themselves, most of them do not even see this 'being Igbo or not topic' as a big issue, cos they know they are one family irrespective of their opinions. It is more of an issue to the SE people grin and I very much understand why.

This is somehow the same way Hausa-fulanis try to divide middlebelt and northern minority tribes based on religion, it doesn't work in most cases cos many of these tribes are 50/50 and intertwined. They now end up calling these tribal muslims fake muslims because these ones love their cultures and cannot kill for islam or practice sharia law grin.

For me, I think Anioma leaders, stakeholders and traditional leaders should come together once and for all and decide what they want to be in order to end all these to and fro arguments and divisions.
Isokos did it and rejected Urhobo identity and Urhobos accept it today and identify them separately, same thing with Itsekiris and Yoruba.

Cc midnighter

Your long post strongly emphasizes why it's pointless engaging in these issues with non Igbos.
You are obviously not knowledgeable enough about these issues to engage in it. To be able to reasonably understand this issue, you need to be an Igbo who has lived in these Igboid parts or an Igboid who has lived in South East.

The above doesn't make sense. There is no analogy whatever between Igbo and Anioma and Middle belt and Hausa-Fulani. The Igbo speak same indigenous language with these Igboid groups, the Hausa-fulani don't speak the same language with middle belt groups. Even middle belt groups are very heterogeneous and don't
speak the same language.
Secondly , no Igbo person is seeking to divide Anioma, we are simply identifying with those who identify with us, who happens to be mainly those of them in Enu-ani, many of us are tired of reaching out to Ika and Ukwuani.

Additionally, The Enuani and Ukwuani are intertwined with Ika, as much as the Ukwuani are entwined with Igbos in Ogbaru LGA of Anambra, and the with the Igbos in Oguta LGA.
If you are Igbo, you would know this and will not go off tangent with the narrative of Igbos trying to disunite Anioma.

Nevertheless, you tried in other parts of your analysis of the issue.

6 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 4:13pm On Dec 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Your logic and sampling is skewed based on your interactions with few which I always summarize as lies.

Even in kwale they answer Emeke, Emeka, Chukwuemeka...Ugochukwu, Orji.., onyekachukwu...

All are still their names.

See, larger dialects always swallow up smaller dialects within the same language.

Many Ondo & Ekiti people answer Oyo dialect Yoruba names today in addition to their own dialect names, but they know the ones that originally belong to their native dialects.

Same with Aniomas. There are Igbo names that are aboriginal to Anioma dialects and those that aren't.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by OgaBuhari: 4:17pm On Dec 09, 2019
[s]
midnighter:

Thank you ooo. Ha. I guess you were busy eating rice yesterday because we could have used your help trying to reason with these people

I keep asking where they got that language from since its not Igbo but there's no answer

Even those zango kattaf (spelling) who they have trying to wipe from the face of the earth can still speak their language, PLUS HAUSA.

How much more ikwerres who are even more fortunate than most Igbo states? So where is the mysterious language for crying out loud
[/s]
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by OgaBuhari: 4:18pm On Dec 09, 2019
[s]
midnighter:

Thank you, This is what I was trying to tell that guy, people identify as so many things yet he's acting like they've suddenly had some reawakening and realised that they can't possibly be Igbo when you can meet somebody from any of those places who will never be annoyed with you for classing him as an Igbo, whether he came from Benin or wherever or not.
[/s]
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 4:24pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

See, larger dialects always swallow up smaller dialects within the same language.

Many Ondo & Ekiti people answer Oyo dialect Yoruba names today in addition to their own dialect names, but they know the ones that originally belong to their native dialects.

Same with Aniomas. There are Igbo names that are aboriginal to Anioma dialects and those that aren't.

What exactly do you mean by "Igbo names"?

Are you aware that every Igbo clan has names peculiar to them?

Enugu Nkanu = Ogbodo,Onovo, Ene, Nnamani, NnamOk, Nnamene, Ani, Chukwuonu, Edeh, Chukwunnaji,, etc

Enugu Nsukka = Ossai, Ohayi, Asadu, Nwodo, Ugwuoke, Ugwuanyi,Ngwuoke, Ezeah, etc

Do you know that Emeka is mainly Enugu and Anambra dialect?

Emeka in Imo and Abia should be "Emela", so the Abia and Imo equivalent of Chukwuemeka should be Chukwuemela, but for the sake of Igbo unity project, only few Imo and Abia people bear Chukwuemela.

Chinyere is of Abia/Imo origin, it should be Chinyelu in Anambra and Chinyeru in Enugu/Ebonyi. But for sake of Igbo unity, most Anambra people name their daughters Chinyere and not Chinyelu.

So when you say "Igbo names", which names exactly do you mean, and who are the "Igbos" you are referring to.
Because it would occur to me that you are assuming there is a monolithic Igbo name.

Igbo groups simply adopt dialectical versions of names that appear sweeter as standard name.

For example, Obinna should be Obunna in parts of Abia state, Ifeanyi should be Iheanyi in parts of Imo/Abia/Enugu/Ebonyi, and Iveanyi in parts of Anambra and Enugu (Nenwe-Aninri), Chizaram should be Chizalum in Anambra and Chizarum in Ebonyi/Enugu.
Yet you find people from parts of Igboland using versions of the name not indigenous to them, simply because the version other Igbos are using sound more exotic than theirs.

8 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

Pure lies because a list of their names hardly shows such...Is it obi of kwale or should I say Okpalaukwu...That's the name of the stool or does it mean a certain real name was also swallowed.

What you said is a figment of your Imagination not the fact on ground.

Even there they still answer Ojiuzor, chukwudi, Ifeanyi, Chibuzor, Anulika and the rest..

Such are their names and who they are..

Your meeting two or three people and base your logic on that is a bad research.

For this it is figment of your Imagination not facts.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by AceRoot(m): 4:31pm On Dec 09, 2019

I am sorry if I am intruding here, but I hope you really can read through it all with an open mind.

WILLINK REPORT 1958 EXCERPTS.:

THE HISTORICAL AND POLITICAL BACKGROUND.

1. “More than 98% of people who inhabit this area (the ‘Ibo Plateau’ of the Eastern region) are Ibo and speak one language, though of course with certain differences of dialect. There are nearly five million of them and they are too many for the soil to support: they are vigorous and intelligent and have pushed outward in every direction, seeking a livelihood by trade or in service in the surrounding areas of the Eastern Region, in the Western Region, in the North and outside Nigeria. They are no more popular with their neighbours than is usual in the case of an energetic and expanding people whose neighbours have a more leisurely outlook on life.”

2. “Though there has been no great kingdom or indigenous culture in the Eastern Region, the coastal chiefs grew on their trade with the (European merchant) ships and they adopted customs, clothing and housing more advanced than those of the peoples of the interior on whom they had at first preyed for slaves. They came during the 19th Century to regard the people of the interior as backward and ignorant, and it was therefore a blow to their pride, as well as to their pockets, when the Ibos began to push outwards into the surrounding fringe of the country and particularly into the Calabar area, to take up land, to grow rich, to own houses and lorries and occupy posts in public services and in the services of large trading firms.”

“It was among the Ibos, formerly despised by the people of Calabar as source of slaves and as a backward people of the interior, now feared and disliked as energetic and educated, that the first political party formed.”

3. “It is important to remember that of this (Ogoja) Province’s 1,082,000 inhabitants, 723,000 are Ibos, almost entirely in Abakaliki and Afikpo (Divisions), while the census classifies 350,000 as “Other Nigerian Tribes.”

4. The Rivers Province …includes the two divisions of Brass and Degema, both overwhelmingly Ijaw, and the Ogoni Division. The former Rivers Division also includes over 300,000 Ibos of whom 250,000 are in Ahoada Division and 45,000 in Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt is a town of recent growth and of rapidly increasing importance; it is built on land that blonged originally to an outlying branch of the Ibo tribe, the Diobus, but is largely inhabited by the Ibos from the interior who have come to trade or seek employment….Of the total 747,000 in the Rivers province, 305,000 are Ibos, 240,000 are Ijaws and 156,000 are Ogonis.”

5. “The strip to the south of the Ibo block, is physically, divided by a block of Ibo territory, tipped by the important Ibo town of Port Harcourt and tribally divided between the Ijaws and the Ogonis.”

6. “In the whole of this non-Ibo area there is present in varying degree some fear of being over-run, commercially and politically, by the Ibos….. if Ahoada and Port Harcourt, which are really Ibo, are considered with the solid centre of Ibo population, there are 54 seats for the Ibo area and 30 for COR (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers) in (Eastern Regional House of Assembly).”

THE FEARS AND GRIEVANCES OF MINORITIES

7. “It was suggested (by non-Ibo petitioners) that it was the deliberate object of the Ibo majority in the Region to fill every post with Ibos (in public post and services).….when, however we came to consider specific complaints about the composition of public bodies, we found them in many cases exaggerated or unreasonable.”

8. “The allegation was put forward by counsel (to petitioners) that the Judiciary (when not European) was predominantly Ibo, with the implication that this caused fear among those who are not Ibos. But it was clearly stated in evidence by Dr. Udoma, the leader of UNIP, that no occasion could be adduced of the judiciary acting with partiality. The fact is that the legal profession is largely Ibos and the reasons for this do not seem to be Government action. It is therefore inevitable that there should be an Ibo preponderance among Judges and Magistrates. Further, it is the declared policy of Government that the Judiciary should be federal and this does not indicate a desire to control it. Again, the operation and composition of Public Service Commission here, as in the West, appeared to us in no way open to reproach.”

9. “In the Police, which in this region alone is wholly Federal, the number of Ibos in the higher appointments is not out of proportion to the Ibos in the region. The force is now federally controlled and although there are a large number of Ibos in the lower ranks, this is due to the fact that it has for long been a tradition among the Ibos to offer themselves for recruitment in this force in far greater numbers than any other tribe.”

10. “we noted that in five years, 1952 – 1957, from a total of 412 secondary scholarships, 216 were awarded to persons living in the COR areas, while the figures for post-secondary scholarships were 211 out of 623. The latter is about the right proportion of one-third, the former considerably in excess. It was suggested that scholarships awarded to non-Ibos were of an inferior kind and that the best scholarships went to Ibos, but we were, unable to see that this claim held any validity. On the evidence before us, we conclude that the allegations of discriminations in the matter of scholarships are unjustified.”

11. “It was further suggested that loans by the Eastern Regional Finance Corporation, the Eastern Region Development Board, and the Eastern Region Development Corporation were made with some degree of preference to Ibos. It did appear that most of the loans made by these bodies were to Ibos, but that is not to say that this was necessarily improper. Ibos constitute two thirds of the population of the region and have a bigger share of financial and commercial responsibility than their numbers warrant.”

12. “That there should be modern streetlight in Onitsha, and not Calabar, was also quoted as example of discrimination; it proved however that Onitsha Urban District Council had financed this measure from their own resources.”

13. “The question of land was repeatedly raised, it being resented by the Efiks and Ibibios that the Ibos should acquire land at all in their territory while the methods by which it was obtained were also questioned. There is no doubt that on the Ibo Plateau there is insufficient land for the people and the Ibos ate thrusting outwards where possible they acquire land and use it either for cultivation or building…..This is a matter which will require legislation sooner or later and it will be delicate to handle, but the economic process is in itself healthy and we had little sympathy with a witness who remarked that there is much undeveloped land in district and he was anxious that it should not fall into the hand of the Ibos….We believe that Governments in Nigeria should be careful not to try to protect minorities by introducing measures that would restrict development.”

14. “A group of miscellaneous grievances and charges against the Ibos from Calabar may be treated together; we were told that the Ibos did not observe local customs in the markets….We formed the impression that jealousy of the Ibos successes in the markets was the main factor.”

THE PROPOSAL FOR NEW STATES

15. “The Ogoja state proposed to us would include former Ogoja province, whose population of slightly more than One million include more than 700,000 Ibos…the main intention would be separation from the central body of Ibo population, but in which they will still be linked together with as a minority with their Ibo neighbours in Abakaliki and Afikpo…A majority of evidence we heard from Ogoja was direct that they preferred the present situation to any association with Calabar and that they were at least as much afraid of domination by Efiks and Ibibios as by Ibos.”

16. “The (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers or COR) state proposed would consist of Calabar, Rivers and Ogoja provinces excluding the two Ibo Divisions of Abakaliki and Afikpo. The population of this area is 2,649,000 and the following would be the five largest tribes:

Ibibio 717,000
Annang 435,000
Ibo 428,000
Ijaw 251,000
Ogoni 156,000

As already explained, the small but important Efik tribe of 71,000…The (COR) area is far from homogenous , and many of the other tribes expressed at least as much fear of the Efiks and Ibibios as of the Ibo. It would leave the Ibos of the Ibo Plateau surrounded by a state whose reason for existence was hostility to themselves: the Ibos are an expanding people…”

17. “The area claimed for Rivers state consists of the whole of the Rivers province, that is: The Division of Brass, Degema, Ogoni, Port Harcourt and Ahoada, together with the Western Ijaw Division from the western region, and two small sections in the Eastern Region from outside the Rivers Province, Opodo and Andoni being one, Ndoki the other.”

18. “Port Harcourt is an Ibo town and it is growing rapidly and the indigenous branch of the Ibos who are original inhabitants are already out-numbered by Ibos from the hinterland.”

19. “The people of Ahoada, a Division of which a pan runs down to meet Port Harcourt, appear at one time to have favoured the idea of a Rivers state, but have changed their views and before us expressed themselves as strongly against it. Comparatively few of them live in the low-lying swampy country of the coastal strip and they have voted for the NCNC consistently, they said themselves that a main factor in their change of front had been the inclusion if the Western Ijaws in the proposed state. So long, they said, as the Rivers state was to consist of the River Province only, the Ibos would have been the most numerous tribe within it: but the inclusion of the Western Ijaw Division put them at a numerical disadvantage beside the Ijaws and they therefore preferred to stay out. Whether or not this was a line of reasoning that really had a wide appeal, the fact remain that before us they were opposed to the idea of the state. This is not surprising because their problems are different from those of the ijaws.”

20. “To include within a River state Ahoada and Port Harcourt, would, we believe, create a problem as acute as that with which we were asked to deal at present and and would be sharply resented by the Ibos of the central plateau.”

***"Copied from Elsewhere"***

2 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 4:33pm On Dec 09, 2019
oyatz:
Nigeria and indeed most African countries have great problems of ethnic tension because of the long lasting legacies of European colonialism which make tribal identities the basis of sharing national wealth, powers and privileges in artificially created heterogeneous countries.
It is the basis of civil wars, political instabilities and corruption in many African Countries.

If individual merits are largely used in sharing national wealth, political powers and privileges in these countries, nobody will give a hoot about tribes.

In Nigeria, the Fulani ethnic group have mastered the art of Statecraft. Even though they themselves are a minority recently settled ethnic group in Nigeria, have succeeded in forging an amalgam of diversed tribes into the largest power block headed by them.

They achieved these between 1804-1903 by conquering different tribes, encouraged them to forgo their tribal identities and embrace a new identity; the Islamic identity which unify everybody in Theocratic States called EMIRATES, many of which are joined together in a Confederacy called the SOKOTO Caliphate.

The British Colonialists met this structure and strengthened it by creating a larger political entity encompassing two thirds of Nigieria called Northern Region and handed it over to the Fulani rulers.

The Igbos on the other hand doesn't have this advantage. Similar tribes like the Anioma, Etche, Ekpeye and Ikwerre suppose to coalesce into the greater Igbo super ethnic group but they refuse to do so and this was magnified by the defeat of the Igbos in the Civil war with reverberating consequences.

However, the nature of life is that you can't always win on all sides. Those who are disadvantaged in one side are advantaged in other areas.

The Fulani have advantages in politics and powers but great disadvantages in education and modern indices of development. The Igbos have advantages in education, commerce and enjoy higher quality of life than most of their compatriots.

Fortunately, everything is subjected to change and things are changing nowadays.

Okay. Though like I keep saying, you will still see people from those areas who tell you they are Igbo. There are people from Delta who, if you ask them if they are Igbo, will just start laughing and not even answer you so the theories people are writing here don't always play out in real life.

Plus I think the bolded is quote a one-dimensional statement.

Tribes are not only there for political consolidation of power; tribal identities give rise to culture, heritage, outlook and societal organisation.

Or as a question, nobody would give a hoot about tribe in relation to what ?

If just with respect to politics, fine. But tribe and what comes of it are still important and it's not foolhardy or a waste of time to open up tribal or ethnic identity issues.

Your second bolded is the grouse that a lot people in this thread have. For the advantages you listed in your penultimate statement, don't you think it will look to some people as if those so-called rejectors of Igbo identity are trying to eat their cake and have it too?

Igbo enough to succeed in those endeavours but not Igbo enough to suffer the gross socioeconomic and political marginalisation that arose partly from them.

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 4:35pm On Dec 09, 2019
pazienza:

Your long post strongly emphasizes why it's pointless engaging in these issues with non Igbos.
You are obviously not knowledgeable enough about these issues to engage in it. To be able to reasonably understand this issue, you need to be an Igbo who has lived in these Igboid parts or an Igboid who has lived in South East.

The above doesn't make sense. There is no analogy whatever between Igbo and Anioma and Middle belt and Hausa-Fulani. The Igbo speak same indigenous language with these Igboid groups, the Hausa-fulani don't speak the same language with middle belt groups. Even middle belt groups are very heterogeneous and don't
speak the same language.
Secondly , no Igbo person is seeking to divide Anioma, we are simply identifying with those who identify with us, who happens to be mainly those of them in Enu-ani, many of us are tired of reaching out to Ika and Ukwuani.

Additionally, The Enuani and Ukwuani are intertwined with Ika, as much as the Ukwuani are entwined with Igbos in Ogbaru LGA of Anambra, and the with the Igbos in Oguta LGA.
If you are Igbo, you would know this and will not go off tangent with the narrative of Igbos trying to disunite Anioma.

Nevertheless, you tried in other parts of your analysis of the issue.

Ok, I think I get where you are coming from. It's good that you say you are only interested in identifying with Aniomas that identify with you.

It's a better way for you to put it unlike the way I see some other SE Igbos who sit down in Aba and use a pair of scissors to be carving Anioma in and out by claiming that so so and so place will be in Biafra while others can join Yoruba or go to hell. Some will even tell you that when they take over Anioma, all the Anti-Igbos will be sent back to Benin grin.
And I'm like, wow! How do you just divide a people who love themselves based on your own views & interests?

Do not have a very myopic and tribalized view as an educated person.
See, my virtue of being very inquisitive and loving of understanding cultures and origins, coupled with the fact that I grew up in Delta state and have lived with many Aniomas qualifies me to talk about Aniomas and even understand them better than an Aba person who has never crossed the Niger river and only knows about Anioma people based on what he sees online.

The problem only comes in if I am biased (like I hate the Igbo ethnic group) hence my views would be highly biased.

Secondly, my bringing in Hausa and middlebelt tribes into the comparison is not really to tell you that both situations are the same, rather it is more or less about to show you how a certain majority or large group sits down to divide a certain area which they do not really understand the differences, divisions and histories, simply based on their own opinions and selfishness.

I have seen even Pro-Igbo Aniomas arguing with SE Igbos because these SE Igbos make erroneous claims about Anioma based on their own selfish interests.

You can see a SE Igbo come out and say something like ''Any Anioma person who claims to be from Benin is a foöl''....... Now this is very very wrong because someone can be pro-Igbo and at the same time take pride in his/her Benin ancestry.
So, this is where I am coming from.

Thank you for appreciating other parts of my analysis.

And just for the records, I know about the relationship of Ukwuanis & Oguta, Ogbaru people. I know about the relationship of Enuanis with Onitsha, Obosi e.t.c.
I know about a lot of Igbo history, origins, migrations, wars e.t.c than most Igbos within the youth age actually know about themselves.
Thanks to my Pal Osita Mordi smiley
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Bigcowhorn: 4:39pm On Dec 09, 2019
OgaBuhari:

OgaBuhari:

You will never engage in a competitive argument again. This is the best you ever do with this moniker . Use another and I will still get you

grin grin grin
grin grin
cool
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nowenuse:

Ok, I think I get where you are coming from. It's good that you say you are only interested in identifying with Aniomas that identify with you.

[s]It's a better way for you to put it unlike the way I see some other SE Igbos who sit down in Aba and use a pair of scissors to be carving Anioma in and out by claiming that so so and so place will be in Biafra while others can join Yoruba or go to hell. Some will even tell you that when they take over Anioma, all the Anti-Igbos will be sent back to Benin grin.
And I'm like, wow! How do you just divide a people who love themselves based on your own views & interests?[/s]

Do not have a very myopic and tribalized view as an educated person.
See, my virtue of being very inquisitive and loving of understanding cultures and origins, coupled with the fact that I grew up in Delta state and have lived with many Aniomas qualifies me to talk about Aniomas and even understand them better than an Aba person who has never crossed the Niger river and only knows about Anioma people based on what he sees online.

The problem only comes in if I am biased (like I hate the Igbo ethnic group) hence my views would be highly biased.

Secondly, my bringing in Hausa and middlebelt tribes into the comparison is not really to tell you that both situations are the same, rather it is more or less about to show you how a certain majority or large group sits down to divide a certain area which they do not really understand the differences, divisions and histories, simply based on their own opinions and selfishness.

I have seen even Pro-Igbo Aniomas arguing with SE Igbos because these SE Igbos make erroneous claims about Anioma based on their own selfish interests.

You can see a SE Igbo come out and say something like ''Any Anioma person who claims to be from Benin is a foöl''....... Now this is very very wrong because someone can be pro-Igbo and at the same time take pride in his/her Benin ancestry.
So, this is where I am coming from.

Thank you for appreciating other parts of my analysis.

And just for the records, I know about the relationship of Ukwuanis & Oguta, Ogbaru people. I know about the relationship of Enuanis with Onitsha, Obosi e.t.c.
I know about a lot of Igbo history, origins, migrations, wars e.t.c than most Igbos within the youth age actually know about themselves.
Thanks to my Pal Osita Mordi smiley

You over meet and over interact and they will always have one negative thing to tell you.

I give up on you.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nowenuse: 4:39pm On Dec 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Pure lies because a list of their names hardly shows such...Is it obi of kwale or should I say Okpalaukwu...That's the name of the stool or does it mean a certain real name was also swallowed.

What you said is a figment of your Imagination not the fact on ground.

Even there they still answer Ojiuzor, chukwudi, Ifeanyi, Chibuzor, Anulika and the rest..

Such are their names and who they are..

Your meeting two or three people and base your logic on that is a bad research.

For this it is figment of your Imagination not facts.

Wait bros, what is your argument here?

Are you saying that there are no names peculiar to certain dialects of a larger tribe?
Are you saying that people do not borrow the names of their neighbours? Cos even unrelated ethnic groups borrow each other's names, let alone people from the same ethnic group.

Well, many Igbos here say you are an intruder and not an Igbo, so there's no need going further in this argument.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Patrick Obahiagbon Praises Zahra Buhari On Twitter / Omoyele Sowore Blasts Linda Ikeji: "She Is Returning The Favour To The Police" / FFK: Pregnant Christian Woman Burnt Alive By Fulani Terrorists (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 223
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.