Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? (42532 Views)

Is Pharmacology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria / Medical Laboratory Science, Nursing And Pharmacology Which Is Better To Study / Clinical Pharmacology Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Simplyleo: 9:24am On Dec 10, 2019
lexy2014:

They both about drugs. Pharmacology is simply d study of drugs
Pls explain, I'm very interested.

Is pharmacy not the study of drugs?

Or is it the suffix "logy" in the pharmacology that actually describes it as "study".

Generally, what exactly is the difference between the two?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 9:26am On Dec 10, 2019
Simplyleo:

Or is it the suffix "logy" in the pharmacology that actually describes it as "study".

Are you not Reading what people Have been saying Since.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by OlawaleBammie: 9:26am On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

They are not Same.. Pharmacy and Pharmacology are Different.
Pharmacology is a Branch in Pharmacy.
That Means,a Pharmacist is also Grounded in Pharmacology with Solid Knowledge in pharmaceutical chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Microbiology/Biochemistry,Clinical Pharmacy, Dispensing, Pharmaceutical Technology etal....
They are not the Same

Hmmmmmmmm more like convincing me dat Nepa light is different from Micano generator light.

OK, mogbo o
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by VoltageDivida(m): 9:27am On Dec 10, 2019
9jayes:
The difference between them is PSYCHOLOGY.

PharmaCY PharmaCOLOGY = CYCOLOGY

A Legend You Are. RESPECT!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by atiku4President(m): 9:27am On Dec 10, 2019
The difference between pharmacology and pharmacy is pharmacognocy. Think am correct
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 10, 2019
edoairways:

Pharmacology is research oriented

There’s no life science course that’s not research oriented including pharmacy

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Jaysleeves(m): 9:29am On Dec 10, 2019
The Educational system in Nigeria needs restructuring and overhauling. Especially that of tertiary institutions, there are many courses that are of less or next to zero productivity in Nigeria.
Please for the younger ones don't make mistakes we made. For in Nigeria if it's not Medical professional courses. E.g Medicine, pharmacy and co. Please don't study, Allied or Basic medical Courses na scam for Naija.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by edoairways: 9:29am On Dec 10, 2019
1StopRudeness:

There’s no life science course that’s not research oriented including pharmacy
Research oriented in the study of drugs

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 9:30am On Dec 10, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Hmmmmmmmm more like convincing me dat Nepa light is different from Micano generator light.

OK, mogbo o
grin
Pharmacy and Pharmacology are not the same. They are only Related.
Pharmacology is a Branch of Pharmacy. You study Pharmacology From 2-5/6 in Pharmacy School. While Pharmacology as an Undergraduate course is a 4Years course.
Pharmacology is a Department Under Faculty of Pharmacy.
B.pharm/Pharm.D is on a Higher Level than BSc. In Pharmacology.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 10, 2019
edoairways:

Research oriented in the study of drugs

I give up on you....peace man
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Simplyleo: 9:32am On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

Are you not Reading what people Have been saying Since.
Many explanations are flying on the thread.

But what I understand is that pharmacy comprises some branches which has pharmacology as one.

But now you said pharmacology is the study of drugs. My question now is; what is pharmacy itself? Is it not the study of drugs?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by edoairways: 9:32am On Dec 10, 2019
1StopRudeness:

I give up on you....peace man
Am learning from you na don't give up
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 9:32am On Dec 10, 2019
Jaysleeves:
The Educational system in Nigeria needs restructuring and overhauling. Especially that of tertiary institutions, there are many courses that are of less or next to zero productivity in Nigeria.
Please for the younger ones don't make mistakes we made. For in Nigeria if it's not Medical professional courses. E.g Medicine, pharmacy and co. Please don't study, Allied or Basic medical Courses na scam for Naija.
Which courses are Allied and which courses are Basic Medical Science Courses
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Moutine(m): 9:33am On Dec 10, 2019
And the difference between chemistry and chemical .
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 10, 2019
edoairways:

Am learning from you na don't give up

Learn from me..?? Please don’t try to be funny, it’s not working
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 9:36am On Dec 10, 2019
Simplyleo:

Many explanations are flying on the thread.

But what I understand is that pharmacy comprises some branches which has pharmacology as one.

But now you said pharmacology is the study of drugs. My question now is; what is pharmacy itself? Is it not the study of drugs?
Its still the study of Drug....,its Formulation, Compounding, Dispensing,Sales,Advice to Patients and other Professionals on Drug use etal and its Regulation and Registration.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by OlawaleBammie: 9:36am On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

grin
Pharmacy and Pharmacology are not the same. They are only Related.
Pharmacology is a Branch of Pharmacy. You study Pharmacology From 2-5/6 in Pharmacy School. While Pharmacology as an Undergraduate course is a 4Years course.
Pharmacology is a Department Under Faculty of Pharmacy.
B.pharm/Pharm.D is on a Higher Level than BSc. In Pharmacology.

OK, in one word, a competent road side mechanic is different from mechanical engineering student. I tink Dat is wat u mean sha. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Jaysleeves(m): 9:37am On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

Which courses are Allied and which courses are Basic Medical Science Courses
Oga notice the "OR" in between them and google their differences... this na morning no time for arguments, Either take or leave it.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 9:39am On Dec 10, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

OK, in one word, a competent road side mechanic is different from mechanical engineering student. I tink Dat is wat u mean sha. grin
Alright...
I have Made my point grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 9:40am On Dec 10, 2019
Jaysleeves:
Oga notice the "OR" in between them and google their differences... this na morning no time for arguments, Either take or leave it.
Hahahaha..i wasn't planning on arguing with anybody. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by edoairways: 9:41am On Dec 10, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Learn from me..?? Please don’t try to be funny, it’s not working
It is not funny either. We learn, argue and brainstorm to get knowledge
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by rita25(f): 9:43am On Dec 10, 2019
PHARMARCY NA SHOP LIKE CHEMIST WHERE DRUGS ARE SOLD PHARMACOLOGY IS A COURSE WHERE YOU STUDY HOW TO GET A PHARMACY AND BECOME A PHARMACIST....................................KAI AM GOOD
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 10, 2019
Jaysleeves:

Don’t confuse people..just becos something ddnt work for u doesn’t mean it won’t work for others...my uncle did anatomy which is a basic medical science course like along side with physiology, biochemistry etc.....
He now specializes in morbid anatomy and he’s currently assistant head of his forensics department handling autopsy and many other test involving biopsy.. he work closely with pathologist...every body can’t be doctors, who do want to be pathologist, biochemist, physio and the likes

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Jman06(m): 9:44am On Dec 10, 2019
If you must study Pharmacology, try and make up your mind on furthering your education up to PhD level so you can get a chance to be employed as a lecturer.

Not after taking the shortcut you'll start constituting nuisance to the noble pharmacy profession!

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by damosade(m): 9:46am On Dec 10, 2019
Educational...

We register your business with corporate affairs commission, process your TIN, process your SCUML and audited statement of account,
I also do compliance certificate - NSITF, BPP, ITF, PENCOM, FRCN, which I can assist you with if you need my assistance.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Jaysleeves(m): 9:49am On Dec 10, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Don’t confuse people..just becos something ddnt work for u doesn’t mean it won’t work for others...my uncle did anatomy which is a basic medical science course like along side with physiology, biochemistry etc.....
He now specializes in morbid anatomy and he’s currently assistant head of his forensics department handling autopsy and many other test involving biopsy.. he work closely with pathologist...every body can’t be doctors, who do want to be pathologist, biochemist, physio and the likes
Them say fowl wey wan lost nor dey hear word. Please go ahead. You mentioned just your uncle amongs other thousands if not millions who had studied BMS courses. And show respect when speaking to Elders, we nor be mate. Because say we dey same forum nor mean say u go dey yan carelessly.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Samstrange44(m): 9:49am On Dec 10, 2019
ETWs:
Pharmacolo[color=#000099][/color]gy is for people who want to study any course that ENDS with .".......OLOGY."

Pharmacy is for people who want to study pharmacy.

like seriously grin grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 10, 2019
bizme:
Let your kid ASAP quit that Pharmacology programme.
It is NOT the same as Pharmacy.
It is more like studying Medical Biochemistry and thinking that would make you a Medical doctor.

If Pharmacology is what she really wants, then she can sit put and have it. With pharmacology she gets to work as laboratory instructor in Pharmacology lab, or she can acquire postgraduate degrees and become a lecturer. She can also work as a salesperson for some pharmaceutical industry... Of course, she can also enter politics and become the President of Nigeria: far less qualified human beings with WAEC have done that.

But no matter what she does with Pharmacology, she can never work as a pharmacist. A pharmacist is a professional; a pharmacologist is not. By being a professional it means a Pharmacist receives a practicing license that gives him and him alone the right to so practice. It means the job of a pharmacist can only be given to individuals that have received specialized training, and no other person without such training may work in his place.

I am a Pharmacist, and I had previously worked as a pharmacologist, so I should know.

as men of honour, we join hands

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by lexy2014: 9:51am On Dec 10, 2019
Simplyleo:

Pharmacy actually studies how drugs are made. D suffix "logy" in pharmacology kind of says it all. So u have medical students studying pharmacology so they can no d components of drugs& how it affects diseases but not pharmacy. So pharmacology is a branch of pharmacy
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by AreaFada2: 9:52am On Dec 10, 2019
Simple Explanation:

Pharmacy: a professional occupation able to formulate, prepare, prescribe and dispense drugs to treat illness.
Pharmacology: a basic science about how the affects/processes drugs when taken and how the body also affects/transform drugs.

A pharmacist can sail into the sunset after their first degree (with the usual post-grad training mandated by the regulatory body) and practice until retirement. A pharmacologist often need an MSc or even PhD to be relevant in science.

Very different dear.

If she wants a professional course, radiography is a good option.

Or if you have the funds, after her BSc in Pharmacology, she can do the 2 years M.Parm degree in Australia to qualify as a pharmacist.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Simplyleo: 9:53am On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

Its still the study of Drug....,its Formulation, Compounding, Dispensing,Sales,Advice to Patients and other Professionals on Drug use etal and its Regulation and Registration.
Okay.

My understanding from this;

Pharmacology is the actual study of the drug itself.

Pharmacy encompasses study of the drugs and all other activities involved in bringing the drugs to the final consumers namely; dispensing, administration, advice, costing etc.

Right?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by JeffreyLiaison(m): 9:54am On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

Don't Read out of Context.
Of course we Know Pharmacy is a Place where Drugs are Kept/Sold.
But in this Context,the OP was Comparing two courses...which one is Better.
English mehn!
Difference between is different from ''which one is better"!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra University Lecturer Falls In Class, Smashes Laptop To Demonstrate / Zuriel Oduwole Speaks At The Ron Clark Academy In Atlanta / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.