Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? (42390 Views)

Is Pharmacology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria / Medical Laboratory Science, Nursing And Pharmacology Which Is Better To Study / Clinical Pharmacology Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by MedicH: 9:54am On Dec 10, 2019
edoairways:
Pharmacology is the study of the sources, uses, and mechanisms of action of drugs. That is what the body does to drugs (pharmacokinetics) and what drugs do to the body (pharmacodynamics).

Pharmacy is the science or practice of the preparation, formulation, and dispensing of medicinal drugs.
Can a pharmacologist work in a pharmacy ?
A pharmacologist does not work in a pharmacy, instead they work in laboratories

Pharmacologist is a person who discovers new drugs test their action and effectiveness over a disease. ... Pharmacist is one who has enough knowledge about drugs and helps a pharmacologist in research on drugs

As a pharmacist you fill prescriptions and advise patients on drug use. You are trained in a program that has a defined length. Usually you work in a retail pharmacy or a hospital pharmacy. The pay is good, the hours are regular, the work may be repetitious. Whether it is enjoyable depends on your management and your patients/customers, but it’s a steady job.
As pharmacologist you are a research scientist, either in academia or a pharmaceutical company. The pay is not too different from a pharmacist. You are trained in a Ph.D. program which takes as long as it takes. You are trying to develop new drugs or to understand how existing drugs work.

Well answered.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Simplyleo: 9:55am On Dec 10, 2019
lexy2014:

Pharmacy actually studies how drugs are made. D suffix "logy" in pharmacology kind of says it all. So u have medical students studying pharmacology so they can no d components of drugs& how it affects diseases but not pharmacy. So pharmacology is a branch of pharmacy
Thanks.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by MrCork: 9:56am On Dec 10, 2019
scarffield:
My kidsis chose pharmacy as first choice at unilag but was given pharmacology.....

Please house, is there any significant difference between pharmacy and pharmacology and which of them thrives better in Nigeria

pharmacy gets them more chicks sir(lightskin chicks)... tell them to go for phamacy(truss me) wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Geesaintagape: 9:57am On Dec 10, 2019
My dear may u not b deceived to pharmacology.
Jeje stay at home n try again.
Pharmacology is a scam in Nigeria.
No research center for them.
Pharmaceutical association of Nigeria has banned them from owning pharmacy shop.
No job for them aside lecturing.
Pharmaceutical industry don't need as pharmacist can cover n do more

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 10:06am On Dec 10, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:
English mehn!
Difference between is different from ''which one is better"!
Okay...but we all know why the OP asked the Question.
His Sister wanted Pharmacy and was Given Pharmacology. Of course He wants to know if Pharmacology is Equivalent or Even Superior sef.
saying Pharmacy is study of Bla bla bla while Pharmacology is bla bla bla will Not Solve the Issue without Going further to State which one is Better.
I understand your point sha
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 10:07am On Dec 10, 2019
Simplyleo:

Okay.

My understanding from this;

Pharmacology is the actual study of the drug itself.

Pharmacy encompasses study of the drugs and all other activities involved in bringing the drugs to the final consumers namely; dispensing, administration, advice, costing etc.

Right?
Yeah

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by ikcid: 10:08am On Dec 10, 2019
Your sister should write another JAMB and go for pharmacy as far as Nigeria is concerned.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 10, 2019
Jaysleeves:
Them say fowl wey wan lost nor dey hear word. Please go ahead. You mentioned just your uncle amongs other thousands if not millions who had studied BMS courses. And show respect when speaking to Elders, we nor be mate. Because say we dey same forum nor mean say u go dey yan carelessly.

Really? U mean I disrespected/insulted u in my last comment??

How did I insult u if I might ask, what exactly did I say so that it won’t happen again??

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Yankee101: 10:13am On Dec 10, 2019
Na 419. Ask them to insist on pharmacy if they want to become pharmacists or change schools.

In Nigeria the pharmacist is already battling inferiority complexes compared to doctors

As a Pharmacologist restricted to labs they will further feel inferior to pharmacists and won't be able to monetize their certificates even if they don't practise like pharmacists do in naija

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 10, 2019
One ends with Acology, while the other one ends with Acy undecided
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by lexy2014: 10:17am On Dec 10, 2019
Simplyleo:

Thanks.

Any time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by 0monnak0da: 10:41am On Dec 10, 2019
Tastemoney:
Pharmacology is just one of the six branches of Pharmacy.

Pharmacology is NOT a branch of Pharamacy
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by FeedbackNG: 10:47am On Dec 10, 2019
Pharmacy is a professional field and area of study, while pharmacology is the science pertaining to the effects of drugs on the body

If you are a Nigerian student in any polytechnic, university or college of education, sign up on FSL platform to gain access to exclusive scholarships, SIWES opportunities, Weekly giveaways and more.

Register Here: https://www.feedbackstrategy.net/registration.php

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by itsene: 10:50am On Dec 10, 2019
Applied and Experimental Organic Chemistry.
That's the difference.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by CarlsJaz567(m): 10:51am On Dec 10, 2019
AreaFada2:
Simple Explanation:

Pharmacy: a professional occupation able to formulate, prepare, prescribe and dispense drugs to treat illness.
Pharmacology: a basic science about how the body affects drugs when taken and how the body also affects/transform drugs.

A pharmacist can sail into the sunset after their first degree (with the usual post-grad training mandated by the regulatory body) and practice until retirement. A pharmacologist often need an MSc or even PhD to be relevant in science.

Very different dear.

If she wants a professional course, radiography is a good option.

Or if you have the funds, after her BSc in Pharmacology, she can do the 2 years M.Parm degree in Australia to qualify as a pharmacist.

Just has been pointed out above, the OP's sister can go ahead and convert to Pharmacy at Postgraduate level (M.Pharm) after completion of her B.Sc Pharmacology degree.

Of course, she has to ensure that she has good grades in all the key prerequisite courses, so as to be considered for such academic/professional programme. An example is found in this link https://www.uwa.edu.au/study/how-to-apply/health-and-medical-sciences-applications/grad-entry-pharmacy.

There should also be sufficient funds for such a venture since she would be an international student in Australia...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by arinzos(m): 10:51am On Dec 10, 2019
0monnak0da:

Pharmacology is NOT a branch of Pharamacy
Then its what?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Orpe7(m): 10:53am On Dec 10, 2019
Google would have helped u
Or a text book
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Gemineye: 10:53am On Dec 10, 2019
scarffield:
My kidsis chose pharmacy as first choice at unilag but was given pharmacology.....

Please house, is there any significant difference between pharmacy and pharmacology and which of them thrives better in Nigeria
Big difference
No body should sugar coat anything
She should go for pharmacy again
She shouldn't make the mistake of knowing the difference after graduating from pharmacology

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by midnighter(f): 11:06am On Dec 10, 2019
Pharmacy will thrive more than pharmacology because it is a vocational, professional course.

Nigeria is experiencing mind-numbing unemployment and we do not value research around here. A pharmacologist or any type of pure scientist is already sailing against the wind.

A pharmacist is better off.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Coldfeets: 11:07am On Dec 10, 2019
Dreiwizzy:
What's the difference between geography and geographic?

The difference is National Geographic. cool

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by midnighter(f): 11:13am On Dec 10, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

I meant more of, pharmacologists don't know about dosages.

Pharmacologists definitely know about dosages.

How will they understand anything relating to drugs if they dont understand dosages?

Thats one of the first things they learn.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by midnighter(f): 11:21am On Dec 10, 2019
Jaysleeves:
The Educational system in Nigeria needs restructuring and overhauling. Especially that of tertiary institutions, there are many courses that are of less or next to zero productivity in Nigeria.
Please for the younger ones don't make mistakes we made. For in Nigeria if it's not Medical professional courses. E.g Medicine, pharmacy and co. Please don't study, Allied or Basic medical Courses na scam for Naija.

Pure science courses are not unproductive. If people would stop embezzling and eating the money meant for up-to-date lab equipment and serious research, scientists would have a leg to stand on.

In our miles upon miles of beautiful, dense forest, do you know the amount of compounds we are supposed to have isolated by now Do you know how many diseases we could have cured by now, if only we took ourselves serious?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Petitediva10(f): 11:44am On Dec 10, 2019
proudly pharmacologist
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 10, 2019
midnighter:

Pure science courses are not unproductive. If people would stop embezzling and eating the money meant for up-to-date lab equipment and serious research, scientists would have a leg to stand on.

In our miles upon miles of beautiful, dense forest, do you know the amount of compounds we are supposed to have isolated by now Do you know how many diseases we could have cured by now, if only we took ourselves serious?

I picked the word “isolate” from ur comment... I hope I’m not being fallacious ...,..what level and kind of scientist are you...?? Im looking for a brain to pick
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by johnisaola(m): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2019
The different between pharmacy and pharmacology is,pharmacy end with CY, while pharmacology end with cology ,thank u
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by palmshots: 12:13pm On Dec 10, 2019
arinzos:

On a Normal Standard.. Nobody Prescribe Drugs Except the Medical Doctors.

You are wrong...In a normal setting There is Doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) He also prescribes drugs
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by midnighter(f): 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2019
1StopRudeness:

I picked the word “isolate” from ur comment... I hope I’m not being fallacious ...,..what level and kind of scientist are you...?? Im looking for a brain to pick

Lol you are not fallacious, yet neither am I forthcoming with such info! What are you looking for inside my brain tongue
Re: What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 10, 2019
midnighter:

Lol you are not fallacious, yet neither am I forthcoming with such info! What are you looking for inside my brain tongue

So that I don’t stress u with much info..are u cool with research in the area of mitochondria-mediated apoptosis with respect aberration of anti-apoptotic proteins as an exploitative window for cancer therapy...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Visit To The University Of Nigeria (pics, Video) / Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities / Nnamdi Ezeigbo Bags Doctorate Degree At ABSU Convocation, Face Of Slot Hails Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.