Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,626 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? (3441 Views)

N100 Daily Tax: Kano Keke Riders Begin Indefinite Strike, As People Climb Trucks / Is Tax Clearance Compulsory For UK Visa Application / Is Canadian Express Entry A Calculated Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by partnerbizn4(m): 11:10am On Dec 10, 2019
How is tax calculated abroad please

truthsayer009:

Wait, are you sure Dubai is tax free? Like completely tax free? For Real? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I just checked oh, It's true. JESUS!!! People are earning $5,000 dollars in US & paying like 30% for Tax.

In Germany Tax is 42% to 45%, that means if you earn 5,000 Euros monthly. You only take home around 2700 Euros.

I swear, this is crazy yo!!!!

Oga, tax is graduated. If they say you earn 1m and pay tax of 50%, it doesn't mean you pay 500k as tax.

In that 50% tax, first 5% is different, etc

2 Likes

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by nlPoster: 11:12am On Dec 10, 2019
The info should be on google.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 10, 2019
partnerbizn4:
How is tax calculated abroad please

[s]Oga, tax is graduated. If they say you earn 1m and pay tax of 50%, it doesn't mean you pay 500k as tax.

In that 50% tax, first 5% is different, etc[/s]

I don't want to argue with you too much. Let me just paste this below here, using Germany as an example.

Individual income tax in Germany: 2019 rates
Income tax in Germany is progressive: first, income tax rates start at 14%, then they rise incrementally to 42%; last, very high income levels are taxed at 45%. The top tax rate of 42% applies to taxable income above €50k. Finally, for taxable income above €265,327, a 45% tax is applicable.

In addition to income tax, everyone has to pay solidarity tax, which is capped at 5.5% of your income tax.

Finally, if you are a member of a registered church in Germany, you will also have to pay a church tax of 8 or 9% of your income, depending on which federal state you live in.

For you to live well & save enough money after paying rent & other bills in Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich because that's where the jobs are. For example, you need to actually Earn around €50k. If not, you will just be working like a Slave, no savings.

I have added a screenshot for you to see that 42% tax is actually almost half your salary.

If you still want to argue, go through this thread on Quora.
Reference: https://www.quora.com/How-sufficient-is-50-000-Euro-annual-gross-salary-for-a-single-person-in-Germany

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2019
Tax rates in some cities in US like San Francisco, California also crazy. Other cities in USA like Seattle pay lesser on Taxes.

Canada has theirs too, I have little information about it. I would not delve into those areas.

You can research about this things on Google instead of discrediting people upandan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by partnerbizn4(m): 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

I don't want to argue with you too much. Let me just paste this below here, using Germany as an example.

Individual income tax in Germany: 2019 rates
Income tax in Germany is progressive: first, income tax rates start at 14%, then they rise incrementally to 42%; last, very high income levels are taxed at 45%. The top tax rate of 42% applies to taxable income above €50k. Finally, for taxable income above €265,327, a 45% tax is applicable.

In addition to income tax, everyone has to pay solidarity tax, which is capped at 5.5% of your income tax.

Finally, if you are a member of a registered church in Germany, you will also have to pay a church tax of 8 or 9% of your income, depending on which federal state you live in.

For you to live well & save enough money after paying rent & other bills in Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich because that's where the jobs are. For example, you need to actually Earn around €50k. If not, you will just be working like a Slave, no savings.

I have added a screenshot for you to see that 42% tax is actually almost half your salary.

If you still want to argue, go through this thread on Quora.
Reference: https://www.quora.com/How-sufficient-is-50-000-Euro-annual-gross-salary-for-a-single-person-in-Germany
I am not arguing sir.
I am avid for more info.

I just need to learn sir.

Could you check this link?

https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes

THE QUESTION IS

If Jonathan earns 1m dollars and tax is said to be 50%, will Jonathan pay 500k dollars as tax?

2 Likes

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by partnerbizn4(m): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2019
lionlee216 justwise erico2k2 canadaorbust timesup234 mikkyangel areafada
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2019
partnerbizn4:

I am not arguing sir.
I am avid for more info.

THE QUESTION IS

If Jonathan earns 1m dollars and tax is said to be 50%, will Jonathan pay 500k dollars as tax?

NO

1 Like

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 10, 2019
partnerbizn4:

I am not arguing sir.
I am avid for more info.

Lol i am not old, I am still very young. please stop calling me sir biko.

Using the link you sent me for USA Taxes, for a salary of $87,701 in San Francisco, you would get $63,398 take home pay. This means you payed about 25% to 27% (Correct me If I'm wrong by this calculation). State & Federal taxes inclusive.

Don't also forget that Tax varies state to state in the US as opposed to some other countries where Taxes can be the similar for all cities.

25 to 27% is still a lot, but much much smaller than some countries like Germany.

2 Likes

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 12:37pm On Dec 10, 2019
partnerbizn4:
lionlee216
justwise
erico2k2
canadaorbust
timesup234
mikkyangel
areafada
in the UK we have what we call a tax code, this is the amount of money you need to earn above in order to pay tax If you earn below this amount you won't pay any tax. The max tax u can pay as a salary earner in the UK is 40% these are for those earning above 40k and it's only applicable to the overspill of the 40k ie 41K U will pay 40% on 1k. If you earn anything from 15k to 40k and your tax code is 1171, this means your taxation would be calculated withing 40k-1171. However, if you do not have a tax code yet ie you just started a new job etc you will be taxed at a basic rate(BR) which is flat 20%.Everyone's tax code is different, married people with families are different from single and young people!.So for those of you thinking 50% is going to be taken from your earned monies I say this stop speculating and assuming, ask people who live, work and earn in them cities for the right Info to boost your knowledge.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by nlPoster: 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2019
It's always about USA.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by partnerbizn4(m): 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

NO
Could you elucidate on this please.

Its seems truthsayer009 has not caught my drift.

I am not bothered about the max percentage. All I am saying is that it's graduated.

For instance the person earning 1m dollars and 50% tax may pay

1st 100k dollars 10%
2nd 100k dollars 15%
3rd 100k dollars 18% etc

down till the 50%

Is that correct?
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 12:40pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

Lol i am not old, I am still very young. please stop calling me sir biko.

Using the link you sent me for USA Taxes, for a salary of $87,701 in San Francisco, you would get $63,398 take home pay. This means you payed about 25% to 27% (Correct me If I'm wrong by this calculation). State & Federal taxes inclusive.

Don't also forget that Tax varies state to state in the US as opposed to some other countries where Taxes can be the similar for all cities.

25 to 27% is still a lot, but much much smaller than in some countries like Germany.
you are still wrong, there is a threshold where the higher tax comes into play ask people who live in the US
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 12:40pm On Dec 10, 2019
partnerbizn4:

Could you elucidate on this please.

Its seems truthsayer009 has not caught my drift.

I am not bothered about the max percentage. All I am saying is that it's graduated.

For instance the person earning 1m dollars and 50% tax may pay

1st 100k dollars 10%
2nd 100k dollars 15%
3rd 100k dollars 18% etc

down till the 50%

Is that correct?

Check my earlier responce!
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by partnerbizn4(m): 12:41pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

in the UK we have what we call a tax code, this is the amount of money you need to earn above in order to pay tax If you earn below this amount you won't pay any tax. The max tax u can pay as a salary earner in the UK is 40% these are for those earning above 40k and it's only applicable to the overspill of the 40k ie 41K U will pay 40% on 1k. If you earn anything from 15k to 40k and your tax code is 1171, this means your taxation would be calculated withing 40k-1171. However, if you do not have a tax code yet ie you just started a new job etc you will be taxed at a basic rate(BR) which is flat 20%.Everyone's tax code is different, married people with families are different from single and young people!.So for those of you thinking 50% is going to be taken from your earned monies I say this stop speculating and assuming, ask people who live, work and earn in them cities for the right Info to boost your knowledge.

Just saw this now.
Thanks.

cc Truthsayer009
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by partnerbizn4(m): 12:46pm On Dec 10, 2019
mackynaija teecann evablaze acadollar basalt bellong fatima04
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by nlPoster: 12:49pm On Dec 10, 2019
partnerbizn4:
mackynaija
teecann
evablaze
acadollar
basalt
bellong
fatima04

undecided

When I talked, they said I was talking.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

you are still wrong, there is a threshold where the higher tax comes into play ask people who live in the US

I do not know the threshold you speak of, I use Germany as my underlying example.
I already explained the higher tax comes with the different income pay itself in my first post by showing you people who earn above 50k Euros pay a different TAX.

Below: Income tax in Germany is progressive: first, income tax rates start at 14%, then they rise incrementally to 42%; last, very high income levels are taxed at 45%. The top tax rate of 42% applies to taxable income above €50k. Finally, for taxable income above €265,327, a 45% tax is applicable.

The issue is, for you to live comfortably well in some countries & SAVE MONEY. You need to earn a certain amount, which is in-between the higher tax pay around 50k for example in Germany, then you will be taxed differently.

Also earning above 50k gives you some benefits that people who earn less than do not get. For examples like Blue Card in Germany.
I cannot leave Nigeria & travel to other countries to earn peanut.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 12:54pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

I do not know the threshold you speak of, I use Germany as my underlying example.
I already explained the higher tax comes with the different income pay itself in my first post by showing you people who earn above 50k Euros pay a different TAX.

The issue is, for you to live comfortably well in some countries & SAVE MONEY. You need to earn a certain amount, which is in-between the higher tax pay around 50k for example in Germany, then you will be taxed differently.

Also earning above 50k gives you some benefits that people who earn less than do not get. For examples like Blue Card in Germany.
I cannot leave Nigeria & travel to other countries to earn peanut.
The Tax regime in the whole of the EU is the same, the 50K you are talking about will only accommodate the spillage from the figures above lower pay.I need to ask you this simple question.DO YOU LIVE AND EARN SALARY IN GERMANY??
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

The Tax regime in the whole of the EU is the same, the 50K you are talking about will only accommodate the spillage from the figures above lower pay.I need to ask you this simple question.DO YOU LIVE AND EARN SALARY IN GERMANY??

I live in Germany as an Msc student & I also work remotely, more than 20 hours per week under the disguise of a full time work. That's is between me & my employer.

I have friends about 5, who work here in Berlin Full time Software Engineering jobs & they earn around 5,000 Euros monthly. 1,900 is being deducted from heir earnings monthly leaving a balance of 3,100 Euros.

I won't say more than this on this thread. Bye.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by swip88: 1:08pm On Dec 10, 2019
You can always get a tax back. I used to travel to Europe (Germany, Austria, Poland) and always get it in a special service at the customs. I am going to travel to Ukraine now, Lviv https://mtourism.com.ua/en/excursion-to-lviv-en-1 and suppose to combine this trip with Warshaw. Poland and Ukraine are having a mostly similar culture, so it will be interesting to travel there.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by dustydee: 1:16pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

You got a lot of the information you posted above wrong. Highest tax rate in the UK is 45%, which is for those who earn above £150k. 40% rate starts at £50001. Also your tax code depends on several factors and is not 1171 for everyone that earn within the range you posted.
Op, 50% does not translate to half but the higher you earn, the closer to half the tax is. For example, if you earn £200k pounds, tax is at 45% which is roughly £73k in taxes minus NI. This is roughly 36% tax. But if you earn £1m, that Vue is close to 43% minus NI.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by TrueNigerian300: 1:28pm On Dec 10, 2019
It seems most Nigerians have problem with taxes and the problem is that we want to enjoy what they enjoy in the above mentioned countries without paying the price.The good roads you all see in Europe and America where do you think the money to build them is coming from ? The quality health system, the walfare and all where is the money that cater for all these coming from??
Just so you know nobody likes to pay taxes but it is the price of the good infrastracture you all enjoy in Europe.We want our country to be like Europe but we have problem paying taxes.Later everybody will wail that the leaders are the problem of the country.Stop dreaming if we dont have a tax system like they do we are not moving anywhere.

4 Likes

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:34pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

I live in Germany as an Msc student & I also work remotely, more than 20 hours per week under the disguise of a full time work. That's is between me & my employer.

I have friends about 5, who work here in Berlin Full time Software Engineering jobs & they earn around 5,000 Euros monthly. 1,900 is being deducted from heir earnings monthly leaving a balance of 3,100 Euros.

I won't say more than this on this thread. Bye.
Bro you know little or nothing about working and paying TAX in Germany!

The threshold in Germany is 9000 Euro
so anything above 9000 EUR is 14% up till 54950 EUR
Anything above 54950 ie 54951 EUR the 1EUR is taxed @ 42% (Max personal income tax)while the remain 54950-900 is taxed at 14%
An increased tax rate of 45 percent applies to every euro in excess of earnings of EUR 260,532 per year.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by lionlee216(m): 1:35pm On Dec 10, 2019
When I worked with Lufthansa airline in 2018, I was getting 14$/hr and I made 570$/weekly without tax. After tax, my take home was 471$ after tax. I was doing over time at $21/he and when there is any holiday in US, If I show up at work, I was making 35$/hr.

Long story short, I only showed up at work during holiday twice and did overtime 3 times during my entire stay at Lufthansa.. I didn't subscribe to any of the benefits especially medicals.

I made exactly 10,777$ before tax before I quit and when I filed my tax return this year Jan, I got back $853.

I hope this helps

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:46pm On Dec 10, 2019
dustydee:

You got a lot of the information you posted above wrong. Highest tax rate in the UK is 45%, which is for those who earn above £150k. 40% rate starts at £50001. Also your tax code depends on several factors and is not 1171 for everyone that earn within the range you posted.
Op, 50% does not translate to half but the higher you earn, the closer to half the tax is. For example, if you earn £200k pounds, tax is at 45% which is roughly £73k in taxes minus NI. This is roughly 36% tax. But if you earn £1m, that Vue is close to 43% minus NI.
This is what happens when you read from google or chose to not read and understand what a person post, where did I say everyone's tax code is 1171? How many people do you know who ern above 100K as salary in the UK? Look guy please go back and read what I wrote again and re-post a response!
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

Bro you know little or nothing about working and paying TAX in Germany!

The threshold in Germany is 9000 Euro
so anything above 9000 EUR is 14% up till 54950 EUR
Anything above 54950 ie 54951 EUR the 1EUR is taxed @ 42% (Max personal income tax)while the remain 54950-900 is taxed at 14%
An increased tax rate of 45 percent applies to every euro in excess of earnings of EUR 260,532 per year.

What you wrote isn't new. It is written all over Google.

I said my friends earn around 5k Euros, that's 60k+ per annum. Doesn't that fall more than 54951? & they get 1,900 removed from their pay.

You don't work in Germany, neither do you live there. But you have all the info. Alright.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:48pm On Dec 10, 2019
swip88:
You can always get a tax back. I used to travel to Europe (Germany, Austria, Poland) and always get it in a special service at the customs. I am going to travel to Ukraine now, Lviv https://mtourism.com.ua/en/excursion-to-lviv-en-1 and suppose to combine this trip with Warshaw. Poland and Ukraine are having a mostly similar culture, so it will be interesting to travel there.
Not true, if you are a salary earner ie PAYE and you have not been over taxed you aint getting nothing back! if you are not even lucky it would be you owing them!
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:49pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

I said my friends earn around 5k Euros, that's 60k+ per annum. Doesn't that fall more than 54951? & they get 1,900 removed from their pay.

You don't work in Germany, neither do you live there. But you have all the info. Alright.
I have worked all over the EU, I have spent the last 20 years of my life working all over the EU
But these days London is my BASE
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

I have worked all over the EU, I have spent the last 20 years of my life working all over the EU

Congratulations, the tax rates in EU differ from country to country. for example, the Tax rates in Sweden is much different.

Have you worked in Germany? No.

See the way you called EU like It's one country like Westerns calling Africa a country instead of a continent.

Every thing you wrote there is what you curled from Google, I am here & facing the reality, NOT YOU.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:52pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

So if ur friend earn 60K plus the higher regime would be taxed after 60k-9000-5491.the remain would be the only part taxed at higher rate and it dosnt reflect the figures you quote, Im sure U are smart enough to do the maths,It dnt add up mate!
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 10, 2019
erico2k2:

So if ur friend earn 60K plus the higher regime would be taxed after 60k-9000-5491.the remain would be the only part taxed at higher rate and it dosnt reflect the figures you quote, Im sure U are smart enough to do the maths,It dnt add up mate!

Okay.
Re: How Is Tax Calculated Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 2:01pm On Dec 10, 2019
truthsayer009:

Congratulations, the tax rates in EU differ from country to country. for example, the Tax rates in Sweden is much different.

Have you worked in Germany? No.

See the way you called EU like It's one country like Westerns calling Africa a country instead of a continent.

Every thing you wrote there is what you curled from Google, I am here & facing the reality, NOT YOU.
Like seriously

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dana Air Plane Just Crashed Outside Lagos Airport / Coldest Place On Earth Where You Breath In And Die - Photos / Help On Relocating To The Gambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.