Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source (9331 Views)

Is This Not AROCHUKWU KINGS? Who Is OGANE To The East Of Bini? / What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa / The History Of Arochukwu (abia State) And The Infamous Long Juju Shrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by BabaRamota1980: 5:53am On Jan 09, 2020
I always knew igbos are Bantu
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 10, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
I always knew igbos are Bantu
Well that's good, if you say so.
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by chimezieeze98: 7:56am On Jan 15, 2020

1 Like

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by lastempero: 10:06am On Mar 22, 2020
letu:
Have you heard the term Igbo Erei (Igbo did not sale) the people that came up with the term, despite how unique their language is and the similarity with orther Igbo language these people still didn't identify or addres themselves by the name Igbo rather they choose to go by a different name and choose to address nde Around as nde Igbo only for the British to come and do the needful by merging everybody together under the name Igbo a name associated with Aro people while others didn't in the past/colonialism.

Do u mean igbo from okeigbo?
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by lastempero: 11:48am On Mar 22, 2020
OMANBALA1:
No Aro man can make these ridiculous claim in the presence of any historian...quite comical
I have been to Igbo events in Houston and Aro dare not stand up ,talk less of taking a Kola....we know who that privilege is reserved for!

My brother thats why aro man doesnt even like talking about stuffs like this in public but if you grandfather is still alive or any elderly man in your village, he will explain further
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 22, 2020
lastempero:

My brother thats why aro man doesnt even like talking q out stuffs like this in public but if you grandfather is still alive or an elderly man in your village, he will explain further
Gbam!!! grin
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by Alabo7978(m): 7:05am On May 25, 2022
Scottallen:

Many Igbo groups have origins from outside Alaigbo. I believe you are not more knowledgeable than Idigo, an Aguleri native. You can go through the different books cited by the author. There's nothing wrong with having an Igala origin. Just don't deny it.

We don't hate the Igalas. Just own up to your origin. The Oguta, Onitsha, Egbema, Aboh, Abiriba, and the rest own up to having origin outside Alaigbo. It takes nothing away from them. Many of them are proud Igbos still.
Oguta came from kalabari-izon
egbema from the western izon fringes
Onitsha came from Benin
Aboh are a mixture of itshekiri, izon, Benin.
ABRIBA are from ibibio.
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by RedboneSmith(m): 3:14pm On May 25, 2022
Alabo7978:

Oguta came from kalabari-izon
egbema from the western izon fringes.

Who told you this?
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by Alabo7978(m): 8:34pm On May 25, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Who told you this?
It is known ofcourse.
The Egbema people say they migrated from outside Ala'igbo, the Egbema clan in Western Ijaw is where they came from
Same as the oguta people who pride themselves as Oru-igbo.

These people due to the need to trade directly with the igbos who had thick forests where maize, rice, palm oil, yams and other cash crops are grown settled up close.. They lost their dialect as a result of this; being far away from their kin and more closer to foreigners.
The original oguta people migrated back to calabari at the eve of the civil war.
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by RedboneSmith(m): 12:07am On May 26, 2022
Alabo7978:

It is known ofcourse.
The Egbema people say they migrated from outside Ala'igbo, the Egbema clan in Western Ijaw is where they came from
Same as the oguta people who pride themselves as Oru-igbo.

Known by who? Ijaw nationalists?

From your moniker I can tell you are Ijaw. It is hardly surprising that you would make these unfounded claims, given your ethnic persuasion and what is known of your people's not-so-subtle expansionist agenda.

Now while Egbema and Oguta do indeed mention migrations from outside Igboland in their traditions, neither of them points to Ijawland. They point to Benin.
Oru-Igbo doesn't mean Ijaw. I am aware that you people seem to think that Oru points exclusively to Ijaw origin, but along the Niger, Olu or Oru simply means a riverine clan, whether they be Igbo, Ijaw or Igala. The term is geographic and nothing more.

No Egbema or Oguta source mentions Ijawland as a point of origin. It's only on Ijaw-centric, Ijaw expansionist, Ijaw nationalistic sites that these lies are peddled.

1 Like

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by DitariDisciple2: 12:19am On May 26, 2022
RedboneSmith:

From your moniker I can tell you are Ijaw. It is hardly surprising that you would make these unfounded claims, given your ethnic persuasion and what is known of your people's not-so-subtle expansionist agenda.

Now while Egbema and Oguta do indeed mention migrations from outside Igboland in their traditions, neither of them points to Ijawland. They point to Benin.
Oru-Igbo doesn't mean Ijaw. I am aware that you people seem to think that Oru points exclusively to Ijaw origin, but along the Niger, Olu or Oru simply means a riverine clan, whether they be Igbo, Ijaw or Igala. The term is geographic and nothing more.

No Egbema or Oguta source mentions Ijawland as a point of origin. It's only on Ijaw-centric, Ijaw expansionist, Ijaw nationalistic sites that these lies are peddled.

Both Oguta and Egbema are acculturated Ijaws.
Must you be tribalistic with everything?
Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by ChinenyeN(m): 5:47am On May 26, 2022
As the years go by, I’ve found it increasingly funny when Nigerians make mention about how a community lost its language or dialect over a 300 - 500 year timespan. The reason I find this funny, especially for us in the Lower Niger region, is due to the plethora of dialects that exist in our area.

300 - 500 years is not enough to wipe out Defaka dialect, despite being overwhelmingly outnumbered by Ijo.

300 - 500 years is not enough to wipe out Obulom dialect, despite being so small that they are considered a minority within a minority (Okrika).

300 - 500 years has not been enough to wipe out Ogoni dialect despite the fact that they trade so heavily with Ijo.

1000+ years has not been enough time to wipe out Obolo dialect despite their extensive history with the overseas trade and relations with both Igbo, Ijo, Ibibio and Central Delta.

YET, when it comes to Igbo, suddenly a community is susceptible to losing their language and dialect.

If there is one thing that the linguistic situation in the Lower Niger has shown us, it is this:

Unless you are so infinitesimally small that you go unnoticed, it is unlikely that your community will lose its language or dialect within a 300 - 500 or even 1000 year timeframe. Instead, what we witness are untold levels of multilingualism in the Lower Niger. However, all communities have a primary dialect and it is likely that they have had that dialect for at least 300 - 500 or even 1000+ years.

So what am I saying? That Oguta is Igbo-speaking primarily suggests that they did not acculturate within the last 300 - 500 years. Rather, it is more than likely that has been their language and dialect perhaps for 1000+ years now. Any suggestion to the contrary simply cannot be supported by the linguistic situation in the Lower Niger, unless there are oral traditions to corroborate it.

And to the best of my knowledge, Oguta has no oral traditions to corroborate an Ijo affiliation (as in a migration from the Central or Western Delta). There are likely some Oguta wards that did, but as a community in it’s entirety, Oguta itself has offered no such traditions to corroborate an Ijo affiliation, to the best of my knowledge. Please furnish it, if you have seen it.

1 Like

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by RedboneSmith(m): 8:29am On May 26, 2022
DitariDisciple2:

Both Oguta and Egbema are acculturated Ijaws.
Must you be tribalistic with everything?

Nonsense.

Let me see a reference. And don't bring a nationalistic Ijaw website. There are scores of those floating around online.

2 Likes

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by Alabo7978(m): 9:57am On May 26, 2022
RedboneSmith:

I'm not an expansionist, I don't have time for that however go and consult books written by the very first Europeans who touched down at West Africa (Portuguese, Brits,) We were known as Oru or ijo by them and were called UMU-ORU by our Igbo neighbors who we battered dried, fish, periwinkles, salt and all other sea foods for yams, rice, maize and oil.
just like the word "Mamacita" is known wildly even by Chinese to mean a beautiful young woman, but that word is Spanish, so you trying to make "Oru" a general word doesn't hold water when you haven't even tried to research the Genesis of such word, visit maps made by Europeans from as recent as the 1800s, you'd see the area you now call ijaw was mapped "ORU"
consult old materials and know for yourself. no one wants to expand to anywhere because these people have lost their dialect and have been enculturated. Ask yourself why they greet with "imbana" which originally is "imbanua" instead of nde'wo or isalachi or ibolachi of the igbos who are most closer to them
ask yourself why the oguta people usually in those days call on Chiefs from the ijaw clan of kalabari to come and settle disputes, ask yourself why at the eve of the civil war the oguta people went back to kalabari??

see my brother, no one wants to expand, I don't converse with young people, I prefer old people just to gain knowledge and wisdom from them. Go as far up to the north East in Demsa LGA of Adamawa, you'd see ijaw people but luckily these people still maintain 80% of their Language and answer ijaw names and there was a poll casted amongst them if they wanted to return to their ancient land, majority agreed. so my brother, no one is expanding anything, if not for trading purpose, no one will migrate to a particular location. Ijaw people have been navigating the waterways for a thousand years atleast, some kept their culture and heritage, some lost it to the people they settled with.

2 Likes

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by Alabo7978(m): 12:44pm On May 26, 2022
ChinenyeN:
As the years go by, I’ve found it increasingly funny when Nigerians make mention about how a community lost its language or dialect over a 300 - 500 year timespan. The reason I find this funny, especially for us in the Lower Niger region, is due to the plethora of dialects that exist in our area.

300 - 500 years is not enough to wipe out Defaka dialect, despite being overwhelmingly outnumbered by Ijo.

300 - 500 years is not enough to wipe out Obulom dialect, despite being so small that they are considered a minority within a minority (Okrika).

300 - 500 years has not been enough to wipe out Ogoni dialect despite the fact that they trade so heavily with Ijo.

1000+ years has not been enough time to wipe out Obolo dialect despite their extensive history with the overseas trade and relations with both Igbo, Ijo, Ibibio and Central Delta.

YET, when it comes to Igbo, suddenly a community is susceptible to losing their language and dialect.

If there is one thing that the linguistic situation in the Lower Niger has shown us, it is this:

Unless you are so infinitesimally small that you go unnoticed, it is unlikely that your community will lose its language or dialect within a 300 - 500 or even 1000 year timeframe. Instead, what we witness are untold levels of multilingualism in the Lower Niger. However, all communities have a primary dialect and it is likely that they have had that dialect for at least 300 - 500 or even 1000+ years.

So what am I saying? That Oguta is Igbo-speaking primarily suggests that they did not acculturate within the last 300 - 500 years. Rather, it is more than likely that has been their language and dialect perhaps for 1000+ years now. Any suggestion to the contrary simply cannot be supported by the linguistic situation in the Lower Niger, unless there are oral traditions to corroborate it.

And to the best of my knowledge, Oguta has no oral traditions to corroborate an Ijo affiliation (as in a migration from the Central or Western Delta). There are likely some Oguta wards that did, but as a community in it’s entirety, Oguta itself has offered no such traditions to corroborate an Ijo affiliation, to the best of my knowledge. Please furnish it, if you have seen it.
it is very possible for a language to be wiped out even within a shorter time frame than your 300-500 years. look at the Apoi people whom are ijaw but many of them speak and feel Yoruba more in their heart.
Me for example, I was born outside ijaw territories, my whole life was outside ijaw land and I found it difficult to speak my Nembe dialect. leaving closer or in Igbo land and having more Igbo friends made me more fluent in Igbo including their exclamations like "nna ehn" "chineke nna" I usually found myself saying these things unconsciously amongst my many cousins whom stayed in ijaw TERRITORIES like yenagoa, etc and they'd laugh at me and call me Igbo boy, e dey pain me and it made me begin to teach myself my dialect with YouTube, PDF's etc
I got influenced by where I grew up and that was the same thing that happened to the Ndoki people who settled where they settled and in a few generations their dialect left them. so my brother it is very possible for a dialect to dissapear. Oru Igbo people even use the mode of greeting of the ijaw people and I see no reason why they should have "Oru" attached to their name just like your own Igbo clan attach the "ngwa" to their other extension (Aba-ngwa, osisioma-ngwa, ukwa-ngwa)

1 Like

Re: The Original History Of Arochukwu... From The Exact Source by RedboneSmith(m): 1:28pm On May 27, 2022
Mods, bigfrancis21, Fulaman, Odumchi. Could you please unhide my comment here that was hidden by the spambot. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Africa Is Not Primitive, We Just Prefer Our Ways - Charity Ekezie (Video) / Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas / *~ Ifyalways Voted Culture Section Poster Of 2012*~ Congratulations!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.