Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months (1371 Views)

Okorocha: I Became Poorer Being A Governor / Low-Key Celebration Of “Nigeria At 60” To Last 12 Months / Osinbajo: 'Buhari Poorer Now Compared To 2015' - Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by TheOutlaw: 9:11am On Dec 13, 2019
A new survey report has shown that as much as 44 per cent of Nigerian households (HHs) were unable to eat a healthy and nutritious/preferred food due to lack of money within the last 12 months of 2019.

[img]https://images./7nDAcw40dPNXj4GUKrS0iK.jpg[/img]

It also indicated that 21 per cent of Nigerian households (HHs) were hungry and did not eat because of lack of money in the last 30 days.

The report is part of findings from the National General Household Survey (NGHS) recently released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) in collaboration with the World Bank.

Specifically, the NBS observed that 32 per cent of Nigerian households (HHs) faced food shortages within the last 12 months of the NGHS, with August ticking as the month where food shortage was most experienced (40% of Households) and February lowest at 13 per cent of HHs.

Further breakdown of the report showed that among the regions in Nigeria, households in South-South experienced food shortage the most at 43 per cent of HHs. In the South East, 42.8 per cent of households and 31 per cent in the North East experienced food shortage.

The same 31 per cent of households in the South West, 26 per cent of households in the North West and 17 per cent of households in the North Central experienced food shortage in the last one year.

Further findings showed that for 30 days preceding the survey visits, 27 per cent had to skip a meal because of lack of money.

However, the most common shocks to households increased in food prices, an increase in the price of inputs, flooding and theft of crops, cash, livestock or other property.

The NBS noted that 10 per cent of households received safety net assistance and food is the common form of safety net assistance received.

According to the National Bureau of Statistics, households were also asked about their experience with food security and their history of shocks.

It revealed that the percentage of households reporting a food shortage has increased exponentially from 11.1 per cent in 2012/13, to 19.6 per cent in 2015/16, and in 2018/19, 31.6 per cent.

The biggest risk of food insecurity, according to the report, was experienced in the months of July and August.

44 per cent of households reported being unable to eat healthy and nutritious/preferred foods because of lack of money, while 41.3 per cent ate only a few kinds of foods because of lack of money.

The NBS further disclosed that an increase in the price of food items consumed was the most prevalent shock, with 18.5 per cent affirming to this. Most households, 68.8 per cent, when faced with some form of shock, “did nothing” to cope with the shock.

The Nigerian General Household Survey (GHS) is implemented in collaboration with the World Bank Living Standards Measurement Study (LSMS) team as part of the Integrated Surveys on Agriculture (ISA) program and was revised in 2010 to include a panel component (GHS-Panel).

The objectives of the GHS-Panel include the development of an innovative model for collecting agricultural data, inter-institutional collaboration, and comprehensive analysis of welfare indicators and socioeconomic characteristics.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/no-money-no-healthy-food-for-44-nigerians-in-12-months-nbs/

Mynd44 OAM4J Lalasticlala Dominique Obinoscopy Seun
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by xelly: 9:15am On Dec 13, 2019
Sai Buhari. Next level thing
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by TheOutlaw: 9:17am On Dec 13, 2019
Man I tell you the guy is a monumental liar and fraudster

xelly:
Sai Buhari. Next level thing
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by oyebanji44: 9:20am On Dec 13, 2019
I hate to see or hear that the people from the Eastern part of nigeria are suffering Cos they had suffered most before.But why now?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Racoon(m): 9:20am On Dec 13, 2019
This government have won another wrong award for Nigeria.Continue! sad

6 Likes

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by TheExecutioner: 9:21am On Dec 13, 2019
Oya Simplyleo, Omenka, Ngeneukwenu, Sarrki etc, I hope you have prepared and coordinated your BMC lies before storming this thread? grin

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Racoon(m): 9:22am On Dec 13, 2019
TheExecutioner:
Oya Simplyleo, Omenka, Ngeneukwenu, Sarrki etc, I hope you have prepared and coordinated your BMC lies before storming this thread? grin

3 Likes

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 13, 2019
And 41% are from the north.
North that has been ruling nigeria since independence.
North that has all the juicy appointments, most oil blocks, the so called richest man in Africa.
What a shame

7 Likes

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by omenka(m): 10:08am On Dec 13, 2019
TheExecutioner:
If they say so, who am I to dispute them. My only problem is with rookie wailers like you and the other person (he calls himself Racoon, and I wonder if he has any idea racoon is an animal hated by people in general because of its destructive tendency) who quoted you. If THIS SAME BODY posts stats that paints the government in a different light, y'all will rant and rave that it's propaganda.

It is the same way you view elections won by pdp and those won by APC. If it favours pdp, democracy is thriving, but once it favours APC, democracy is surely on death row or has been executed.

I dont like hypocrites bro.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by edoairways: 10:13am On Dec 13, 2019
I would love to see their methodological approach first before believing this report. It is easy to bombard the public with statistical results but difficult to explain how these results were derived, sourced and analyzed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Afolabimills(m): 10:25am On Dec 13, 2019
Life is not fine it's just so sad u work yet nothing to show for it d hausa fulanis have hijacked juicy positions it's no longer about professionalism it's about which tribe n religion n to think that it's getting worse is most worrisome from January till now we have lost 9of our staffs to high blood pressure sudden deaths no steady power supply no body to run to debt everywhere it's sad
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by IGBOSON1: 10:43am On Dec 13, 2019
You’re talking ‘change’ poverty!

Una never see anything! Just wait till ‘next level’ poverty kicks off in earnest....these will be years of prosperity and abundance in comparison! shocked

Ndi ara Nigerians! Una must get sense by force!

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by codedguy1(m): 11:19am On Dec 13, 2019
NBS no need tell us this one. We dey see am korokoro for area.
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by TheExecutioner: 11:22am On Dec 13, 2019
The problem is that nearly all those stats projecting your functional illiterate in a positive light are 99% of the time fabricated in the lying laboratory of a certain LIE MADHAMAD grin Or do you really expect us to believe the dull.ard when he opens his gutter mouth and tells us that he has lifted 20 million people out of poverty or that Boko Haram has been technically defeated?

omenka:
If they say so, who am I to dispute them. My only problem is with rookie wailers like you and the other person (he calls himself Racoon, and I wonder if he has any idea racoon is an animal hated by people in general because of its destructive tendency) who quoted you. If THIS SAME BODY posts stats that paints the government in a different light, y'all will rant and rave that it's propaganda.

It is the same way you view elections won by pdp and those won by APC. If it favours pdp, democracy is thriving, but once it favours APC, democracy is surely on death row or has been executed.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by mrvitalis(m): 11:39am On Dec 13, 2019
omenka:

So your point ...do we blame buhari or continue blaming jonathan

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by ContractKiller: 11:47am On Dec 13, 2019
The people you are trying to reason with are beyond redemption. A slave who was born into slavery and who doesn't know any other way of looking at life, will always claim that the chains he is wearing is actually jewelry.

TheExecutioner:
The problem is that nearly all those stats projecting your functional illiterate in a positive light are 99% of the time fabricated in the lying laboratory of a certain LIE MADHAMAD grin Or do you really expect us to believe the dull.ard when he opens his gutter mouth and tells us that he has lifted 20 million people out of poverty or that Boko Haram has been technically defeated?

5 Likes

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Mykel51(m): 11:48am On Dec 13, 2019
Afolabimills:
Life is not fine it's just so sad u work yet nothing to show for it d hausa fulanis have hijacked juicy positions it's no longer about professionalism it's about which tribe n religion n to think that it's getting worse is most worrisome from January till now we have lost 9of our staffs to high blood pressure sudden deaths no steady power supply no body to run to debt everywhere it's sad

Which firm do you work with sir ?

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by SarkinYarki: 11:54am On Dec 13, 2019
Buhari can never be a solution to anything , the man was born to make things worse ..well somehow under Buhari my quality of food has increased greatly , I now drink good mineral water imported form many different countries , eat grilled salmon daily , eat only super grains imported from everywhere ... I remain adamant that we who didn't vote Buhari will never be the victims of his incompetence #first5milliindollars loading

3 Likes

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by freeze001(f): 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2019
This is unfortunate.

According to the National Bureau of Statistics, households were also asked about their experience with food security and their history of shocks.

It revealed that the percentage of households reporting a food shortage has increased exponentially from 11.1 per cent in 2012/13, to 19.6 per cent in 2015/16, and in 2018/19, 31.6 per cent.

It is clear that despite the noises/lies/propaganda by this regime, they have recorded no real, national success in curbing food scarcity and ensuring food security. In fact if nothing else, they have worsened the lot of the Southern region with the steady onslaught of herdsmen and demonic economic and trade policies. This is why sane Nigerian keep complaining that the previous government did better for the common man because basic needs were met more easily but sick zombies keep shouting corruption and claim that it is better to suffer now and enjoy tomorrow. Is food shortage also part of the 'required suffering' for a better tomorrow? Will the victims even be alive to enjoy the better tomorrow after suffering from government approved malnutrition and starvation? I just hope this madness gets reversed and improved.

4 Likes

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by melodyogonna(m): 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2019
useless country
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Afolabimills(m): 12:49pm On Dec 13, 2019
Mykel51:

Which firm do you work with sir ?
budget office now Marge with national planning commission
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by StaffofOrayan(m): 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2019
No surprises here
The Northern region is testament to what a northern leader is capable of,
Poverty reigns supreme, it's a way of life infact.
A people that see no problems with career begging can't develop an economy, It's just common sense.
Most northerners would love nothing more than for us to be like them
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Mykel51(m): 1:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
Afolabimills:
budget office now Marge with national planning commission

FG job...I been dey reason sey den dey pay una wella... so Hausa/Fulani don take over that side too

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by EvilBrain1(m): 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2019
freeze001:
This is unfortunate.

It is clear that despite the noises/lies/propaganda by this regime, they have recorded no real, national success in curbing food scarcity and ensuring food security. In fact if nothing else, they have worsened the lot of the Southern region with the steady onslaught of herdsmen and demonic economic and trade policies. This is why sane Nigerian keep complaining that the previous government did better for the common man because basic needs were met more easily but sick zombies keep shouting corruption and claim that it is better to suffer now and enjoy tomorrow. Is food shortage also part of the 'required suffering' for a better tomorrow? Will the victims even be alive to enjoy the better tomorrow after suffering from government approved malnutrition and starvation? I just hope this madness gets reversed and improved.

Things have gotten worse, but they've been getting worse at a slightly slower rate than under Jonathan and Yar'Adua.

The fact is that all the major parties have agreed that the lion's share of the wealth should go to the elites. Politicians, senior military, former warlords, and crony capitalists like Dangote and Otedola get the lion's share while we get crumbs for things ordinary Nigerians rely on. Like healthcare, public transportation, supporting farmers, power, etc. Rich people don't need any of those things so the government doesn't bother to invest in them. It was the same under the PDP, and its the same now.

Ordinary Nigerians need to develop class consciousness so we can face our real enemy: the super rich.

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by teadrake(m): 1:57pm On Dec 13, 2019
Gradually we're becoming the capital of super multidimensional poverty in the whole world.
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Yujin(m): 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2019
Afolabimills:
Lol. 9 persons from one company? That's huge. Sorry for your loss. Everyone is feeling the heat but won't want to do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Yujin(m): 2:33pm On Dec 13, 2019
Mykel51:

FG job...I been dey reason sey den dey pay una wella... so Hausa/Fulani don take over that side too
Lol.
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by cahat89: 2:40pm On Dec 13, 2019
sad
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by Boy2boy: 2:41pm On Dec 13, 2019
Don't fall victim to scam of year. Read story here.

https://www.nairaland.com/5575332/heard-popular-forex-scam-waju
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by SarkinYarki: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2019
edoairways:
I would love to see their methodological approach first before believing this report. It is easy to bombard the public with statistical results but difficult to explain how these results were derived, sourced and analyzed

You don't need any methodology, just look at you extended family and verify if they are lying or not
Re: NBS- Nigerians Became Poorer Than Ever Before In The Last 12 Months by edoairways: 3:13pm On Dec 13, 2019
SarkinYarki:

You don't need any methodology, just look at you extended family and verify if they are lying or not
It doesn't work that way

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Reach EEDC And Get Them To Come To My Rescue? / What The Other Flag Behind Buhari Means. / Which Region Should Produce Nigeria’s Next President In 2023?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.