Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun (20838 Views)

Hoodlums Hijack Election Materials In Kano, Enugu, Akwa Ibom Rerun, Bye-election / Joi Nunieh: I Slapped Akpabio For Sexually Harassing Me / Akpabio: Don’t Blame Me For Irregularities In Akwa Ibom Rerun, I’ve No interest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by masseratti: 12:00pm On Dec 16, 2019
unikprince:

Akpabio is hale and healthy, let him go into the ring.
go and force him, none of my business by the way.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by masseratti: 12:04pm On Dec 16, 2019
freeze001:
First, Akpabio is not dead, he has made a conscious decision to step down from the race. Secondly, it is the law, they are not playing God. Whoever you think they would pick would not have fulfilled all the statutory requirements required to a valid candidate so if INEC foolishly admits a replacement and APC is declared winner, it will be successfully challenged at the tribunal. In fact, other contestants can even challenge the validity of such replacement and the court will grant it because there are laid down procedures clearly stipulated by law.
If it is allowed for anyone to drop out midway just because he has better options then political godfathers will cash in big time; they will present a 'popular candidate' to swing votes, mastermind some crap to truncate the process whilst preserving votes earned, then present themselves to 'continue' the race and people will have no choice than to accept such crass imposition. Is that what you want?

huh? Why are you excited with your epistle? Dead or alive ant candidate has the right to withdraw, and the party reserves the right of substitution, not inec, read the electoral acts, before you make comments in public fora, how did you think Bello got there in Kogi?
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by wingmanIII: 12:06pm On Dec 16, 2019
masseratti:
huh? Why are you excited with your epistle? Dead or alive ant candidate has the right to withdraw, and the party reserves the right of substitution, not inec, read the electoral acts, before you make comments in public fora, how did you think Bello got there in Kogi?
No! No party has the right to substitute at any time they like.
You probably read the electoral act without understanding it.

1 Like

Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by mutumina007: 12:08pm On Dec 16, 2019
Senator Boroffice Gives Support To Gov. Akeredolu For Second Term Bid (photos)
https://www.nairaland.com/5584096/senator-boroffice-gives-support-gov
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by masseratti: 12:20pm On Dec 16, 2019
wingmanIII:

No! No party has the right to substitute at any time they like.
You probably read the electoral act without understanding it.
I did.. And in it a candidate can withdraw due to circumstances, death, hill health,or "in capacity" you can't force someone to stand for an election, if that's the case the party can substitute, but to be fair, this issue needs to be tested in the courts to Supreme Court, until then this argument is unnecessary, my own take is that INEC has done something similar before, they av set a precedence and if they are now saying this, they need to tell the public why, or else if the other party should contest this, with a good lawyer, they will trounce INEC.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by wingmanIII: 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2019
masseratti:
I did.. And in it a candidate can withdraw due to circumstances, death, hill health,or "in capacity" you can't force someone to stand for an election, if that's the case the party can substitute, but to be fair, this issue needs to be tested in the courts to Supreme Court, until then this argument is unnecessary, my own take is that INEC has done something similar before, they av set a precedence and if they are now saying this, they need to tell the public why, or else if the other party should contest this, with a good lawyer, they will trounce INEC.

What happened in Kogi was not substitution. Bello, being the 2nd in the gubernatorial primaries, stepped into the shoes of the late candidate since there cannot be a vacuum.
Imagine a party substituting a candidate 2 days to an election, will inec now reprint ballot papers overnight? Inec has to draw a line somewhere, if not there will be utter chaos.

1 Like

Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by mushystuff: 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2019
masseratti:

Parties are free to submit names of candidates and substitute within a specified deadline and after that, no more. INEC specifies that deadline which all parties must comply with. That is why parties that submit names of candidates after that stand disqualified. It is also why when Oby Ezekwesili bowed out of the presidential race after that window closed, INEC replied that she cannot be removed and will remain on the ballot. No need for your opinionated grand standing, the courts will rule based on the law as it is.

1 Like

Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by eedimo(m): 12:47pm On Dec 16, 2019
solmusdesigns:
grin

Akpabio wont be foolish enough to leave Niger delta ministry for Senate.. with a budget of 50 to 70 billion for his ministry even if he gets a kick back of 5% he is better than most senators, infact his annual estacode and travell allowance is times ten of what any senator would hope to earn

A constituency is maximum of 3 local government, His current ministry has jurisdiction over 6 states, if any INEC official comes to disturb Akpabio i think he needs to chase them with thugs

...but do not also forget that a minister must give account of his ministry's allocation, which means he steals with caution while Senators do not account for the huge constituency fund allocated to their constituencies.

No minister can afford to live the luxurious lifestyle most Senators live especially with "MR INTERGRITY" AS PRESIDENT.

My opinion though.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by Kinematics: 12:56pm On Dec 16, 2019
solmusdesigns:
grin

Akpabio wont be foolish enough to leave Niger delta ministry for Senate.. with a budget of 50 to 70 billion for his ministry even if he gets a kick back of 5% he is better than most senators, infact his annual estacode and travell allowance is times ten of what any senator would hope to earn

A constituency is maximum of 3 local government, His current ministry has jurisdiction over 6 states, if any INEC official comes to disturb Akpabio i think he needs to chase them with thugs

Maximum you say?

Have it in mind that a senator is an elected position, while a minister is not. Politically, a senator is more relevant than a minister who's just an appointee.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by Kinematics: 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2019
solmusdesigns:
grin

Maximum you say?

Have it in mind that a senator is an elected position, while a minister is not. Politically, a senator is more relevant than a minister who's just an appointee who can be fired at president's discretion.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by freeze001(f): 1:02pm On Dec 16, 2019
mushystuff:

Parties are free to submit names of candidates and substitute within a specified deadline and after that, no more. INEC specifies that deadline which all parties must comply with. That is why parties that submit names of candidates after that deadline stand disqualified. It is also why when Oby Ezekwesili bowed out of the presidential race after that window closed, INEC replied that she cannot be removed and will remain on the ballot. No need for your opinionated grand standing, the courts will rule based on the law as it is.

The post above is exactly my point. INEC makes the rules as empowered by the Constitution and the Electoral Act. By the rules, candidates can withdraw or /be substituted within a time frame prescribed by INEC. Once the deadline passes, parties are foreclosed from submitting names or swapping. Read this: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/307585-ezekwesili-cant-withdraw-from-presidential-race-now-inec.html

Here, INEC rejected Ezekwesili's withdrawal from the presidential race because of the same rule. Note that elections have already been conducted and this is a re-run, no one will be allowed to come and inherit votes, they are not transferable. I believe INEC's response in addition to non-substitution, should have been that Akpabio is not allowed to withdraw at this time because deadlines for withdrawals and substitutions have passed. For Kogi, I mentioned somewhere on this thread that his emergence is an anomaly that no one has really bothered to challenge.

masseratti:
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by hotobo(m): 2:06pm On Dec 16, 2019
Its a big lie... APC can replace its candidate, INEC allow them to replace the a dead candidate with there choice in the case of KOGI
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by poiZon: 2:09pm On Dec 16, 2019
Brandstudio01:
shocked
And why will anyone think of fielding a new candidate for a Re-run?

Sometimes you wonder why those who understand clear the law of the land behaves like Street people

What could really be the problem with our politicians?

Abeg joo, I will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me up
U forgot this is new era, anything can happen.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by masseratti: 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2019
freeze001:

The post above is exactly my point. INEC makes the rules as empowered by the Constitution and the Electoral Act. By the rules, candidates can withdraw or /be substituted within a time frame prescribed by INEC. Once the deadline passes, parties are foreclosed from submitting names or swapping. Read this: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/307585-ezekwesili-cant-withdraw-from-presidential-race-now-inec.html

Here, INEC rejected Ezekwesili's withdrawal from the presidential race because of the same rule. Note that elections have already been conducted and this is a re-run, no one will be allowed to come and inherit votes, they are not transferable. I believe INEC's response in addition to non-substitution, should have been that Akpabio is not allowed to withdraw at this time because deadlines for withdrawals and substitutions have passed. For Kogi, I mentioned somewhere on this thread that his emergence is an anomaly that no one has really bothered to challenge.

I don't know about ezekweli case, just like Bello case, this can be challenged too by the parties involved.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by masseratti: 2:20pm On Dec 16, 2019
mushystuff:

Parties are free to submit names of candidates and substitute within a specified deadline and after that, no more. INEC specifies that deadline which all parties must comply with. That is why parties that submit names of candidates after that stand disqualified. It is also why when Oby Ezekwesili bowed out of the presidential race after that window closed, INEC replied that she cannot be removed and will remain on the ballot. No need for your opinionated grand standing, the courts will rule based on the law as it is.
ok got your point.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by masseratti: 2:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
wingmanIII:

What happened in Kogi was not substitution. Bello, being the 2nd in the gubernatorial primaries, stepped into the shoes of the late candidate since there cannot be a vacuum.
Imagine a party substituting a candidate 2 days to an election, will inec now reprint ballot papers overnight? Inec has to draw a line somewhere, if not there will be utter chaos.
ok ooo I din hear.
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by iswallker(m): 2:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
RichDad1:

Because it’s a party sponsored post. The party owns the mandate not the Individual.
Better face your HTML5 business.

Party sponsored and no rules guiding substitution.. Bah.. shocked

1 Like

Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by DarkJeddi(m): 5:12pm On Dec 16, 2019
RichDad1:

Because it’s a party sponsored post. The party owns the mandate not the Individual.
Better face your HTML5 business.
So how does that mandate work out?

You fix and withdraw candidates at your party's whim? shocked
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by DarkJeddi(m): 5:16pm On Dec 16, 2019
poiZon:

U forgot this is new era, anything can happen.
If you have been following Nigerian politics of late, you should know that APC can't do anything about it..

How far Zamfara?

Where was their Candidate..
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by Banmeallday: 5:18pm On Dec 16, 2019
ZOO politics as usual...When will people see the light and demand for referendum and real CHANGE
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by Apostlepurple: 7:08pm On Dec 16, 2019
solmusdesigns:
grin

LMFAO�
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by Legendguru: 7:27pm On Dec 16, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Inec: Apc Can’t Replace Akpabio For Akwa Ibom Rerun by loswhite(m): 3:39am On Dec 17, 2019
Rollymax77:
Apc should just support the next most popular candidate and party and booth pdp out.
Zombie....I'm sure you did not even read the post at all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kpofire: RVSG Shuts Down Illegal Refinery. Arrests Policemen & NSCDC Officials / Defence Ministry Disowns N11 Billion Insertion In 2023 Budget / Alex Otti's Speech As Abia Governor-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.