Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,054 members, 7,835,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water (28008 Views)

PDP State Chairmen Divided Over Demand For Ayu’s Sack, Single Term For Atiku / Atiku, S/east Rift Deepens Over Single Term Request / Soludo: Nigeria Needs 5 Vice Presidents & A Six-year Single Term For Presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by ursullalinda(f): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2019
Pls I don't want that.....it will 6 years of stealing since no hope of coming back
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by obailala(m): 10:03am On Dec 18, 2019
I agree with atiku on this; we're still in 2019 and the talks of 2023 are already so deafening. Elected leaders get in office and instead of taking ambitious hard decisions which can bettter the country, they all keep considering political expedience (a.k.a securing 2nd term) and getting distracted. Not to even talk of the money spent in elections every 4 years.

The way in which they threw the bill out without even blinking was sick. Imagine one lawmaker arguing that "passing the bill would fuel unnecessary speculations that GMB wants to extend his tenure"? Solution for that would have been extremely simple, the new law shouldn't apply to elected leaders already in their second tenure.
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by MexManuel(m): 10:04am On Dec 18, 2019
reccy:
You spoke intelligently for the first time in your life..... I support single term of 6 years too that's after our darling president has finished his second tenure....

You spoke my mind.
This six years may be a good idea.

But then, it too could be a covert means to extend our darling Maj. Gen. Buhari or his associates office term

Except there would be a clause, that would bar this incumbency from this opportunity.
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by lemon10(m): 10:04am On Dec 18, 2019
Nna eeh.... dis country self
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:04am On Dec 18, 2019
What difference or any developmental stride will this make or bring? Tomorrow, this same politicians will tell you 6yrs is too small..Even those staying two terms of 4yrs each have not done anything meaningful for the country or their state!

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Zyron: 10:05am On Dec 18, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:
cool

6 years single term came in 2013, it was thrown out, it came in 2016 it was trashed, now 2019

why are Lawmakers wasting our legislative time on our taxpayers money cant they make laws on pressing issues or get serious with their oversight functions

[/s]
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by ultimateprof: 10:05am On Dec 18, 2019
It's better to have a dog as a friend than to have boy/girl friend.

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by anochuko01(m): 10:06am On Dec 18, 2019
reccy:
You spoke intelligently for the first time in your life..... I support single term of 6 years too that's after our darling president has finished his second tenure....
Let's look at it from this angle.
A single term of six years would also mean that a government can decide to loot and not do anything right from day one of his tenure because he has nothing to lose and has just one chance to steal. That for me is a bigger problem!

Most government still do well in their first four years because they'll want to seek reelection for the second tenure.

What we need are very strong and truly independent institutions and process that would make things thrive.

If efcc, icpc, judiciary, legislatures, police and co aren't politicised and conered by the leaders, there'll be no debate for single tenure of 6 years. But rather double tenure of 6 years each just as with shinzo Abe of Japan.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by BabaO2: 10:07am On Dec 18, 2019
Atiku and PDP with always useless and stealing ideas. What if the elected president/governor is so clueless and useless, we will have to endure him/her for 6 years?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Spatta: 10:08am On Dec 18, 2019
Power drunk Atiku
Desperate as the word desperado
He is thinking that He will Try again and be President after The Military regime is over, so that he can bring back corruption in full bloom
These guys who should be serving term in Jail if Nigeria was working
Ask why is he crying if it is thrown out?
What is his business if not his calculation of greed and desperation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by twilliamx(m): 10:09am On Dec 18, 2019
mrgoodd:
They should use six years without second term chance, It will save us the billions spent to conduct elections and it will be easy for the officials to investigate corrupt office holders.

They will loot ruthlessly cos they know they are not coming back. A single term is not for the likes of our politicians

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by BlackfireX: 10:10am On Dec 18, 2019
3 years is okay...... With anti graft agency on your tail 6 months ,before your tenure end.
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by realstars: 10:10am On Dec 18, 2019
The set of people handling our country today are very under minded.
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by brainbox80: 10:10am On Dec 18, 2019
kenzo25:
How I wish Atiku is in government now, he will also reject the bill because he too wanted 8yrs. 4+4
THE SENATE AND THE HOR DELIBERATES ON BILLS AND NOT THE PRESIDENT
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by stanisbaratheon: 10:11am On Dec 18, 2019
tiwiex:

There would be no incentive to perform since there is no second term anyway. The idea ignores human behavior. It has its merits and demerits too.

Juxtapose it with the bloodshed we witness in every election cycle and the monies spent on each elections, especially second tenure elections.

The benefits outweighs the demerits in my opinion.
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by don4real18(m): 10:14am On Dec 18, 2019
reccy:
I support a single term of four years

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by voltron14: 10:17am On Dec 18, 2019
You can tell Atiku was behind that bill.

Something he wants to use on his 2023 Campaign.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Zyron: 10:17am On Dec 18, 2019
[s]
voltron14:
You can tell Atiku was behind that bill.

Something he wants to use on his 2023 Campaign.
[/s]
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by grandstar(m): 10:19am On Dec 18, 2019
The experience in Mexico where this is practiced shows a very serious downside.

That downside is that every 6 years, a new crop of inexperienced lawmakers are elected. The previous lawyers, filled with experience and knowledge of the pros and cons of House, are shoved out of the door.

This is a huge drawback.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Tchange1(m): 10:19am On Dec 18, 2019
For me 4yrs single term is better because 6yrs is too much and before you know it another plan to extend it to 8yrs will set in.

So its a No No.

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:21am On Dec 18, 2019
reccy:
Correct darling brother.
You are a wise man. wink
Stay blessed.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Strica(f): 10:29am On Dec 18, 2019
LegendHero:

Tbh honest bro, I have a different school of thought from what you opined and I will say having a 6-year one term tenure for elected officials will be devastating to Nigeria and we would be more worse than present.

Firstly, the politicians already made it a full-time job to install their successor and they make sure they spend all the state resources for election. Even if a governor won’t be seeking second term, he will still spend a bogus amount to install his successor. Hence we will still have the same problem in terms of spending we are trying to mitigate.

Secondly, the politicians won’t work since they know they don’t need to seek the vote for any second term. They won’t be accountable to anybody and they will loot without honor coz they are sure they will install a successor who won’t bother to probe them. At least the current system will make them do some functional work in their first term hoping for re-election, having a single term system will make them more ineffective than they currently are.

@the bolded, you are right about that. I support that move to pass a 12-year developmental plan that elected officials will follow so that there won’t be a need for several abandoned project and contract duplication.

Nigeria is almost a failed country and it’s not only a systemic change that will salvage the situation. The inhabitants themselves are fantastically corrupt and no matter what policy or structural changes you try to implement, there is 75% chance of failure.

I travelled to Nigeria this December after a long time away from the country and what I saw starting from the airport to present made me conclude that we don’t only have a leadership problem, we also have the follower-ship problem. No matter who lead this country, it’s already designed to fail unless redemption comes in a different way.

Most of the inflation ravaging the country is not majorly caused by the factor of demand and supply or market price increase, people themselves inflate the price of goods for fast monetary gain and they all turn to blame the government. For e.g. taking an ordinary 10min cab from a location cost #600 the first day and the next day I had to take the same distance #4000. I can afford that but what about the common man? This problem of greed is applicable to almost all sectors of the Nigerian economy.

For example, some parents take their children to private centers for exam malpractices, even some private & public schools are not left out such that they have instilled the culture of corruption into their wards right from teen age.

At government owned institutions and even private sector, almost everyone is corrupt such that they will always want a tip no matter what. Everybody is out there to extort you and they are not contented no matter what you do for them.

The politicians already understood the mindset of Nigerians, and the more we keep having this mentality the more suffering we will get from these politicians coz we are all thesame. The people abusing a corrupt politician today are angry coz they are not the one stealing.

You're sooo right. I've never left this country but I read a lot, so I have a basis for comparison. I've come to understand, by God's grace, that Nigerians are Nigeria's problem. I, you, my oga at the office, the cleaning lady; all of us who make agreements we fail to keep, try to take advantage of others, disregard contracts and decorum, we all are Nigeria's problem.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Flier: 10:31am On Dec 18, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
I think I support this. Endorsing this will reduce bloodsheds in reelection bidding.
Atiku is very smart,he will use 12 years if they should approve 6 years single term
He want the 6 years to be approved first then fight for second term
The worst mistake we can make is to allow Atiku to get into power,6 years single term is just too much or what if the president is an animal

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by uchelouis45(m): 10:42am On Dec 18, 2019
mrgoodd:
They should use six years without second term chance, It will save us the billions spent to conduct elections and it will be easy for the officials to investigate corrupt office holders.
My thoughts exactly. I am surprised people are against the bill
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by kutashi: 10:46am On Dec 18, 2019
Yeye man! Who institutionalised rigging in the first instance?

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:47am On Dec 18, 2019
mrgoodd:
It must not happen. Nigeria magamago politics will enter am. After expiration of his 6 year term, the incubent with the help of his lawyers will solicit for second term and might win in court due to the porous nature of our constitution and the lopsidedness of our judiciary.
Atiku is power drunk so he wants to use for his own benefit

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Otsam(m): 10:48am On Dec 18, 2019
MrImole:
Pros and Cons

I'll rather not say anything..
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Cathy00: 10:49am On Dec 18, 2019
See details below

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 18, 2019
reccy:

How does single term stop rigging? you think the incumbent office holder or aprty does not want to rig in the next person?

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by backnbeta(f): 11:12am On Dec 18, 2019
If they make it 6 years single term, they'll spend the 6 years looting massively.

Make it 4-double, they'll spend the first 4 years preparing for the coming election where they'll perfect their looting and clean the tracks.

They have no interest in governing, only stealing undecided
Re: 6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 18, 2019
Until they come back and say double term of 6-year single term. Fear Nigerian politicians.

reccy:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forensic Analysis Has Exposed Ganduje’, Anti-Graft Agency Reveals / Peter Obi Visits Nabeeha's family, Condoles With Folashade Ariyo (Photos) / After Promising New Petrol Price, NNPCL Moves To Make Cooking Gas Cheaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.