Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,792 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? (1627 Views)

Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) / Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made / NUC Ranks Ahmadu Bello University No 1 In Nigeria (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by Bulleye(m): 11:32am On Dec 18, 2019
Injustice to one is injustice to all
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Goodness Thomas the Valedictorian of St. Clement Secondary School, Gbaiko Minna, Niger State for year 2019.
This girl here scored 302 in her JAMB, 278 in Post UTME at the ABU Zaria. She has 6 A1s in her WAEC yet ABU Zaria denied her admissions to study her course of choice, Medicine and Surgery.
My question is, who were those admitted? What did they score? How many of those people scored 300+ in JAMB? Goodness is just another victim of Nigeria's preference for mediocrity in disguise of quota system. If we must make meaningful progress as a nation, we must begin to encourage excellence.
Twas her birthday yesterday and as her former teacher, I felt obliged to let the world know for this injustice. I believe that Social Media can be a tool for positive change.
I therefore, call on the management of the Amadu Bello University Zaria to review this case and grant her the admission she deserves or at least tell the public what their admission criteria is for the Medicine and Surgery department of their school.
Please help me share this till a management staff of ABU Zaria or the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board sees this.

2 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by EngrBriggs: 11:34am On Dec 18, 2019
ABU is notoriously known for this.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by Bazamfare: 11:51am On Dec 18, 2019
Is ABU the only university in Nigeria, let her apply in other university

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by Bulleye(m): 11:54am On Dec 18, 2019
EngrBriggs:
That validates the fact that it is a glorified primary school. No wonder like every other Nigerian university it is fossilized in the past. No progress or advancement in human endeavors. ABU is a dinosaur of a university. It belongs to a museum to be viewed with a tag like this: A symbol of the failed project called Nigerian educational system.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by Bulleye(m): 12:03pm On Dec 18, 2019
Bazamfare:
Is ABU the only university in Nigeria, let her apply in other university
What disqualified her from being admitted?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by kennyjam: 1:30pm On Dec 18, 2019
Mujibson has some points there.....
We all know how this country is.
I wish her all the best!

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by Bulleye(m): 1:49pm On Dec 18, 2019
mujibson:
As a teacher, I think you could have done better than this. You posted same on Facebook too.

Do you know the criteria for admission into the university?

Have you tried to get in touch with the admission officers and find reasons?

Did you advice the girl before choosing Abu as her school of choice? If yes, did you make some research before doing so?
I won't start telling you Abu admission modus operandi or the protocol she follows in admitting candidate. You can find out on your own.

I'll say it's your/her fault that you didn't know that O-level is not a standard or test by which candidate's composite is calculated in Abu. So far you have the minimum of credit in your relevant subjects, you are good to go. So save us that 6 A1s.

Her jamb score(302) and postume(278) gives her an average of 290 (which is very good I must say) but this is Abu. The most chosen university in Nigeria after unilorin according to Jamb. Don't forget she's as well aspiring for the most competitive course in the institution, medicine. I can boldly say the girl has more than 12000 competitors.

Due to the mode of admission that Abu adopts ( Federal character), admission based on catchments, I would not be able to give cut off marks.

Let's just take top schools probably in same circle with Abu like UI, OAU, UNILAG, UNN who released their cutoff marks for MBBS for example, none of them pegged her MBBS cutoff at an average less than 310 or equivalent. That's just the level of competitiveness of the course this days. Anything below 300 average is rarely enough for a course like MBBS in most federal universities in Nigeria. Most candidates you see admitted to MBBS are not given on their first trial, meanwhile they've had countless 300+. They just never gave up on their dreams.

I'll advice she try harder and be better next year. She can and will do it. Her 290 average is good but not enough to get him MBBS in Abu. Thanks

ABU can dig out a thousand reasons why she was denied admission. You just gave some. Let keep deceiving ourselves. One day you will be served a plate of what injustice is and not a billion reasons will make you give up the fight to fight for your right.

2 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by edoairways: 5:57pm On Dec 18, 2019
kennyjam:
Mujibson has some points there.....

We all know how this country is.

I wish her all the best!
Bulleye has answered all op needed. Instead of Op wailing over the candidate's results in SSCE,Jamb and post screening exams, he or she should call for scrap of quota system. ABU would pick the very best and then pick other candidates from the catchment area. If the candidate happen to fall under the catchment area then op can argue his case

2 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by edoairways: 6:04pm On Dec 18, 2019
@mujibson you claim to be a teacher yet you didn't make proper inquiry on how students are admitted into ABU Zaria. Aside that your student applied for a competitive course yet you expect him to admitted based on those results? Bulleye had answered all you seek hence your candidate show either do the following;
Choose a less competitive course or university.
If you are observant you would discover that your student may suit medicine and surgery. You can that by applying psychological approach
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by kennyjam: 6:37pm On Dec 18, 2019
edoairways:

Bulleye has answered all op needed. Instead of Op wailing over the candidate's results in SSCE,Jamb and post screening exams, he or she should call for scrap of quota system. ABU would pick the very best and then pick other candidates from the catchment area. If the candidate happen to fall under the catchment area then op can argue his case

yes bro... That's it.

It's very pain sha.

May God help her!
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by sirqeeboi(m): 9:12pm On Dec 18, 2019
Unilag that has cut off mark of 85 and above for medicine
Which include
Jamb
Olevel results
post utme score
Added together b4 arriving at the 85
Which means such candidates should have
Jamb 340/400
Olevel. 25.5/30
Post utme 85/100
and they also use catchment area also..

Buh for Abu ur results depend on the number of applicants in ur State
Eg

Abu might give kogi state 8 slots for mbbs
Which means u are competing with ppl from ur state that just about Abu admission.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by darfay: 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2019
Y'all can see that the North does not have sense. Now instead of ABU to admit the best brains based on merit (at least room for it) but no they rather be tribalistic and a religious bigot. That is why this joke of a school can never be on the same level with Unilag, U.i,O.A.U,U.N.N, covenant and the likes

I know blame them na babe wey choose this madrassa/ile- kewu na him I blame
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by mujibson(m): 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2019
edoairways:
@mujibson you claim to be a teacher yet you didn't make proper inquiry on how students are admitted into ABU Zaria. Aside that your student applied for a competitive course yet you expect him to admitted based on those results? Bulleye had answered all you seek hence your candidate show either do the following;
Choose a less competitive course or university.
If you are observant you would discover that your student may suit medicine and surgery. You can that by applying psychological approach

Bulleye is the teacher and OP.. You've mixed it up .....
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by edoairways: 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2019
mujibson:

Op sorry
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by edoairways: 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2019
mujibson:

Sori
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by darfay: 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2019
sirqeeboi:
Unilag that has cut off mark of 85 and above for medicine
Which include
Jamb
Olevel results
post utme score
Added together b4 arriving at the 85
Which means such candidates should have
Jamb 340/400
Olevel. 25.5/30
Post utme 85/100
and they also use catchment area also..

Buh for Abu ur results depend on the number of applicants in ur State
Eg

Abu might give kogi state 8 slots for mbbs
Which means u are competing with ppl from ur state that just about Abu admission.

Does this even make sense? What rubbish from this madrassa of a university
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by mujibson(m): 10:26pm On Dec 18, 2019
darfay:
Y'all can see that the North does not have sense. Now instead of ABU to admit the best brains based on merit (at least room for it) but no they rather be tribalistic and a religious bigot. That is why this joke of a school can never be on the same level with Unilag, U.i,O.A.U,U.N.N, covenant and the likes

Copy what you just posted.

Send it to a friend.

Don't tell him it's your post.

Ask him about the mental stability of the poster.

Be truthful enough to share his response with us.

Mr. Man, your brain is just full of relaxer...
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by mujibson(m): 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2019
darfay:

Which of the universities you listed will admit candidate with 290 for MBBS.... Oponu, arindin omo ..... Flat big head with small sense....
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by darfay: 10:47am On Dec 19, 2019
mujibson:

Copy what you just posted.

Send it to a friend.

Don't tell him it's your post.

Ask him about the mental stability of the poster.

Be truthful enough to share his response with us.

Mr. Man, your brain is just full of relaxer...

K
Re: Ahmadu Bello University: Merit Or Privilege?? by Amakachris95(f): 7:59am On Jan 11, 2020
EngrBriggs:

Good morning sir. Please I sent you a pm, I will really appreciate your reply. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

200 Level Uniport Student Dies Of Cardiac Arrest During Practical / Ulesson App Review / Who Is To Blame For This Childs Low Performance? Teacher, Patents Or The Direct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.