Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,735 members, 7,813,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters (2781 Views)

Abubakar Audu Is Dead - Sahara Reporters / Adeola Of Sahara Reporters And President Buhari Take A Photo / Top Politicians Woo Senators With $50,000 Each To Impeach Saraki - Daily Indept. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Boboribo: 6:16pm On Nov 29, 2010
Someone will soon tell us that afterall Atiku is "wanted" in the US for laundering $40m and that $50k is insignificant.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by ziga: 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2010
After the Fashola interview, and Sahara reporter's representation of it on their website, I don't think i could ever believe anything i read from them!!!

It is probably all cooked up, so that he can compete with BBC.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Gbawe: 6:34pm On Nov 29, 2010
ziga:

After the Fashola interview, and Sahara reporter's representation of it on their website, I don't think i could ever believe anything i read from them!!!

It is probably all cooked up, so that he can compete with BBC.

"Cooked up" for where? Tunde Bakare has confirmed it himself and everybody knows that you cannot quote Bakare wrongly without gaining a swift rebutal from the vocal Pastor. I guess the new excuse from camp desperate GEJ will be that Bakare is a spoiler for Atiku .

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/president-jonathan-offered-us-50000-bribe-we-returned-it-pastor-tunde-bakare-confirms

Fiery Lagos-based pastor, Tunde Bakare, has confirmed to Saharareporters that President Goodluck Jonathan provided a $50,000 cash bribe to a delegation of the Save Nigeria Group that visited him last Monday, but that the group sent back the money.

Pastor Bakare’s confirmation came in the midst of a tepid denial of our earlier report by Tony Uranta, one of Mr. Jonathan's political operatives. Uranta had claimed on his Facebook page yesterday that Saharareporters misrepresented the crux of the meeting between the president and the Pastor Bakare-led delegation.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by ziga: 6:45pm On Nov 29, 2010
Gbawe:

"Cooked up" for where? Tunde Bakare has confirmed it himself and everybody knows that you cannot quote Bakare wrongly without gaining a swift rebutal from the vocal Pastor. I guess the new excuse from camp desperate GEJ will be that Bakare is a spoiler for Atiku .

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/president-jonathan-offered-us-50000-bribe-we-returned-it-pastor-tunde-bakare-confirms

FYI, i don't care so much about GEJ.

All i'm saying is, quote any other source in the world. but not sahara reporters. I think they are crap!!!
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Gbawe: 6:53pm On Nov 29, 2010
ziga:

FYI, i don't care so much about GEJ.

All i'm saying is, quote any other source in the world. but not sahara reporters. I think they are crap!!!

and I say quote anyone wrongly but Pastor Bakare. His rebuttal will be loud , vociferous and delivered in the public domain.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by jumobi1(m): 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2010
Since when does Bakare's word automatically = Truth?
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by 9ijaMan: 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2010
To those of you attempting to defend GEJ's team here's a simple calculation.
$50k dollars is roughly 7.5M in Naira. I cannot recall the number of SNG guys who visited the president (perhaps 3 in number perhaps more). The cost of flight from Lagos to Abuja flying the biz class (which is the best available) is generally less than 40K naira (i.e. a return ticket would be max 80K). It means there must have been roughly 94 SNG guys invited to Aso Rock. This for sure is not the case.

According to the report, these guys were invited by GEJ, hence FG would naturally pay for their transportation, hotel accommodation and feeding ahead of their visit, and settle whatever bills left (if any). Hence the 50K USD is totally uncalled for unless the money is actually meant to grease some palms.

Nigeria we hail thee!
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by MaiSuya(m): 6:58pm On Nov 29, 2010
come to think of it, hasn't any other news medium, besides SR, carried the alleged bribery scandal?
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by 9ijaMan: 7:01pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

Since he (Bakare) led some Nigerians (through SNG) to fight for GEJ's enthronement when some selfish politicians were foot-dragging and attempting at subverting the Nigerian constitution.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On Nov 29, 2010
taken from Tony Ipriye Uranta's FB page

Sahara Reporters' putative report of the last meeting between President Jonathan and the Save Nigeria Group is a tissue of lies! GEJ & SNG had VERY cordial talks; at no time was GEJ's 2011 Presidential aspirations mentioned; GEJ was upbeat throughout; SNG has NEVER been denied access to GEJ; and TIU conduit-ed NO funds between GEJ & SNG!

http://www.facebook.com/tiuranta?v=wall

[size=13pt]I was never a money-conduit between President Jonathan and the Save Nigeria Group![/size]

by Tony Ipriye Uranta on Saturday, November 27, 2010 at 10:41am

I have only just got back to FB, after short break, and I'm confronted with this lie!

I NEVER ACTED AS CONDUIT FOR MONEY BETWEEN PRESIDENT JONATHAN AND ANYBODY, INCLUDING THE SNG!!!
SNG did meet with GEJ [as they have on countless occasions since January, 2010, in SNG's bid to restore respect for the Rule-of-Law, amongst other things!] and, as SNG can confirm both parties had very candid, very cordial, and very hopeful exchanges, under the most friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

One is surprised that Sahara Reporters can concoct lies, such as that, "Since assuming office, Jonathan had distanced himself from the SNG operatives" and that "the SNG delegation found a downcast Jonathan who was solely interested in talking about his presidential ambition and how to achieve by all means".

As Pastor Bakare will readily confirm, the SNG NEVER was denied access to Mr. President, and there was NO discussion, during said recent meeting, concerning President Jonathan's 2011 aspirations AT ALL!

It is against this easily proven backdrop of fundamental untruths that I refute SR's slander, I was NOT, at ANY time, a conduit for money between Mr. President and the SNG!

However, I have spoken with all parties concerned; and we ALL have decided NOT to honour this tissue of mendacities by [apart from this brief refuttal] dwelling on what is obviously the work of the anti-GEJ morass. Verbum sat!

Shalom

Cee Won CONFIRMATION!!!!! SUE PASTOR BAKARE OR SAHARA IF THIS GIST IS NOT TRUE, I KNOW IT IS TRUE BECAUSE WE HAVE HEARD FROM THE HORSES MOUTH AND THERE IS PROOF, CONFIRMATION AND LIVING WITNESSES. ALUTA CONTINUA!!!
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by MaiSuya(m): 7:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

what does the man have to gain lying against Jonathan? true, it might not have been called or even presumed to be bribe--[i]transport fare [/i]was their (GEJ and Co) term--nonetheless the pastor saw it for what it truly was--a bribe.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Gbawe: 7:19pm On Nov 29, 2010
9ijaMan:

Since he (Bakare) led some Nigerians (through SNG) to fight for GEJ's enthronement when some selfish politicians were foot-dragging and attempting at subverting the Nigerian constitution.

Indeed . I don't know any Nigerian , except the most ethnically biased , who will say Jonathan's camp , discredited on many occasion,  is more believable than Pastor Bakare who is widely accepted as a brave and fearlessly outspoken campaigner against oppression and misrule.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 29, 2010
Only a silly person wants atiku to be president.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by monkeyleg: 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2010
I don tire. which kind wahala be all this
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2010
[size=13pt]"No Reason To Bribe SNG", Says Orubebe
[/size]

I have read, with a deep sense of shock and disappointment,
allegations made against me in an on-line medium, claiming that I
attempted to bribe the leadership of the Save Nigeria Group, SNG,
after a visit with the president.

I find these allegations deeply distressing, and I am certain that the
highly respected Pastor Tunde Bakare must have been quoted out of
context. I am forced to react to these allegations only because I
would consider it an insult for anyone to attempt to bribe someone of
that stature, visiting with his group, and with, of all sums, 50,000
dollars.

True, a bribe is a bribe, no matter the sum. This is the reason why I
am all the more concerned and worried about these claims. What I
however find intriguing is that there is absolutely no reason to bribe
the Save Nigeria Group. When the body on its own volition rose to
challenge the sense of drift that had befallen the country over the
illness of our late leader, Mallam Umaru Musa Yar’adua, did anyone
bribe them?

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/no-reason-bribe-sng-says-orubebe

So it is hard to believe that any right thinking person would attempt
to do so now.  If a bribe is intended to induce someone to either do
something, or to refrain from doing it, what in objective terms would
I need to bribe the SNG for at this time?

This is a false story that should be dismissed by all right thinking persons.

Elder Peter Godsday Orubebe,
Hon. Minister,
Ministry of Niger Delta.
29th November 2010.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by 9ijaMan: 7:34pm On Nov 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[/size]

I have read, with a deep sense of shock and disappointment,
allegations made against me in an on-line medium, claiming that I
attempted to bribe the leadership of the Save Nigeria Group, SNG,
after a visit with the president.

I find these allegations deeply distressing, and I am certain that the
highly respected Pastor Tunde Bakare must have been quoted out of
context. I am forced to react to these allegations only because I
would consider it an insult for anyone to attempt to bribe someone of
that stature, visiting with his group, and with, of all sums, 50,000
dollars.

True, a bribe is a bribe, no matter the sum. This is the reason why I
am all the more concerned and worried about these claims. What I
however find intriguing is that there is absolutely no reason to bribe
the Save Nigeria Group. When the body on its own volition rose to
challenge the sense of drift that had befallen the country over the
illness of our late leader, Mallam Umaru Musa Yar’adua, did anyone
bribe them?

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/no-reason-bribe-sng-says-orubebe

So it is hard to believe that any right thinking person would attempt
to do so now.  If a bribe is intended to induce someone to either do
something, or to refrain from doing it, what in objective terms would
I need to bribe the SNG for at this time?

Hon. Minister,
Ministry of Niger Delta.
29th November 2010.
He's succeeded in saying nothing. He simply said the report is false but failed to state that the pastor lied. He should have dared the pastor to come out publicly to refute the story. Unfortunately, it's only the Pastor who can confirm or deny the story (publicly) as it is, since camp GEJ has resorted to dancing around the edges of the issue.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by MaiSuya(m): 7:46pm On Nov 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[/size]

Hon. Minister,
Ministry of Niger Delta.
29th November 2010.

GBAM! so all non-right thinking persons are free to continue dwelling on falsehood, kwo?.

KAI! politicians. . . grin
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2010
Sahara Reporters does not seem to want to let this one go ooo. Now another report of another delegate confirming the initial claims attributed to Pastor Bakare grin

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan%E2%80%99s-50000-bribe-another-sng-delegate-provides-more-details-orubebe-issues-denial

[size=13pt]Jonathan’s $50,000 Bribe: Another SNG Delegate Provides More Details As Orubebe Issues Denial[/size]

By SaharaReporters, New York
Yinka Odumakin, an official of Save Nigeria Group (SNG), has provided more details about the $50,000 bribe the government of President Goodluck Jonathan had tried to offer the group, but which was rejected.

Saharareporters had earlier reported that the Jonathan administration had offered the cash after SNG officials led by Pastor Tunde Bakare met with the president in Aso Rock to discuss the group’s disappointment with the state of the nation. After Tony Uranta, an aide of Jonathan’s, denied our original report, Pastor Bakare granted us an exclusive interview to confirm that the bribe had been offered, but that his group had spurned the inducement.

The story of what transpired when the Save Nigeria Group met with Jonathan and his team last Monday further unfolded today as Mr. Odumakin, who was a member of the SNG delegation, explained how Minister of the Niger Delta, Godsday Orubebe, offered the cash to the delegates.

Narrating his case earlier today on naijapolitics, a popular listerv, Mr. Odumakin wrote as follows: “After the meeting with the President, he left the wing where we met for another [wing] and said ‘please don't go yet I'm coming’. Sensing what that could [mean] we headed for our cars…We would have left before Orubebe emerged from the president with a brown envelope but for the fact that the drivers were not allowed to stay in the cars.”

Odumakin further explained: “Before we could drive off he [Orubebe] brought the ‘gift’ from the President and he said so. We rejected the money instantly but he was persistent. Wisdom dictated we couldn't be creating scene at the [Aso Rock] villa gate after midnight.” 

“We headed to our hotel and called Mr. Tony Uranta to come up with us. We then called Orubebe and put him on speaker to let him know that we are returning the money through Uranta back to him and to the president. Mr. Uranta then said that he appreciated our integrity.”

Mr. Odumakin revealed that the $50,000 came in “five bundles and all $100”. He added that, in order to guarantee that the money was returned to source, they also called Oronto Douglas, a senior adviser to Jonathan, to inform him of their action.

“We had moved on and we ordinarily would not have embarrassed the Presidency on this matter,” Mr. Odumakin further wrote, adding, “But 48 hours after the visit Saharareporters called to inquire if we visited Jonathan, which we confirmed. We then learnt that the meeting leaked through the other party. At that point, it became clear that some people were out to do some dirty job. It was later revealed to us that the story that was actually sold was that we collected money from the Presidency.”

Meanwhile, Mr. Orubebe today sent Saharareporters a rejoinder about the affair. Curiously, the minister’s rejoinder provided little clarification about his involvement in handing out the controversial cash.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by 9ijaMan: 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2010
Mai Suya:

Kobojunkie link=topic=558885.msg7240726#msg7240726 date=1291055446:

[/size]

Hon. Minister,
Ministry of Niger Delta.
29th November 2010.

GBAM! so all non-right thinking persons are free to continue dwelling on falsehood, kwo?.

KAI! politicians. . . grin

Orubebe has not denied if a bribe was offered. He simply said there was no reason to bribe SNG. So calm your nerves.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by jumobi1(m): 7:56pm On Nov 29, 2010
9ijaMan:

Even if the Pope says GEJ bribed him, I have no reason to believe the pope until GEJ is proven guilty.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 7:59pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

Even if the Pope says GEJ bribed him, I have no reason to believe the pope until GEJ is proven guilty.

OH LORD! **rolls eyes***

Not a single person has said you should take the one side's version as Fact.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Boboribo: 8:00pm On Nov 29, 2010
I still de laugh o o o. Ima Niboro no go talk.?
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by 9ijaMan: 8:04pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

No one is forcing you not to believe GEJ against the Pope. All GEJ team members (Orubebe & Uranta) who have made statements have not out rightly denied the allegation. Neither of them has said the SNG groups were lying. All they've been doing is to try to discredit the story. The pastor and Odumakin have both said Orubebe gave them $50k at GEJ's insistence (directly accusing Orubebe, Uranta and GEJ), yet all GEJ's men could to is to make lame excuses to discredit SR.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 29, 2010
me too I dey laugh
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by jumobi1(m): 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2010
All Bakare is doing is campaigning for Buhari which isn't wrong. Spilling the pap is just a different way of telling Nigerian not to vote for GEJ. I am not justifying wrong because reading Orubebe's statement makes me believe money was offered but I know SNG receives money all across the board. They just want GEJ to lose. I'm sure Buhari has giving SNG money to "continue the good work".
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

All Bakare is doing is campaigning for Buhari which isn't wrong. Spilling the pap is just a different way of telling Nigerian not to vote for GEJ. I am not justifying wrong because reading Orubebe's statement makes me believe money was offered but I know SNG receives money all across the board. They just want GEJ to lose. I'm sure Buhari has giving SNG money to "continue the good work".

And people wonder why I keep saying that that some Nigerians are not ready for change of any kind?  shocked
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by jumobi1(m): 8:24pm On Nov 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

And people wonder why I keep saying that that some Nigerians are not ready for change of any kind?  shocked
Look here homeslice. I am obviously a GEJ fan and I think he is the best candidate. Yes I may be wrong. I am also one of those that don't believe in wealthy Nigerian Pastors.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

Look here homeslice. I am obviously a GEJ fan and I think he is the best candidate. Yes I may be wrong. I am also one of those that don't believe in wealthy Nigerian Pastors.

And you, yet again, bolstered my point there with the above!  Why would you ever want things to change when you base most all on one form of bias or another?

You love Goodluck so much so that he could do no wrong, is that what are telling us? So, never mind that these are serious charges here against a sitting president, all you know is because you harbor some distrust of wealthy pastors, and one of his accusers happens to be one, anything they say about your beloved will never count for much, is that it?

I am not certain if you get it. The president of the largest country in Africa, publicly accused of bribery and you would rather downplay it because you have issues with wealthy Nigerian pastors?
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by 9ijaMan: 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

And you, yet again, bolstered my point there with the above!  Why would you ever want things to change when you base most all on one form of bias or another?

You love Goodluck so much so that he could do no wrong, is that what are telling us? So, never mind that these are serious charges here against a sitting president, all you know is because you harbor some distrust of wealthy pastors, and one of his accusers happens to be one, anything they say about your beloved will never count for much, is that it?

I am not certain if you get it. The president of the largest country in Africa, publicly accused of bribery and you would rather downplay it because you have issues with wealthy Nigerian pastors?
Kobo you should know by now that most GEJ followers are not objective in the blind support for him. Imagine how the likes of Beaf would have painted this thread with so much venom Atiku were to have been at the receiving end if this bribery scandal.

jumobi1:

Jumobi, the topic here relates to the involvement of GEJ in the act of corruption, yet you are bringing in Buhari. At least the pastor and his SNG guys have confirmed the allegation to be true, yet the  team GEJ are dodging and giving lame excuses. What has Pastor Bakare's afinity towards Buhari got to do with GEJ attempting to bribe SNG?
Try to be objective for a single second and wake up from the dreamland of assuming GEJ is god sent 'cos he's been lucky to have risen to the post he currently occupies, and ask yourself these few questions:
[list]
[li]What has GEJ done to better the lot of the poor masses?
Is he really capable (competent) to manage the affairs of the country?
What has been his achievements in his 11+ years in government?
Is GEJ really going to fight against corruption? [/li]
[/list]

If you are able to trutfully provide answers to the above, I believe you'll see GEJ for whom he really is. Please ensure you set aside every form of nepotism, tribalism and religious bigotry tendency before you go through the exercise.
Ciao!
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by debosky(m): 9:49pm On Nov 29, 2010
Where is FeaB/Beaf?

He rushed to post the article was fake, now that there's more and more evidence that Bakare indeed spoke to SH, he's gone quiet. grin

Typical corrupt Nigerians - Orubebe saying 'of all amounts' $50,000?? Has he ever worked for $50,000 in his entire life??

Of course they can't see it as bribery. . . .in their minds, it is no different to going to see your uncle and he gives you 20 naira to buy 'sweets'. Bloody criminals.

If this is confirmed true, then GEJ has shown he's even more desperate than I thought. He is slowly digging his grave if he continues in this manner.
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by MaiSuya(m): 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2010
kai! GEJ. . .it just keeps getting worse. . .
Re: Jonathan Offered Sng Delegation $50,000 Bribe - Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 11:03pm On Nov 29, 2010
I hope this is not swept under the rug by christmas undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures: How Lagos looked in the 60s, 70s and 80s; better than today? / Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! / Pdp Is The Cause Of Insecurity In Nigeria - Azazi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.