Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! (2785 Views)

Imo Courts, Assembly Complex Shut As Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / Abuja Blasts: Niger Delta Militants Might Be Responsible – NLC / Osun Workers Declares Indefinite Strike Over Unpaid Salarie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Gbawe: 10:44am On Sep 09, 2011
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60501:presidency-defence-step-in-as-omar-kick-starts-enugu-workers-strike&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Presidency, Defence step in as Omar kick-starts Enugu workers’ strike
Friday, 09 September 2011 00:00 From Lawrence Njoku, Enugu and Gordi Udeajah, Aba News - National

“HAVE you made up your mind to move with us? Have you accepted that the Chime wage, which you have taken, should serve as bonuses?”

With these words and a repeated thunderous “yes” from the protesting workers, the national leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) yesterday declared an indefinite strike in Enugu State.

Yesterday, activities in the state capital were shut down as thousands of protesting workers marched round the streets before they were addressed by the national leadership.

In a swift response however, the state government urged the workers to ignore “such an ill-motivated directive by the NLC and continue with their duties because external forces
acting out the scripts of people envious of the peace and progress in the state will not be allowed to dictate how we shall function as a state on a non-existent issue.”

State Commissioner for Information, Chuks Ugwuoke in a statement said the government has approved N18,500 as the minimum wage payable in the state in accordance with the new minimum wage law and had adjusted the salary of workers in April and July last year.

The leadership of the workers union led by the national president, Abdulwaheed Omar and his Trade Union counterpart (TUC) Peter Eselle, said the decision to start immediate total and indefinite strike in Enugu State was borne by the refusal of the Governor Sullivan Chime-led administration to implement the new minimum wage of N18,000, which had been passed into law by the Federal Government.

Leading other members of the executive and thousands of workers drawn from the state, Anambra, Ebonyi and Akwa Ibom states, who were bearing green leaves and singing anti-government songs, Omar declared that the strike was total as electricity, airport, banks, schools, markets, petrol supply and transport operations would be severed in the state from today (Friday).

But even before the declaration, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), banks, fuel and filling stations had already severed their services, prompting residents into panic transactions especially at the few operating fuel stations.

However, an over three hour supremacy war had earlier broken out between the labour leaders and Chime, as the governor had engaged armed soldiers and policemen to condone off the Gold Value hotel premises, where the labour leaders were lodged thereby preventing them from leaving the hotel premises.

While the security operatives refused people from gaining access or leaving the hotel premises including other guests, hundreds of suspects government hirelings bearing pro-Chime placards sang and danced round the area and in the process molested female labour activists.

It took the intervention of the Presidency and Ministry of Defence, who ordered the immediate withdrawal of the security operatives from the area before the labour leaders could start their rally.

A police armored carrier (APC) was also deployed at the secretariat apparently to ward off the protesting workers.

General Secretary of the NLC, Owei Lakemfa, who narrated the ordeal of the visiting labour leaders in the hands of the security operatives, said it was the intervention of the Presidency that led to the withdrawal of the armed soldiers from the hotel premises.

He said: “This morning, as we were preparing to come and address the rally of the workers, we were surrounded by armed soldiers and policemen. When we wanted to go out, they pointed their guns at us not to step out. It was then that we started making calls; we called the Presidency and Ministry of Defence. They apologised to us and expressed shock that soldiers were on the streets of Enugu. Five minutes after, the soldiers were withdrawn, but just before we left, we discovered that his (Governor Chime) thugs were everywhere round the hotel and harassing our female members. It is unfortunate that Chime still uses thugs and to us he is a chief thug”.

Explaining that four of the suspected thugs were arrested by the Police, Lakemfa demanded that they should be charged to court, stressing that, “if we discover that the government will block the process of justice, we will demand that they be taken to Abuja by the Inspector-General of Police for prosecution”.

He said the suspected thugs were “terrorists” and should be treated as such by the law of the land.

On the entourage of the national delegation to Enugu also were National Secretary of National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), Joe Ajaero; Deputy President, Kiri Mohammed as well as state chairmen of the Anambra, Ebonyi and Akwa Ibom states.

Omar explained that Enugu State government’s refusal to implement the new minimum wage was deliberate, stressing that the government has refused to dialogue with the workers but has rather employed intimidation in what ordinarily should be their inalienable right.

“We have received reports from various parts of the country where the government has implemented the new minimum wage and just on Monday, we received the report that Nasarawa has implemented the new wage. What we are witnessing in Enugu is that Enugu wants to be isolated and we say, no. We are fully prepared for whatever battle in Enugu and nothing will make us renege”, he said.

The labour leader disclosed that it had earlier given the state government two weeks ultimatum to fully implement the new wage, stressing that while the ultimatum which expired Wednesday night lasted, the state government did nothing to dialogue with the workers on the issue.

Adding that the national leadership had fully taken over negotiations on the new wage, he told the workers to regard, “whatever you have received so far from government as bonuses and not the new minimum wage”, stressing that the state government had already made up its mind on the new wage.

“Therefore, on behalf of labour movement in Nigeria, there will be an indefinite strike action in Enugu from now; it is not an ordinary strike, all essential duties will be cut off, no light as we have been assured that Enugu will no longer get supply. Banks will close, no business will operate, road transporters will not operate, there will be no aircraft from tomorrow (today) from Enugu, no schools, no petroleum supply to the state from tomorrow (today). Enugu has elected somebody who feels he is not responsible to the people”, Omar said.

Apologizing to the residents of the state on the hardship the strike could bring, Omar urged them to hold the state government responsible for their pains, stressing that the law must take its course.

The government statement reads: “The attention of the Enugu State government has been drawn to the reports that the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has ordered workers in
the state to embark on an indefinite strike action over the implementation of the minimum wage. This is, to say the least, uncalled for and quite unfortunate. It beats the imagination why the labour leaders should give such a directive even when it is on record that the Enugu State Government remains the only one in the geo-political zone to have fully complied with the implementation of the payment of the minimum wage. The
implementation was reflected in the payment of the workers’ salaries for the month of August and this is verifiable

“As a matter of fact, Governor Sullivan Chime had even approved N18,500
as the minimum wage payable in the state. Furthermore, in the implementation of the minimum wage law, the salary of every civil servant in the state was also upwardly adjusted, just as the administration has paid the April to July arrears of the minimum wage.

“Therefore, the issue at stake cannot be about the payment of the minimum wage. Government urges the workers to ignore such an ill-motivated directive by the NLC and continue with their duties because external forces acting out the scripts of people envious of the peace and progress in the state will not be allowed to dictate how we shall function as a state on a non-existent issue.

“The Enugu State government will continue to pay priority attention to the welfare of its workforce and that explains why it is the fourth state in the federation to have implemented the National Health Insurance Scheme. Government shall remain open to negotiation as a civilised way to resolving whatever grey areas with the workforce.”
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by yim(f): 12:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
good. they must pay
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by MrResource(m): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2011
i be talk am, where is that 7billion cry
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Ournaija: 1:09pm On Sep 09, 2011
I thought Chime was a better governor.
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by mekaboy(m): 1:32pm On Sep 09, 2011
WHO DO WE BELIEVE grin
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by toboy: 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2011
hmm am in enugu ooo, and i cant see any strike going here ooo!!!
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On Sep 09, 2011
Where is beaf and pointB to pounce on the messiah Chime like they did Aregbesola for a similar story

PDP stinks I tel you

[size=18pt]Omar explained that Enugu State government’s refusal to implement the new minimum wage was deliberate, stressing that the government has refused to dialogue with the workers but has rather employed intimidation in what ordinarily should be their inalienable right[/size]
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 09, 2011
Aaaeeeeeeeehhhh!!! This is good news, it calls for celeberation, *Sule get me my corper kaki && my crested vest. Ile ti ya!
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 09, 2011
Aaaeeeeeeeehhhh!!! This is good news, it calls for celeberation, *Sule get me my corper kaki && my crested vest. Ile ti ya!
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by seanet02: 6:31pm On Sep 09, 2011
was it not the same thing that Beafwant to kill himself over in Osun
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by executinal(m): 7:09pm On Sep 09, 2011
Chime comply, you are almost there cheesy
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by otokx(m): 10:18pm On Sep 09, 2011
tot they said chime was a gud guy?
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Gbawe: 10:35pm On Sep 09, 2011
otokx:

tot they said chime was a gud guy?

He is a good guy. The substantive point is that most Governors, even those entirely pro-people, will fiscally struggle ,or default, in efforts to meet this minimum wage policy without the FG proactively helping out to ensure the success of a populist pre-election pledge that has now turned into a headache for everyone.
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Odunnu: 10:00am On Sep 10, 2011
Well, what can I say? Sullivan got it wrong this time, shouldnt have escalated to such if he'd 'attempted' to dialogue. Hopefully it would be resolved soon.
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Godmann(m): 1:06pm On Sep 10, 2011
Stop deceiving yourselves, no politician in Nigeria is especially those PDP theives. I am from Enugu and know very well that Sulivan is as bad as others. May be if you are one of those babes around Enugu that he takes care of you can call him a good man.

No hope for Naija
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Gbawe: 1:16pm On Sep 10, 2011
Godman_n:

Stop deceiving yourselves, no politician in Nigeria is especially those PDP theives. I am from Enugu and know very  well that Sulivan is as bad as others. May be if you are one of those babes around Enugu that he takes care of you can call him a good man.

No hope for Naija

To be honest , I have to confess I do not have first hand knowledge to judge Chime with but I have read that he has done well. Enugu folks themselves praise his performance and he appears to be on the side of the people. Below is a list of the achievements of Chime within 7 months in office and it appears very impressive to me but , once again, I can say my opinion is not fact because I am not speaking out of actual experience.

http://supportsullivanchime.com/sullivan_chimes_achievements.pdf

The following is a list of Governor Sullivan Chime’s achievements in
only 7 months in office:

1. Aggressively rehabilitating and repairing the collapsed and decrepit
network of roads he met upon assumption of office in May 2007
2. Fixing roads all over Enugu State including roads in Awkunanaw, G.R.A.,
Abakpa, Achara Layout 1 and 2, Coal Camp, Uwani 1 and 2, Gariki, Trans
Ekulu, and New Haven
3. Setting up a new Road Maintenance Agency to regularly monitor and
maintain Enugu State's road networks
4. Treating labor and civil service in Enugu Stat in a decent and fair manner
by among other things recalling 5000 workers who had been disengaged
5. Promoting those workers
6. Absorbing Enugu indigenes working in other states who had been
disengaged primarily because of their state of origin
7. Raising the minimum wage in Enugu State
8. Steadily clearing up salary arrears which he inherited from the past
administration
9. Paying salaries regularly on the 25th of every month
10. Paying gratuities and pensions
11. Working on a comprehensive healthcare plan for workers
12. Promoting workers who had been unjustly denied promotion in the past
administration
13. Instituting an alternative dispute resolution system in the civil service
system
14. Working on constructing housing estates for Enugu State's workers, etc
15. Granting free health care to all pregnant women and all children under five
years of age
16. Granting scholarship to ESUT Medical students who had spent 8 years in
school but are being considered as having spent only 4 years due to
accreditation problems
17. Voting funds for a comprehensive accreditation of all tertiary schools in
Enugu State including ESUT;
18. Granting funds so that the School of Midwifery can regain its licensed it
had lost in a previous administration;
19. Rehabilitating hospitals
20. Working with law enforcement to bring safety and security back to Enugu
State by donating 63 brand new Hilux vans to the Police, Army and Air
force. These vehicles are used to patrol Enugu's urban towns INCLUDING
rural areas (Ask people you know who live in the village)!
21. Donating modern communications equipment to the Police, Army and
Airforce
22. Attracting an electronics assembly plant to Egede, Udi LGA
23. Attracting a cement factory to Amechi Idodo in Nkanu East LGA
24. Attracting a tractor assembly plant
25. A College of Agriculture to Iwollo, Ezeagu LGA
26. Attracting an ethanol processing plant
27. Redeveloping Polo Park to an outstanding recreational/shopping mall
28. Repositioning Ikenga Hotels
29. Rehabilitating Hotel Presidential
30. Distributing 42 tractors to farmers in the state
31. Initiating water schemes to be located in Nsukka and Nike
32. Voting N140 Million for electrification projects in Awgu, Uzo-Uwani, Oji-
River and Aninri Local Government Areas
33. Building housing estates all over Enugu State. He has promised to provide
at least 10,000 housing units to the residents of Enugu State
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Odunnu: 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2011
Godman_n:

Stop deceiving yourselves, no politician in Nigeria is especially those PDP theives. I am from Enugu and know very well that Sulivan is as bad as others. May be if you are one of those babes around Enugu that he takes care of you can call him a good man.

No hope for Naija
I've been dying to be one of the girls he 'takes care of', do you have someone who can link me up?
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by Godmann(m): 6:22pm On Sep 10, 2011
Odunnu:

I've been dying to be one of the girls he 'takes care of', do you have someone who can link me up?

And why must I share in your sins? Good luck
Re: Nlc Declare Indefinite Strike In Enugu State ! by ektbear: 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2011
hmm

(1) (Reply)

Israeli Success: Nigeria Will Abstain In The Un, How Pathetic! / Buhari Uses "Man-know-man" To Collect Bank Loan To Buy Nomination Form / APC Wins On Nairaland And Twitter, PDP Wins In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.