Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? (1488 Views)

So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. / Why Is PHP Not Considered As A Best Backend For Web Development Again / Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by airsaylongcome: 2:59pm On Jun 26, 2023
So I wanted to spark some conversation around programming, developers and their perceptions of PHP. There seems to be a strong “dislike” to the language and I wanted to understand why. Would you experienced developers encourage someone to learn PHP? Apart from Wordpress and Moodle, are there any major projects on the global stage that are built using PHP? What are the disadvantages of building with PHP and what considerations should one evaluate before settling on a language to learn?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Paystack: 3:02pm On Jun 26, 2023
ONLY IN NIGERIA SHA.

PHP still powers more than 70% of the web

How in Gods name is it dead?

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by siofragspot: 3:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
Unbiased1:

PHP controls nearly 80% of the world's websites while Node controls less than 1%. Most of the people who promote Node are largely JavaScript developers who want to use Node simply because it's a JavaScript framework and would be easy for them to learn and use unlike PHP that requires you to learn an entirely new language. Node js also tends to be slightly faster than PHP when used in App development, even at that, Node still doesn't have enough features to uproot PHP as its developers had expected.

Know that and have peace of mind Op

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by airsaylongcome: 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
Paystack:
ONLY IN NIGERIA SHA.

PHP still powers more than 70% of the web

How in Gods name is it dead?

I can't comment about the 70% statistic (not saying you are wrong just that I don't have the data). But a lot of the Web infrastructure today relies on PHP. So I'm really puzzled when young guns here rubbish the language. I recently came across a software called Pixelfed which is a "replica" of Instagram for the fediverse and was stunned to find out it was built with PHP. Personally I like PHP and am truly surprised that it gets a lot of flack locally
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by tosinhtml: 3:45pm On Jun 26, 2023
"What are the disadvantages of building with PHP and what considerations should one evaluate before settling on a language to learn?"

The only disadvantage is that people dislike PHP & the tech community is against it, they say it encourages bad practices & so on. So I'd advise NOT to learn it. You'd end up becoming jobless, except you want to be a full-time freelancer on Upwork.

AFAIK The language is an awesome language, very fast & easy to use. Most of the good jobs are remote jobs & if the Western tech communties say something is bad, even when you disagree, you have no option.

Most of the backend devs i know that used PHP Laravel have all moved to GO or C#. Java also is getting the hate but because It is mostly used by enterprise & those ones make a ton of revenue, so enterprise companies don't care about the hipster tech community crying about Java being too verbose.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Paystack: 4:01pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I can't comment about the 70% statistic (not saying you are wrong just that I don't have the data). But a lot of the Web infrastructure today relies on PHP. So I'm really puzzled when young guns here rubbish the language. I recently came across a software called Pixelfed which is a "replica" of Instagram for the fediverse and was stunned to find out it was built with PHP. Personally I like PHP and am truly surprised that it gets a lot of flack locally

Most people start off with front end so no need for PHP

Besides... if you don't build your backend with PHP what else would you use that has very strong community, is cheaper to whip up and almost all hosting services on earth supports it.

NODEJs? We can basically count number of Tech startups using Node in Nigeria... not sure they're even up to 20.

I mean the relevant ones grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 4:34pm On Jun 26, 2023
tosinhtml:
"What are the disadvantages of building with PHP and what considerations should one evaluate before settling on a language to learn?"

The only disadvantage is that people dislike PHP & the tech community is against it, they say it encourages bad practices & so on. So I'd advise NOT to learn it. You'd end up becoming jobless, except you want to be a full-time freelancer on Upwork.

AFAIK The language is an awesome language, very fast & easy to use. Most of the good jobs are remote jobs & if the Western tech communties say something is bad, even when you disagree, you have no option.

Most of the backend devs i know that used PHP Laravel have all moved to GO or C#. Java also is getting the hate but because It is mostly used by enterprise & those ones make a ton of revenue, so enterprise companies don't care about the hipster tech community crying about Java being too verbose.

Yeah PHP is mostly used in the freelance or platform space.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 4:43pm On Jun 26, 2023
Yeah on WordPress, you can get some gigs on Upworks and some freelance platforms, by the time you have like 2, you can be managing clients and be surviving till something big comes.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by stanliwise(m): 7:43pm On Jun 26, 2023
PHP is too far from dead. it's basically the language for start-ups and small scale team. With people who are very skilled it's a amazing tools for medium company. For large corporation, PHP stands as a competent tools for micro-services and with hack and adhoc, it can scale for large corporation. This is true for facebook and Slack and wikipedia.

At the end of the day, php remains relevant but not the only tools for the job.

It has the biggest and the largest community and the biggest resources on the web.
far too easy to learn and just seemless for backend web development even as a beginner.
Fully supported and with rapid updates with a large community support

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:47pm On Jun 26, 2023
stanliwise:
PHP is too far from dead. it's basically the language for start-ups and small scale team. With people who are very skilled it's a amazing tools for medium company. For large corporation, PHP stands as a competent tools for micro-services and with hack and adhoc, it can scale for large corporation. This is true for facebook and Slack and wikipedia.

At the end of the day, php remains relevant but not the only tools for the job.

It has the biggest and the largest community and the biggest resources on the web.
far too easy to learn and just seemless for backend web development even as a beginner.
Fully supported and with rapid updates with a large community support

Guy how far? It's been a while I have seen you around here
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by stanliwise(m): 7:54pm On Jun 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Guy how far? It's been a while I have seen you around here
It's been a while my brother.
Na work o. I have gotten so busy.
Thanks anyway.

I hope things are going fine over there too?
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:59pm On Jun 26, 2023
stanliwise:

It's been a while my brother.
Na work o. I have gotten so busy.
Thanks anyway.

I hope things are going fine over there too?

Yeah
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Maj196(m): 9:47pm On Jun 26, 2023
I've been hearing this PHP is dead since God knows when. But the language is still here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by ExplorerReturns(m): 12:18am On Jun 27, 2023
Lol. This php still never die? Despite all the prophecy of doom about it. What people fail to understand about php is that it is an ever evolving language, introducing new features and being up to date with market requirements. PHP can never die. Infact, node and other languages will die before PHP.

Finally, I am currently learning node.js and I plan to learn GO after node. As a developer just acquire as much language as you can and avoid getting sentimental about any language, no be your papa get am. No be my papa create php, if it want to die make e die.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by truthCoder: 7:28am On Jun 27, 2023
PHP fanboys wanking gleefully to this thread as they deploy another nulled script website for 25k including free domain name.

nwa buyYourGalaHere dot com

NB: i am here for peace.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by airsaylongcome: 8:49am On Jun 27, 2023
truthCoder:
PHP fanboys wanking gleefully to this thread as they deploy another nulled script website for 25k including free domain name.

nwa buyYourGalaHere dot com

NB: i am here for peace.

Have you heard about Pixelfed?
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by donsheddy1(m): 9:35am On Jun 27, 2023
Who kill am?
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Contekbbc: 10:58am On Jun 27, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Hello Boss pls
I need your attention sir.
For a programming related stuff
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by airsaylongcome: 11:02am On Jun 27, 2023
Contekbbc:

Hello Boss pls
I need your attention sir.
For a programming related stuff

I'm not a programmer o. At least not an active one. So I'm not sure I'm the person that can help you out
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2023
Php is very much like C and very much runs 90% of the web
Most programmers prefer PHP to js because it's very much like C

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Contekbbc: 2:24pm On Jun 27, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I'm not a programmer o. At least not an active one. So I'm not sure I'm the person that can help you out

Ok BOSS! THANKS
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by 3exe3: 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
airsaylongcome:
So I wanted to spark some conversation around programming, developers and their perceptions of PHP. There seems to be a strong “dislike” to the language and I wanted to understand why. Would you experienced developers encourage someone to learn PHP? Apart from Wordpress and Moodle, are there any major projects on the global stage that are built using PHP? What are the disadvantages of building with PHP and what considerations should one evaluations before settling on a language to learn?

Ever built an SDK with php
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by airsaylongcome: 3:05pm On Jun 27, 2023
3exe3:

No I haven't. But I believe there's a plethora of such out there. The conversation isn't really about projecting one Language as superior to another. It's more about questioning the denigration that a particular language faces. For me programming languages are tools for communicating with and instructing the processor. And I asked because I was surprised that one of the leading Instagram alternatives (Pixelfed to be specific) was built with PHP. I saw a statistic somewhere that said PHP powers at least two-thirds of the web. That's a formidable number to hold by a language that a lot of youngings have passed-down misgivings about. PHP may not be the best programming language after assembly, but I don't think it gets it respect especially among new local devs
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2023
3exe3:

I work on an SDK with PHP in Interswitch, any questions ?
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by 3exe3: 2:24pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:

I work on an SDK with PHP in Interswitch, any questions ?

Not really just want to know best practices for building one
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 3:57pm On Jun 28, 2023
3exe3:

Not really just want to know best practices for building one

So the moment you have a good OOP skills and a high level knowledge of the API design, because an SDK is meant to help developers to build on top your libr with little knowledge of how it works internally

So depending on what you want to offer to the user(developers)

You will need to write out, how you expect the developer to use the library.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by 3exe3: 9:40pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:

So the moment you have a good OOP skills and a high level knowledge of the API design, because an SDK is meant to help developers to build on top your libr with little knowledge of how it works internally

So depending on what you want to offer to the user(developers)

You will need to write out, how you expect the developer to use the library.

ever heard of batch requests?

the api does not implement such

buts its a feature i want to implement

will it be cool to go on with it or not
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 10:10pm On Jun 28, 2023
3exe3:

ever heard of batch requests?

the api does not implement such

buts its a feature i want to implement

will it be cool to go on with it or not

Sending Multi HTTP Requests ?
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by 3exe3: 12:50am On Jun 29, 2023
qtguru:

Sending Multi HTTP Requests ?
Yes
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by eventainment(m): 5:43am On Jun 29, 2023
The thing is Nigerians follow trends I kinda regret not learning PHP I am now stuck with other languages and I can't seem to bend toward PHP cause I got 2backend languages I use frequently and am learning another one for more job opportunities but not PHP but PHP will give you jobs. Same reason im learning C++ it's old but still relevant
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 6:19am On Jun 29, 2023
eventainment:
The thing is Nigerians follow trends I kinda regret not learning PHP I am now stuck with other languages and I can't seem to bend toward PHP cause I got 2backend languages I use frequently and am learning another one for more job opportunities but not PHP but PHP will give you jobs. Same reason im learning C++ it's old but still relevant

It's never too late, with C++ you will have some insight in PHP to some degrees.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by eventainment(m): 6:36am On Jun 29, 2023
qtguru:

It's never too late, with C++ you will have some insight into PHP to some degree.
Okay noted sha. Lemme perfect the cpp and upscale my current languages then I will think of delving into PHP

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does 1 Million Factorial Look Like? / Data Science Nigeria AI Bootcamp 2019 All You Need To Know / Please, Help This Phone Number Keeps Calling My Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.