Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless (2456 Views)

I'm Scared Of Marrying Her / My Younger Sister Has This Entitlement Mentality. Help I'm Scared For Her. / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by A772(f): 6:42pm On Dec 21, 2019
Please Nigerians I really need your advice.

My father has never been responsible to us(my mother & her 4 children, I'm the third (all girls). Though he was never educated (but very exposed) giving excuses of how witches in his village never gave him the opportunity to get educated, my mother has been the bread winner of the family, though not educated but very hardworking unlike my father. ( my mother saw us through school).

Years later, my father came up with an accusation of my mother being initiated into witchcraft and that she is responsible for his inability to take care of his family( meanwhile my father has never been educated nor has a skill). This led to their divorce. (We really suffered due to this but I have to make this writing as short as possible). I was 10 when this happened ( in 2001)
My father had so many rich women as girlfriends, due to his exposure until he finally got married to one.

My father later got married to a woman, who later took him to USA for about 9years ( they later divorced due to the fact that my father was a tough and stubborn man, and this woman too has d same attitude, so they never lasted due to this ( my mum is very gentle and that was why my dad took a tough one on her). My father could not get a job over there because he had no qualification/skill, so he had to return back to Nigeria. At this time he was already 62( years)
(Don't forget since my childhood, my father was never responsible for our upbringing till now)

Ever since he returned, he was always telling people &us that our mother due to her witchcraft is responsible for his misfortune and that we her children must pay dearly.

This year around April I was preparing for introduction with my fiancee, my fiance,Pastors in my mums church,and other elders in my fathers family(despite the fact they were never there for us) around were giving advice that I must inform my father irrespective of his misdeed about my plans on marriage, making me see some importance of father's blessing towards marriage. ( I was feeling reluctant, wondering wat blessing could come out from a father that curses his children even on their birthdays)
As soon as I took my fiancee to him, he said he will allow my fiancee marry me without stress and that he doesn't need to go through any introduction or wedding with me because he hates my mother, but he is willing to support only court wedding. ( I wept bitterly on hearing this, (he doesn't want an introduction/ wedding except court wedding)

Pastors of RCCG( My mothers church since) met with my dad several times to beg him but he gave an order that no body must represent him in his entire family and I mustn't have a wedding until my mother releases him to go back to USA to make it in life, I became frustrated, so I had to break up the relationship since my guy was also bent on fatherly blessing and that without it he can't get married to me. No one is willing to represent him in my fathers family.

How will I get married without introduction/ traditional marriage?
When will my father make it in life ( without education/skill/ business)?
I am approaching 30years, my 2 elder sisters are between ages of 32-35 unmarried ( how/when do I get married)?
Yoruba People are really laying emphases on fatherly blessing ( how do I get it from such father)?
My mum can't take decision because she is too gentle and fear what people may say of her since she is a minister in the church.

Nigerians please we need help.
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by nabegibeg: 6:53pm On Dec 21, 2019
A772:

My father has never been responsible to us(my mother & her 4 children, I'm the third (all girls). Though he was never educated (but very exposed) giving excuses of how witches in his village never gave him the opportunity to get educated, my mother has been the bread winner of the family, though not educated but very hardworking unlike my father. ( my mother saw us through school).

Years later, my father came up with an accusation of my mother being initiated into witchcraft and that she is responsible for his inability to take care of his family( meanwhile my father has never been educated nor has a skill). This led to their divorce. (We really suffered due to this but I have to make this writing as short as possible). I was 10 when this happened ( in 2001)
My father had so many rich women as girlfriends, due to his exposure until he finally got married to one.

My father later got married to a woman, who later took him to USA for about 9years ( they later divorced due to the fact that my father was a tough and stubborn man, and this woman too has d same attitude, so they never lasted due to this ( my mum is very gentle and that was why my dad took a tough one on her). My father could not get a job over there because he had no qualification/skill, so he had to return back to Nigeria. At this time he was already 62( years)
(Don't forget since my childhood, my father was never responsible for our upbringing till now)

Ever since he returned, he was always telling people &us that our mother due to her witchcraft is responsible for his misfortune and that we her children must pay dearly.

This year around April I was preparing for introduction with my fiancee, my fiance,Pastors in my mums church,and other elders in my fathers family(despite the fact they were never there for us) around were giving advice that I must inform my father irrespective of his misdeed about my plans on marriage, making me see some importance of father's blessing towards marriage. ( I was feeling reluctant, wondering wat blessing could come out from a father that curses his children even on their birthdays)
As soon as I took my fiancee to him, he said he will allow my fiancee marry me without stress and that he doesn't need to go through any introduction or wedding with me because he hates my mother, but he is willing to support only court wedding. ( I wept bitterly on hearing this, (he doesn't want an introduction/ wedding except court wedding)

Pastors of RCCG( My mothers church since) met with my dad several times to beg him but he gave an order that no body must represent him in his entire family and I mustn't have a wedding until my mother releases him to go back to USA to make it in life, I became frustrated, so I had to break up the relationship since my guy was also bent on fatherly blessing and that without it he can't get married to me. No one is willing to represent him in my fathers family.

I am approaching 30years, my 2 elder sisters are between ages of 32-35 unmarried ( how/when do I get married)?
Yoruba People are really laying emphases on fatherly blessing ( how do I get it from such father)?
My mum can't take decision because she is too gentle and fear what people may say of her since she is a minister in the church.

I just dont know how to or what to say

2 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by eyefordetails: 6:55pm On Dec 21, 2019
We'd have to wait for the ones that have successfully gone thru the marriage process..I'm a novice on this one
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 21, 2019
I am sorry dear. You are surrounded by dumb people who replaced reason with traditions. Look out for a guy who is progressive, intelligent and compassionate and understands what you went through with your useless father and will place your feelings above nonsensical norms and expectations.

I understand it is not easy being single when you wish to start a family but count yourself lucky your former fiancee is gone. He had no regard for your feelings. It is better to be single than in a miserable marriage. There is no shortage of men out there. Go out, socialize, enjoy yourself and you will meet someone great. Stay away from idiots. You don't want to repeat your mum's story. Wish you the best!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Amanee(f): 7:05pm On Dec 21, 2019
The person that wanted to marry you was never yours in the first place, if he was, he'd have found a way to make things work with you.

As for your dad, sorry to say, he's an excuse of a parent and doesn't deserve your regard for anything. Next time get a stand in uncle from your mom's side to take his place. If he can take himself out of all your lives and leave you all to fend for yourselves, he doesn't deserve respect or regard now. Don't allow him continue to make your lives miserable, there's a difference between being a father and just donating sperm. Sperm donors do not deserve the treatment reserved for fathers and vice versa. Cut that toxic man from your life.

15 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 21, 2019
If He's ready to support court wedding, ehn do it na. Ohh! It's only during introduction and engagement the parents do give court wedding abi! Well, since ur dad is myopic in nature, and waiting to be released from one stupid frame of his thoughts so that he can go and make it in US, what can I say, don't sha let his own life dictate urs, cos at the end all man will stand for himself.

8 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 21, 2019
The guy you broke up with tends to be more traditional. I don't think it's his fault if he places more emphasis on not offending in-lams. You just don't need a man with such ideologies finding yourself in this situation.

The question is, since your dad only wants to be present for court marriage, who then will take your bride price? I think that should be the most important thing.

Considering that he's 62 and uneducated, what does he still want to go and do in America that he couldn't do when he was younger?

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Pavore9: 7:45pm On Dec 21, 2019
The father is really a case! School e no go, handwork e no learn but busy blaming his wife for his failures as a man and a father.

Truth be told, any parent who neglected his/her child has no blessings to give

14 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by bukatyne(f): 8:04pm On Dec 21, 2019
A772:

First, count yourself lucky the first guy is gone.

Next, your father is ready to go to the court with you, fine.

When next you have someone, ask your dad for traditional requirements for marriage. If he does not bulge, go to the elders in your father's family.

Whatever they ask you to bring, fix a date, dress up, take your mother&siblings, husband & family and deliver it. If you are intent on a parte, have your reception somewhere close by.

As to the white, talk to your mum's church. They can do a church service at the reception venue (earlier that day) and you do your reception in a grand style or you enter house after the service.

Alternatively, you can take your pastors to the court and after court wedding, do a small service and invite people.

You can also tell the males in your mother's family to represent your dad.

There are many ways to bell a cat.

These are all the cultures and traditions Nigerian men bank on to misbehave knowing that somehow especially for the girl child, they will be required later.

7 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Mykel51(m): 8:40pm On Dec 21, 2019
Sorry to say...but with the description you gave up there...you reason sey any "fatherly" blessings fit dey his mouth...My dear ..that guy who left didn't love you. Your man will come and he would be reasonable

3 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by A772(f): 9:21pm On Dec 21, 2019
bukatyne:

First, count yourself lucky the first guy is gone.

Next, your father is ready to go to the court with you, fine.

When next you have someone, ask your dad for traditional requirements for marriage. If he does not bulge, go to the elders in your father's family.

Whatever they ask you to bring, fix a date, dress up, take your mother&siblings, husband & family and deliver it. If you are intent on a parte, have your reception somewhere close by.

As to the white, talk to your mum's church. They can do a church service at the reception venue (earlier that day) and you do your reception in a grand style or you enter house after the service.

Alternatively, you can take your pastors to the court and after court wedding, do a small service and invite people.

You can also tell the males in your mother's family to represent your dad.

There are many ways to bell a cat.

These are all the cultures and traditions Nigerian men bank on to misbehave knowing that somehow especially for the girl child, they will be required later.

He has really been a very stubborn man from his childhood, even as the last born of his family, his elder ones respect his view and always let him have his way. He never give a damn at his elders opinion but they must always pay attention to his. Infact he is indirectly the Olori Ebi(head) of his family. They always gave him the chance in other to avoid his troubles.

My father placed a curse on anyone who will ever try to replace him(in his family ) on my wedding day. So everyone has left us with our problem to avoid his troubles as usual.

Well wishers suggested we should rally round to get much money to give to my father just for him to be seated on that day, but my father refused, its not in his destiny to reap from his children, but in his destiny for us to reap from him, and that since there is nothing we can reap from him, we should zero our mind in getting married though a ceremony except court wedding(which he will only be present to append signature).Pastors too are of the opinion that we can't do church wedding until we appease our father, because fatherly blessing is so emphasized in the bible.

And that it is part of the Yoruba tradition that ones father consent must be sort for especially in marriage. And that the father is the owner of a child weather responsible or not. Whatever decision he says should be final if we don't want to incur God's wrath. And that Mothers have no say in giving their children out.

Going to court isn't the issue, but the fact that he doesn't want introduction/or any ceremonies until his own life improves (he is presently 65 years). And yet none of his relative should attend my wedding( if I decide to do it behind him) if I don't follow his orders

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by A772(f): 9:38pm On Dec 21, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
The guy you broke up with tends to be more traditional. I don't think it's his fault if he places more emphasis on not offending in-lams. You just don't need a man with such ideologies finding yourself in this situation.

The question is, since your dad only wants to be present for court marriage, who then will take your bride price? I think that should be the most important thing.

Considering that he's 62 and uneducated, what does he still want to go and do in America that he couldn't do when he was younger?

He said he doesn't want any bride price, and that when we look for how his life will be better, he will even buy two houses for our husbands and will be pleased to call us for an introduction and wedding proper.

Even my mums pastors tried sharing some wedding bills among themselves just for him to have no financial excuse but he said they are embarrassing him and that he wants to make it in life to be able to take care of all our wedding all alone, even without our husbands contributing a dime. Thus we should only go for court , when he has money of his own, he will be pleased to meet his in-laws.

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by shestrong(f): 12:01am On Dec 22, 2019
na wa
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Etteanna: 12:25am On Dec 22, 2019
A772:

He has really been a very stubborn man from his childhood, even as the last born of his family, his elder ones respect his view and always let him have his way. He never give a damn at his elders opinion but they must always pay attention to his. Infact he is indirectly the Olori Ebi(head) of his family. They always gave him the chance in other to avoid his troubles.

My father placed a curse on anyone who will ever try to replace him(in his family ) on my wedding day. So everyone has left us with our problem to avoid his troubles as usual.

Well wishers suggested we should rally round to get much money to give to my father just for him to be seated on that day, but my father refused, its not in his destiny to reap from his children, but in his destiny for us to reap from him, and that since there is nothing we can reap from him, we should zero our mind in getting married though a ceremony except court wedding(which he will only be present to append signature).Pastors too are of the opinion that we can't do church wedding until we appease our father, because fatherly blessing is so emphasized in the bible.

And that it is part of the Yoruba tradition that ones father consent must be sort for especially in marriage. And that the father is the owner of a child weather responsible or not. Whatever decision he says should be final if we don't want to incur God's wrath. And that Mothers have no say in giving their children out.

Going to court isn't the issue, but the fact that he doesn't want introduction/or any ceremonies until his own life improves (he is presently 65 years). And yet none of his relative should attend my wedding( if I decide to do it behind him) if I don't follow his orders
my sister this life is yours not your father's own if the man neglects you find way do your wedding who gives a hoot about tradition as far as the bride price is paid your mum people can collect that one and move on from the father that is using his own issues to worry your life
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:59am On Dec 22, 2019
A772:

He said he doesn't want any bride price, and that when we look for how his life will be better, he will even buy two houses for our husbands and will be pleased to call us for an introduction and wedding proper.

Even my mums pastors tried sharing some wedding bills among themselves just for him to have no financial excuse but he said they are embarrassing him and that he wants to make it in life to be able to take care of all our wedding all alone, even without our husbands contributing a dime. Thus we should only go for court , when he has money of his own, he will be pleased to meet his in-laws.

sister your story is very simple to solve

let me break it down

1 the break up of your father and mum filled you with the anger torwards your father and whatever good he does it doesnt wipe off what you went through with your mother

2 your father is indirectly protecting you but you dont see it, because of the anger and also you dont how powerful a court wedding aka registry wedding versus a traditional wedding, in simple terms if you have a court wedding and divorce one day you are protected by law to share what you both aquired during the period of marriage and not even divorce but death

3 A traditional marriage, leaves you vulnerable to due to most african tradition were the family of the late husband would grab everything you built with your late husband

4 Am not saying traditional shouldnt be done, but both you, your ex and you didnt understand the role these type of marriages play in our lifes, let me explain for most african tradition no white/registry wedding happens before the traditional wedding, what do we mean by traditional wedding we mean the whole process of introduction to the actual paying of dowry and the celebration party, all those process bring the two families together and witness and acknowledge that your marriage, then from that point you can go ahead to do a white wedding because the traditions have been done,

Usually those who do a white before a traditions wedding means there is something not right

5 Your ex he believed more into a traditional wedding nothing wrong with that, its his beliefs or how he was taught to say if there is no traditional marriage then its not marriage, but one main thing from your father, he ok for you to marry he only values the registry marriage because its protects you
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Pavore9: 4:00am On Dec 22, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

let me break it down

1 the break up of your father and mum filled you with the anger torwards your father and whatever good he does it doesnt wipe off what you went through with your mother

2 your father is indirectly protecting you but you dont see it, because of the anger and also you dont how powerful a court wedding aka registry wedding versus a traditional wedding, in simple terms if you have a court wedding and divorce one day you are protected by law to share what you both aquired during the period of marriage and not even divorce but death

3 A traditional marriage, leaves you vulnerable to due to most african tradition were the family of the late husband would grab everything you built with your late husband

4 Am not saying traditional should be done, but both you, your ex and you didnt understand the role these type of marriages play in our lifes, let me explain for most african tradition no white/registry wedding happens before the traditional wedding, what do we mean by traditional wedding we mean the whole process of introduction to the actual paying of dowry and the celebration party, all those process bring the two families together and witness and acknowledge that your marriage, then from that point you can go ahead to do a white wedding because the traditions have been done,

Usually those who do a white before a traditions wedding means there is something not right

5 Your ex he believed more into a traditional wedding nothing wrong with that, its his beliefs or how he was taught to say if there is no traditional marriage then its not marriage, but one main thing from your father, he ok for you to marry he only values the registry marriage because its protects you

Let's be blunt and truthful, the father is no way indirectly protecting her! I hope you didn't skip where she wrote that her 2 elder sisters who are between the ages of 32-35 are unmarried and probably because of the mess of their father's life. I recall posting somewhere about a secondary school classmate of mine whose father abandoned her and her sister with their mother. She said it from the onset that her father will not even get a kolanut on top of her head and she kept to it, now married to a Dutch and with kids. It is her father and his family that have been requesting she comes home to formalize her marriage traditionally and she told them she is not interested as they have no blessings to give as people who rejected them as children

12 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:26am On Dec 22, 2019
Pavore9:

Let's be blunt and truthful, the father is no way indirectly protecting her! I hope you didn't skip where she wrote that her 2 elder sisters who are between the ages of 32-35 are unmarried and probably because of the mess of their father's life. I recall posting somewhere about a secondary school classmate of mine whose father abandoned her and her sister with their mother. She said it from the onset that her father will not even get a kolanut on top of her head and she kept to it, now married to a Dutch and with kids. It is her father and his family that have been requesting she comes home to formalize her marriage traditionally and she told them she is not interested as they have no blessings to give as people who rejected them as children

you are mixing things like her

me from the reading i have understand were anger is coming from and the blame of not having a better life, but lets be serious you cant get up 32-35 year and still blame your parents

if you have noticed where your parents went wrong, what have you done yourself to improve your own situation ? dont get me wrong from her own story what the father did was wrong in not supporting and looking after his children but what has the girls done to improve their own lives ?

the father never denied her to be married, the father only put an approval to a registry wedding than a traditional one

whereas her ex, a traditional wedding is more important than what the father is suggesting

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Pavore9: 4:46am On Dec 22, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

you are mixing things like her

me from the reading i have understand were anger is coming from and the blame of not having a better life, but lets be serious you cant get up 32-35 year and still blame your parents

if you have noticed where your parents went wrong, what have you done yourself to improve your own situation ? dont get me wrong from her own story what the father did was wrong in not supporting and looking after his children but what has the girls done to improve their own lives ?

the father never denied her to be married, the father only put an approval to a registry wedding than a traditional one

whereas her ex, a traditional wedding is more important than what the father is suggesting

You know many in Nigeria believe that traditional wedding is the sign of acceptance of both families. Most families feel that when bride price has not been paid nor received, the couple are just merely cohabiting. For the father, the family has enabled him too far with his delusion of grandeur which is explained as thus: A delusion of grandeur is the false belief in one's own superiority, greatness, or intelligence. People experiencing delusions of grandeur do not just have high self-esteem; instead, they believe in their own greatness and importance even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

He can't be holding his daughters to ransom with his wickedness and selfishness, that he will not traditionally marry them out until he becomes rich, I hope you did not skip where she wrote "He said he doesn't want any bride price, and that when we look for how his life will be better, he will even buy two houses for our husbands and will be pleased to call us for an introduction and wedding proper"...what a failure of a father!

The best in the present situation is for the OP and her sisters to get involved with men who alongside the men's families will be comfortable with just a court and church wedding without the traditional and cut off from their father for he has nothing positive to contribute to their lives as he has proven to be toxic.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by ednut1(m): 4:54am On Dec 22, 2019
There is nothing wrong in only court wedding. Tho ur dad bleeped up u are also making a big deal out of nothing. Get married in court and move one with ya life. Parental blessings are not the determinants of a successful marriage. Those wey divorce had same blessings

2 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by nkwuocha1: 5:53am On Dec 22, 2019
Pavore9:

You know many in Nigeria believe that traditional wedding is the sign of acceptance of both families. Most families feel that when bride price has not been paid nor received, the couple are just merely cohabiting. For the father, the family has enabled him too far with his delusion of grandeur which is explained as thus: A delusion of grandeur is the false belief in one's own superiority, greatness, or intelligence. People experiencing delusions of grandeur do not just have high self-esteem; instead, they believe in their own greatness and importance even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

He can't be holding his daughters to ransom with his wickedness and selfishness, that he will not traditionally marry them out until he becomes rich, I hope you did not skip where she wrote "He said he doesn't want any bride price, and that when we look for how his life will be better, he will even buy two houses for our husbands and will be pleased to call us for an introduction and wedding proper"...what a failure of a father!

The best in the present situation is for the OP and her sisters to get involved with men who alongside the men's families will be comfortable with just a court and church wedding without the traditional and cut off from their father for he has nothing positive to contribute to their lives as he has proven to be toxic.

You're very correct.The dad is actually the wizard here.What kind of dad will sit and watch the aging of marriageable daughters and still go on to frustrate a positive change in their lives?

My advice to that lady?Make she pray make God "Uproot" the man.No be bad prayer,the father is the biblical stumbling block.

3 Likes

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:59am On Dec 22, 2019
Pavore9:

i get your point

but is that when you marry in most african traditions you follow what the father -in -law be say or what their says

so in this case the father in law has said a court wedding suits him well its unfortunately culture and tradition ties us down sometimes when one request our of the norm like in this case

in my own country of zimbabwe i have heard stories and last week my own cousin was forced to follow what the in laws want aka he went through the traditional marriage process, but they wouldnt let him take his wife. why? there request was we release our daughter to you via a white wedding

And my cousin had no choice but to find a near date to wed so he have his wife

like someone said her ex and his family are more of a traditional belief and her own father is more of liberal person

lets put his non parental role in the growing up of his kids, many men would rush to marriage those simply because financially the father is not demanding anything he only wants his daughters to have a registry wedding

as africans practising both traditional values and civil laws aka law we marry twice financially, 1st its dowry and if you want the civil/white wedding you pay again as like in native zimbabwe, it is the responsibility of the son -law to also pay for a white wedding, so there you are marrying twice

if my father in law only demands a white wedding i will not be bothered about tradition wedding

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Pavore9: 6:23am On Dec 22, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

i get your point

but is that when you marry in most african traditions you follow what the father -in -law be say or what their says

so in this case the father in law has said a court wedding suits him well its unfortunately culture and tradition ties us down sometimes when one request our of the norm like in this case

in my own country of zimbabwe i have heard stories and last week my own cousin was forced to follow what the in laws want aka he went through the traditional marriage process, but they wouldnt let him take his wife. why? there request was we release our daughter to you via a white wedding

And my cousin had no choice but to find a near date to wed so he have his wife

like someone said her ex and his family are more of a traditional belief and her own father is more of liberal person

In my tribe in Nigeria, the non payment nor reception of bride price puts the couple in a tough position as children from such relationship are not regarded to belong to the man but the woman's family and that's why should the man die, the man's family would still come to the woman's family to do the necessary traditional rites before they can claim the children for their late brother.

The man is not liberal but dealing with the shame that he has not achieved anything with his life, does it look like he has a home where he can invite the prospective in-laws to come to? That's why he said that the introduction and wedding proper is hinged on his daughters making sure he becomes financially comfortable so that he can have something to show off to the in-laws.
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by piroux(f): 6:40am On Dec 22, 2019
I'm sorry, OP. But you make it sound like a do or die affair to have a traditional marriage or church wedding right now. You're surrounded by people who either won't help or who are blinded by doctrines and traditions.

My Sister, find yourself a smart progressive man, tell him what's up, have a small introduction with your mother's family (here, you can add some engagement extras), go to court, have a maternal uncle sign as your father and be done with it.

That's if you must even do it all in Nigeria.

Nonetheless, you save cost and avoid curses. Your dad hears details when he mistakenly sights you with a ring.

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:49am On Dec 22, 2019
Pavore9:

In my tribe in Nigeria, the non payment nor reception of bride price puts the couple in a tough position as children from such relationship are not regarded to belong to the man but the woman's family and that's why should the man die, the man's family would still come to the woman's family to do the necessary traditional rites before they can claim the children for their late brother.

The man is not liberal but dealing with the shame that he has not achieved anything with his life, does it look like he has a home where he can invite the prospective in-laws to come to? That's why he said that the introduction and wedding proper is hinged on his daughters making sure he becomes financially comfortable so that he can have something to show off to the in-laws.

i respect your culture and tradition and belief

but can i challenge your culture, tradition and beliefs regarding this matter

is skol fees and the looking after of kids born such expensive more than kids born out a traditional wedding ? am sure your answer is No

my point is once kids are born whether, its out of wedlock, no traditional wedding or
civil wedding responsibility of looking after the kids doesnt care whether they bellong to the father or mother, its is the responsibility of the two people who produced those kids to look after them

if they belong to the father does that fact put more food on the table ? No

lets say kids are born out a marriage that was via registry only no tradition and parents are happly living together and the kids are now grow up people, do they say they belong to the father only , simply because no tradition wedding was done ?

kids belong to both parents iregardless how the parents got married

Finally am not saying your beliefs and culture are wrong, thats what you are taught to belief and you follow that and i respect that and am not saying change but i simply challenging your belief and try to see the bigger picture from how i see it
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 22, 2019
I don't get the kinda blessing he wants to give. Someone filled with hate and bitterness has no blessing to pass on o. All d best though
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Biglittlelois(f): 7:18am On Dec 22, 2019
Just do the court wedding, when the old man die, you can do the traditional and white, issa simple stuvs na.....

1 Like

Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Ginaz(f): 8:50am On Dec 22, 2019
the father sha... very wicked and selfish.
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Triniti(m): 8:52am On Dec 22, 2019
Some parents have decided to be a bondage to their offsprings. How can a sane man choose to make his kids miserable in life over some fetish belief. It’s going to be a very hard one as Nigeria marriages goes beyond you and your partner, you will need to get the traditional leader in your town involved in this. He needs to call your dad to order
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by AfroKnight: 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2019
I will tell you one thing as a man.

If you go on waiting for the alignment of the stars and planets before making progress in life, you will never take important steps and time will still go on, and then you will look back and regret your anxiety or fear or whatever it is that made you lose great opportunities.

In conclusion, go ahead with the good plans you have for yourself. Any parent who actually thinks you should suffer for the offence of his/her spouse, does not have your interest at heart. Remove their influence from your decision making process.
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 22, 2019
Life is very simple you know? Do the court wedding and leave. When time comes, he will be the one demanding for your bride price to feed. That man is doomed!
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by A772(f): 8:08am On Dec 24, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

let me break it down

4 Am not saying traditional shouldnt be done, but both you, your ex and you didnt understand the role these type of marriages play in our lifes, let me explain for most african tradition no white/registry wedding happens before the traditional wedding, what do we mean by traditional wedding we mean the whole process of introduction to the actual paying of dowry and the celebration party, all those process bring the two families together and witness and acknowledge that your marriage, then from that point you can go ahead to do a white wedding because the traditions have been done,

�you don't understand all I have written up here, anyways thanks for your opinion.
How will I relate it to my husband family that my father dosnt want an introduction nor marriage. Make we just gather ourselves go court. Haba, its ridiculous. Some wont support it. They will use it against me in the future.
Re: Reason I'm Scared Of Going Into Another Relationship Is Because Of My Heartless by A772(f): 8:13am On Dec 24, 2019
Pavore9:

You understand my ordeal dear

(1) (2) (Reply)

Truck For Hire To Anywhere In Nigeria(10 and 15ton ) / My Househelp Smokes Weed / He Left No Will Before He Died. Now The Family Is N Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.