Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,784 members, 7,813,594 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

My Househelp Smokes Weed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Househelp Smokes Weed (2450 Views)

I'm Not Comfortable With My Househelp / Husband Smokes Weed / What To Do To My Househelp? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Househelp Smokes Weed by LordReed(m): 9:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is something I am trying to get my head around. I just discovered that my househelp regularly smokes weed. This is a young man of about 24 years who is hardworking and diligent.

When I confronted him about it, he initially wanted to deny it but he 'fessed up. I was cross with him because we live right in front of a Divisional Police HQ and you know how our police are. Secondly I believe that weed smoking has a long term impact on health both physically and mentally. This young man has served well and is someone I would not want to see ruined either by police palava or health issues.

I have spoken to him and made him understand my perspective however I still get this nagging feeling that I should do more. If you where in my shoes what would you do?
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by baby124: 9:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
grin grin grin grin

You sef as bachelor get houseboy. See as naija men spoil reach. At 24 he is a man. Tell him not to do his vices in your house, and tell him of what you think the implications are. If you are really concerned about his future, you will get him busy by enrolling him in a technical college or something. An idle mind. My ex's houseboy used to catch all the babes in the neighborhood. He even looks like the oga of the house and dresses better sef. How about that? grin grin grin grin
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
[size=18pt]ROFLMAO!!!![/size]
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2012
Lord_Reed: This is something I am trying to get my head around. I just discovered that my househelp regularly smokes weed. This is a young man of about 24 years who is hardworking and diligent.

When I confronted him about it, he initially wanted to deny it but he 'fessed up. I was cross with him because we live right in front of a Divisional Police HQ and you know how our police are. Secondly I believe that weed smoking has a long term impact on health both physically and mentally. This young man has served well and is someone I would not want to see ruined either by police palava or health issues.

I have spoken to him and made him understand my perspective however I still get this nagging feeling that I should do more. If you where in my shoes what would you do?

He is 24, not 16.
You have talked to him. You can't do more.
Tell him not to smoke around your house and let him be.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 27, 2012
You're fired
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by slimyem: 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
You have limited control over how a 24-year old man chooses to live his life.
There's nothing more you can do than what you have already done by talking with and making him realise the effects of his habit...and if you are not comfortable with it,let him go and make him understand the "why" of the action you chose to take.
Why do you have a 24-year old house man btw?

2 Likes

Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 27, 2012
acidosis™:
You're fired
on point. No room for laxity.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On Nov 27, 2012
Why fire him for his PRIVATE choices? I mean he is an adult and if smoking weed is not illegal, you have no right to fire him for it. As long as he does not smoke it on your property(provided you had rules from the start barring him from smoking on premises), I see no reason why you would want to fire him. In the case that you do, be aware that he can sue you.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by slimyem: 11:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: Why fire him for his PRIVATE choices? I mean he is an adult and if smoking weed is not illegal, you have no right to fire him for it. As long as he does not smoke it on your property(provided you had rules from the start barring him from smoking on premises), I see no reason why you would want to fire him. In the case that you do, be aware that he can sue you.
Sue him?
For what?
In Nigeria?
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
slimyem: Sue him?
For what?
In Nigeria?

YES IN NIGERIA there are so many such suits out there. Do your research to find out what can happen and is happening in that same Nigerian please.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by RudySmith(m): 11:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: Why fire him for his PRIVATE choices? I mean he is an adult and if smoking weed is not illegal, you have no right to fire him for it. As long as he does not smoke it on your property(provided you had rules from the start barring him from smoking on premises), I see no reason why you would want to fire him. In the case that you do, be aware that he can sue you.

But his private choices r directly against his job duties. What if I simply do not want 2 have a weed smoking individual around my family? firing him will b very simple, a drug test will suffice.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 12:12am On Nov 28, 2012
RudySmith:

But his private choices r directly against his job duties. What if I simply do not want 2 have a weed smoking individual around my family? firing him will b very simple, a drug test will suffice.

How are his private choices directly against his job duties? He is a house boy and not a Police Sergeant. If he smokes his weed after his work hours, how does that affect his job duties?
It is one thing to say from the start that you do not want a weed-smoker/smoker of any kind around your family but the @OP makes no mention of kids, or family, for that matter. Like I said, I don't believe smoking weed in Nigeria is illegal so I don't see what the point of the drug test will be especially since he was probably employed without one of those to begin with.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by addictiv(m): 12:16am On Nov 28, 2012
i thought health wise, weed was better than cigarette........
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by addictiv(m): 12:20am On Nov 28, 2012
just imagine having such a house boy,you can even get get weed from him and get high together. its said that is bad to smoke alone..........jux kidding o
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by lafflaff123(m): 2:13am On Nov 28, 2012
@op are you stupid?

Do you want something bad to happen to your family first like the rape/death of your wife daughter before kicking him out?smh.

Weed smokers everywhere in the world are unpredictable and get their high weed from criminal dealers.

That's why 98% of all criminal/robbery gangs in Nigeria meet where to go to smoke weed.

@op waiting to see your obituary on the paper very soon where your death with will be traced to your IGBO smoking house help,mumu.

Better kick him out this morning and change the locks to your gate and house.

1 Like

Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by CrazyMan(m): 3:13am On Nov 28, 2012
Kobojunkie: YES IN NIGERIA there are so many such suits out there. Do your research to find out what can happen and is happening in that same Nigerian please.
What research...in case you don't know, weed is illegal in Nigeria. Infact from time to time, men of the Nigerian police invade hideouts of weed dealers and make lots of arrests.

So saying that a weed smoker might sue his boss for scolding him here in Nigeria is totally absurd...cos he wouldn't only loose the case, he might even earn himself a jail term.

2 Likes

Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by greatgod2012(f): 3:57am On Nov 28, 2012
Heeeeeeeeeeeey!
LWKMD
Nothing wey person no go read for NL

1 Like

Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by slimyem: 8:10am On Nov 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

YES IN NIGERIA there are so many such suits out there. Do your research to find out what can happen and is happening in that same Nigerian please.
lmao..
Research indeed..
Madam,the realities that obtain here are a lot different from what obtains in your oyiboland..
A houseboy would sue his boss for firing him?
That would probably happen in one out of thousands of cases....and especially not when the boss's reason for taking such action is his employee's weed-smoking.apart from the fact that the houseboy would have no case,chances that he'd even think the suing route or employ a lawyer are slim.
Weed is illegal in Nigeria.
Guess you skipped the part where the op mentioned one of his fears as the fact that a police station is close to his place..
You are the one who needs to do your own research!!!
CrazyMan:
What research...in case you don't know, weed is illegal in Nigeria. Infact from time to time, men of the Nigerian police invade hideouts of weed dealers and make lots of arrests.

So saying that a weed smoker might sue his boss for scolding him here in Nigeria is totally absurd...cos he wouldn't only loose the case, he might even earn himself a jail term.
Leave Kobo make she dey yarn opata as usual!
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by LordReed(m): 8:15am On Nov 28, 2012
slimyem:
Why do you have a 24-year old house man btw?

Various reasons, security being one of them.

He smokes it on my property and while I have no intentions of firing him, it will be his loss if I do. He buys it from a place not too far from the estate where we reside and if the police caught him there (they raid that place for "miscreants" ) it would not be a funny case; knowing our police they could easily rope him into armed robbery cases, this is not a new thing.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:26am On Nov 28, 2012
He is hardworking and diligent because he smoke weed.

Take the weed away and he will be lazy and retard.

Let the young man be so far he is not affecting your family.

1 Like

Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by ifyalways(f): 9:01am On Nov 28, 2012
First off, I'm not in any way against adults smoking weed especially when it does not influence them negatively .

In the OP's scenario, Its wrong for the help to be smoking weed in his house.
If he wants to smoke, he should do so @ home before or after working hours.
@OP, is he living in your house?if yes, let him know you don't want him to smoke or bring in ganja to your house, simple.would he smoke or take weed to work if he's working in a corporate org?

1 Like

Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by drmikeadams(m): 10:31am On Nov 28, 2012
does he steal your things?does he disobey you?did he rape your girl friend?if not,,,why not allow the young man smoke away his sorrows...smoking dont make some1 bad
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by youngdady: 5:29pm On Nov 28, 2012
Fire him!!! You can get him another job if he's that important to you. Don't wait till neighbours report you to the authority for harbouring a criminal (trust me, thats how they'll describe him) or he gets caught and police says you are invovled, you know how police are in naija ooooh!

For those bringing western laws into this matter. . . grin grin grin

For those asking you whether he acts crazy and if he don't you should allow him do his thing, lets be realistic, anyone who's ever smoked weed knows you can't really be in control at all time.

A day will come when you'll meet your girlfriend crying in the room. . . ah don tok ma own!!!
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2012
slimyem: lmao..
Research indeed..
Madam,the realities that obtain here are a lot different from what obtains in your oyiboland..
A houseboy would sue his boss for firing him?
That would probably happen in one out of thousands of cases....and especially not when the boss's reason for taking such action is his employee's weed-smoking.apart from the fact that the houseboy would have no case,chances that he'd even think the suing route or employ a lawyer are slim.
Weed is illegal in Nigeria.
Guess you skipped the part where the op mentioned one of his fears as the fact that a police station is close to his place..
You are the one who needs to do your own research!!!Leave Kobo make she dey yarn opata as usual!

Stop living on the roof pretending because you have never done it yourself or mustered up enough guts to, that means people don't do it at all. In that same Nigerian a garbarge man sued his friend for harm inflicted. People sue on a daily basis. All those lawyers you see at the courts, what do you think they do? Sit around to pick your teeth? Learn of your own country and stop living in that box hole you do there.

@Crazyman, I am not sure it is illegal in that country. I have not seen that law so I cannot assume it is. I can however look around at the way it is freely smoked. If you know of the exact rules, please point us there so we can all learn.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Nov 28, 2012
Lord_Reed:
He smokes it on my property and while I have no intentions of firing him, it will be his loss if I do. He buys it from a place not too far from the estate where we reside and if the police caught him there (they raid that place for "miscreants" ) it would not be a funny case; knowing our police they could easily rope him into armed robbery cases, this is not a new thing.

Well, at least you are not looking for fire him but if you do change your mind, at least be sure that you have and give him a better reason than "you smoke weed" because, like I said, the law allows him to sue you for such if you did not, in the beginning, stipulate that he was not allowed to smoke on your premises.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by slimyem: 8:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Stop living on the roof pretending because you have never done it yourself or mustered up enough guts to, that means people don't do it at all.
Do what myself?
Where did i say people don't do "it" at all?
In that same Nigerian a garbarge man sued his friend for harm inflicted.
Where is the similarity between that case and the houseboy's case?
People sue on a daily basis.
That's not news..
Why do you feel a need to say it out loud.
All those lawyers you see at the courts, what do you think they do? Sit around to pick your teeth?
...and you think they'd take up a "dead on arrival" case like this?
Learn of your own country and stop living in that box hole you do there.

I know more about the realities that obtain in my country than you will ever do.You are the one who needs to knock yourself out of the unreasonably idealistic visions in your head!!
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by RudySmith(m): 8:54pm On Nov 28, 2012
Don't they call it Indian hemp in 9ja? Is it not illegal? So, doing an illegal activity in the house (or elsewhere) is a good enough reason 2 fire the guy, who probably ain't got a contract 2 begin with. I don't have a problem if people want 2 smoke weed in their lives, but if I employ someone I expect that individual to be a non weed smoker, or else he doesn't get the job.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 12:14am On Nov 29, 2012
Whether you call it indian hemp, bag of weed, etc, no be the issue. As for illegalities,we are talking here of Nigeria, where people are still roasted alive out in the streets, and the mob moves on to their next victim afterward.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by RudySmith(m): 12:33am On Nov 29, 2012
^^^So u would allow someone 2 carry clear illegal activities in ur humble abode, where u probably have wifey and children?
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Nov 29, 2012
RudySmith: ^^^So u would allow someone 2 carry clear illegal activities in ur humble abode, where u probably have wifey and children?

It is not about what I will allow. The @Op did not stipulate from the start that he would not allow smoking of weed on his premises. grin grin grin grin

I would have drawn out a serious contract, and probably had the applicant sign in in blood(you can never go wrong with DNA) too before I even go ahead to let them near my family. I mean it all depends on the @OP. As he already announced, he has no intentions of firing the weed smoker.
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by dayokanu(m): 12:41am On Nov 29, 2012
He might become Tinubu tomorrow
Re: My Househelp Smokes Weed by RudySmith(m): 12:52am On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:
It is not about what I will allow. The @Op did not stipulate from the start that he would not allow smoking of weed on his premises. grin grin grin grin

I would have drawn out a serious contract, and probably had the applicant sign in in blood(you can never go wrong with DNA) too before I even go ahead to let them near my family. I mean it all depends on the @OP. As he already announced, he has no intentions of firing the weed smoker.

Yes u r right, the OP hasn't fired the culprit so he may be understanding on such matter, bcuz if it was me, there would b no second chances. We all know that these weed smokers go get the stuff from the dealers, and sometimes the dealers come 2 deliver the stuff 2 them *meaning the OP's home*. Imagine if there is a raid at that particular moment? in ur home?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Years Were Your Parents Married / The Newest Couple In Yenagoa, Bayelsa State / Men! We Really Need To Rethink Our Life And Our Trusts!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.