Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:08 AM

4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload (23443 Views)

Mum Says Onitsha Hospital Nurses Told Her To Buy Thermometer To Check Her Baby / Entrance Of Lagos University Teaching Hospital Will Shock You (photo) / Oluchi Okoro Dies At COOU Teaching Hospital Amaku In Hands Of Student Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by otokx(m): 6:44pm On Dec 22, 2019
In Nigeria, those that work really work but there are some who do not work; always have a reason to dodge but receive salary.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Starry321: 6:48pm On Dec 22, 2019
My mom works in as a nurse in a PHC. She works as a nurse, a doctor, a gardener, a statistician, a ward orderly and all. Na only God dey sustain her plus the love she has for her job. She doesn't rest at all. She has no 'off' days and even when she comes back home to rest after a hard day, patients still troop in to my family compound for one problem or the other.

Nigeria is messed up, Okowa said if they are not ready to work they should resign instead of assigning more hands to them. It's not easy o.

3 Likes

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by CasNova(m): 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2019
Many of our hospitals are actually understaffed. Just imagine the kind of stress that the workers go through. RIP to the dead.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by beautyhound(m): 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2019
Bolatitto56:
This is quite similar to what's happening in oau. Understaffing should be stopped abeg

every wia my broda .. come nd see FMC, Abk. terrible workload.... A&E eehn. Nd na nurses go suffer m
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by otokx(m): 6:54pm On Dec 22, 2019
Starry321:
My mom works in as a nurse in a PHC. She works as a nurse, a doctor, a gardener, a statistician, a ward orderly and all. Na only God dey sustain her plus the love she has for her job. She doesn't rest at all. She has no 'off' days and even when she comes back home to rest after a hard day, patients still troop in to my family compound for one problem or the other.

Nigeria is messed up, Okowa said if they are not ready to work they should resign instead of assigning more hands to them. It's not easy o.

If you check the records, there is indeed a statistician, a gardener, a ward orderly, etc who draw salary from the government but are permanently absent from work so Okowa is not the bad guy. Once they say do biometric head count for salary they will all appear. Nigeria being messed up starts from all of us, tell your mom to stop doing other peoples work and save her health. Tell me too to do the same.

3 Likes

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by beautyhound(m): 6:54pm On Dec 22, 2019
Greatness28:
R.I.P

But Which Workload? Nursing Work are Shifting (Morning, Afternoon And Night. Beside, are they not paying there Salary as at when due.?

Let them accept it that, is God time

ignorance is bliss my brother. just tank God for ur own... its d kinda of ur Ignorance our pple in power feed on

2 Likes

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 22, 2019
englishmart:
A lot of the nurses I know are lazy and careless. Something else is responsible for their deaths certainly not the workload. Workload and most truck-pushers I know are still alive?

It’s not only about hard work bro.
The mental stress.
Minds dealing with diff people & illnesses consistently.
Not enough time for the mind to get over death but then it’s right there thinking how to save another.
Most nurses have other jobs so even when they are not in the hospital. They are not really free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by chijioke17(m): 7:07pm On Dec 22, 2019
Greatness28:
R.I.P

But Which Workload? Nursing Work are Shifting (Morning, Afternoon And Night. Beside, are they not paying there Salary as at when due.?

This is a very insensitive thing to say. Have you been to a ward in a federal hospital before. In some wards there are over 20 patients with different illnesses. Some with burns that take an average of an hour to clean amidst screams from the patient. And you have only 3 nurses to cater for those 20 patients, sometimes only 2, and you are saying this. The WHO best care practices suggests 4 nurses to a patient. But you have 3 nurses to 20 patients and you expect them not to break down?. Be sensitive to some issues, don't be naive please

4 Likes

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Starry321: 7:08pm On Dec 22, 2019
otokx:

If you check the records, there is indeed a statistician, a gardener, a ward orderly, etc who draw salary from the government but are permanently absent from work so Okowa is not the bad guy. Once they say do biometric head count for salary they will all appear. Nigeria being messed up starts from all of us, tell your mom to stop doing other peoples work and save her health. Tell me too to do the same.
You will not understand. Every month end, she a matron, must submit statistics to the LG HQTR. Nobody is being paid for that. They don't employ people for that. PHC's are understaffed. The nurses in the LGA travel with their statistics to the hqtr. It is a statisticians job to do all the data stuff , but none has ever been employed since she started working. Gardeners used to be employed by the community where she works. But they have stopped. She pays people from her pocket to take care of the place. You won't understand unless you see things for yourself.

We have always talked to her about overworking herself. She doesn't really listen. I don't know if you ever read that story about the indispensable doctor. My mom works like that. She has six years to retirement Sha. She really needs to rest.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 22, 2019
Hospital work no be small thing o

You can now learn a skills or trade at the comfort of your home, this is strictly for serious minded people
You can learn this training -:

1) Solar/inverter installation/maintenance
2) Laptop repair and maintenance
3) Mobile phone repair and maintenance
4) Satellite TV installation
And many other.we are going to be updating the website with different training program
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by midnighter(f): 7:19pm On Dec 22, 2019
rusher14:
Incomplete story.

If you cannot tell us how each happened one cannot make a sound judgement.

They should have gone into more detail to make the story more credible.

Its possible in a large teaching hospital for 4 people to die within the space of 6 months for so many different reasons, not necessarily connected to goings on at work.

How was the disengagement of ad-hoc staff directly responsible for the death of the 4 people? 4 48-56 year old people when life expectancy is 54?

How many staff died in the 6 months previous to the disengagement? How many hours did they work then compared to now and what is the ratio of the increased patient volume? Thats what I would have liked to read instead of just normal complaining that we complain all the time.

Most people do not have a favourable view of nurses so appealing to popular sentiment alone has a low chance of evoking any real sympathy. They should have given more information.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Jaqenhghar: 7:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
Bedwyr:
Unfortunately, stress is something that most Nigerians don't talk about, talkless of treat.

If you complain of stress people will make it look like you are weak and lazy. That country's citizens have a very wrong notion of strength

1 Like

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 22, 2019
englishmart:
A lot of the nurses I know are lazy and careless. Something else is responsible for their deaths certainly not the workload. Workload and most truck-pushers I know are still alive?
the type of stress that truck pushers engage in is much dofferent frm the ones of nurses cheesy.the truck pusher"s stress is body stress and body stress is even good for the body asper lifting weights or pushing those heavy trucks but for nurses its psychological stress and that one is not good at all.

1 Like

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Jaqenhghar: 7:24pm On Dec 22, 2019
otokx:
In Nigeria, those that work really work but there are some who do not work; always have a reason to dodge but receive salary.
Did you say some? Bros the dodgers arw in the majority. Thats why the system is the way it is. You pay people to sut and do nothing. The system is over burdened with unproductive people
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by CaptainFM1: 7:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
Greatness28:
R.I.P

Stress is a silent killer no amount of money can buy! If they need more workforce, there's no two way about it.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by juman(m): 7:36pm On Dec 22, 2019
A country one cannot proud of.
Everything is upside down.

Nigeria of our dream remains a dream forever.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by blackfish56: 7:39pm On Dec 22, 2019
So if 4 nurses for in space of 6 month
How many patient come die
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Greatdre(m): 7:49pm On Dec 22, 2019
englishmart:
Dude, the nurses you know are auxiliaries.. We are talking about professional nurses here, please give some respect

1 Like

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Greatdre(m): 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2019
Greatness28:
R.I.P

Its because of perceptions like this that nurses are leaving the country in mass. So, because the run shift, a nurse should be nursing 30patients at a time? Later, you Nigerians would blame them of not being caring

2 Likes

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by newdawn2017(f): 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2019
Bolatitto56:
This is quite similar to what's happening in oau. Understaffing should be stopped abeg
nobody will enslave me like that abeg, I will borrow money through bank & apply abroad, dia fadah!! undecided
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by blowjohn(m): 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2019
englishmart:

A truck pusher is just like an athlete.
The truck pushing keeps him or her fit.
Besides for those women to be called 'chief's nurses means they were in their 40s to 50s to 60s.
U won't find a truck pusher in those age groups u know.
Now do the math.

1 Like

Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by ENG0701: 8:04pm On Dec 22, 2019
UPTH needs serious financial help. The dispensary is empty and they are owing pharma companies millions, some since 2014. Now they want to relieve some nurses.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by midnighter(f): 8:11pm On Dec 22, 2019
chijioke17:

This is a very insensitive thing to say. Have you been to a ward in a federal hospital before. In some wards there are over 20 patients with different illnesses. Some with burns that take an average of an hour to clean amidst screams from the patient. And you have only 3 nurses to cater for those 20 patients, sometimes only 2, and you are saying this. The WHO best care practices suggests 4 nurses to a patient. But you have 3 nurses to 20 patients and you expect them not to break down?. Be sensitive to some issues, don't be naive please

The complainant should have said all of that in the OP instead of being emotional.

If you give evidence people will have less licence to make nasty or uninformed comments. Thats not to mention the kind of crazy experience he may have had with nurses before.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Ladycoolbreeze(f): 8:11pm On Dec 22, 2019
Greatness28:
R.I.P

Don't be myopic boy
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by lagdmark(m): 8:12pm On Dec 22, 2019
englishmart:
You will not understand because you've been living on other people's wealth, when you take responsibility and earn your own money then you will understand.
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by DarkJeddi(m): 8:19pm On Dec 22, 2019
Greatness28:
R.I.P

Rubbish.. angry
Re: 4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload by Obec70(m): 8:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
Sometimes I begin to wonder what kind of country is this, is It that's there are not people qualified to do same job or people no longer interested in that profession? Why is it understaffed? Yet this government is promising millions of jobs that are not visible, do they have eyes that cannot see?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon / Coronavirus: Cure In Sight As Australian Scientists Recreate Virus / What Can Be The Cause Of My Friend's Childlessness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.