Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . (850 Views)

Clerk Of Rivers Assembly Says Hon Edison Ehie Was Not Elected Speaker / Nigeria Will Be In Trouble If Obi Is Not Elected President – Adebanjo / Wike Mocks Buhari Over Insecurity: You Were Not Elected Just To Obtain Loans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Ctorch: 9:07pm On Dec 22, 2019
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, says the 9th National Assembly is irrevocably committed to protecting the interests of the people through diligent discharge of its legislative duties.
The Speaker said this on Sunday in Lagos while speaking at the ”Gbaja 2019 End of the Year Grassroots Empowerment Programme”.
Gbajabiamila said criticism that the 9th Assembly was a rubber stamp to the executive was not fair, saying the fact that the legislature was on the same page with the executive on issues of national interests did not make it a rubber stamp.

The Speaker added that he, like his colleagues in the National Assembly, was not elected to fight the executive and that lawmakers would disagree with the executive if there was the need to do so.
”People, naysayers, critics and people from other parties have said the 9th National Assembly is a rubber stamp to the executive.
”You know my reply when they say that to you? Tell them that you would rather have a rubber stamp National Assembly that will bring progress than the one that is fighting the executive without progress.
”This is because when two elephants fight, the grass suffers. This is not a rubber stamp National Assembly; this is a National Assembly that represents the people and is committed to their interests.
”The people of Surulere Federal Constituency 1 did not elect me to go and be fighting the executive; Is that what you asked me to go and do?
”Rather, you asked me to engage and collaborate with other stakeholders to deliver democratic dividends, part of which we are having today.
”This is a new dispensation where there will be checks and balances, there will be separation of powers, we will disagree with the executive when there is need to do so and agree with them if there is need.
”But our watchword will be the interest of the people. That is the oath which I and my colleagues swore to,” he said.
Gbajabiamila said the return of the country’s budget cycle to January to December was one of the greatest democratic achievements in the last 20 years.
He said the new cycle was a good development for progress as it would enhance planning and implementation of budget.
Gbajabiamila argued that late passage and signing of the budget was a major impediment to its proper implementation, saying that Nigerians should expect a paradigm shift from the new cycle.
‘Let me explain the January to December budget cycle better. The constitution says the budget cycle shall be from January to December or another time as prescribed by the National Assembly.
”But what the constitution intended is that January to December is the life span of the budget, and the reason for that is government can plan, investors can plan and there is enough time to execute what has been budgeted.
”We have had difficulty in implementation in the last 20 years like 40 per cent, 30 per cent, because of delay in passing and signing the budget.
”Investors lacked confidence, they could not plan because there is uncertainty because the constitution has been violated.
”So in the past 20 years, this is the first time we are having the January to December budget cycle and it took the emergence of the 9th Assembly to fulfil that constitutional provision,” he said.
On the border closure, Gbajabiamila said the measure was already yielding positive results by greatly boosting the capacity of rice farmers and had increased of local agricultural produce, especially rice.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that 23 saloon cars, 90 lap tops, 30 power generators and 301 sewing machines were given to beneficiaries at the programme in his Surulere 1 Federal Constituency.
The Speaker also gave between N100,000 and N200,00 grant each to 500 business owners as well as 30 photocopiers and 309 home solar systems to other beneficiaries at the programme.
The Speaker said he organised the empowerment programme to impact positively on the lives constituents by supporting businesses and easing transportation problems.
He said other projects being undertaken in the constituency included reconstruction of Mercy Eneli Street, Chief Bereola Street and Esther Dada-Adeniji Link road to Ishaga to make living easier for the people.
Gbajabiamila urged the beneficiaries of the latest empowerment programme to use the items for the purpose of empowering themselves.
In his remarks, Alhaji Tunde Balogun, Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state, commended the Speaker for the empowerment, saying the party and the people were proud of him.
He also commended his constituents for their support for the Speaker, saying that the empowerment items were the dividends of their support.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/12/i-was-not-elected-to-fight-executive-gbajabiamila/?fbclid=IwAR1u9ITIKQzOywmEaSjTHIYuX6Z01rFJmlGPoxyBBA1emFIh52PTJjvVR7s

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by rusher14: 9:09pm On Dec 22, 2019
Nuff said.
Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Beosten(m): 9:09pm On Dec 22, 2019
Igbo dominated Jonathan's presidency; northerners dominate Buhari's presidency, so what's the difference?

Why are PDP online rats won't cease attacking Senate and other institutions?

Listen to me, government is a lesser devil when compared with the citizens of this devilish nation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Ndibunna: 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2019
This is what you get when you elect a Coward into political office.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 9:17pm On Dec 22, 2019
Nice one Gbaja.

3 Likes

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by RoyalUc(m): 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
Gbaja, better start fighting Buhari o, so people from certain quarters will hail you as the brave hero of democracy.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by RoyalUc(m): 9:32pm On Dec 22, 2019
Ndibunna:
This is what you get when you elect a Coward into political office.

Since when has peaceful coexistence and collaboration translate to cowardice?

Chinua once said we often stand at the compound of the coward to point at the ruined houses of the brave.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Racoon(m): 9:53pm On Dec 22, 2019
As part of the NASS you were elected to constructively checkmate the executive and not to be its appendage.
Ahmed Lawal is talking rubbish.This glorified mumu is also talking rubbish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by deboysben(m): 10:04pm On Dec 22, 2019
Lawal and gbaja led 9th Assembly are nothing but a puppet. they have rendered our legislation useless no check mate no vision.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by TooMuchStuff: 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2019
Both Lawan and Gbajabi are ballless Womales parading themselves in male clothings.

Of what use is NASS if not to checkmate the tyranny of the President?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by omenka(m): 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
The mind of a typical pdp supporter is nothing more than a hot air balloon.

These incorrigible punks who go about applauding the House of Reps, United states for impeaching Trump and calling our legislature a *rubber stamp* (not like I like them anyway, because they are thieves), forget the US Senate, dominated by Republicans, has already FORCLOSED any ideas about convicting the President. But to these nutjobs here, there is nothing wrong with that, since like I said, they have absolutely nothing upstairs.

Once you aren't seen abusing everyone like Nnamdiot Cownu, or waking up your parents with a bicycle kick to their head, or opposing the president regardless of the propriety of his actions, then you are a coward and "balless womales*.

I will always regret having them as fellow countrymen.

Spits.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by BuhariAdvocate: 10:38pm On Dec 22, 2019
Good point.

1 Like

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Beosten(m): 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2019
Racoon:
As part of the NASS you were elected to constructively checkmate the executive and not to be its appendage.
Ahmed Lawal is talking rubbish.This glorified mumu is also talking rubbish.

Why are you always in pain?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Beosten(m): 10:53pm On Dec 22, 2019
deboysben:
Lawal and gbaja led 9th Assembly are nothing but a puppet. they have rendered our legislation useless no check mate no vision.

Smuggle your sarathief back there as Senate president na.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by GamalNasser: 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2019
Neither were you elected to be their RUBBER STAMP!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by RoyalUc(m): 11:03pm On Dec 22, 2019
Beosten:

Why are you always in pain?

I don't understand that guy o!

I wonder how someone can be in pains from January to December without a moment's joy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Nobody: 1:35am On Dec 23, 2019
Both executive and lawmakers were elected on the same policy agenda or election manifesto during elections.

So why expect the same lawmaker to transform into opposition and frustrated effective and smooth delivery of election promises?

Lawmakers are not there to checkmate the executive as somebody suggested, they are they support the executive in delivering their election manifesto promises, by creating and amending appropriate legislations to facilitate the smooth implementation of election and budgeted promises.

Of course when need arises they can. also provide checks and balances as an arm of government.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by backnbeta(f): 5:49am On Dec 24, 2019
A democratically elected parliament is expected to act in defence of our traditional liberties, and everything should be done to keep it that way, even if it means sometimes disagreeing with the executive power. A parliament that agrees with everything the executive brings forward, regardless of how it affects the masses is at best a toy parliament!
Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by Nobody: 5:53am On Dec 24, 2019
Re: I Was Not Elected To Fight Executive — Gbajabiamila . by BigSarah(f): 6:03am On Dec 24, 2019
You weren't elected rather imposed on your constituents

(1) (Reply)

Do Not Give Your Phone To Any Police Officer That Stops You On The Road- NPF / Seyi Makinde Is The Best Governor In Nigeria – Davido Declares / Borno People Begin Fasting And Prayers To Defeat Boko Haram(video,photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.