Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,020 members, 7,835,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. (65523 Views)

Husbands Of Groom And Brides Moms Whos Dressing Got People Talking Spark Reacti / Husband Thanks His Wife For Putting His Name Under Her Father's House (Pix) / Emotional Torture In My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2019
[quote author=CeterisXVII post=85182783][/quote]

Lmfao !

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by BlackPantherCri: 3:05pm On Dec 24, 2019
Sterope:
Do you mean that you have have managed to convince yourself that wincing in silence meant no pain?

Pain is a part of life. We have to deal with it. That's why we have adults who cant manage stressful situations. Because of helicopter parenting.

The child focuses on the after, the beautiful hair she will adorn. The pain is temporary. When the hair is all done, she's prancing about like a peacock showing all and sundry her beautiful hair.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 3:07pm On Dec 24, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

Wowza

Yh wowza !

You spoke trash.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 24, 2019
1Sharon:

Straight from Google word for word grin

Girl, forget it. I died when she compared a genetic mutation that codes blond hair to a genetic DISORDER.

As in how do you compare a code that codes for the color blonde to a disorder that leads to the ABSENCE of color, lmaoooooooo

Different gene defects characterize different types of albinism e. g OCA1 - a defect in the tyrosinase enzyme is just one way Albanism could develop.

People like her know little, yet think they know a lot. I'll let her wallow in her ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 24, 2019
Anybody who has a basic understanding of race, evolution and genetics would know what Surrey2Bimshire has been spewing is trash.

Don't stress yourself @ 1Sharon. She can't be helped
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:17pm On Dec 24, 2019
1Sharon:

Yh wowza !

You spoke trash.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:18pm On Dec 24, 2019
1Sharon:

Yh wowza !

You spoke trash.

Alright , you’ll be alright

I can’t be arse at this point �

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:18pm On Dec 24, 2019
fieryy:
Anybody who has a basic understanding of race, evolution and genetics would know what Surrey2Bimshire has been spewing is trash.

Don't stress yourself @ 1Sharon. She can't be helped

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 24, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

Girl, your Biology teacher did you bad. Comparing a genetic mutation of a code coding a certain color to a disorder that leads to the absence of color.

Which kind of school did you go to?! No, your teacher didn't try at all. At ALL, lol grin

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Sterope(f): 3:46pm On Dec 24, 2019
Pian is part of life. That type of pain is not part of life. It should be a personal choice to want that pain or not. I cannot remember the last time I associated pain with my hair.

Exactly! It is about others not her. She is not a peacock.

The pain is not temporary. At least once a week, she gets her plaited or braided and she spends at least two days wincing every time she puts her head down to sleep.

BlackPantherCri:

Pain is a part of life. We have to deal with it. That's why we have adults who cant manage stressful situations. Because of helicopter parenting.

The child focuses on the after, the beautiful hair she will adorn. The pain is temporary. When the hair is all done, she's prancing about like a peacock showing all and sundry her beautiful hair.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:48pm On Dec 24, 2019
fieryy:

Girl, your Biology teacher did you bad. Comparing a genetic mutation of a code coding a certain color to a disorder that leads to the absence of color.

Which kind of school did you go to?! No, your teacher didn't try at all. At ALL, lol grin

Both are genetic mutations .

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 24, 2019
[quote author=Surrey2Bimshire post=85184271][/quote]

Don't just screenshot. Actually click on them, read and educate yourself girl. You need to fully understand what you're talking about.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 24, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

Both are genetic mutations .

Nobody is saying they aren't both mutations, but do not confuse two facts.

The first mutation is one that codes a COLOR, that means the color is PRESENT

The second mutation is responsible for the ABSENCE of color.

Looool.

See your explanation nau

Yes, albinos lack pigmentation due to a mutation that causes a genetic disorder.

Note: The mutation itself causes the disorder and it's that disorder that leads to the ABSENCE of color.

The other is a mutation of a code that codes a COLOR. The color is PRESENT.

Two different mutations.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:56pm On Dec 24, 2019
fieryy:

Don't just screenshot. Actually click on them, read and educate yourself girl. You need to fully understand what you're talking about.

I do person , I’m very much aware .. are you ?

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:58pm On Dec 24, 2019
fieryy:

Nobody is saying they aren't both mutations, but do not confuse two facts.

The first mutation is one that codes a COLOR, that means the color is PRESENT

The second mutation is responsible for the ABSENCE of color.

Looool.

See your explanation nau

My explanations are accurate .
Have a remarkable day

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 24, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

My explanations are accurate .
Have a remarkable day

No darling, they are not.

Let's define mutation

'The changing of the structure of a gene, resulting in a variant form'

There are 3 types of mutation

1) Base Substitutions

2)Deletions

3) Insertions

A change in a base pair, or letter, in the KITLG gene is responsible for blonde (Base Substitution). Color is PRESENT

Deletions however are responsible for a lot of genetic disorders. (e.g Albanism)

Since there are different types of Albanism based on WHICH gene mutation caused the disorder, there might be a total absent of color OR a significantly reduced amount of color.

Color is in this case is melanin.

Fact is, the two mutations are different, you can't compare them. One is based on base substitution, the other on deletion

I've tried breaking things down for you because it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. Your facts are correct because you had them from the internet, but since you lack the background to truly understand them, you kept spewing trash.

Summary :

One mutation leads to the coding of a color

The other to a disorder, which then leads to the absence of it

This is an argument you'd lose, if you didn't have time to be running to google up and down. I did biology during my A-Levels, the only people you can fool with your mixed up facts are those who are as clueless as you.

Now swerve abeg

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by BlackPantherCri: 4:38pm On Dec 24, 2019
Sterope:
Pian is part of life. That type of pain is not part of life. It should be a personal choice to want that pain or not. I cannot remember the last time I associated pain with my hair.

Exactly! It is about others not her. She is not a peacock.

The pain is not temporary. At least once a week, she gets her plaited or braided and she spends at least two days wincing every time she puts her head down to sleep.

No, she gets her hair done once in three weeks. One week a month I let her hair breathe. The pain is not life threatening. If it was very terrible, she won't sit. And I make her hair myself. She does not wince when she has to sleep.
When you have your daughter, deal with her hair as you please. My daughter is not complaining. kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 4:51pm On Dec 24, 2019
1Sharon:

Did you go through this thread? I was saying that Nigerians don't have healthy hair practices and everyone was jumping on my comment and insulting me instead, I was offering advice..jheezz undecided

Did you go through the thread? I concurred several times that our haircare practices are lacking yet you kept droning on and on as if you're the only person who's ever watched a YouTube tutorial before.

Saying that putting attachments in children's hair is "self-hate"and stating categorically that

1Sharon:
blk women don't look good in weaves

Will definitely evoke a response because it's a controversial opinion. If you have something to say state your case, argue intelligently and take in what other people say before responding.

Don't vomit ignorant statements all over and then start whining when people challenge you on them.

Nobody is your slave here that we have to take your condescending, arrogant diatribes lying down.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 5:08pm On Dec 24, 2019
CeterisXVII:
Please take yourself out of my mentions. I do NOT need a tutorial from you, on how to handle my hair. Irú elénìní wo, l'elèyi? shocked

cheesy these Yoruba nuggets you keep leaving just dey sweet me and I can't even understand what you're saying hahaha

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by crackhaus: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2019
Lol @google intellectuals cheesy
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Pacesetter123(m): 6:59pm On Dec 24, 2019
midnighter:

Hmm! Its good to clarify something. Carry go Sir cool
Thanks for ur understanding dear.Nothing do you at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 24, 2019
fieryy:

No darling, they are not.

Once someone starts a conversation with "No darling", I know they're about to be hell out PETTY grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 8:34pm On Dec 24, 2019
midnighter:

cheesy these Yoruba nuggets you keep leaving just dey sweet me and I can't even understand what you're saying hahaha
Babe, there are times you want to express something so badly, and English words just are not enough to convey the depth of your feelings? It was one of those moments.... grin

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 24, 2019
truthsayer009:

Once someone starts a conversation with "No darling", I know they're about to be hell out PETTY grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
tongue

As for the question on your status… he should keep the fro grin
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by peacefulhome(f): 8:53pm On Dec 24, 2019
computergeek:
She should never go throw any pain at all until she's old enough to decide that she wants to do it.

And by old enough, I mean 18.

Modified: most ladies on this thread are misunderstanding the point. The point of the article is not packing hair into buns or braiding, but braiding without pain! Yes, they can pick her hair gently so she won't cry like she's being operated on without anaesthesia.

Your comments all over the thread are about maintenance. While maintaining buns and tails can be hard sometimes, it's better to use all that money you'll spend on attachments and paying hairdressers to buy good conditioners and Shea butter that will soften the stubbornest hair types, so it can combed easily. I have a friend who styles her two daughters' buns in less than ten minutes.

Even cornrows and simple Bob Marley can be done without pulling the girl so much.

There's no excuse for causing a little girl any pain. No excuse at all.

From what I have seen around me with such mother's. Most of them are doing it to please people.
Like this festive period , you go and do your survey. You will see how the faces of some kids will be looking , all because their parents want them to do their hair, so it does not look as if they can not take care of them.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:29pm On Dec 24, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Babe, there are times you want to express something so badly, and English words just are not enough to convey the depth of your feelings? It was one of those moments.... grin

Lol yes o, I understand. Your exasperation was showing through to the point that I dont even need a translation haha cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 24, 2019
fieryy:

tongue

As for the question on your status… he should keep the fro grin

Hahahahaha Sis, If i was his mother. I will make sure he not only keeps the fro BUT does Braids, all back.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Babacele: 8:01am On Dec 25, 2019
fieryy:

I didn't what? I stated very clearly earlier that I do not care, if the child's hair is braided or in a bun. I'm very aware of the fact that natural hair is time consuming, since mine is as well. However, I do have a problem with the pain are lot of kids have to go through just in the name of 'fashion'. Let kids be kids and educate yourself on afros instead of just Brazilian wigs
Apt! so apt! few days ago, i had to force myself to look away when a lil girl of about 5 in heart wrenching tears was practically begging the mother and the ' hairdresser' to free her from their clutches as the useless stuff their were braiding on her head was damn hurting! Why they weren't moved by the pleas and pains of that lil child still baffles me.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 8:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
peacefulhome:

From what I have seen around me with such mother's. Most of them are doing it to please people.
Like this festive period , you go and do your survey. You will see how the faces of some kids will be looking , all because their parents want them to do their hair, so it does not look as if they can not take care of them.

I've missed a lot on this thread o. How come I didnt get any mentions again? cry
Mothers plait their children's hair to keep it neat and well groomed always and to help it grow. Black hair (I will speak for 4C hair type) breaks easily if not well maintained and conditioned/moisturised. Unfortunately, children cannot do that themselves. If you leave their hair unplaited or unbraided, it will start breaking after a while.
Combing it every morning is also a big chore because you should ideally ensure it's all detangled, but those with unrelaxed long 4C hair will still cry their eyes out. You have to make sure it's well detangled and combed before you pack it in a bun. That means every morning, they get to school unhappy after crying because you combed their hair.
I know some say combing hair shouldn't be painful, but no matter what, you still have to pull the hair from the scalp. If the hair was relaxed, it wouldn't need detangling and would be easier to comb and not pull too much. Unfortunately, some of us mothers with daughters would rather they get older to make the decision to relax their hair or not
I've been tempted severally to get my girl's hair into dreadlocks, as it's cool, easier to maintain (though you need to try and lock it every 2-3 months or so), and your dreads will also grow. But when you're tired of the locks, you may be forced to cut the whole hair. I would also rather she makes that decision herself of keeping dreadlocks or not. She has beautiful hair.
To those shouting self hate about mothers plaiting their children's hair (they're not even putting Brazilian wigs or nonsense on the hair o. Even the pictures the OP posted on the first page shows a girl with fake buns/extensions on her head. ) , it's rather self love. It takes a special kind of love to make sure your child is well groomed, neat and to ensure her hair grows well. The easier option is of course to cut it. But what effect will that have on your child?
Afterall, many of us generally believe that hair is the crowning glory of a woman.
Several studies conducted on female show that they are more confident when their hair is in top form.
Children can be very mean to each other, and when your child has a low cut is in class with other children with plaited hair, that can tell on their self esteem. They see the boys in their class with low cut, and wonder why they are not like other girls
Some children are naturally self confident, and wouldn't care about a low cut, but some are very sensitive to it especially in their formative years.

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2019
eyinjuege:

I've missed a lot on this thread o. How come I didnt get any mentions again? cry
Mothers plait their children's hair to keep it neat and well groomed always and to help it grow. Black hair (I will speak for 4C hair type) breaks easily if not well maintained and conditioned/moisturised. Unfortunately, children cannot do that themselves. If you leave their hair unplaited or unbraided, it will start breaking after a while.
Combing it every morning is also a big chore because you should ideally ensure it's all detangled, but those with unrelaxed long 4C hair will still cry their eyes out. You have to make sure it's well detangled and combed before you pack it in a bun. That means every morning, they get to school unhappy after crying because you combed their hair.
I know some say combing hair shouldn't be painful, but no matter what, you still have to pull the hair from the scalp. If the hair was relaxed, it wouldn't need detangling and would be easier to comb and not pull too much. Unfortunately, some of us mothers with daughters would rather they get older to make the decision to relax their hair or not
I've been tempted severally to get my girl's hair into dreadlocks, as it's cool, easier to maintain (though you need to try and lock it every 2-3 months or so), and your dreads will also grow. But when you're tired of the locks, you may be forced to cut the whole hair. I would also rather she makes that decision herself of keeping dreadlocks or not. She has beautiful hair.
To those shouting self hate about mothers plaiting their children's hair (they're not even putting Brazilian wigs or nonsense on the hair o. Even the pictures the OP posted on the first page shows a girl with fake buns/extensions on her head. ) , it's rather self love. It takes a special kind of love to make sure your child is well groomed, neat and to ensure her hair grows well. The easier option is of course to cut it. But what effect will that have on your child?
Afterall, many of us generally believe that hair is the crowning glory of a woman.
Several studies conducted on female show that they are more confident when their hair is in top form.
Children can be very mean to each other, and when your child has a low cut is in class with other children with plaited hair, that can tell on their self esteem. They see the boys in their class with low cut, and wonder why they are not like other girls
Some children are naturally self confident, and wouldn't care about a low cut, but some are very sensitive to it especially in their formative years.

True very true . It’s definitely not a one way street for a lot of people

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Bananaz: 8:59am On Jan 08, 2020
I don't see anything wrong with sleek good-looking hair, it was always considered as beautiful in every country. And I am ashamed that some people neglect it and I think that's because their parents haven't taught them about proper hair routine. But at least nowadays you have access to various resources which can fill this knowledge gap. Thanks to the internet now I know that my hair type is 3C and I have all the styling tools to maintain it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Naturally Determining The Sex Of Your Babies - By Francis Ewherido / Bayelsa Man Shows His Two Wives On Facebook (Photos) / PHOTOS: Lady Gets The Shock Of Her Life After Opening A New Baby Cream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.