Stats: 3,194,803 members, 7,956,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids (72699 Views)

Walter Wallace Jr. Shot Ten Times By US Police Officers, Sparks Protests / US Police Breaks Car Window, Drags A Black Man Out, Finds Out He's Innocent / US Police Officer On Duty Records Himself Having Sex With Woman In His Office (2) (3) (4)

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by bestabigaelever(f): 10:30am On Dec 25, 2019
On February I was on my way from ogbomosho to Ilorin to deliver jewelries to a customer, I was on low cut tinted gold, Sars stop my bus, asked me to come because of my hair, after searching, they asked me to go
Since then, I always dress like alhaja to Ilorin, even If I carry drugs since I don dress well, I no go get problem

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by IamMichaels: 10:31am On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

Forget it bro. My English and accent is dope. The SARS that tried that shiit with me ended up looking ashamed after some moments of interrogation. I've been stopped by a few agencies even army, I always burst the market, they don't just release me but their entire catch every now and then I'm stopped. I liberate hands down and I make sure I do no pidgin when I speak to law enforcement officers.

And yesh. I dress down. Even as a male

Oh I forgot to mention within few minutes of SARS interrogation I aim for my browser open financial earnings on international site ( withheld), shame covered the SARS dude and unbelief that a young man could make money legit and look clean in the country. Forget. Clean money gives a man guts

Oga the SARS when you dey meet still get small conscience.. I pray make you never go meet those ones wen dey smell like juju.. Before you open your financial earnings.. You go know wadup.. because dey don't even want to know
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by IpobAntidote: 10:32am On Dec 25, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Nigger, when I say sonething is done I mean the citzenry dont sit down ( the way you people do) and make excuses for bad behaviour. There are protests, panels are set up, etc. No one said it is heaven on earth but it beats living in that shithole 100000000 times over

Hey son, I'm not your nigga. Grow up.

If you just landed for the US and have the urge to sound like a thug then do it with your fellow thugs not me.
I have lived and still travel to the US on bi weekly basis for more than 35 years.i have e been there and done all that looks like diamonds to you right now.

So all that shithole is in your head . GROW UP..

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Jeezuzpick(m): 10:33am On Dec 25, 2019
booblacain:
- A Nigerian man who works as a police officer in the U.S, has spoken out about his experience in Nigeria

- Identified as Olu, he recently came for the holidays and revealed that he has been stopped on several occasions by the police in Lagos

- Olu stated that he was profiled as a criminal due to the fact that he wears braids

The level of police brutality against innocent citizens remains a fundamental issue in the country. Several cases of people being arrested due to their looks or the cars they drive, have caused outrage on social media.

A Nigerian man identified as Olu who works as a police officer in Washington DC in the U.S, recently came down to Nigeria for the holiday. However, Olu revealed on Twitter that within his 4 days in Nigeria, he has been profiled as a criminal by the Nigerian police due to the fact that he wears his hair in braids.

He wrote: "4 days in Nigeria & I have already been profiled as a criminal by the Nigeria police force. They profile people based on looks. Male with dreads, braids and so on. I work for the Washington DC as a police officer and I have braids. Enough of the profiling! @TunjiDisu1 @aleeygiwa"

https://mobile.twitter.com/wearethe2030/status/1209263937939791873

Dude's lucky he wasn't shot.
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by sofiscatedmoron: 10:38am On Dec 25, 2019
police will be like, "u be yahoo abi?
oya enter moto grin"

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by MuttleyLaff: 10:42am On Dec 25, 2019
donstan18:
Na so!
One slap, you go begin scream "Oga Abeg"

healthserve:
I've been confronted by almost all uniform and non-uniform security officials. Their weakness is your boldness. Just be bold. They become weak

donstan18:
Audio Boldness.

healthserve:
Another stereotype. Used to be one of your ardent fans. But then, your foolery obviously displayed today. Donstan has reduced to dust.

Enjoy
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4461216_fbimg1478683394235_jpeg23207c37006fd1fa5b263bfab3004d30
Somebody cannot have fun and joke in peace again with you Nigerians sha. donstan18 was only enjoying himself, catching fun winding you up nah.

I can attest and confirm this boldness thing you're talking off though because I remember back in the day, when I used to regularly go to Naija, sometimes even two-three times in a year. This is how it went down. I cant remember what exactly happened, except that our car was temporarily stationary on that Lekki - Epe Expressway at VI, not far from the Lagos Oriental Hotel, the one popularly alleged to be owned by Tinubu, anyway this policeman came over, all I suddenly heard my missus tell him, that he better be careful and to mind how he is talking and who is addressing, because, and/or else this his uniform he has on, before he knows it, will be taken off him, that in short, he'll lose his job and uniform. I was thinking to myself see "gobe dis policeman wan land hinself into" and kept on quietly watching the drama going on between him and my missus. Just like you said, the boldness weakened the policeman, he took style make a quick disappearing act from us, lol. My missus get mouth, sometimes she develops so exceedingly large balls more than me, lol and the other times she could be as scared as a trapped mouse, and it'll be me doing gra-gra, with her trying to get me to calm down, lol.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by ifeomabernard(f): 10:46am On Dec 25, 2019
donstan18:

Na so!

One slap, you go begin scream "Oga Abeg"

And that's the reason they'll keep treating y'all as trash, because you're too much of a pussy to do anything about anything !

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by bukatyne(f): 10:48am On Dec 25, 2019
Like the say, dress how you want to be addressed.

It is believed that your outward appearance is an interpretation of what runs through your mind.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Allwell96: 10:51am On Dec 25, 2019
In this part of the world, your appearance really matter...
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Dantedasz(m): 10:59am On Dec 25, 2019
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Bahddo(m): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2019
To be fair, it's not just the police. It's a Nigerian thing to prejudge based on appearance. Most of us Nigerians are guilty of it mostly because of religion and tradition. We look at people and immediately assume they are good or bad based on their looks.

The police simply have guns and authority backed by the law. Many Nigerians complaining would also harass other Nigerians if they had the guns and authority.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by bigass123(m): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2019
finalboss:

Imes kor

Imo ni undecided
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Bahddo(m): 11:06am On Dec 25, 2019
bestabigaelever:
On February I was on my way from ogbomosho to Ilorin to deliver jewelries to a customer, I was on low cut tinted gold, Sars stop my bus, asked me to come because of my hair, after searching, they asked me to go
Since then, I always dress like alhaja to Ilorin, even If I carry drugs since I don dress well, I no go get problem
as in, this is one of the big problems with law enforcement in this country. They look at the wrong things and the real criminals usually slip by unnoticed while they are harassing someone for looking different.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Myself2(m): 11:07am On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:
Profiling ke.. More like sick degenerative entities who have pre-emptive and stereotypical expectations and assumptions that if you're clean or not scruffy you're a " thief".

Same stereotypical reasoning permeates into the ordinary citizenry where people come up with all sorts of delusional projections and judge issues/people without careful rationalisations. Needless to give examples, but let me put out a few, you sound intelligent, you're a fraudster just using English to disguise. You dress well as a lady, you're an olosho

U wanton hurried assumptions is now replacing rationalism and critical thinking in the society. Deal with it. Too many in this society are too mentally ill to even know their own conditions and too broke to seek needful help for corrections.

Trust me, over 80% are mentally unstable. If you doubt it, at the close of day observe the frantic lunatic displays in the mad craze displayed... You'll see the sickness in the heart and mind of the society

Everything you've tried to explain above is actually what is called profiling

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by wagazala: 11:32am On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:
Profiling ke.. More like sick degenerative entities who have pre-emptive and stereotypical expectations and assumptions that if you're clean or not scruffy you're a " thief".

Same stereotypical reasoning permeates into the ordinary citizenry where people come up with all sorts of delusional projections and judge issues/people without careful rationalisations. Needless to give examples, but let me put out a few, you sound intelligent, you're a fraudster just using English to disguise. You dress well as a lady, you're an olosho

U wanton hurried assumptions is now replacing rationalism and critical thinking in the society. Deal with it. Too many in this society are too mentally ill to even know their own conditions and too broke to seek needful help for corrections.

Trust me, over 80% are mentally unstable. If you doubt it, at the close of day observe the frantic lunatic displays in the mad craze displayed... You'll see the sickness in the heart and mind of the society

And you aren't being stereotypical by assuming 80% are mentally unstable. Get in line bro, we all going to see the shrink together. grin

Merry Christmas.
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Patrioticman007(m): 11:33am On Dec 25, 2019
Blacks lives matter not only in Nigeria, but USA too.
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by bestabigaelever(f): 11:34am On Dec 25, 2019
Bahddo:
as in, this is one of the big problems with law enforcement in this country. They look at the wrong things and the real criminals usually slip by unnoticed while they are harassing someone for looking different.
No be only them o, people dey do am too
They look at u like this undecided especially those with nose rings and tattoos
That's why I dey tell all my friends both boys and girls, make we dey low key, no piercing no tattoos, even though we bad grin
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Jaqenhghar: 11:35am On Dec 25, 2019
IpobAntidote:

Hey son, I'm not your nigga. Grow up.

If you just landed for the US and have the urge to sound like a thug then do it with your fellow thugs not me.
I have lived and still travel to the US on bi weekly basis for more than 35 years.i have e been there and done all that looks like diamonds to you right now.

So all that shithole is in your head . GROW UP..
No one asked where you have been Nigger( and frankly no one cares) its unfortunate with all that exposure you still reason the way you do.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by osazsky(m): 11:36am On Dec 25, 2019
Bunch of hungry fool that was how d other day one saw votrun and was shouting na thier oga be that,they expect all youth in Nigeria to still he driving 504 spits on them fools,anyone that braids hair driving a car is a Yahoo boy any one putting on black wears is a criminal and cultist oga starts profiling waitin Musa nor go see for gate

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Bahddo(m): 11:43am On Dec 25, 2019
bestabigaelever:

No be only them o, people dey do am too
They look at u like this undecided especially those with nose rings and tattoos
That's why I dey tell all my friends both boys and girls, make we dey low key, no piercing no tattoos, even though we bad grin
lol. Yeah. We are pretty shortsighted in this part of the world. Europe used to be like that too (even burning people on suspicion of witchcraft), so there's hope for Africa.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by bestabigaelever(f): 11:45am On Dec 25, 2019
Bahddo:
lol. Yeah. We are pretty shortsighted in this part of the world. Europe used to be like that too (even burning people on suspicion of witchcraft), so there's hope for Africa.
I pray so
Merry Christmas
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:53am On Dec 25, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
what is he complaining about....?! the US police does exactly the same thing, duh!
Thank you very much

At the risk of sounding like am defending the NPF, Nigerians who come from abroad want to always complain about the very same thing they put up with while abroad just to gain traffic

USA police are notorious for this very same issue
I'm not dumb enough to believe this happens only here in nija

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by IpobAntidote: 12:00pm On Dec 25, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

No one asked where you have been Nigger( and frankly no one cares) its unfortunate with all that exposure you still reason the way you do.

Hey son, like I said before GROW UP. When you get older and your eye don clear, you will get that shithole out of your head.

That's the problem with people like you that just left your villages recently, you think the moment you land for Oyinbo land you have to lose all your senses and start calling your fatherland shithole. You are what you are, a product of your environment- SHITHOLE.

Speaking like a gang thug member is not the life you want to live. Again, grow up and grow some balls.

Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Bayoibee: 12:02pm On Dec 25, 2019
E get luck say no be sars
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Farki: 12:05pm On Dec 25, 2019
drugcartel:
Truth be told, In Nigeria, most criminals have certain attributes that make them easily identifiable in the public and these attributes which are usually based on appearance are what Security officers tend to consider when observing people on the road which is not so in US because such way of dressing is completely normal to them. From childhood we are taught that the way you appear to people is the way you will be addressed, If as a guy, you have dreadlocks (which most times look unkempt), tattoos with ear, nose and tongue piercing, No one will ever take you serious and you will always be seen as a suspect for crimes committed around your area because most criminals dress in away that completely singles them out(more like a way that deviates from normal) all because they want to feel high, strong headed and big. This is exactly the same way a lady with tattoos, all forms of unusual body piercing, anklet, contact lens etc will be seen as a runs girl. However,that doesn't mean that any guy on braid and tattoo is a criminal, Some guys just want to appear hard and fierce to people with no criminal mind attached to it. For them it's more of an art or how they want to express themselves or to be identified, nothing more, nothing less
Please enlighten me since politicians are the biggest criminals in the country should old men wearing agbada be detained for no reason?
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by sojiadebayo: 12:09pm On Dec 25, 2019
That's how we roll here bro Olu
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Jaqenhghar: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2019
IpobAntidote:
[s][/s]

Hey son, like I said before GROW UP. When you get older and your eye don clear, you will get that shithole out of your head.

That's the problem with people like you that just left your villages recently, you think the moment you land for Oyinbo land you have to lose all your senses and start calling your fatherland shithole. You are what you are, a product of your environment- SHITHOLE.

Speaking like a gang thug member is not the life you want to live. Again, grow up and grow some balls.
You sound like you want to cry pops grin
No vex eh. It aint that deep old man. Just voicing out my opinion no matter how unpopular it is.
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by guru90: 12:11pm On Dec 25, 2019
US police.... 9ja no the obey 9ja constitution. The one I saw for my territory.....Omo.... come see long hair with his Gun....

SMH...
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by Bobbyfreshh(m): 12:13pm On Dec 25, 2019
ndcide:
The police (NPF) are doing their jobs.

You dress like a criminal, you will attract attention. Washington police, is not the standard for police operations globally. In fact, policing is local.

Dress the way, you want to be addressed

Rubbish
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by xreal: 12:22pm On Dec 25, 2019
Please don't use that word "profiling"; it sounds as if Nigerian Police are doing the right thing.

Don't be surprised to know that those who stopped you are off-duty seen at illegal checkpoints.
Re: US Police Officer Reacts As Nigerian Police Profile Him Because Of His Braids by BENEAMATA: 12:25pm On Dec 25, 2019
donstan18:

Wetin this one dey even yarn?

Na pidgin you go start to dey use explain yourself when Sars go catch you.

No be by all these ones you dey type here grin
bros , i tire oh .! instead make him advice him broda dj olu make he go barb 'skin " dey waka jeje for we naija wey we dey now . any way enuff dollars dey to roger boys grin

Indonesia Execution: Titus Igweh Begged To See His Wife And Kids (photos) / The Malaysia-Based Nigerian Shot Dead By Gunmen In Aba Was A Cultist (Photos) / Vandalization Of COVID-19 Palliatives Warehouse At Mazamaza: LASG Condemns Act

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90