Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,015 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria (3251 Views)

My Leap Into Sack Yam Farming / Is Snake Farming A Profitable Business? / Okro Farming – A Surefire Way To Make N1 Million Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alberttahir: 7:17am On Jan 01, 2020
dyoungforester:

yes, with my 200 yam set as at last year. the bigger the yam the better the Chances
k. it depends on region sha.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 2:26pm On Jan 01, 2020
if you harvest once you might not get up to date bro
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alfather: 3:45pm On Jan 01, 2020
dyoungforester:
Having 900 yam sets, You earn of a profit 700,000 per year if harvested twice. if 2000 yam sets, you can earn up to 1.5M in year if harvested twice.
it seems you are planting yam for the first time i quess. Am into this yam stuff and i will tell you the truth about it. Is very imposible to harvest yam twice a year using the same seed from previous harvest. If you plant oct_nov, your harvest will be aug of the following year. Am talking from experience because am a yam farmer, but am switching to water melon because the work in yam farm is very tidious. If you plant 1000 heap, not all wil germinate, some wont produce well giving you small size, some of the heap will produce seed yam, while some will produce big tubas. To be precise if your yam hit the market from july, august, you are assured to sell your yam at a give away price because of yam supplusity at that time. So this your assumption of twice havest and a milion naire return, let yur chik hash first

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by MikeBetty(m): 3:58pm On Jan 01, 2020
Alberttahir:

#700,000 from 900 yam set? how is this possible, have you achieve that in real practical experience?
My Dear, Dont Be Victim Of Cyber Farmers ooo, They Will Use Every Enticing Words To Lure You Into Buying Seedlings. In Yam, The Main Harvest Is The First Harvest. The Second Harvest Is The Seed For Planting. If You Jump Into Yam Planting Base On Online Projection, You Might End up Regrating Venturing In. Please Try And Meet Offline Farmers Who Are Real Farmers, Ask Questions Before Making Decision.

1 Like

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alberttahir: 6:50pm On Jan 01, 2020
thanks for your advice sir. that was what necessitated my questions to the op. I'm a farmer too, and from my experience so far, what the op wrote is not achievable here in my place.

1 Like

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 5:21am On Jan 02, 2020
MikeBetty:
My Dear, Dont Be Victim Of Cyber Farmers ooo, They Will Use Every Enticing Words To Lure You Into Buying Seedlings. In Yam, The Main Harvest Is The First Harvest. The Second Harvest Is The Seed For Planting. If You Jump Into Yam Planting Base On Online Projection, You Might End up Regrating Venturing In. Please Try And Meet Offline Farmers Who Are Real Farmers, Ask Questions Before Making Decision.
see you, who are computer farmers, the second harvesting do you want to tell me everything is for the seed, my bro your knowledge on yam farming is inferior, seek more knowledge we shall guide. what you don't know is different from what you know
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 5:26am On Jan 02, 2020
Alberttahir:
thanks for your advice sir. that was what necessitated my questions to the op. I'm a farmer too, and from my experience so far, what the op wrote is not achievable here in my place.
hmm, how many time do you harvest, the second harvest is what you don't have the knowledge of. a lot will it is the seed, what turn to yam?. my last harvesting was a great lesson to me. what you experience is different from what you don't experience. I rest my case .
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 5:51am On Jan 02, 2020
Alfather:
it seems you are planting yam for the first time i quess. Am into this yam stuff and i will tell you the truth about it. Is very imposible to harvest yam twice a year using the same seed from previous harvest. If you plant oct_nov, your harvest will be aug of the following year. Am talking from experience because am a yam farmer, but am switching to water melon because the work in yam farm is very tidious. If you plant 1000 heap, not all wil germinate, some wont produce well giving you small size, some of the heap will produce seed yam, while some will produce big tubas. To be precise if your yam hit the market from july, august, you are assured to sell your yam at a give away price because of yam supplusity at that time. So this your assumption of twice havest and a milion naire return, let yur chik hash first
you are right bro, I will soon break down my calculation to you on the said amount. Based on your aforementioned point, You truly a farmer.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alberttahir: 7:01am On Jan 02, 2020
dyoungforester:

hmm, how many time do you harvest, the second harvest is what you don't have the knowledge of. a lot will it is the seed, what turn to yam?. my last harvesting was a great lesson to me. what you experience is different from what you don't experience. I rest my case .
this is how it is done here. planting starts from December down to February. Harvesting is twice, the first is the tuber which is usually harvested from July to September. the second harvest is the yam seed, which we divide into sets and replant
for the next season. is there other way it can be done? please educate us , I'm here to learn.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alfather: 7:25am On Jan 02, 2020
dyoungforester:

you are right bro, I will soon break down my calculation to you on the said amount. Based on your aforementioned point, You truly a farmer.
you can never run at a loss in yam farm if the farm is well cultivate. I just finish weeding mine recently and have done the staking, i was able to cultivate 700 heap single handedly from october till this time. It took me that long because i do go to work.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alfather: 7:25am On Jan 02, 2020
dyoungforester:

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:19am On Jan 02, 2020
yes, second harvesting will bring yam seed, if the heaps is big enough and it is well manage. you will definitely get 60% yam from the second harvest and 40% will be yam seed based on the individual goals.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:21am On Jan 02, 2020
and based on my experience, second harvesting even yield more than the 1st harvest.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:26am On Jan 02, 2020
[12/18/2019, 2:52 PM] Dyoungforester Farms: *On the expected profits.*. The Planted yam sets is 2,000 , in cases of unforeseen situation. We have 1,900.
[12/18/2019, 2:53 PM] Dyoungforester Farms: And the bigger the yam sets the better the income
[12/18/2019, 2:54 PM] Dyoungforester Farms: Here in Abeokuta, 3 big yam is sold for between 1200-1500
[12/18/2019, 2:56 PM] Dyoungforester Farms: First harvesting 1900/3 number of yam*1200(price)= 760,000
[12/18/2019, 2:57 PM] Dyoungforester Farms: Second harvesting. 1500\3*1200=600,000
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:31am On Jan 02, 2020
second harvest is usually much more visible when the planting begin between Mid October to November, or mid December. Anything from January or February, 1st harvest will give you much yam, and the second harvesting will be majorly yam sets.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:36am On Jan 02, 2020
as at last year, I invested on yam farming with 11,000, coupled with poor management on a long run. I realized my 11k back with over 35k as a cash + plus 400 yam sets realized. Total heaps cultivated then was 250 heaps.

1 Like

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:44am On Jan 02, 2020
I harvested randomly, first harvesting was around June, and second harvesting was made in October. the one harvested in June had already grown into another yam, and the one harvested in October gave me only yam sets because of the lateness in Mid November when I wanted to do replanting
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:48am On Jan 02, 2020
my colleague I bought 400 yam sets from, all the yam he begin to sale in October was his second harvest. 40 yam sets, 60% yam.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 10:53am On Jan 02, 2020
All the 400yam sets cost me 21,000. Yam is Money, Yam sets too is money. I wonder why someone calling himself a computer farmers, instead of him to seek knowledge. In fact first harvest usually get more costly than the second harvest due to it in availability on the market.
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alberttahir: 4:03pm On Jan 02, 2020
[quote author=dyoungforester post=85430215] "the one harvested in June had already grown into another yam"
Mr, once a yam is harvested it can never regrown into tuber at that season. what you have after, is yam seed no matter how early it was harvested. and the calculation you made up there is not realistic. in yam farming there are so many risk factors that can affect your outcome. Pests are also there. yam beetle, cricket, mouse are just few that'll compete with you, though some they can be control but not 100%. the chief of all the factors is rain except you have alternative source of water for irrigation. it's very rare to have 80-90% germination in yam farming. your germination rate and harvest time is chiefly dependent on rain fall. yam farming is profitable if wel managed, but one can never say or boast of certain outcome because nature has so much to decide.

1 Like

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 6:28pm On Jan 02, 2020
[quote author=Alberttahir post=85439185][/quote]

Ok ooo, I rest my case. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by dyoungforester(m): 6:30pm On Jan 02, 2020
[quote author=Alberttahir post=85439185][/quote]
My view is mine, your view is yours. Success to all.

1 Like

Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Alberttahir: 7:41pm On Jan 02, 2020
dyoungforester:

Ok ooo, I rest my case. May God help us.
amin
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by Mraphel: 12:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
dyoungforester:
Having 900 yam sets, You earn of a profit 700,000 per year if harvested twice. if 2000 yam sets, you can earn up to 1.5M in year if harvested twice.
You're exaggerating
Re: Yam Farming A Means Of Livehood In Nigeria by brownemmanuel43(m): 2:31pm On May 24, 2021
dyoungforester:
All the 400yam sets cost me 21,000. Yam is Money, Yam sets too is money. I wonder why someone calling himself a computer farmers, instead of him to seek knowledge. In fact first harvest usually get more costly than the second harvest due to it in availability on the market.
U mean u started with 21k?
Can yam be planted in any soil or is their special soil for it?
I want to start the business but no ideal and I believe I will do well in this business

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coconut Milk Grinding Machine For Sale / . / Investment Farming Cucumber Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.