Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History (6552 Views)

Bayo Onanuga: Atiku Abubakar's Penchant For Distorting Facts / Osun Tribunal: INEC Committed Crime By Distorting Official Documents(BVAS) / Magu Is Distorting Facts — Dauda Lawal Writes Salami Panel (2) (3) (4)

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by prizlezzlalasky(f): 4:45pm On Dec 27, 2019
Perkins2018:

Forsyth is biased. He is a Christian missionary in Igbo land. How would you see the account of an Egyptian based in Kano?

Would love to see that one too... Whats the tittle and author's name please. I disagree with the above though cause I have read different accounts from neutral writers too.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Okwyjesus(m): 5:00pm On Dec 27, 2019
Kestolove:
She dont hv sense

And she wrote so many award winning books. Who really don't have sense. Am just wondering.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by MightySparrow: 5:01pm On Dec 27, 2019
history is the record of what didn't happen told by someone who was not there believed by idiots.
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by olasco2035: 5:08pm On Dec 27, 2019
thank u sir for wasting those 3m Igbos
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by joeyfire(m): 5:22pm On Dec 27, 2019
0monnak0da:

All stories need to be heard for balance and equity,
The Benin Story, The Lagos Story the Port Harcourt Story The Urhobo story
The January 15 Story

All stories matter

Obasanjo has written books, same for Alabi-Isama, Ojukwu etc when will Gowon put his story in print so we can know what happened in Aburi and the war. He just goes around making all these flaky, contradictory statements that hold no water.

It's been revealed that Oba Akenzua talked him out of Aburi. http://www.punchng.com/biafra-memo-akenzua-aburi/

So him saying the Aburi accord was misunderstood by both sides is just plain childish and disgraceful for a man of his age

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by chrisugoson(m): 5:25pm On Dec 27, 2019
Gowon history has placed anathema on you
when you said that your soldiers were disciplined, you mean they were following your orders during the Asaba massacre?
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by duncun: 5:37pm On Dec 27, 2019

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Edaniels9(m): 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2019
Dude you are the one full of hate. With what you spewed here, it's not hard to see that your hatred for the ibo tribe will consume you soon. There are so many accounts of the civil war written/narrated by people from different tribes, races and walks of life and all point to the fact that the Nigeria army committed war crimes. What Gowon said is inarguably incorrect. The same people you are defending are the same people few brave ones(Fela, Sowore, etc) from your tribe went all out against. It is either you just hate the ibos or you are comfortable with being oppressed.

Oshigun:

You Igbos will be judged by God for your inglorious take on issues to the extent the finest education , even after many decades, cannot assist you in seeing the culpability of your grandparents and their ignominious roles in the advent of the brutal civil war all sides suffered over. So Nigeria just decided to wage war against Igbos and kill them while Igbos were innocent victims entirely blameless over the civil war? Let me ask you Igbos, especially emotional intellectuals like Chinamanda, why the man who took you to war accepted to be pardoned by Nigeria and even ran for office of the same nation he swore Igbos must sever links with. Yet you lot will never blame Ojukwu or the many vainglorious cowards who led your grandparents to their death.

It is the Yorubas and Hausa/Fulani misguided Igbos like Chinamanda must keep calling 'genocidaires' . Newsflash for Igbos. Chinamanda and co are wasting their time. Young Yorubas don't care and we don't feel we did anything wrong. Igbos should develop more emotional maturity or keep hating. Makes no difference in this day and age.

It is very simple. You hate Yorubas/Hausa and Fulani then stay away from them. Proclaiming to hate them daily and fingering them as the cause of all your woes is hypocritical and unprincipled in so far as you Igbos cannot remain in your corner and stay away from them.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by 0monnak0da: 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
NimrodEndOfDays:
Then why were you talking like you had relatives who died in the war?
I am not here on Nairaland to tell my story that is not the right place for that

Stop talking like a silly child
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 6:37pm On Dec 27, 2019
0monnak0da:

I am not here on Nairaland to tell my story that is not the right place for that

Stop talking like a silly child
is this how you were trained?

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by 0monnak0da: 6:40pm On Dec 27, 2019
NimrodEndOfDays:
is this how you were trained?

Guy go and play

I am not in the mood for childishness
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Perkins2018: 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2019
Vortex369:

It is banned. He banned it after the war. Ofcourse you have not read any history of the war. There are no syllabus on it. You want me to show you proof that our Civil War History is banned, when you already know its banned or you are not aware that it was banned.

Who do you think banned it, when Gowon lead the country then and after.

Think, buddy think.

Bla bla bla.....

Show me a proof that history was ever banned in Nigerian schools or shut your trap.
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by knowledgeable: 6:51pm On Dec 27, 2019
0monnak0da:

Was Achebe unbiassed?
Achebe was the propagandist of the Biafra regime
The Biafran forces were no saints neither were the Nigerians let us be honest and fair

It is not a competition so there is no point for me enumerating the well documented atrocities on BOTH SIDES

Achebe and Chimamanda are motivated by the need to keep the Biafra story alive which is a legitimate thing to do however their accounts by any measure are one sided . There are two sides to this story. Quite wisely the Nigerian sides have kept quiet because there is no point dredging up stuff if there is a genuine need to heal and reconcile.

As we have seen on Nairaland repeating both sides ad infinitum will change NOTHING.
It will achieve nothing.

That is the nature of war and people should learn from that

If we go to war today even greater numbers will die.

Wole Soyinka;.... "The man dies"..nko?.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by duncun: 7:13pm On Dec 27, 2019

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by 0monnak0da: 7:17pm On Dec 27, 2019
knowledgeable:

Wole Soyinka;.... "The man dies"..nko?.
Your point being?
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2019
Edaniels9:
Dude you are the one full of hate. With what you spewed here, it's not hard to see that your hatred for the ibo tribe will consume you soon. There are so many accounts of the civil war written/narrated by people from different tribes, races and walks of life and all point to the fact that the Nigeria army committed war crimes. What Gowon said is inarguably incorrect. The same people you are defending are the same people few brave ones(Fela, Sowore, etc) from your tribe went all out against. It is either you just hate the ibos or you are comfortable with being oppressed.

You are talking like a child. Only Igbos don't accept what war is and the damage it can do before they plunge headlong into it to then be playing victim. Feel free to conclude I hate Igbos. I don't care. Any objective person, bar Igbos who are hardly ever objective, will know it is the endless 'victim' noise, many decades after the civil war, that many Yorubas and intellectually balanced people hate. You Igbos don't need mollycoddling. You need the hard, uncompromising truth. That you make this asinine and decietful noise at the expense of others is condemnable.

From all historical accounts, Gowon is a decent and humane man not the monster Igbos try to portray him as. Then again he is not alone here as Adekunle is an ogre , according to Igbos, rather than a valiant soldier who acquitted himself well serving his Country. Awolowo is a bloodthirsty tyrant while Buhari, that Igbos continue to hate passionately till today, need not even be mentioned. The reality for pragmatists is that each and everyone of these men were doing their best for their Nation and side in a war as it must be. Only the Igbos cannot understand this.

I notice the betrayal of Ojukwu, when he ran for Nigerian office after having a direct impact in the death of millions, is not discussed much by Igbos who prefer to regale their kids and generations unborn with the 'atrocities' of Buhari, Gowon, Adekunle, Awolowo et al while little is said about the many vainglorious Igbo war leaders who led Igbos senselessly to their death. Kanu is doing same today as proof Igbos never learn. When Python dances it is that part of of the narrative alone Igbos will remember and not the nuisance and security threat Kanu constituted himself into that no sane nation in the world will accept. Biafra secret service? Can America or the UK accept that without smashing Kanu and IPOB to dust?

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by churchee: 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2019
Kestolove:
She dont hv sense

Shame on you if this is all you have to say. I doubt if you even read that piece above.

That Indomie sense of yours!

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by NGpatriot: 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2019
The woman is another self-righteous tribe obsessed bigot, I remember how she cosigned achebe's tribal and bigoted rants, very unbecoming and divisive, but of course, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. They are all raised with and fed the same tribal us against them hatred, bitterness and cultural paranoia.

I watched her TED talk about “The Danger of a Single Story.”, but she promotes nothing but the same single story about Nigeria that's grossly flawed, shallow, one-sided, tribal and ignorant.

Education is supposed to wash away ignorance, but such is not the case with this woman, for obvious reasons of course.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2019
Perkins2018:

Bla bla bla.....

Show me a proof that history was ever banned in Nigerian schools or shut your trap.

You hate yourself enough to be a slave of tribe and loyal to a certain political oligarchy.

You are a slave Neo
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2019
duncun:
Don't even bother with "Mr epistle writer" he has an inbuilt hatred for the igbos and he's well known for that.

Him and his muslim brothers will defend Gowon today for the war crimes he commited against biafra ppl, but will exonerate the fulanis for killing gowon's ppl and nearly sending them into extinction.

You don't get it. It is you Igbos other now don't 'bother' with much like the boy who cried wolf too many times. Many are tired , worldwide , i.e not even in Nigeria alone, of your attitude of seeing the speck in the eyes of others while you miss the boulder in yours. You attack Tinubu and the likes of Ganduje with such venom daily while you hypocritically ignore your Governors, who are perhaps the worst and most corrupt in Nigeria. Next minute it is to be playing victim over the war or pronouncing all your kinsmen/women innocent before they are tried in court for allegations of wrongdoing. Una persecution complex nko?

Bros abeg look in the mirror if you want to see a face others don't bother with anymore and just scoff at. If you lot keep others out of your hatefest then many of them will ignore you. You cannot malign the character of others and then tell them to shut up and accept you doing such. Gowon does not have loved ones or is it Chinamanda alone that should talk and try to shout authoritatively above real players from the civil war , one the Nigerian side, like Gowon, PMB and co? I wonder why Ojukwu remains your hero till today while Gowon and Buhari are hated passionately by you lot.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 27, 2019
Kestolove:
She dont hv sense

Yet she is so sensible enough to sit in the company's of those that runs the world while with all your imaginary psuedo-senses you still remain faceless running amok on a faceless forum posting gibberish which you delusionaly mistake for being sensible.

As for dummy gowon, I'm sure he wasn't born in 1914 when the southern and northern protectorates where amalgamated to form the current hell on earth called Nigeria yet he tells the story because it was documented so that generations yet unborn then like him and chimamanda will read and have a knowledge of what happened before their birth and it is called History.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2019
donbachi:
if we kill our selves today,who will make it straight.

It will become another history that will be straightened up maybe by a more sensible unborn generation.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 27, 2019
Okwyjesus:

And she wrote so many award winning books. Who really don't have sense. Am just wondering.

The senseless one that has added zero value to humanity and accusing a sensible world renowned and accomplished individual of not having sense is actually the un-opposed senseless one.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 27, 2019
NGpatriot:
The woman is another self-righteous tribe obsessed bigot, I remember how she cosigned achebe's tribal and bigoted rants, very unbecoming and divisive, but of course, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. They are all raised with and fed the same tribal us against them hatred, bitterness and cultural paranoia.

I watched her TED talk about “The Danger of a Single Story.”, but she promotes nothing but the same single story about Nigeria that's grossly flawed, shallow, one-sided, tribal and ignorant.

Education is supposed to wash away ignorance, but such is not the case with this woman, for obvious reasons of course.

This is one of my points. Hardly can you come across one objective Igbo in 50,000 even if you culled the sample group entirely from intellectuals and Professors. Their irrational outlook transcends any knowledge even the finest education can bestow on a human being. One of the biggest show of gross hypocrisy and clannish hate of others is how Igbos have never spoken with one voice to acknowledge the destructive role the egocentric megalomaniac Ojukwu played in sending many Igbos to their deaths whereas we have billions of narratives maligning Buhari, Gowon, Adekunle, Awolowo et al as inhuman war criminals. It would be helpful if Igbos know the meaning of war yet their talk, over several decades, show this is not the case. Most Igbos, contrary to what the rest of the world believe, think war is a Tea Party where they get to play ' unfairly treaetd' victims after defeat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War

War is a state of armed conflict between states, governments, societies and informal paramilitary groups, such as mercenaries, insurgents and militias. I[b]t is generally characterized by extreme violence, aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces[/b]

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by donbachi(m): 8:15pm On Dec 27, 2019
byrron:

It will become another history that will be straightened up maybe by a more sensible unborn generation.
mixed up
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Perkins2018: 8:26pm On Dec 27, 2019
Vortex369:

You hate yourself enough to be a slave of tribe and loyal to a certain political oligarchy.

You are a slave Neo

There goes another rubbish. Only igbos see themselves as slaves in Nigeria and rightly so.
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 27, 2019
Perkins2018:

There goes another rubbish. Only igbos see themselves as slaves in Nigeria and rightly so.

Uneducal idiots from the other side always believe if one is not Hausa he or she must be Igbo.

Silly thing. I love Yorubas but you are an opposite of real Oduduwa lineage.

Failed sperm

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Kingspin(m): 9:24pm On Dec 27, 2019
0monnak0da:

Was Achebe unbiassed?
Achebe was the propagandist of the Biafra regime
The Biafran forces were no saints neither were the Nigerians let us be honest and fair

It is not a competition so there is no point for me enumerating the well documented atrocities on BOTH SIDES

Achebe and Chimamanda are motivated by the need to keep the Biafra story alive which is a legitimate thing to do however their accounts by any measure are one sided . There are two sides to this story. Quite wisely the Nigerian sides have kept quiet because there is no point dredging up stuff if there is a genuine need to heal and reconcile.

As we have seen on Nairaland repeating both sides ad infinitum will change NOTHING.
It will achieve nothing.

That is the nature of war and people should learn from that

If we go to war today even greater numbers will die.
Was the war fought in your area?
Those who lost their loved ones and property are given account.

Even 7 yrs Syrian war had not lost a million souls.
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by SLAP44: 9:29pm On Dec 27, 2019
Oshigun:

This is one of my points. Hardly can you come across one objective Igbo in 50,000 even if you culled the sample group entirely from intellectuals and Professors. Their irrational outlook transcends any knowledge even the finest education can bestow on a human being. One of the biggest show of gross hypocrisy and clannish hate of others is how Igbos have never spoken with one voice to acknowledge the destructive role the egocentric megalomaniac Ojukwu played in sending many Igbos to their deaths whereas we have billions of narratives maligning Buhari, Gowon, Adekunle, Awolowo et al as inhuman war criminals. It would be helpful if Igbos know the meaning of war yet their talk, over several decades, show this is not the case. Most Igbos, contrary to what the rest of the world believe, think war is a Tea Party where they get to play ' unfairly treaetd' victims after defeat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War

Hate harms you more than the people you are trying to hate. Change your ways.

Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by 0monnak0da: 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2019
Kingspin:
Was the war fought in your area?
Those who lost their loved ones and property are given account.

Even 7 yrs Syrian war had not lost a million souls.

How many died in Biafra?
Re: Gowon: Chimamanda Adichie, Others Distorting Nigeria’s History by Charleys: 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2019
2023 is coming.

Nigeria will have to decide if they want the igbos or not.

So that the igbos can also decide for themselves.

PMB Pledges To Accord Railway Infrastructure Development Greatest Priority / Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! / US Embassy Issues Emergency Alert To Its Citizens In Abuja

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56