Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. (531 Views)

Prophet Chukwuemeka "Odumeje" Ohanaemere's Wife And Children (Photos) / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, His Wife And Children On Vacation (Photos) / 7 Lessons To Learn From Elisha And The Widow’s Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 12:45am On Dec 28, 2019
Luke 18:3; Rev. 18:7; 17:1; Rom. 7:2-4; 2 Cor. 11:2-3

The verses tell us that the church or Christians have three kinds of circumstances before God. Before speaking about these three circumstances, I want to relate one thing first: there is a line from Genesis to Revelation of women being used by God to typify His children, His people. God likens His children to women. In one case He likens them to a widow; in another case He likens them to a wife; in the third case He likens them to a virgin. Every Christian who lives in the world is a widow, a wife, and also a virgin. In the world, there are great differences between a widow, wife, and virgin. Yet in the Bible, Luke says that a Christian takes the position of a widow (18:3), Romans 7 says that a Christian takes the position of a wife (vv. 2-4), and 2 Corinthians 11 says that a Christian takes the position of a virgin (vv. 2-3).

Every Christian is a widow towards the world. At the same time, he is a wife with respect to the enjoyment of the riches of Christ, and a virgin with respect to his restriction for the sake of Christ.

THE WIDOW.

"And there was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, Avenge me of my opponent" (Luke 18:3).

"As much as she has glorified herself and lived luxuriously, as much torment and sorrow give to her; for she says in her heart, I sit a queen, and I am not a widow, and I shall by no means see sorrow" (Rev. 18:7).

"And one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, Come here; I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits upon the many waters" (Rev. 17:1).

One thing that moves my heart very much is that on earth today, our heart is a widow's heart! The reason we do not love the world is not that the world is unattractive or that the Bible forbids us. It is not because the world and the lusts of it will pass away. The world is lovely, and the things, objects, and people of the world are lovely. Although the Bible has sixty-six books, only one book, Ecclesiastes, says that all things are vanity under the sun. The reason a Christian does not love the world is not that the world is vain but that our Lord was crucified in the world. Consequently, our heart is a widow's heart.

If the one you love is in a certain place, the place becomes lovely. The place where he is becomes paradise to you. But since He is not here, our heart is a widow's heart. The world is not attractive to us because it has become a void to us. It is comfortable and pleasurable to dress and eat well, but when our heart is drawn to the One we love, all these things will become nothing to us. Since He is not here, our world has become bitter. If a woman can still dress and eat well after her beloved husband passes away, those around her may criticize her, saying, "What kind of a heart does she have!" Is it wrong for her to dress well and eat well? It is not wrong, but since her husband is not here anymore, her heart should no longer care for these things. It is not that these things lose their taste in themselves, but they no longer have the same taste within her. It is not that the world has become more unattractive, but that we do not have a heart to love it anymore.

Among the vast sea of humanity, I feel lonely because He is not here. When I am alone, my heart is on fire because I think of Him. When I walk by the seashore, see the waves, and hear the sound of the tides, I do not feel lonely or isolated because He comforts me. Brothers and sisters, there may be many things in the world which can attract you, but if the Lord fills your heart, all those things will be counted as nothing.

When He was in the world, He was killed by men. He left only a cross and an empty grave. Our Lord has died; therefore, we are widows. It is not that the world is evil or unattractive, but that He is not here. Brothers and sisters, we are truly widows in this world. Our Lord is not on this earth anymore. As a result, the world can no longer attract us. If there is a brother or a sister who feels no need for the Lord to satisfy their heart, I do not know what kind of heart they have. In Luke 18 the Lord says, "And there was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, Avenge me of my opponent." Our condition in this world is that of a widow, one who is being ridiculed and insulted by others.

In Revelation 18 Babylon typifies the fallen church. She says in her heart, "I sit a queen, and I am not a widow, and I shall by no means see sorrow." Only fallen ones do not consider themselves as a widow. Whenever you become fallen, you will lose the characteristics of a widow. Oh, if we want to serve the Lord faithfully in this world, we have to be a widow with respect to the world. We have to maintain a widow's attitude toward the world daily. Once the disciples of John came to Jesus, saying, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast much, but Your disciples do not fast?" (Matt. 9:14). Jesus said unto them, "The sons of the bridechamber cannot mourn as long as the Bridegroom is with them, can they? But days will come when the Bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast" (v. 15). Oh, today He is no longer here. This is the time for us to fast. Are we fasting with respect to the world? This earth is not our home; we have no happiness on this earth because He is not here.

Today the bread of the Lord's table tells us that He is not here. The cup also tells us that He is not here. The bread tells us that He was killed. The cup tells us that His blood was shed. Because He is not here, our heart is not here. What can replace Him in our heart? Nothing can replace Him. We want to be free from the world because the One we love is not here, not because the world is unattractive. For where our treasure is, there our heart is. Since my treasure is not here, my heart is not here.
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 2:08am On Dec 28, 2019
THE WIFE

"For the married woman is bound by the law to her husband while he is living; but if the husband dies, she is discharged from the law regarding the husband. So then if, while the husband is living, she is joined to another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if the husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress, though she is joined to another man. So then, my brothers, you also have been made dead to the law through the body of Christ so that you might be joined to another, to Him who has been raised from the dead (pay attention to this phrase), that we might bear fruit to God" (Rom. 7:2-4).

The Bible not only tells us that we are a widow in the world; Romans 7 also says that every Christian is like a wife. I wonder if we know the difference between a widow and a wife. A widow does not have a husband; she has nothing to rely on. A wife has a husband and someone to rely on. Who should bear a family's financial responsibility? It is the husband, not the wife. It is not normal for a husband to rely on his wife to support the family. A widow has lost her support in the world. A wife, however, receives all of her supply from her husband. Brothers and sisters, do you know that our relationship with Christ is one of a husband and a wife? All our needs are supplied by Him. We do not have to worry about how we can receive our supply for the month. We can receive all of our supply from Christ. We may have a bad temper. We may be proud and cannot forgive others. We may be weak in our work and have no burden to pray or any taste for the Word. But, brothers and sisters, let me say that all these problems can be solved by Christ. Through the power of His resurrection, we can bear fruit.

It is a universal custom that as soon as a woman is married, she immediately uses her husband's name. Only his wife can have the same name. Many Christians do not see the preciousness in the words "in My name." We do not realize how much blessing there is in the phrase "in My name." We can receive whatever we ask in His name. We can cast out demons in His name, anoint patients in His name, forgive sins in His name, and preach in His name. What does this mean? Who can use the Lord's name? Some may think that when they cast out demons, all they have to do is say the Lord's name, and the demons will be chased away. Others may think the name is used only as a formality when they perform baptism. Let me ask: Can we go to the bank and draw money in the name of Brother IChuka? This name is his, not ours. We can only use our name. But praise and thank God that every Christian can do things in the Lord's name because we belong to Him, and all that He has is ours. He is the Christ, and we are His people. Brothers and sisters, every Christian has the right to use His name. The day we believed in the Lord, we were united with Him. Therefore, His name is ours. This is why we can pray in His name. We can do things in His name because we have been joined to His resurrection. There is nothing that we cannot acquire from God. Just as a husband loves, cherishes, supplies, and supports his own wife, Christ does the same for us. Let us remember that with respect to the riches of Christ, we are not a widow, but a wife.

1 Like

Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by Fortissimo502: 3:22am On Dec 28, 2019
Very interesting...
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by Oksman(m): 5:58am On Dec 28, 2019
Filled!

Thank you so much. @ OP.
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 6:30am On Dec 28, 2019
THE VIRGIN

"For I am jealous over you with a jealousy of God; for I betrothed you to one husband to present you as a pure virgin to Christ. But I fear lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your thoughts would be corrupted from the simplicity and the purity toward Christ" (2 Cor. 11:2-3).

The Bible not only tells us that our attitude toward the world is one of a widow, and that our position with respect to the riches of Christ is that of a wife, but it also tells us that in waiting for the Lord's return, we are a virgin. This means that we need to keep ourselves chaste while waiting for His return. Paul said, "For I am jealous over you with a jealousy of God." We know the meaning of jealousy. Because of Christ, Paul was jealous over the fact that some others had won their hearts. We belong to the Lord, and no one should snatch us away. Suppose I have a friend who is engaged to a girl. While he is away, his fiancee turns her love to someone else. As his friend, I would surely become jealous. She should not have done this to my friend. For my friend's sake, I would become jealous over the fact that someone has taken away her heart.

Paul was afraid that their hearts would be corrupted from the simplicity and purity toward Christ, just as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness. Every Christian should have an undefiled heart, one that has not been touched by anyone else. Let us check ourselves today before God and see if we have lost the simplicity and purity toward Christ. If there is a believer whose desire is not Christ but his own enjoyment, his Lord will not be pleased.

Brothers and sisters, today we need to say, "Lord, I am Yours. May You preserve my garment, my heart, my thoughts, and my everything as undefiled and pure. Oh, may I be touched by nothing." This is like the words in the Song of Songs, which say, "A garden inclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed" (4:12). The words "inclosed" and "sealed" are used again and again because no one should get into our garden. Our garden is opened to our Beloved only. None can draw water from us and be satisfied. None can draw water from us and quench his thirst. The well and the spring within us are kept for Him. Brothers and sisters, day by day we ought to maintain such an attitude. We are for the Lord, and no one should touch us. Paul said, "Henceforth let no one trouble me, for I bear in my body the brands of Jesus" (Gal. 6:17). Oh, we bear the marks of the cross, and no one should trouble us anymore.

1 Like

Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2019
Oksman:
Filled!

Thank you so much. @ OP.
Amen bro
May He continue to fill u up in Jesus name
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 1:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
Fortissimo502:
Very interesting...
Indeed bro
Compliments
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 28, 2019
ichuka:
Luke 18:3; Rev. 18:7; 17:1; Rom. 7:2-4; 2 Cor. 11:2-3

The verses tell us that the church or Christians have three kinds of circumstances before God. Before speaking about these three circumstances, I want to relate one thing first: there is a line from Genesis to Revelation of women being used by God to typify His children, His people. God likens His children to women. In one case He likens them to a widow; in another case He likens them to a wife; in the third case He likens them to a virgin. Every Christian who lives in the world is a widow, a wife, and also a virgin. In the world, there are great differences between a widow, wife, and virgin. Yet in the Bible, Luke says that a Christian takes the position of a widow (18:3), Romans 7 says that a Christian takes the position of a wife (vv. 2-4), and 2 Corinthians 11 says that a Christian takes the position of a virgin (vv. 2-3).

Every Christian is a widow towards the world. At the same time, he is a wife with respect to the enjoyment of the riches of Christ, and a virgin with respect to his restriction for the sake of Christ.

THE WIDOW.

"And there was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, Avenge me of my opponent" (Luke 18:3).

"As much as she has glorified herself and lived luxuriously, as much torment and sorrow give to her; for she says in her heart, I sit a queen, and I am not a widow, and I shall by no means see sorrow" (Rev. 18:7).

"And one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, Come here; I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits upon the many waters" (Rev. 17:1).

One thing that moves my heart very much is that on earth today, our heart is a widow's heart! The reason we do not love the world is not that the world is unattractive or that the Bible forbids us. It is not because the world and the lusts of it will pass away. The world is lovely, and the things, objects, and people of the world are lovely. Although the Bible has sixty-six books, only one book, Ecclesiastes, says that all things are vanity under the sun. The reason a Christian does not love the world is not that the world is vain but that our Lord was crucified in the world. Consequently, our heart is a widow's heart.

If the one you love is in a certain place, the place becomes lovely. The place where he is becomes paradise to you. But since He is not here, our heart is a widow's heart. The world is not attractive to us because it has become a void to us. It is comfortable and pleasurable to dress and eat well, but when our heart is drawn to the One we love, all these things will become nothing to us. Since He is not here, our world has become bitter. If a woman can still dress and eat well after her beloved husband passes away, those around her may criticize her, saying, "What kind of a heart does she have!" Is it wrong for her to dress well and eat well? It is not wrong, but since her husband is not here anymore, her heart should no longer care for these things. It is not that these things lose their taste in themselves, but they no longer have the same taste within her. It is not that the world has become more unattractive, but that we do not have a heart to love it anymore.

Among the vast sea of humanity, I feel lonely because He is not here. When I am alone, my heart is on fire because I think of Him. When I walk by the seashore, see the waves, and hear the sound of the tides, I do not feel lonely or isolated because He comforts me. Brothers and sisters, there may be many things in the world which can attract you, but if the Lord fills your heart, all those things will be counted as nothing.

When He was in the world, He was killed by men. He left only a cross and an empty grave. Our Lord has died; therefore, we are widows. It is not that the world is evil or unattractive, but that He is not here. Brothers and sisters, we are truly widows in this world. Our Lord is not on this earth anymore. As a result, the world can no longer attract us. If there is a brother or a sister who feels no need for the Lord to satisfy their heart, I do not know what kind of heart they have. In Luke 18 the Lord says, "And there was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, Avenge me of my opponent." Our condition in this world is that of a widow, one who is being ridiculed and insulted by others.

In Revelation 18 Babylon typifies the fallen church. She says in her heart, "I sit a queen, and I am not a widow, and I shall by no means see sorrow." Only fallen ones do not consider themselves as a widow. Whenever you become fallen, you will lose the characteristics of a widow. Oh, if we want to serve the Lord faithfully in this world, we have to be a widow with respect to the world. We have to maintain a widow's attitude toward the world daily. Once the disciples of John came to Jesus, saying, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast much, but Your disciples do not fast?" (Matt. 9:14). Jesus said unto them, "The sons of the bridechamber cannot mourn as long as the Bridegroom is with them, can they? But days will come when the Bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast" (v. 15). Oh, today He is no longer here. This is the time for us to fast. Are we fasting with respect to the world? This earth is not our home; we have no happiness on this earth because He is not here.

Today the bread of the Lord's table tells us that He is not here. The cup also tells us that He is not here. The bread tells us that He was killed. The cup tells us that His blood was shed. Because He is not here, our heart is not here. What can replace Him in our heart? Nothing can replace Him. We want to be free from the world because the One we love is not here, not because the world is unattractive. For where our treasure is, there our heart is. Since my treasure is not here, my heart is not here.
truly where your treasure is there your heart will be.
Jesus is our treasure
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 12:08am On Dec 29, 2019
solite3:
truly where your treasure is there your heart will be.
Jesus is our treasure
Amen bro
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 8:46am On Jan 12, 2020
Bump!!
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 12:36am On May 30, 2020
Bump
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 8:58am On May 02, 2021
bump
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 11:51am On May 16, 2021
Amen
Re: The Widow, The Wife, And The Virgin. by ichuka(m): 5:26pm On Jun 27, 2021
Amen

(1) (Reply)

Matthew 1 / Why I Converted From Islam To Christianity / See What Apst. Suleman Said About Abba Kyari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.