Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God (1526 Views)

Forget Personal Beliefs And Sentiments, Let Us Discuss The Existence Of God / Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
I believe there is God.

Religion is the problem! Humans are flawed and have used their limited brains to try to define or explain God which is why we have different expressions in thousands of different religions.

Because man's nature acknowledges the existence of God, people from time immemorial have tried to give a context to that connection using limited wisdom, greed, fear, control and societal factors in their explanations. Infact, this primal knowledge or instinct even before the coming of the prophets led people to worship "incredible phenomenoms" including large stones, seas, the sun, the moon and other exotic concepts.

All religions are man's creation "for the worship of God" and it is understandable for religion to not make sense sometimes or be able to explain everything all the time because times change. God is God and any teaching about Him that has got you bewildered should be attributed to the founders of that religion and its spiritual leaders for insight.

It is wrong to "judge" God based on the teachings of your religion or others because they are popular around where you live. See religion as a school of thought that that tries to explain life and connect you to God. The only real truth is that God exists.

Nobody has a recording or video of God giving him instructions on how we should live or worship him. So, if some prophet told you he heard from God and has documented things you think doesn't make sense, blame it on the religion and leave God out of the confusion. There exists a lot of religions and some with many variations all serving or presenting men's perspective.

So, dont be obsessed with that your religion, be mild and observe the key principles that are universal in most religions that foster peace, love and progress for mankind, the environment and glorifies God.

If you do not believe in God, then you must believe in science because it provides "cause-effect evidence". However, the big bang theory cannot explain, prove or justify our existence, the world and how everything fits and integrates seamlessly.

If you know how tiny the planet earth is in view of the milky way and other galaxies, you'd realize how infinitesimal man is despite the capacity of his "evolving" brain.

Regardless of how you feel and intellectualize this topic, the grand masterplan/design is in force and whether you like it or not: by omission or commission, it must come to pass!

And no, it doesn't have to make sense to you either.

What's tha business?
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 2:28pm On Dec 30, 2019
DirtyGold:
I believe there is God.

Religion is the problem!

And no, it doesn't have to make sense to you either.
It is unfortunate that "believe there is God" tends to come from "Religion" which you have identified as the problem, which you've further shown by stating "doesn't have to make sense to you either", which just goes to show how much of a problem it can be.

Imagine being asked to believe in the existence of a thing that makes no sense to you. Won't you ask why, at least? In fact, lets try it. Believe the earth is flat. Or that nothing evolves. Let me know how that goes.

In my opinion, a god that requires stupidity and ignorance should be judged, found guilty, and taken to the bottom of the river and have its head bashed in so it stops existing, unless it wasn't that same god that put a brain in one's head hoping one would use it.

An Almighty God cannot demand such ignorance and stupidity and would most definitely require understanding or would not have bothered sending so many prophets and Jesus Christ to come teach you about God!

Things that exist are known and not merely believed like satan is said to believe and tremble.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 10:03pm On Dec 30, 2019
budaatum:

It is unfortunate that "believe there is God" tends to come from "Religion" which you have identified as the problem, which you've further shown by stating "doesn't have to make sense to you either", which just goes to show how much of a problem it can be.
You need to read my post again. Religion only tries to provide a platform for the natural instinct of man and its need for a connection to the Supreme Being. The resason you think knowledge of God comes from religion is because of how we are now born into it and how societies have been formed around religion. It is interesting how you can muddle up the first and last statement to create a problem that doesn't exist.

Imagine being asked to believe in the existence of a thing that makes no sense to you. Won't you ask why, at least? In fact, lets try it. Believe the earth is flat. Or that nothing evolves. Let me know how that goes.
It does not make sense to you because the religion you grew up in programmed you with certain bogus believes that defy logic. A lot of those beliefs you probably believed and held as golden rules once upon a time dont exist in other religions or even variations of the same religion you grew up in. How then do you blame God for what the founders of your religion documented with their limited knowledge? Evolution, science and space exploration are products of man's intellectual development and doesn't remotely suggest man's independence, rather it provokes thoughts of how marvellous the universe is and how much more we dont know yet... all of which cannot be attributed to nothingness or random arrangements.

In my opinion, a god that requires stupidity and ignorance should be judged, found guilty, and taken to the bottom of the river and have its head bashed in so it stops existing, unless it wasn't that same god that put a brain in one's head hoping one would use it.
All sorts of gods exist and you can do that to them. However, God created you with that brain to think and understand the world you live in and see how all fit together and appreciate its Maker. So, yes, use your brain to think about all these ideas and questions and you might find answers.

An Almighty God cannot demand such ignorance and stupidity and would most definitely require understanding or would not have bothered sending so many prophets and Jesus Christ to come teach you about God
All those prophets had one central message which is; THERE IS A GOD and only him should be worshipped. And then other stuffs like live right, love, be kind, do good etc.

The real ignorance and stupidity is thinking or believing that man exist for existing sake... that man, the earth, solar system and other planetary bodies, the animals in all their various kinds and features, water, the sun and moon and how they have delicately defined paths/timing and everything else just came into existence on there own. That right there would be the highest level of stupidity and gross misuse or abuse of the brain!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 4:40am On Dec 31, 2019
DirtyGold:

You need to read my post again. Religion only tries to provide a platform for the natural instinct of man and its need for a connection to the Supreme Being. The resason you think knowledge of God comes from religion is because of how we are now born into it and how societies have been formed around religion. It is interesting how you can muddle up the first and last statement to create a problem that doesn't exist.
You wouldn't have any knowledge of a Supreme Being if no one indoctrinated you to believe in one through religion, and the only natural instinct being fulfilled by it is that of ignorance which education would fill if you allowed it.

DirtyGold:
It does not make sense to you because the religion you grew up in programmed you with certain bogus believes that defy logic.

It was you who said you don't understand, and not me. Go read yourself again.

DirtyGold:
A lot of those beliefs you probably believed and held as golden rules once upon a time dont exist in other religions or even variations of the same religion you grew up in. How then do you blame God for what the founders of your religion documented with their limited knowledge? Evolution, science and space exploration are products of man's intellectual development and doesn't remotely suggest man's independence, rather it provokes thoughts of how marvellous the universe is and how much more we dont know yet... all of which cannot be attributed to nothingness or random arrangements.
Blame God? Me? You need to go find out about me instead of allowing your "natural instinct" to delude you. buda does not believe and was not born into a religion.

DirtyGold:
All sorts of gods exist and you can do that to them. However, God created you with that brain to think and understand the world you live in and see how all fit together and appreciate its Maker. So, yes, use your brain to think about all these ideas and questions and you might find answers.
I smh lol.

1 Like

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 10:08pm On Dec 31, 2019
budaatum:

You wouldn't have any knowledge of a Supreme Being if no one indoctrinated you to believe in one through religion, and the only natural instinct being fulfilled by it is that if ignorance which education would fill if you allowed it.
It is easy for you to say this because of how much man has achieved in development. When you need fire, why don't your brain think of rubbing stones together like our forefathers did? You easily grab some matches or lighter or something electrical because they have been created. Same with religion; that primal drive already has a platform in existence already.

It was you who said you don't understand, and not me. Go read yourself again.
Stop misquoting me

Blame God? Me? You need to go find out about me instead of allowing your "natural instinct" to delude you. buda does not believe and was not born into a religion.
Indeed, little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! I don't need to find anything out about you because I don't give a hoot about you in the actual sense. I am engaging you in conversation because I started this thread and I will debate it with whoever shows up for the benefit of anybody that views it and not just for who I'm interacting with.

You don't believe or weren't born into it and shouldn't care either. Yet, here you are talking about something that shouldn't be your business by your own submission. How come you are the only entity that has bothered to post on this thread despite not being the only other person that has viewed it? What's the pull or your fascination about this?
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 10:22pm On Dec 31, 2019
DirtyGold:

It is easy for you to say this because of how much man has achieved in development. When you need fire, why don't your brain think of rubbing stones together like our forefathers did? You easily grab some matches or lighter or something electrical because they have been created. Same with religion; that primal drive already has a platform in existence already.
"Rubbing stones together like our forefathers did" is the equivalent of not learning anything since one's forefathers. Even one's forefathers would call one stupid for ignoring everything one has learnt since then. You might as well ask me to communicate with drums instead of using modern technology.

Religion is a platform for learning and advancement, and not just doing what one's forefathers did. Believing what one's forefathers believed, believing at all, instead of learning and understanding, is just plain dumb. Some might like being that way, but I think that would be against God's command that one "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground", and be blessed. It would also be a waste of Christ who's entire existence and teachings was to reduce ignorance and stupidity and live.

There is a reason we benefit from standing on the shoulders of our forefathers.

1 Like

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by Bluezy13(m): 11:43pm On Dec 31, 2019
You believe there is God.
You don't belong to any religion.
You think religion is individualistic, everybody is an inventor of his own.

You believe there is God...that means God is somewhere, occupying a place, a location.
Where ??

You don't belong to any religion, please what is your relationship with this God that you claim exist ?? How do you interact ?? Or you just believe there is God and that is all ?? No quest to decipher the mystery behind his existence ??

If there is God, that means God is a person, being, intelligence, thing or form.
If a person, who is he ??
If a being, what essence is he ??
If an Intelligence, How comes his existence ??
If a thing, What is he ??
If a form, What form ??

I'm not after the argument about God and religion. I'm after the existence of the "God" himself.
We can't discuss the way to God when we don't even know God himself/itself.

I'm a Freethinker.

1 Like

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by LordReed(m): 1:03am On Jan 01, 2020
By what means did you come to believe a god exists? You just intuited it?

1 Like

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by hakeem4(m): 1:09am On Jan 01, 2020
well! you can decide to believe in one or as many gods as possible, that is your business. the only question i have is which of the theistic god is true, and what evidence to back up the claim
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 4:29pm On Jan 02, 2020
budaatum:

"Rubbing stones together like our forefathers did" is the equivalent of not learning anything since one's forefathers. Even one's forefathers would call one stupid for ignoring everything one has learnt since then. You might as well ask me to communicate with drums instead of using modern technology.
Please, read to understand. I used the rubbing stone analogy to show you that you wont think of that because we already have channels of getting fire quickly and without stress. Although the need for fire is there, you wont think of it like our forefathers did which is because the humanity we enjoy today is benefiting from incremental accumulation of knowledge.

budaatum:

Religion is a platform for learning and advancement, and not just doing what one's forefathers did. Believing what one's forefathers believed, believing at all, instead of learning and understanding, is just plain dumb. Some might like being that way, but I think that would be against God's command that one "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground", and be blessed. It would also be a waste of Christ who's entire existence and teachings was to reduce ignorance and stupidity and live.
And here you are quoting supposedly "God words and Christ's life" without believing in them.
Religion is a platform for learning, advancement, integration, growth and much more. Absolutely true! I never said anything to the contrary like I clarified in the previous quote. We've learnt from our forefathers and we dont revert to their ways because of where we are today. However, that does not mean that we dont have the same instincts, drives and needs as they did back then... we just have better channels for them now.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 4:44pm On Jan 02, 2020
DirtyGold:

Please, read to understand. I used the rubbing stone analogy to show you that you wont think of that because we already have channels of getting fire quickly and without stress. Although the need for fire is there, you wont think of it like our forefathers did which is because the humanity we enjoy today is benefiting from incremental accumulation of knowledge.
You are describing evolution. Love that.

DirtyGold:
And here you are quoting supposedly "God words and Christ's life" without believing in them.
Believing in "God and Christ", is very differnt to understanding the words associated to them. Or do you think one has to believe Alice fell through a looking glass to learn from the book? Do you have to believe in Okonkwo and Ikemefuna to learn from Things Fall Apart? Is that not what it means to "read and understand" instead of merely believing with no understanding whatsoever?

DirtyGold:

Religion is a platform for learning, advancement, integration, growth and much more. Absolutely true! I never said anything to the contrary like I clarified in the previous quote. We've learnt from our forefathers and we dont revert to their ways because of where we are today. However, that does not mean that we dont have the same instincts, drives and needs as they did back then... we just have better channels for them now.
What same instinct and drives? To live? Then yes. The world our forefathers lived in is very different to the one we live in so applying the solutuons of our forefathers won't necessarily solve the problens we face today. It would be odd for me to abandon common lighter and matches and start rubbing stones to get fire.

I think you are looking for division and an argument instead of seeing where we agree. My advise, read and understand instead of thinking others can't read and understand!

It is the lesson taught below.

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 5:08pm On Jan 02, 2020
Bluezy13:
You believe there is God.
You don't belong to any religion.
I never said I do not belong to a religion. That religion is a problem doesn't mean I don't subscribe to one; I'm not just a strict devotee

You think religion is individualistic, everybody is an inventor of his own.
I do not think that. However, at various points, somebody rises to start a movement which others subscribe to for various reasons.
To be cheeky, please research how many denominations Christianity alone has in existence right now and answer your question by yourself

You believe there is God...that means God is somewhere, occupying a place, a location.
Where ??
I wish I had an answer for that. However, do you know how vast our universe is and how nano-particle-like size our earth is? As a pro-science person that you seem to be, you should be aware of the multiverse theory which means there are likely other universes apart from ours.

You don't belong to any religion, please what is your relationship with this God that you claim exist ?? How do you interact ?? Or you just believe there is God and that is all ??
THERE IS A GOD but religion is the problem. I never said I don't belong to a religion and that should answer your other questions.

No quest to decipher the mystery behind his existence ??
There is no mystery behind His existence! The abundance of His marvelous creations are enough proof that He exists and all I bother myself with is how to be a good person and not fall short of His grace and mercy.

If there is God, that means God is a person, being, intelligence, thing or form.
hehehe God is not a person as some Christianity make you assume. [s]talking about the creation of man in His image and that we are gods too[/s].
If a person, who is he ??
Sacrilegious to assume God to be a person! God is God... the Almighty!
If a being, what essence is he ??
The Supreme Being, the One that was before anything else and the One that will continue to be after everything else has seized to exist.
If an Intelligence, How comes his existence ?? Everything was designed and arranged by Him including those that seem like disasters to us. Nothing on our earth or the universe escapes him or happens outside His knowledge!
If a thing, What is he ??
If a form, What form ??
This is outside the capacity of man's best knowledge

I'm not after the argument about God and religion. I'm after the existence of the "God" himself.
Religion only serves as an avenue to connect to God and yes, this thread is about the existence of God.

I find it amusing how people get so excited about science and what it can do now.
Look! There is nothing man has created or invented without taking elements or materials from the world/God's creation. The most intelligent of designs or inventions of men copy their functionality from what already exists in animals, plants, environment etc... That science can now explain and even replicate some natural processes or phenomenons doesn't in anyway bring to question the existence of God for those who are wise. If anything, it shows how all that exists couldn't have come from nothingness but from a Supreme being.
We can't discuss the way to God when we don't even know God himself/itself.
Religion should help you do that sir. Yes, religion is the problem but some are more wholesome than others. Pick the one that resonates with you

I'm a Freethinker.
Good for you
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 5:13pm On Jan 02, 2020
LordReed:
By what means did you come to believe a god exists? You just intuited it?
The history of man reinforces that natural knowledge/instinct of the existence of God and a need to connect with Him. And what is more, the universe is a testament to the fact that God exists, if He didn't, who created all that exists including those men are yet to discover? the big bang theory?
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 5:19pm On Jan 02, 2020
hakeem4:
well! you can decide to believe in one or as many gods as possible, that is your business. the only question i have is which of the theistic god is true, and what evidence to back up the claim
Thank you for helping me mind my business.
God exists, that is the message of this thread!
The evidence is everywhere. The ones science are proving for you are small compare to what science cannot prove or is yet to even have a method or tool for probing. Yet, all that exists have their timing, functions and arrangement without man's input. Look within you and beyond yourself and know that all that exists couldn't have come from nothing.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 5:44pm On Jan 02, 2020
budaatum:

You are describing evolution. Love that.
cheesy grin I was expecting you to say that. What I said has nothing to do with the charles darwin evolution that fits this conversation. Because that implies man changing form from apes to becoming the erect homo sapiens that exists now. Incremental knowledge in the sense that, we grow in communities and knowledge in passed down from generation to generation and is improved as time passes. When Information tech was just starting out, a 2mb storage device was the size of a walk in fridge. The phones our grandfathers used is different from what we use today... incremental knowledge refines....

Believing in "God and Christ", is very differnt to understanding the words associated to them. Or do you think one has to believe Alice fell through a looking glass to learn from the book? Do you have to believe in Okonkwo and Ikemefuna to learn from Things Fall Apart? Is that not what it means to "read and understand" instead of merely believing with no understanding whatsoever?
You don't believe in a thing, yet, you are quoting and "understanding" words associated with them. Why bother? Since they dont exists to you and you dont believe in them, why dont you refuse to acknowledge them.

In the context of Things fall apart, those characters exists in the play and that is why you have names to make reference to. Why didn't you mention buhari and trump instead of Okonkwo and Ikemefuna?

Reading and understanding has a third element which is perspective... and that is what I think is riling you up; my bad!

What same instinct and drives? To live? Then yes. The world our forefathers lived in is very different to the one we live in so applying the solutuons of our forefathers won't necessarily solve the problens we face today. It would be odd for me to abandon common lighter and matches and start rubbing stones to get fire.
Same instincts and drive of survival, hunger, sex, shelter, protection, connection to a Higher power.
Like I said earlier, we dont revert to thinking or doing things like our forefathers because we have better methods, platforms and channels for serving or fulfilling this drives. My brother, if/when you find yourself outside civilization, you will understand how to cope with the methods of our forefathers.

I think you are looking for division and an argument instead of seeing where we agree. My advise, read and understand instead of thinking others can't read and understand!
Certainly not, I just felt you were deliberating refusing to work with what I've said by misinterpreting/misquoting me. Perspectives are different and I've acknowledged that above
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by hakeem4(m): 7:09pm On Jan 02, 2020
DirtyGold:

Thank you for helping me mind my business.
God exists, that is the message of this thread!
The evidence is everywhere. The ones science are proving for you are small compared to what science cannot prove or is yet to even have a method or tool for probing. Yet, all that exists have their timing, functions and arrangement without man's input. Look within you and beyond yourself and know that all that exists couldn't have come from nothing.

well you just committed the argument from ignorance fallacy!
first of all science is not atheism!!!!!

There was a time when syphilis used to be a curse from god, later science found the cure to the disease. Now, because we do not understand somethings about the world does not make it an evidence for god, it is just an evidence of lack of understanding

2 Likes

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by Ronpet777(m): 8:03pm On Jan 02, 2020
DirtyGold:

The history of man reinforces that natural knowledge/instinct of the existence of God and a need to connect with Him. And what is more, the universe is a testament to the fact that God exists, if He didn't, who created all that exists including those men are yet to discover? the big bang theory?

You blow my mind. I like your pattern of reasoning as you have successfully filled a huge vacuum in my thought process. Most religions are porous and full of imperfections and people especially the Atheists quickly use that as a yardstick to obliterate God. God exist and religions create the link to HIM but may not be wholesome.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by LordReed(m): 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2020
DirtyGold:

The history of man reinforces the idea that god or gods are a primitive attempt to explain the universe and its existence. The existence of the universe is not sufficient reason to believe any claim. The reason why 419 exists is because people do not engage critically and obtain sufficient evidence of the fantastic claims being made. We cannot say if a who created this universe because there is no evidence of a who. The big bang is how scientist have explained the earliest time of the emergence of our space-time based on available data.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 10:53pm On Jan 02, 2020
DirtyGold:

cheesy grin I was expecting you to say that. What I said has nothing to do with the charles darwin evolution that fits this conversation. Because that implies man changing form from apes to becoming the erect homo sapiens that exists now. Incremental knowledge in the sense that, we grow in communities and knowledge in passed down from generation to generation and is improved as time passes. When Information tech was just starting out, a 2mb storage device was the size of a walk in fridge. The phones our grandfathers used is different from what we use today... incremental knowledge refines....
Only those who wish to blind themselves see evolution as "man changing form from apes to becoming the erect homo sapiens that exists now". There's a lot more to it than that, and even you know that since you were "expecting you to say that" in response.

I'm implying "knowledge in passed down from generation to generation and is improved as time passes". Basically, evolution. It's the reason I have matches and a lighter that has evolved from rubbing stones to make fire. "Incremental knowledge" has refined how I light fires.

DirtyGold:
You don't believe in a thing, yet, you are quoting and "understanding" words associated with them. Why bother? Since they dont exists to you and you dont believe in them, why dont you refuse to acknowledge them.
The words in a book do not exist? You are funny! I wonder where what we quote comes from then. Need I show sources for them so you know I don't just make up the words I quote? Do tell, is there any merit in loving ones enemies, or doing unto others as one might want done unto one? And why believe what you know as if you merely believe and haven't tested it?

The two who walked past the man who was "stripped of his clothes, beat and left half dead", were both believers, while the one who "saw him, took pity on him, bandaged his wounds pouring on oil and wine, then put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him, and the next day took out two denari and gave them to the innkeeper saying, ‘Look after him and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have", was an unbeliever and the one Christ said, “Go and do likewise”.

Consider that I can not possibly be referring to what I do not acknowledge, and what I refer to and acknowledge deserves a lot more than just believing it.

DirtyGold:
In the context of Things fall apart, those characters exists in the play and that is why you have names to make reference to. Why didn't you mention buhari and trump instead of Okonkwo and Ikemefuna?
I didn't "mention buhari and trump instead of Okonkwo and Ikemefuna", because "buhari and trump" do not make my point while "Okonkwo and Ikemefuna” do make my point despite only "exist[ing] in the play", or more appropriately, in a book, and despite that, can be learned from.

DirtyGold:
Reading and understanding has a third element which is perspective... and that is what I think is riling you up; my bad!
You'll have to elaborate on this. What do you think my perspective might be, and what makes you think I am riling?

Please know that you have in no way offended me.

DirtyGold:
Same instincts and drive of survival, hunger, sex, shelter, protection, connection to a Higher power.
Like I said earlier, we dont revert to thinking or doing things like our forefathers because we have better methods, platforms and channels for serving or fulfilling this drives. My brother, if/when you find yourself outside civilization, you will understand how to cope with the methods of our forefathers.
Unless you mean "find yourself outside civilization" with no opportunity to pack matches and lighter, you might be right here, but if you have ever tried lighting a fire with stones, you'd know how difficult it is if you don't know how.

I myself like being prepared, and do not embark on ventures without preparation, so it's very unlikey I'd find myself needing to light a fire with stones. The world I live in is nowhere like that of "our forefathers, I guess, and " the higher power" of understanding serves me very very well.

DirtyGold:
Certainly not, I just felt you were deliberating refusing to work with what I've said by misinterpreting/misquoting me. Perspectives are different and I've acknowledged that above
Well, I hope you change your mind about what you felt after considering the evidence instead of just believing whatever you want to believe.

Remember I said you don't know me and you said you don't care? That knowing was about perspective, and we are here explaining each others perspective to one another, which I think is work to make one understood. You sir are working hard and it's appreciated.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 8:52pm On Jan 04, 2020
hakeem4:

well you just committed the argument from ignorance fallacy!
first of all science is not atheism!!!!!
[/b]
what ignorance fallacy? where did I say science is atheism?
your assumptiveness is causing you to misuse concepts you don't fully understand.

There was a time when syphilis used to be a curse from god, later science found the cure to the disease. Now, because we do not understand somethings about the world does not make it an evidence for god, it is just an evidence of lack of understanding
And the curse served its purpose for the people it was meant for. They didn't have the knowledge or understanding of fixing it!
Because you can now explain certain things or even attempt to artificially reproduce some natural phenomenon does not change the fact that man is still on a learning path about the world he lives in and that all that exists including man himself didn't happen from nothingness and for no reason.

With how much I know about science and tech, if you are excited to the point of questioning the existence of God because of the little progress science has achieved now, you'd probably go crazy when you see what is coming in the next decade or two.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 9:04pm On Jan 04, 2020
Ronpet777:

You blow my mind. I like your pattern of reasoning as you have successfully filled a huge vacuum in my thought process. Most religions are porous and full of imperfections and people especially the Atheists quickly use that as a yardstick to obliterate God. God exist and religions create the link to HIM but may not be wholesome.
Thanks alot for your post. This was the reason why I put my thoughts down in the first place; that atleast one person will get an alternative perspective to be guided right. Connect with God in the religion that seem most complete to you and ignore the people of the world who have become too wise to the point of folly - they will have all sorts of arguments.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 9:24pm On Jan 04, 2020
LordReed:

The history of man reinforces the idea that god or gods are a primitive attempt to explain the universe and its existence.
Yet, the concept of religion or worship of God predates science. History has on record that men from all parts of the world had some kind of worship of God(god-s) even before they knew other humans existed.

The existence of the universe is not sufficient reason to believe any claim.

So, the universe and all its contents in their different structures, functionalities, uniqueness, intelligence and design just started existing just like that? How come no man has been able to create anything out of nothing... just think it and it appears like magic!

The reason why 419 exists is because people do not engage critically and obtain sufficient evidence of the fantastic claims being made.
More like greed and low IQ... I will consider it 419 if you cannot provide evidence that God does not exist despite everything in existence that you cannot satisfactorily provide explanation as to how, why, where and what created them the way they are.

We cannot say if a who created this universe because there is no evidence of a who.

So, we should just assume that like magic, nothingness created everything just for the fun of it?
The big bang is how scientist have explained the earliest time of the emergence of our space-time based on available data.
What data? The ones scientists like you and I recorded? Or marks, locations, materials and imprints that can be tracked on the universe?
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2020
budaatum:

Only those who wish to blind themselves see evolution as "man changing form from apes to becoming the erect homo sapiens that exists now". There's a lot more to it than that, and even you know that since you were "expecting you to say that" in response.
What other evolution are you talking about then as regards the human race?
For your information, man at his core has not evolved one single bit. People who are born in remote villages far removed from civilization still live like our forefathers - primitive such that they source everything they need to survive in the bushes.

I'm implying "knowledge in passed down from generation to generation and is improved as time passes". Basically, evolution. It's the reason I have matches and a lighter that has evolved from rubbing stones to make fire. "Incremental knowledge" has refined how I light fires.

That is not evolution at all. You should check the meaning of evolution again. Man has not changed in any form, we only live better now because of the refined processes and knowledge we've accumulated overtime - that is what has improved about man. For it will be senseless to be born in a place that has items of civilization and still resort to cavemen ways.

The words in a book do not exist? You are funny! I wonder where what we quote comes from then. Need I show sources for them so you know I don't just make up the words I quote? Do tell, is there any merit in loving ones enemies, or doing unto others as one might want done unto one? And why believe what you know as if you merely believe and haven't tested it?
I didn't say otherwise. I was questioning you about what you said... smh. Please, read my quote again slowly

The two who walked past the man who was "stripped of his clothes, beat and left half dead", were both believers, while the one who "saw him, took pity on him, bandaged his wounds pouring on oil and wine, then put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him, and the next day took out two denari and gave them to the innkeeper saying, ‘Look after him and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have", was an unbeliever and the one Christ said, “Go and do likewise”.
Those believers are just adherents of their religion. They probably are there for clout and the social factors. Like I said, some religions are more wholesome than others and sometimes, it is the people that are the problem.

Consider that I can not possibly be referring to what I do not acknowledge, and what I refer to and acknowledge deserves a lot more than just believing it.
It was you who said you weren't born into a religion and don't believe in God

I didn't "mention buhari and trump instead of Okonkwo and Ikemefuna", because "buhari and trump" do not make my point while "Okonkwo and Ikemefuna” do make my point despite only "exist[ing] in the play", or more appropriately, in a book, and despite that, can be learned from.

You'll have to elaborate on this. What do you think my perspective might be, and what makes you think I am riling?
That's the vibe I got

Please know that you have in no way offended me.
Alright, good to know

Unless you mean "find yourself outside civilization" with no opportunity to pack matches and lighter, you might be right here, but if you have ever tried lighting a fire with stones, you'd know how difficult it is if you don't know how.

There are people who have had to survive on an island due to a plane or ship mishap - It happens. Nobody hopes for these things but they do happen. I hope you get the context now?

I myself like being prepared, and do not embark on ventures without preparation, so it's very unlikey I'd find myself needing to light a fire with stones. The world I live in is nowhere like that of "our forefathers, I guess, and " the higher power" of understanding serves me very very well.
Good for you sir smiley

Well, I hope you change your mind about what you felt after considering the evidence instead of just believing whatever you want to believe.
What evidence? Nobody has produced a single evidence against the existence of God - just fallacious logic!

Remember I said you don't know me and you said you don't care? That knowing was about perspective, and we are here explaining each others perspective to one another, which I think is work to make one understood. You sir are working hard and it's appreciated.
Touche! I stay on topic whenever I have these sorta conversations. I react to only what you actually say or imply and not what I know about you or your inclinations.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
DirtyGold:

What evidence? Nobody has produced a single evidence against the existence of God - just fallacious logic!
I so love Christ. He is written to have said, "All that you do for those whom you see before you pleases the Lord your God in Heaven whom you see not".

Yet, some still go looking for God in heaven.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by budaatum: 10:57pm On Jan 04, 2020
DirtyGold:

That is not evolution at all. You should check the meaning of evolution again.

https://www.nairaland.com/5238668/evolution-101

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by LordReed(m): 11:14pm On Jan 04, 2020
DirtyGold:

Yet, the concept of religion or worship of God predates science. History has on record that men from all parts of the world had some kind of worship of God(god-s) even before they knew other humans existed.

Age has no bearing on truthfulness.

So, the universe and all its contents in their different structures, functionalities, uniqueness, intelligence and design just started existing just like that? How come no man has been able to create anything out of nothing... just think it and it appears like magic!

What did your god make the universe from?

More like greed and low IQ... I will consider it 419 if you cannot provide evidence that God does not exist despite everything in existence that you cannot satisfactorily provide explanation as to how, why, where and what created them the way they are.

I don't make the claim that god doesn't exist. You who is making the claim that a god exists are the one who needs to prove it.

There are sufficient explanations for why the universe is the way it is. Those explanations do not require a god and they work quite well since they predict more accurately what kind of results we shall get when certain actions are taken. The device you are using to communicate is one such result and it requires no god at any point to actualise.

So, we should just assume that like magic, nothingness created everything just for the fun of it?

Don't put words in my mouth, I don't mention magic so just stop that if you want an honest conversation.

What data? The ones scientists like you and I recorded? Or marks, locations, materials and imprints that can be tracked on the universe?

Yes.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by BoncoBoy: 2:01pm On Jan 05, 2020
DirtyGold:

So u accept that the universe cannot just start to exist but ur God which is much more complex than the universe can just start to exist abi??
How did this your god start to exist

1 Like

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by TheSourcerer: 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2020
budaatum:

An Almighty God cannot demand such ignorance and stupidity and would most definitely require understanding or would not have bothered sending so many prophets and Jesus Christ to come teach you about God!

Things that exist are known and not merely believed like satan is said to believe and tremble.

budaa Increase that volume

1 Like

Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 3:52am On Jan 12, 2020
budaatum:

I so love Christ. He is written to have said, "All that you do for those whom you see before you pleases the Lord your God in Heaven whom you see not".

Yet, some still go looking for God in heaven.
Do you even understand what you just quoted?
Let me help you, you cannot see God but, He is pleased with you being your brothers keeper.
It doesn't mean you should only seek to please man or that God does not have His place in your life though you cannot see Him.
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 4:06am On Jan 12, 2020
budaatum:

https://www.nairaland.com/5238668/evolution-101
Does not change my definition or use of the term here. If anything else, your thread further proves my point - man going through a process of changing form to becoming what he is today. The evolution in that thread talks nothing about the accumulation of knowledge but rather, adaptation by natural selection. Different things!

Taking on the evolution theory itself, who has a copy/evidence of the first cell that split to become two and so forth? Just speculative theory I suppose?

It is scientific law that you cannot create something out of nothing, so, where did the first cell come from?
And that is for the human side, how about the animals? they also came from the same one cell?
How about the plants, also from the same cell?
How about earth, other planets? how did they form? or they also split from the same "cell"?

And to the bollocks of natural selection, how come in the sea for instance, there are all sizes, shapes and persona to the creatures in there? I mean, they all live in the same ecosystem and if evolution is true, a lot of these creatures shouldn't exist today - dont you think?
They are also living organisms afterall... or are they immune to evolution?
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 4:41am On Jan 12, 2020
LordReed:

Age has no bearing on truthfulness.
It does!
Sometime ago, Joe was two years old, he couldn't drive a truck, true
Same Joe is now 20 years old, he can drive a truck, true

Many years ago, malaria had no cure, true!
Today, malaria has cure, true!

Conversely, man had need for food and water 5,000 years ago, true
Today and in the next 10,000 years man still and will still have need for food and water, true

So, what are you talking about?

What did your god God make the universe from?
He made it with the substances and materials we can see, name, touch and evaluate today. Might I remind you that there are still a lot man hasn't figured out yet? Because we can define and even categorize elements and phenomenons today doesn't mean they weren't created to specificity and purposefully (by the Almighty, All Wise God) - they didnt just come to being just like that.

I don't make the claim that god doesn't exist. You who is making the claim that a god exists are the one who needs to prove it.
If you cannot create anything out of nothing (scientific fact!), I cannot understand why everything you can see in our material world and in space doesn't serve as enough evidence that they were created by a Supreme Being - God!

There are sufficient explanations for why the universe is the way it is. Those explanations do not require a god and they work quite well since they predict more accurately what kind of results we shall get when certain actions are taken.
That you have explanations doesnt justify anything, it only shows how incredible our brains are in observing and making deductions.
It is cheeky to say systems work without needing God... I mean, they were designed to work like that!
If you put water on fire long enough, it will come to a boil and if you leave it on the fire, it will evaporate... no brainer - stone-age knowledge!
We have been armed with functional brains to figure out some of these things and operate them which doesn't take away the fact that God designed it to be like that.
Scientists have observed (and explained using the gravity theory) that "space particles" approaching earth goes around it rather than directly into it - That is some plausible explanation but the real question is, who designed it to be like that?

The device you are using to communicate is one such result and it requires no god at any point to actualise.
Proves my point! The device didnt invent itself, someone did!
It works as long as it is powered on (and not faulty) because it was designed to be so. Whether I use it or not, some background processes will continue to run and I can choose to stop some - because it was engineered to be smart like that! And what is more, if I don't give it certain input, the device will never bring out specific output... just like how we are on earth.

The device doesn't need God to operate will make sense on a shallow level.
Think deeper about it, which part of that device was not made from items and elements found on earth? Even the brain and ideas behind it comes from the brain - a physical matter... God's creation!

Don't put words in my mouth, I don't mention magic so just stop that if you want an honest conversation.
I was asking you a question using my own word; like magic.

Yes.
Yes what? which part of my quoted post are you yes-ing to?
Re: Rethinking Atheism: Existence Of God by DirtyGold: 4:53am On Jan 12, 2020
BoncoBoy:

So u accept that the universe cannot just start to exist but ur God which is much more complex than the universe can just start to exist abi??
I'm glad you acknowledge that God is much more complex - so, what makes you think man's finite brain/awareness can comprehend God in His real essence? To bring this point home, as a human being, there are sounds below our threshold that we cannot hear but animals can hear them. There are lights that our eyes cannot see but some animals can etc... There are natural phenomenoms too low or too high for us to be conscious of (without special equipment deviced to imitate the natural abilities of other creatures) and there are some other things we can never know.

God exists and the evidence is inherent in everything that exists in and outside our world - take it or leave it!

How did this your god start to exist
Death comes to us all... When you die, you might ask Him yourself sir. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Once Saved Always Saved A Fake Gospel? Lets See - Jack Kelley / Christianity is Dicey / Is There Any Scientific Proof That Women Were Created From From Men's Ribs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.