Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? (15763 Views)

Start Uber/Bolt As A Side Hustle Or Get A Piece Of Land : Your Opinion Please / Lady Sacked On Her First Day Of Work After Asking Her Boss This / List Of Highest Paid Ceos In Nigeria And What They Earn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by officialfestus(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2019
kingxsamz:

Calm down sista... It's not as if they asked you if you'll join cult.
cheesy
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by bluskyee: 6:46pm On Dec 31, 2019
Ishilove:

Or make it half or less. If you earn 100k monthly, tell them you earn 25k, otherwise all the bukata will land at your doorstep
and the day your partner finds out? The way people think sometimes I wonder ....I mean if you perceive your partner is a leech you quit if you don't like leeches. You don't lie...never lie...so ensure u get ursef a good partner.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by PeacenLove2: 7:17pm On Dec 31, 2019
It's rude for someone to ask unless you need them to help you.

Your spouse definitely should know. Your parents could. Siblings ... those that you have mutual trust and respect for each other. Friends? I really don't think so, it's not necessary unless you are into a partnership that requires the knowledge. All in all, it's not something that people should be throwing around even though people might like to know. Sometimes just hint it so as not to seem offensive in the presence of those who don't recognize boundaries. Avoid the conversation if possible

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Legendguru: 7:44pm On Dec 31, 2019
Oh
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by tomdon(m): 8:05pm On Dec 31, 2019
pocohantas:
Depends on who is asking.

My partner? Yes

Family? No

Brother? Yes

A friend that is credit worthy? Yes

A friend that is more established? Yes, make them pity me, give me small from their own grin

People that have history or tendency of borrowing and want to know how much you have left after they have collected N50,000? NOOOOOo

That means you're not worthy of knowing the earnings of your friends who are more credit worthy than you. By the way how will I be more credit worthy than you and then give a fùck about your peanuts since you're selfish to think that only people who earn more than you that deserve to know
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by pocohantas(f): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2019
tomdon:

That means you're not worthy of knowing the earnings of your friends who are more credit worthy than you. By the way how will I be more credit worthy than you and then give a fùck about your peanuts since you're selfish to think that only people who earn more than you that deserve to know

Na you sabi why you dey scatter body for the matter. No go kill yourself o

Ryan03:
lwkmd. This lady, are you sure you are not a robot? Your sense of humor is crazy

Lol, I am not. Happy New Year in advance.

truthsayer009:
My take is:

Someone I'm Toasting? No
My partner? No
Family? No
Brother? No
A friend that is credit worthy? No
A friend that is more established? No

grin grin grin grin grin
Abeg I don't have strength

Ahnahn, but you tell me that year na. Abi you done forget tongue
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Chelsea4real: 9:15pm On Dec 31, 2019
I want to teach 10 people here how to make money from writing, web design or any skill you can think of. It is not an quick invest thingy. You have to use your skill. You get hired by foreign clients to do what you love. This is my new years gift and I want just serious people. I am also not collecting anything from you. This is what people charge to teach. Please don't DM me.

Add me on Whatsapp 07019180416
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by kabukabu50(m): 9:19pm On Dec 31, 2019
If you work in a particular field, a quick Google search tells you what the average pay is, it isn't too hard to figure out how much someone makes.
Of course Nigeria isn't there yet so its a little bit tricky.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Nobody: 2:31am On Jan 01, 2020
pocohantas:

Ahnahn, but you tell me that year na. Abi you done forget tongue

Maybe i dom forget sha, but since that lady who was asking for a guy's Annual Salary on the first date on Twitter story came up.

I dom kuku lockup totally grin grin grin
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by topas100(m): 6:30am On Jan 01, 2020
Hmm.....
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by CoolVoice(m): 9:45am On Jan 01, 2020
One girl indirectly ask me that question years back.. I just free her straight away..
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by IGOJ(m): 1:15pm On Jan 01, 2020
StrikeBack:
But we know how much our great footballers earn.

Africans and backwards thinking

We need a drastic change in mentality

It's not backwards thinking...We are just Africans that's all
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by mafnv9: 2:56pm On Jan 01, 2020
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Bianda24: 5:26pm On Jan 01, 2020
It is not a big deal to churn out such information. But I don't see that as anybody's business to ask me if my salary. I won't ask you either. But If u did, maybe I will not consider it but I think it will have to do with your personality.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by romeorailss: 5:47pm On Jan 01, 2020
tstx:
Gbegborun

Gbefila
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by duruallwell25(m): 7:14pm On Jan 01, 2020
600k per annum or per month?
My friend earning 600k still says enu gbe
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by chukzyfcbb: 8:10pm On Jan 01, 2020
I grew up in a family of transparency, so to family I don't have a problem with that. Atleast make them pray for me to get bigger.

To girls/females/GF : Hell No!

To my tight buddies: If I find you reasonable to talk with, sure why not. We use it to motivate ourselves and plan on za next move.

To my random guy pals: Hell No!

So it depends on who is asking....

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by genjutsu(m): 12:25am On Jan 02, 2020
Some of them don't care about that information to make any sensible decision in their lives, they just wanna gossip, measure and size you up, based on your salary.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by mosesjay(m): 9:23am On Jan 02, 2020
its not right, to do such.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Mryacks: 5:56pm On Jan 02, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I have had friends complain that i don't tell them how much i earn even if they tell me theirs.

I personally think salary should be private, what's your opinion on this?

Too personal for anybody to know. Except you decide to divulge on your own..
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by CrazyMan(m): 9:34pm On Jan 15, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I have had friends complain that i don't tell them how much i earn even if they tell me theirs.

I personally think salary should be private, what's your opinion on this?
I don't ask people what they earn and I don't feel comfortable being asked such question. But there are some categories of people in your life that will definitely ask.

My close pals...even though it's supposed to be private, we all knew what each other earned cos we were all within the same level in terms of earnings.

But as I attained promotion and my pay check doubled theirs, I just played mute for my own good to avoid becoming the great provider of the group.

My family...I can't try that rough play of telling them the exact figure of my income.

My partner...women have this entitlement mentality, even though I'm not married I don't plan to tell my wife when I eventually get married my exact income. I'll obviously tell her a figure but not the exact figure. This wouldn't stop me from performing my duties and responsibilities as the man for the home, I'll do all that and more. Just that she won't know the exact figures of my income.

My parents...well they know I'm working, the figures of my income isn't necessary.

My siblings...our discussion doesn't reach that level.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is My Job A Scam!!!!? / Fustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Oluwaseyi Shorinola, Emmanuel Balogun, Rufus Akinyemi Get $391500 Research Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.