Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,133 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Studying Mathematics is Killing Me - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Mathematics is Killing Me (5075 Views)

Mathematics Is The Easiest Course To Study - FUTMINNA Best Student / Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. / What Do You Have To Say About Studying Mathematics As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 7:24pm On Dec 31, 2019
am 22 years old am currently in school studying math, I just finish my 200 level I started with 2.78 now my cgpa is 2.49 I was very intelligent back in. secondary school am frustrated and i don't want to come out with 3rd class i am good in reading course like biology, chemistry, and gst, I was the only one with B in 100 level first semester, most my friends look up to me in math department but am trying my best it not just working pls I need advice
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by AJOBI77(m): 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2019
You needed advise but you ended up creating much confusion. Could you please reformat your post?
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Mayzie(m): 7:47pm On Dec 31, 2019
Don't kee yourself o... Just switch departments. Go microbiology or biochemistry but avoid physics, chemistry and geology since maths is a problem for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Slynation(m): 7:48pm On Dec 31, 2019
Within yourself, can u cope...?? Ask yourself this very important question... Because i can assure you it will only get further!! What will happen when u start doing Ordinary differential Equation(ODE).... This maths alone will give you sleepless night blaming yourself for coming to that particular dept.....

If your head no carry am, no need mincing or sugarcoating words with encouragement.... Kindly take a bow
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 7:50pm On Dec 31, 2019
I try talking to my h.o.d to change department he said my result is good
because I had no carry over in 100 level
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by SeedofDavid: 8:20pm On Dec 31, 2019
Diano154715:
I try talking to my h.o.d to change department he said my result is good
because I had no carry over in 100 level

Maybe he's trying to encourage you that you can still come out with a good result. Mathematics is tedious but surmountable course that requires discipline and lots of practise even for things that appear simple. You may have been a victim of very ridiculous/minute errors.
The final decision you'll be making lies with you. Either to work a little harder or start afresh.

2 Likes

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Stillthebest: 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2019
kiss

A brilliant student who's writing am in place of ' I am' who can't start a sentence with cap. Is that one a brilliant student?

Go to your HOD or Dean SA for advice on how to change your course. Some schools will ask that your CGPA must drop to less than 2.0.

You would only lose a yr. Go for GPS.

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 9:13pm On Dec 31, 2019
sorry for the mistake but they don't allow change of department until a person is withdrawn
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Mrshape: 12:27am On Jan 01, 2020
Write jamb again and go for medicine.

I repeat anyone that can study mathematics,physics and engineering can study anything if he has interest in it.
Maths is fun.
By next year I will be going for medicine.
After them maybe Law or genetics

2 Likes

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Equity15(m): 1:11am On Jan 01, 2020
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Equity15(m): 1:11am On Jan 01, 2020
maths is actually very easy. it requires just constant practice. I respect people that have interest in reading courses tho. I sleep immediately I pick a book to read. maths all the ways. just plug in my head phones and I can go for hours. university days Sweet sha

3 Likes

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Efewestern: 1:46am On Jan 01, 2020
Diano154715:
am 22 years old am currently in school studying math, I just finish my 200 level I started with 2.78 now my cgpa is 2.49 I was very intelligent back in. secondary school am frustrated and i don't want to come out with 3rd class i am good in reading course like biology, chemistry, and gst, I was the only one with B in 100 level first semester, most my friends look up to me in math department but am trying my best it not just working pls I need advice

I studied mathematics and I can tell you for sure that if you put in efforts, you will scale through with a good result.

Since you are starting a new semester, make it a habit of reading every topic the same day it's being taught, For every theorem read, get a jotter and write down everything by heart , do it four times and go to the next course.

Repeat same process on weekends.

5 Likes

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Nobody: 4:01am On Jan 01, 2020
Diano154715:
am 22 years old... but am trying my best it not just working pls I need advice

Thanks for sharing

Part of the training you get from school is also character-building.

You are trying your best? REALLY?

Are you admitting that this course is somehow bigger than you?

As long as that course was designed by mortals, you CAN excel in it. That is if you WANT to.

That’s really the issue here; what do you really want? No one can decide that for you.

If this is what you really want, then buckle down and get better at improving your skills

Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by oz4real83(m): 5:20am On Jan 01, 2020
This is how Nigerian universities keep killing bright students. I am 100% sure u never applied for mathematics because u had no passion for it and it doesn't move u. I also suspect the university gave u the course despite applying for medicine or another life science course and because u didn't want to spend another year at home, u accepted it. Now u are confused, bitter and frustrated. It is not too late. If u can't change your course for something u have passion for, then write jamb again. Passion drives goals. U can't succeed in a business u don't have passion for. I maybe wrong but that is my opinion. Good luck.

5 Likes

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by oz4real83(m): 5:20am On Jan 01, 2020

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by sparog(m): 6:43am On Jan 01, 2020
Go to your HOD or level adviser and have a chat with him or her, if you need to change your course pls do but if deep down inside you, u knw u love mathematics and you can cope maybe all you need to do is re-strategize on how you study...
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Petersamuel8(m): 9:32am On Jan 01, 2020
I advise you to put more interest in mathematics, begin to love the course just like chemistry and physics and you will see changes
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 01, 2020
Keep telling yourself everyday that you love maths and it's very simple... you'll need to break this psychological Kilimanjaro first, before you can Excel in math department.The moment you picture maths as not being easy you've automatically locked yourself in a psychological kirikiri full of mosquitoes

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Lamasta(m): 11:29am On Jan 01, 2020
Once your instinct is telling You that You can't cope then try and change to computer science or better still change department cos mentally you are already defeated as far as mathematics is concerned and you are even at the early stage in Maths
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Charisgeorge: 4:59pm On Jan 01, 2020
maths require maximum concentration
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 01, 2020
Discuss with your financier first by saying the truth.
Then see if u can change school,dept or write jamb.

Nigerian educational system is fukked up seriously.
I'm positive u never applied for it.

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by SirdimayG(m): 5:16pm On Jan 01, 2020
It's advisable to change course or re-write JAMB. It's obviously you're not interested in mathematics and if that's the case, you're no near to excel in it. This is just early stage of mathematics..
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 8:21pm On Jan 01, 2020
@oz4real83
I Nerva wanted to study mathematics
and I didn't want to stay at home for another year that why I accepted it.now I regret everyday of my life
I read for 6 hour everyday I learn math problems on youtube sometimes sadist lecturals add to the problem it not like am not serious, fainted 2 times in school because of stress
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 8:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
in other courses I score 50 over 60 in exam
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 8:43pm On Jan 01, 2020
'
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by yusman14(m): 12:55am On Jan 02, 2020
Slynation:
Within yourself, can u cope...?? Ask yourself this very important question... Because i can assure you it will only get further!! What will happen when u start doing Ordinary differential Equation(ODE).... This maths alone will give you sleepless night blaming yourself for coming to that particular dept.....

If your head no carry am, no need mincing or sugarcoating words with encouragement.... Kindly take a bow
lol..ODE even simple...linear algebra, vector spaces dey dere

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by yusman14(m): 1:07am On Jan 02, 2020
I can feel your pain..
maths is not that difficult it depends on your interest..I am a 300l engineering student of OAU,and I can tell you that maths is like a bonus or GPA booster to us on faculty of technology.... Dedicate your time to your studies.
And as one of my lecturers use to say: don't ever sit for an exam if their is a question you cannot solve on that course.....
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Diano154715: 1:43pm On Jan 03, 2020
Diano154715:
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Eliass: 2:42pm On Jan 03, 2020
yusman14:
lol..ODE even simple...linear algebra, vector spaces dey dere

I swear linear Algebra, vector space kill me ehn, I'm yet to see my result thou

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by Eliass: 2:46pm On Jan 03, 2020
yusman14:
I can feel your pain..
maths is not that difficult it depends on your interest..I am a 300l engineering student of OAU,and I can tell you that maths is like a bonus or GPA booster to us on faculty of technology.... Dedicate your time to your studies.
And as one of my lecturers use to say: don't ever sit for an exam if their is a question you cannot solve on that course.....

U said its bonus I doubt you meant that word, well it depends on the person that coordinated mth during ur set, Cus I'm gonna b in 300l also next session and I don't see how 19As out of 1500+ students issa bonus in our 201

1 Like

Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by yusman14(m): 3:01pm On Jan 03, 2020
Eliass:

U said its bonus I doubt you meant that word, well it depends on the person that coordinated mth during ur set, Cus I'm gonna b in 300l also next session and I don't see how 19As out of 1500+ students issa bonus in our 201
yeah... luckily,I am among the 19 people by God's grace...
my dept av d highest number of A's in MTH201...I am just moving to 300l...
it was coordinated by Dr jayeola... though people had 40 too....but comparing maths courses to the engineering courses I took...oboy I prefer mth
Re: Studying Mathematics is Killing Me by yusman14(m): 3:06pm On Jan 03, 2020
Eliass:

I swear linear Algebra, vector space kill me ehn, I'm yet to see my result thou
MTH202 OAU....Dr borokini wan kill us...can u remember the first theory question??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unn Shut Down Over Students’ Fee Hike Protest / Federal College Of Education Umunze Old School Day / UNIZIK Releases 2016 /2017 Pre - Science Result – How To Check

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.