Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,202 members, 7,860,312 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:19 AM

Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? (2614 Views)

Breaking: UK IB Times Says Nigeria Have Expired / Senator - Elect Dino Maleye, Promises To Lead Campaign For Law Makers Salary Cut / Buy Nigeria: Law Makers Approve Innoson Vehicles For Official Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 10:05pm On Dec 03, 2010
@ nna boy, u are getting to my thought, but the problem now is since they are the law makers they will not pass such into law. how can we go about it?
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 10:11pm On Dec 03, 2010
@ jamesugo, u said 'Another strategy of embezzlement'. So i ask, how will part time law makers (per sitting payment system - PSPS) be a strategy of embezzlemen?
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 5:54am On Dec 04, 2010
To me law makers do their work on part time as they only sit about 66days out of 261/2 days a year, they even earn more than civil servants that works all year round. Law makers shld be paid per sitting
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 5:55am On Dec 04, 2010
To me law makers do their work on part time as they only sit about 66days out of 261/2 days a year, they even earn more than civil servants that works all year round. Law makers shld be paid per sitting
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 7:18pm On Dec 05, 2010
I thank God there are some politicians that share the same view i have of nigeria having part-time lawmakers
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 7:19pm On Dec 05, 2010
I thank God there are some politicians that share the same view i have of nigeria having part-time lawmakers
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by marvix(m): 8:04pm On Dec 05, 2010
Before all this started I had already been takin a look at the issue and actually suggest that in the spirit of deregulating the national minimum wage the salries of the lawmakers should be deregulated.

Lawmakers should be paid by their state govs and report to their state assemblies, their pay should be a function of the civil service pay in their respective states.

Their salaries should depend on what ordinary Nigerians are earning, so that when ever they want an increase labour will also enjoy the same percentage of increase and when ever labour agitates for higher wages the lawmakers also benefit, this would be in the over all interest of the nation.

Their activities should be monitored by their state assemblies, national lawmakers should not see themselves as bosses to their colleagues in the state houses, this is a democracy, the senator or federal lawmaker is not senior to the state lawmaker, the federal lawmaker represent a district within a state and that district has about 5 members in the state assembly, so the federal lawmaker should be invited maybe once in a quarter to give account of what he has been doing in the national assembly, this should include how many sittings he has attended how many was he absent from for official reasons, what has been his contribution to the debates and how has the state where he represents benefited from his position as a senator.

This is the basis and principle of democracy, because as it is rite now the Assembly checks the execut5ive vis a vis the presidency, but who checks the assembly?

In my humble suggestion let the state thye represent check them.
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 8:55pm On Dec 05, 2010
@ marvix, ur post is wonderfully good. Am trying to have a break-down of the amount made available for us to see how much each of them earn.
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 9:10pm On Dec 05, 2010
@ justicemarv, pls that is about what?
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 6:41am On Dec 06, 2010
mmmm justicemarv
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 9:52am On Dec 06, 2010
One Elo-chukwu a NASS aspirant for 2011 under pdp on channels Tv yesterday has advocated part-time job for nigeria's lawmakers. Are we to support him or not as it really depend on us because a finger cannot remove a lice from the head.
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by bignaija(m): 7:48pm On Dec 07, 2010
yes they would get half salary
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Kobojunkie: 8:14pm On Dec 07, 2010
Nope, I believe this is what I deem a ridiculous suggestion considering the state of the nation as a whole. We are nowhere near secure enough to opt for part-time legislators. Those we have so far have done about 1 year's worth of work in over 12 years. Why would part-time be the way to go?
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 8:34pm On Dec 07, 2010
There are speculations that each lawmaker in Abuja earn about N290m annually, how can we reduce such amount so as not to get into one man's purse?
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by angrynaija: 3:27am On Dec 08, 2010
thievery in all facets of the government in nigeria. these so-calld lawmakers are boldly enriching themselves with outrageous salaries in the millions of dollars. only in nigeria can this happen.

bold-faced thieves!!
Re: Should Nigeria Have Part-time Law Makers? by Nsiman(m): 6:45am On Dec 08, 2010
If truely they earn N290m annually, it means they earn about N805, 555 daily, leaving an ordinary nigerian to live below poverty line/level

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reavealed: Ojukwu Had A Child With A Fulani Lady In 1965 / Niger To Build 90 Units Of Cottage Industries At N1.4bn / PDP & APC... The Winner of NL Unofficial popularity poll Emerges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.