Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,589 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) (1964 Views)

Akwa Ibom Begins Construction Of Automobile Factory (Photos And Video) / Mayorkun's Next Rated Car Brand Revealed Wasn't Hyundai SUV. / 2 Months Used 04 Camry. Purchased 4 UBER, But Driver Wasn't Delivering #1.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2020
This is a story, an inspiration, a challenge and a thread.

How do you build a device that can lift a 2 ton speed boat out of the water by a hand operated winch?

That's exactly what I'm thinking in the picture below.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:33pm On Jan 02, 2020
This is what I came up with. grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2020
first things first, I rented a space at the iron market ...
N2000 per day.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by Donchichi212(m): 10:45pm On Jan 02, 2020
Hello boss, first thing you need a welder, of which I'm one, so you can call me on 07033291983, I'm in PH.

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by Ashawopapa001: 10:49pm On Jan 02, 2020
I love challenging stories

I

C
U
M

I
N

P
I
S
S

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2020
Next thing was material selection. since the lift was going to be permanently in salt water, it was important to make sure all parts were galvanized steel and stainless steel. even electrodes for welding were stainless steel electrodes.

another important consideration was the capacity of the winch. since I was designing a 4 cable lift, the minimum winch capacity I would need is a half ton winch in order to lift a 2ton boat.

so when I saw 1ton written on that winch. I knew it would hold up.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:59pm On Jan 02, 2020
That's the boat I'm trying to lift by hand.
Failure means I'll have to refund almost 2m Naira. where I wan see am? undecided

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:05pm On Jan 02, 2020
Donchichi212:
Hello boss, first thing you need a welder, of which I'm one, so you can call me on 07033291983, I'm in PH.

Na lie! first thing I need na empty space

4 Likes

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:18pm On Jan 02, 2020
Selection of stanchions complete. all galvanized and imported materials. so corrosion will hardly set in.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:25pm On Jan 02, 2020
welded the main frame ensuring all the corners are square.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:29pm On Jan 02, 2020
Both main frames now complete. checkout my James Bond glasses �

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:33pm On Jan 02, 2020
Next, assembly of main frames to see how they fit together.
That's how people were just passing up and down disturbing me

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:39pm On Jan 02, 2020
Now painted and reassembled at the rented space for the real battle to commence.

Na play we dey play since trust yourself not me grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by laivwire(m): 1:03am On Jan 03, 2020
Following
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by iamademola(m): 1:08am On Jan 03, 2020
Oya
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by slimzy28(m): 3:21am On Jan 03, 2020
Let me park here
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by Kulverstukas(m): 3:45am On Jan 03, 2020
Nice innovative and informative thread. Just in case, I do hot-dip metal galvanizing that meets international standard and would be of assistance if necessary. You sure have a lot on your hands but I'm certain experience and perseverance would guide you. If you were in PH, I could have helped you with some equipments(Forklift, metal baths, angle irons) you might need for free. I love fascinating projects as these! I wish you all the best!

PS: Seems like you're in Lagos. If you know prospective clients for metal galvanizing in Lagos, we could do business as I'm working on opening a branch of my factory in Lagos this first quarter of the year. Proofs of work are available and I'm available for meet ups if and when necessary.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by FEGNO: 5:18am On Jan 03, 2020
Chief, more pictures abeg

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 7:17am On Jan 03, 2020
Good morning people, I had to sleep, but now that I'm awake ...more pictures coming. sit tight
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 7:23am On Jan 03, 2020
Kulverstukas:
Nice innovative and informative thread. Just in case, I do hot-dip metal galvanizing that meets international standard and would be of assistance if necessary. You sure have a lot on your hands but I'm certain experience and perseverance would guide you. If you were in PH, I could have helped you with some equipments(Forklift, metal baths, angle irons) you might need for free. I love fascinating projects as these! I wish you all the best!

PS: Seems like you're in Lagos. If you know prospective clients for metal galvanizing in Lagos, we could do business as I'm working on opening a branch of my factory in Lagos this first quarter of the year. Proofs of work are available and I'm available for meet ups if and when necessary.

Cheers

thanks, hnmn free angle iron? I would jump at that any day. another client wants another boat lift this January and his concept is even more challenging.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 8:33am On Jan 03, 2020
Next, had to mark the transfer beams and load beams for installation of rollers for the lift cables.
Note: even the winch cables had to be galvanized steel cables minimum of 8mm.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by kingreign(m): 8:56am On Jan 03, 2020
Front page pls, lalasticlala, mynd44, Dominique, seun.
CC: gazzuzz, egunmogaji2
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:38am On Jan 03, 2020
Following with keen interest, buying a boat is on bucket list.

2 Likes

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:42am On Jan 03, 2020
Mounting the winch.
The thing about integrating most off the shelf components is that most times you chose your dimensions and parameters from existing features you find on the component you bought.

so this design and construction of a boat lift, I did it without any design drawing. everything was plan as you go. I prayed a lot because, imagine working without a drawing for something as complex as this and if I fail I'll have to refund a lot of money.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:48am On Jan 03, 2020
Marking out the holes for the U-bolts that will hold the winch in place.

the winch must not slid down the stanchion when lifting the boat else I'm in trouble. we will mitigate that when we get there. just know that for now.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 10:58am On Jan 03, 2020
Next I mounted the winch on one of the stanchions I made 1 ft longer than the other 3 stanchions.

this mounting is just for testing purposes. the final height of the winch has to be 1m above where it is now.

may it interest you to know that the depth of the river where the boat lift will be installed is about 2m at high tide and 1.4m at low tide.

so 70% of this lift will be submerged in water beyond visual range. grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:02am On Jan 03, 2020
Gave a tailor money at the market to make a tarp to cover the winch at close of work everyday so rain water doesn't enter inside. this was in October and it was still raining like mad.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 11:10am On Jan 03, 2020
Here after installing the transfer lines and load lines and hooked them up with the winch...I was wondering if it will work. angry

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by elshanAutos: 11:45am On Jan 03, 2020
Lovely thread, front page material!

Lalasticlala
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2020
Now if you go to Owode and you never chop their ewedu ... it means you no come work today cool

I ate it everyday for 3 weeks

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 1:33pm On Jan 03, 2020
Testing to see if it can lift me and the ewedu in my stomach...

like play like play my stomach was just lifting up until later my whole body started to follow grin

Before I knew it I was 2m in the air .....hnmn that's a good start. at least I weigh about 75-80kg.

2tons is what we want to lift with this device so enough of the play play sad

3 Likes

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by Kulverstukas(m): 2:41pm On Jan 03, 2020
EkoErrands:

thanks, hnmn free angle iron? I would jump at that any day. another client wants another boat lift this January and his concept is even more challenging.
Lol. Yes I could give you free angle irons if you were in PH, many clients who can't pay the balance of their jobs due to many reasons(including but not limited to politicization of the jobs) abandon their metals in my factory so I have lots of angle irons,U-beams, flanges and even ladders dusty in my factory for many, many years. Most of these clients aren't even operational any longer or have moved out of Nigeria so there's really no breach of contract! Good to know you have another project this January. I used to galavanize metals and bolts for a huge Oil Servicing Company which also assembles boats in PH so I'm quite experienced. I have also done jobs for major IOCs here ranging from Chevron to Shell to Addax to Mobil etc. I'm honestly very impressed by your project and would gladly accept any galvanizing jobs 100kg and above. Do update us regularly on this thread about this project as I am now a keen observer. You go win las las..

Cheers

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Very Sharp Registered HYUNDAI SONATA 2008 Model Available For Sale / !!!!!!! Sold: Clean 9ja Used Toyota Camry 06 For 1.220m !!!!!!! / CLEAN NIJA USED 08 CAMRY 1.650m LAST!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.