Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) (1978 Views)

Akwa Ibom Begins Construction Of Automobile Factory (Photos And Video) / Mayorkun's Next Rated Car Brand Revealed Wasn't Hyundai SUV. / 2 Months Used 04 Camry. Purchased 4 UBER, But Driver Wasn't Delivering #1.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2020
Kulverstukas:
Lol. Yes I could give you free angle irons if you were in PH, many clients who can't pay the balance of their jobs due to many reasons(including but not limited to politicization of the jobs) abandon their metals in my factory so I have lots of angle irons,U-beams, flanges and even ladders dusty in my factory for many, many years. Most of these clients aren't even operational any longer or have moved out of Nigeria so there's really no breach of contract! Good to know you have another project this January. I used to galavanize metals and bolts for a huge Oil Servicing Company which also assembles boats in PH so I'm quite experienced. I have also done jobs for major IOCs here ranging from Chevron to Shell to Addax to Mobil etc. I'm honestly very impressed by your project and would gladly accept any galvanizing jobs 100kg and above. Do update us regularly on this thread about this project as I am now a keen observer. You go win las las..

Cheers

I see you. with that kind of business you should be in Lagos honestly ...

I'm sure I'll need you very soon.
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 3:28pm On Jan 03, 2020
Then, I designed the cradle that will make contact with the hull of the boat without damaging it...so we don't have another Titanic incident for the client.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2020
I bought hard wood and sliced them into 1m lengths so that the cradle can bend in conformity with the curves on the boat hull.

The angle iron cradle frame would bend by default so I had no fear there.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 3:33pm On Jan 03, 2020
These bolts holding the hard wood had to be flush mounted so they don't scratch the hull of the boat. I can't allow my work to kill my client ...I love him grin

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by mexxy1(m): 4:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
EkoErrands:
Now if you go to Owode and you never chop their ewedu ... it means you no come work today cool

I ate it everyday for 3 weeks

The face here looks familiar.

Eronini?
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 4:34pm On Jan 03, 2020
mexxy1:

The face here looks familiar.
Eronini?
people say that everywhere I go, pls remind me
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2020
That's where I sit to think about the next step and how to go about it; or how to solve a problem.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2020
The hard wood completely bolted unto the cradle bars. flush bolted for obvious reasons.

I was initially contemplating wrapping the hard wood with some kind of rug or conveyor belt but the thought of being called back after 2 months for maintenance works inside that smelling river had me changing my mind.

I go just paint the hard wood galvanized colour grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2020
I decided to test the lift with heavy beams someone was selling beside me. had to pay the man just to use his beams as a load on the boat lift. then paid the boys that helped me load it on the boat lift.

Total weight I was able to get around was 699.35kg.

if it can lift this one ...then there is hope ... cry

I don't want to say what was going through my brain while they were loading all those heavy beams on the cradle...I don't wish that feeling on my enemy.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by mexxy1(m): 4:58pm On Jan 03, 2020
EkoErrands:

people say that everywhere I go, pls remind me

OSC.

You're not him otherwise when I typed 'Eronini' you would have replied if you were him as that's his name.

I first suspected when I saw the Ford pickup then the picture of you after eating was clearer but, you're not him from your reply.

Nice job you did there.
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:05pm On Jan 03, 2020
I was just anxiously pacing about ...sweating and doing mass per unit length calculations with mass per unit length parameters I got from Google ...looking like a scared maniac...that's how I arrived at 699.35kg.

After everything sha, it lifted it and held up. it was even bouncing like a bouncing boat lift grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:19pm On Jan 03, 2020
Next it was time to go.

Dismantled the entire thing. another reason why I used bolts and nuts everywhere so that I can carry it easily.

There was also no access for a crane or HIAB at the river bank so when we get there, installation has to be entirely by hand.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:23pm On Jan 03, 2020
We left the place just as we met it

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:27pm On Jan 03, 2020
Installation time. Oh my ...how I hate coveralls cry

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2020
During installation, we couldn't take even a single picture because we were inside the river.

I lost 2 spanners to the river and if I lose my phone we won't be here today. grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2020
installation was very stressful because we had to respect the tide.

I was using a website that shows Lagos tide levels and times of lowest tide and times of highest tides. that was the only way o!

because for one I don't enjoy my balls coming in contact with that smelling water grin

This water hyacinth, it's like them swear for am. one minute the water is clear, the next 10 minutes water hyacinth will just appear from nowhere and cover everywhere...

When they disappear too it's as if someone turned their switch off. you come the next day you won't be able to find a single leaf.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 5:59pm On Jan 03, 2020
D Day

the tension was unbearable, God na your hand I dey.

But I had to pretend I was normal in front of everybody. truth be told, no be be stand there.

I died a thousand times and woke up each time because of my mother

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by Kulverstukas(m): 6:01pm On Jan 03, 2020
EkoErrands:

I see you. with that kind of business you should be in Lagos honestly ...

I'm sure I'll need you very soon.

Funny enough, I'm in Lagos already but not for work purposes. I get your point and I have done jobs in Lagos a few times but I get to rent a temporary place to use as factory, transport my skilled workers to and fro, incur a lot of running costs which would be nonexistent if the job were in PH and many of the companies would send their staff to learn what exactly you do in the name of job supervision so as to put you out of business lol. For these reasons, I charge forex($) for jobs outside PH. I still get a few jobs in other southern states but PH wins it for me cos I be full indigene and get to use indigenous quota shit to get few jobs on a consistent basis which is what puts food on my table but I'm very keen in this your project and would definitely want to work with you. Just hit me up when you need me. I'll give you favorable costing and charge you in naira.

That aside, what's the estimated total tonnage of the metals used here and how do you take care of the welded joints, you use oil paint or spray them?
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
Had to use my truck to tow the boat....as them no gree tow am by themselves. this wasn't part of my contract

ended up bending my tow bar now my truck looks like a lowbed from behind ...I regretted it but even today I don't think I had an option.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2020
Kulverstukas:

Funny enough, I'm in Lagos already but not for work purposes. I get your point and I have done jobs in Lagos a few times but I get to rent a temporary place to use as factory, transport my skilled workers to and fro, incur a lot of running costs which would be nonexistent if the job were in PH and many of the companies would send their staff to learn what exactly you do in the name of job supervision so as to put you out of business lol. For these reasons, I charge forex($) for jobs outside PH. I still get a few jobs in other southern states but PH wins it for me cos I be full indigene and get to use indigenous quota shit to get few jobs on a consistent basis which is what puts food on my table but I'm very keen in this your project and would definitely want to work with you. Just hit me up when you need me. I'll give you favorable costing and charge you in naira.

That aside, what's the estimated total tonnage of the metals used here and how do you take care of the welded joints, you use oil paint or spray them?

Total tonnage was a little less than 700kg from calculations.

yes I sprayed the entire thing with galvanized paint. since the materials were already galvanized and I used stainless steel electrodes all through paint wasn't that important to me so I bought ordinary galvanized paint they sell everywhere and spray painted it with an auto painter.
Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2020
Hooked the rig up and ready to move.

please don't try this at home.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2020
I paid for a jetty the previous day ...from where I planned to lunch the boat into the water.

Here's me practicing how to drive an articulated rig in reverse. I give kudos to our trailer drivers who do this everyday.

Again! don't try this at home.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2020
When the jetty personnel said salt water will destroy my car I didn't answer him. me I know say I won't allow the salt water to even touch my tyre talk less of my chassis grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2020
Don't try this with a Toyota Hilux.

if not na 2 boats you go lunch that day. grin

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2020
Had to park at the jetty, so I can join the boat to the test site.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2020
My self confidence continued to fade with every passing minute.
Here only half of my liver still dey work. Had to put on a straight face though.

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:34pm On Jan 03, 2020
Here with only 20% liver left, I just hanged on. as long as I'm breathing ...let me just stand here.

I can't come and kill myself

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2020
Said a little prayer. and thinking what could go wrong? I have crossed all my T's and dotted all my I's . I just had to submit to my God jare...no be me Sabi pass...

if I eff up. I'm dead.

even the man way sublet to me didn't come for the testing. fear no gree am. his staff sef no come.

My brother and sisters, for this life na only God you get o! and your mama. My mother dey on top this matter too o! she knows the meaning if e no work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2020
EkoErrands:
Said a little prayer. and thinking what could go wrong? I have crossed all my T's and dotted all my I's . I just had to submit to my God jare...no be me Sabi pass...

if I eff up. I'm dead.

even the man way sublet to me didn't come for the testing. fear no gree am. his staff sef no come.

My brother and sisters, for this life na only God you get o! and your mama. My mother dey on top this matter too o! she knows the meaning if e no work.
wow!
I like how you keep your mom involved,like I do mine too.
Good one bro.resourceful Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by mrsteel: 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2020
EkoErrands:
Now if you go to Owode and you never chop their ewedu ... it means you no come work today cool

I ate it everyday for 3 weeks
Lol

1 Like

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2020
I just remembered this boat carry 2 massive 200hp engine for back. each of them about 220kg if i remember correctly.

depression just set in. I regretted coming to Lagos immediately undecided

Re: When Failure Wasn't An Option (boatlift Construction) by EkoErrands: 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
As we dey go, I tell the boat driver to allow me drive small.

At least if I die if the thing no work ...make I use this trill enjoy my remaining life. I can't come I kill myself before them kill me tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

!!! Accident 012 Lexus RX 350 For Sale / Buy My Upgraded Toyota Camry Bigdaddy 2005 Fulloption 890k / Ad Renewed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.