Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,960 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say (48513 Views)

DISTRIBUTORSHIP IN NIGERIA - A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS. / Reno Omokri: 'When You Meet A Wealthy Man, Don't Ask For Money' / Eight Ways To Improve Your Chance Of Becoming Wealthy In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Patrioticman007(m): 8:09pm On Jan 05, 2020
Imagine only 2m people earn $ 10,000 dollars yearly out of over 200m citizens, audio millionaires every where, fake life fake people, fake fake. Lord enrich us in this world and hereafter. Ameen

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by bestower: 8:10pm On Jan 05, 2020
Money is in Nigeria but our leaders don't want equality, they are too selfish to let Nigeria be great. Let's ask how China Turns things around for themselves with the advantage of the population.... Religion also affecting us, been brainwashed by Alfa's, pastors, etc... We can still do it. God help us.

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by toprealman: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2020
To economists in the house......is GDP an accurate measurement of the growth of a nation?

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by kiddapunk: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:
In 2003, Dangote set out to build his first cement plant with a budget of about $480 million. On completion of the project in 2007, he had borrowed an extra $175 million, built a dam, a gas pipeline (92km long) and more than 400 new houses. But guess what? No Nigerian bank was big enough to fund this project. In fact, the capital in more than 90% of the banks in Nigeria that year was just a little over $20 million. He had to look elsewhere.

Simple economic terms
GDP — in straightforward terms, the GDP or Gross Domestic Product is the monetary value of all finished goods and services in a country within a specific period. It is used to estimate the size of an economy and growth rate.
GDP per capita — If all the money Nigeria made in a year was split evenly amongst every single Nigerian, what each person gets is called the GDP per capita.
National Budget — The government gets money from taxes and fees and spends it on things like healthcare, infrastructure, education and general expenditures.

Nigeria’s economy

Poverty level by State in Nigeria (image 1)
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa with a GDP of $398 billion compared to its closest competitor; South Africa, which has a GDP of $368 billion. However, the real wealth of a nation is calculated by its GDP per capita, and Nigeria ranked 140 out of 186 in GDP per capita global ranking.
Nigeria’s GDP per capita stands at $1,963 compared to South Africa’s $6,100 and Egypt’s $12,000. (Luxembourg ranks the highest in the world with GDP per capita of $144,000).
Nigeria is one of only 8 ‘World Bank red zones’. These are the only countries on the planet where GDP per capita (an indicator of individual share of wealth) has fallen steadily over the past 20 years.
Nigeria’s budget for the health sector in 2018 was $938 million for a population of over 190 million people compared to South Africa’s $17.6 billion for a population of just 56 million people. This means that as an average Nigerian, the government’s health budget for you for a whole year was just $4.5. Don’t forget the UK which set aside over $250 billion for the healthcare of its citizens in the same year (more than 10x Nigeria’s entire 2018 budget). That means each citizen was entitled to health funds of $4,000.

How did others do it?
You see, money is a coward; when money goes somewhere, and there’s trouble, money runs away. But when it goes to a place, and there is peace, it stays there. You don’t see money go to Iraq or Syria or Afghanistan, but you see it go to the UK, Singapore, London, China, etc. If you scare money, it runs away.

China Poverty Decline from 1981–2005 (image 2)
In a single generation, China has had over 600 million people move out of poverty. Three hundred million people (about the population of the US) move from rural to urban areas every ten years. This is because China is still experiencing its economic take-off phase; this describes a situation where the majority of the working population move from agricultural jobs to tech and industry and move from the country-side to cities.
The level of urbanisation that took place in China in 22 years is equivalent to the UK’s level that took 120 years and USA that took 80 years. So maybe there is hope for Nigeria.

Other Indicators

Number of Billionaires in China — 2015 (image 3)
According to BBC, China produces two (2) new billionaires every week and one million (1,000,000) millionaires every year.
I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah, I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah
(Verse 2)
I wanna wake up in a Lamborghini, I wan chop life on Santorini, oh yeah.
-Teni the entertainer, Billionaire

Meanwhile, according to the NDIC, 98% of Nigerians don’t have up to N500,000 ($1,250) in their accounts. According to Mckinsey & Co, only 2m people in Nigeria have purchasing power and annual incomes over $10,000.

2. In India, the city of Mumbai alone has almost 60,000 millionaires; meanwhile, in Nigeria, there are just 12,300 millionaires in the entire country.

3. One of the measures for the economy and middle class of a society is the records of airport passengers compared to its population. In one year, Nigeria had 15.2 million airport passengers compared to Singapore Changi Airport, which served over 65 million passengers. (Singapore population — 5.6 million). The metropolis of Shenzen alone in China had over 400 million airport passengers in a single year. (Shenzen population — 12.5 million)

4. South Africa’s fourth-largest bank — Nedbank has a market cap of $72 billion. This is bigger than the market cap of all the banks in Nigeria put together, including GTB, Zenith, FirstBank and Ecobank.

So what do we do?
The real wealth of a nation is in its people and like Dangote would say, “Nobody will fix Nigeria for us until we take the lead”. One of the greatest assets that have helped China and India grow is its population.
So is Nigeria a truly wealthy nation? The answer is No. However, it can be so. If an average Nigerian produces half the GDP per capita of the average UK citizen, our GDP will not be $398 billion but $3.9 trillion.

The growth of businesses drives the economy, and therefore, the government must put in place suitable policies to promote business growth. We must increase our productivity as a nation. And it begins with you. Do better, work smarter and grow bigger.
Please comment and share if you find this useful. I am Klein Udumaga.

This article was originally posted on my medium page. Please follow as I shed more light on the Nigerian economy and how to sell to Nigerians.
https://medium.com/@kleinuduh/is-nigeria-a-truly-wealthy-nation-7f839d838a6c
good evening sir, and what a great read you have here. As an aspiring entrepreneur i find your economic knowledge to be of massive value, so pls can i have your contact so i can get.more infos from you. i'd be really delighted.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Hypocrit: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2020
BedLam:
Power supply is not enough to motivate a lazy person or fix the other things a country needs. We need power supply and many other things.
Nigerians are not lazy, i always tell people this. We simply have the problem of greed which is not thesame thing as being lazy.

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by MJBOLT: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2020
"98% of nigerians dont have up to 500k in their accounts"

i think say na only me broke

9 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by SaintLucia: 8:14pm On Jan 05, 2020
Nigeria economy is not a 24 hours economy due to lack of infrastructure compare to countries listed above. Infrastructure grow economy until we have them....... I pray the next administration after this one continue to build more infrastructure and complete the ones they will inherit. Former American president Kennedy once said: America is rich not because they have money, but America is rich because they have good road network.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by tstx(m): 8:14pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:
In 2003, Dangote set out to build his first cement plant with a budget of about $480 million. On completion of the project in 2007, he had borrowed an extra $175 million, built a dam, a gas pipeline (92km long) and more than 400 new houses. But guess what? No Nigerian bank was big enough to fund this project. In fact, the capital in more than 90% of the banks in Nigeria that year was just a little over $20 million. He had to look elsewhere.

Simple economic terms
GDP — in straightforward terms, the GDP or Gross Domestic Product is the monetary value of all finished goods and services in a country within a specific period. It is used to estimate the size of an economy and growth rate.
GDP per capita — If all the money Nigeria made in a year was split evenly amongst every single Nigerian, what each person gets is called the GDP per capita.
National Budget — The government gets money from taxes and fees and spends it on things like healthcare, infrastructure, education and general expenditures.

Nigeria’s economy

Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa with a GDP of $398 billion compared to its closest competitor; South Africa, which has a GDP of $368 billion. However, the real wealth of a nation is calculated by its GDP per capita, and Nigeria ranked 140 out of 186 in GDP per capita global ranking.
Nigeria’s GDP per capita stands at $1,963 compared to South Africa’s $6,100 and Egypt’s $12,000. (Luxembourg ranks the highest in the world with GDP per capita of $144,000).
Nigeria is one of only 8 ‘World Bank red zones’. These are the only countries on the planet where GDP per capita (an indicator of individual share of wealth) has fallen steadily over the past 20 years.
Nigeria’s budget for the health sector in 2018 was $938 million for a population of over 190 million people compared to South Africa’s $17.6 billion for a population of just 56 million people. This means that as an average Nigerian, the government’s health budget for you for a whole year was just $4.5. Don’t forget the UK which set aside over $250 billion for the healthcare of its citizens in the same year (more than 10x Nigeria’s entire 2018 budget). That means each citizen was entitled to health funds of $4,000.

How did others do it?
You see, money is a coward; when money goes somewhere, and there’s trouble, money runs away. But when it goes to a place, and there is peace, it stays there. You don’t see money go to Iraq or Syria or Afghanistan, but you see it go to the UK, Singapore, London, China, etc. If you scare money, it runs away.

In a single generation, China has had over 600 million people move out of poverty. Three hundred million people (about the population of the US) move from rural to urban areas every ten years. This is because China is still experiencing its economic take-off phase; this describes a situation where the majority of the working population move from agricultural jobs to tech and industry and move from the country-side to cities.
The level of urbanisation that took place in China in 22 years is equivalent to the UK’s level that took 120 years and USA that took 80 years. So maybe there is hope for Nigeria.

Other Indicators

According to BBC, China produces two (2) new billionaires every week and one million (1,000,000) millionaires every year.
I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah, I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah
(Verse 2)

Meanwhile, according to the NDIC, 98% of Nigerians don’t have up to N500,000 ($1,250) in their accounts. According to Mckinsey & Co, only 2m people in Nigeria have purchasing power and annual incomes over $10,000.

2. In India, the city of Mumbai alone has almost 60,000 millionaires; meanwhile, in Nigeria, there are just 12,300 millionaires in the entire country.

3. One of the measures for the economy and middle class of a society is the records of airport passengers compared to its population. In one year, Nigeria had 15.2 million airport passengers compared to Singapore Changi Airport, which served over 65 million passengers. (Singapore population — 5.6 million). The metropolis of Shenzen alone in China had over 400 million airport passengers in a single year. (Shenzen population — 12.5 million)

4. South Africa’s fourth-largest bank — Nedbank has a market cap of $72 billion. This is bigger than the market cap of all the banks in Nigeria put together, including GTB, Zenith, FirstBank and Ecobank.

So what do we do?
The real wealth of a nation is in its people and like Dangote would say, “Nobody will fix Nigeria for us until we take the lead”. One of the greatest assets that have helped China and India grow is its population.
So is Nigeria a truly wealthy nation? The answer is No. However, it can be so. If an average Nigerian produces half the GDP per capita of the average UK citizen, our GDP will not be $398 billion but $3.9 trillion.

The growth of businesses drives the economy, and therefore, the government must put in place suitable policies to promote business growth. We must increase our productivity as a nation. And it begins with you. Do better, work smarter and grow bigger.

This article was originally posted on my medium page. Please follow as I shed more light on the Nigerian economy and how to sell to Nigerians.

Permission to repost this on my site..

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by PHijo(m): 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2020
bestower:
Money is in Nigeria but our leaders don't want equality, they are too selfish to let Nigeria be great. Let's ask how China Turns things around for themselves with the advantage of the population.... Religion also affecting us, been brainwashed by Alfa's, pastors, etc... We can still do it. God help us.

1. China has a clear majority( 90% han Chinese)
2. Authoritarian system
3. Educated leaders
4. A workforce that was ready to work long hours

All of these have lacked in Nigeria. When Nigeria had authoritarian regimes or leaders it was all about self, religion or ethnic hegemony.

No country with Nigeria's current structure and mindset can make significant progress.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by pacespot(m): 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2020
I agree with op, Nigeria isn't that rich as many people believe. And that is down to low productivity of the citizens. With our meagre resources, we spend over 90% to employ unproductive people in civil service and other government establishments who end up using this money to patronize imported materials. Without sales of crude oil, Nigerian economy is doomed, now calculate proceeds from oil sale each day after all the expenses, like export and import, have been deducted. Nigerians need to up their level of technical skills to a level that is competitive with citizens of other countries.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by omowolewa: 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2020
Informative
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Skmoda360(m): 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:

Simple economic terms

Nigeria’s economy

How did others do it?

Other Indicators

(Verse 2)

So what do we do?

You sound like a "bad computer" with good analysis about Nigeria mismanaged system.
When I say "bad computer" you are analysing about a country that the rich always find every possibilities to frustrate the effort of hustling less privilege people in the country...I can't really type cuz I'm lazy at that .....I'm really pissed about lot of things going on in this country....... undecided there is nothing you can do about this shit bro....except God intervene and mind you God won't come down, he will definitely use one of us to deliver this nation but that day is yet unknown for now...finger crossed and au voire.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by bluefilm: 8:17pm On Jan 05, 2020
Mrpsly247:
Really insightful... This is what I have been telling Pple 4 years

What and what exactly have you been telling people for years?

As per say you be Soludo abi Alan Greenspan abi?

Nonsense. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by anonimi: 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
stigmond:
Word for thought...

Thought only?
No action?
What will then happen forever with thought only?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4160987_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by CaptainFM1: 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:
Well, there’s obviously the problem of wastage and misunderstanding economics. This should not be allowed.

Nigeria also has the problem of restricting a free market. When you control things thy are used for production you hurt the economy. There should be no stipulated by the government tariff for Discos. There should be no basic pump price. Those things should be determined by the market (demand and supply).

It stabilizes the economy in the long run. I’ll share about this soon.

Not everybody has sense like u.

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Hypocrit: 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
toprealman:
To economist in the house......is GDP an accurate measurement of the growth of a nation?
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Okoroawusa: 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
Beautiful, thoughtful, insightful and sadly truthful.
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Bmaster(m): 8:19pm On Jan 05, 2020
How i wish buhari is a nairalander! Too many comments full of wisdom

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by dashing07(m): 8:19pm On Jan 05, 2020
So with all this story now we will have steady power supply, jobs, good hospital etc in this country... me can’t wait for them to sell the country and give me us our share

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by PHijo(m): 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2020
AgamaProf:
You are wrong brother. Nigeria has potentials. But it is unfortunate we have not been able to realise and harness those potentials. To a greater extent, we are better endowed than China, or Saudi Arabia and some other emerging economies. Ask me what is wrong, why are we not at least at par with these advanced countries. Simple. Leadership!. Leadership has let everyone of us down. What has government done about millions and billions of dollars siphoned out of the country, what has government done to improve human capital, in fact we are trying in our educational sector with the little we have had, what has government done to generate revenue from other sources other than oil. When you ask these questions, you begin to get answers. Let's take count of the amount of natural resources Nigeria is endowed with. Logically, we should be better than Saudi, UAE, and competing with the likes of US, Canada and so on. We should be "giant of africa" in the real sense of it. We have resources. A lot of it. We have got the fighting spirit but corruption, and nepotism has brough us on our knees.

Who potential help?

They are talking facts and figures and you are here talking potentials!

Will your teacher give you a pass just because you have potentials?

Nigeria is extremely poor! That's a fact...what we should be talking about is solutions.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by anonimi: 8:23pm On Jan 05, 2020
PHijo:
1. China has a clear majority( 90% han Chinese)
2. Authoritarian system
3. Educated leaders
4. A workforce that was ready to work long hours

All of these have lacked in Nigeria. When Nigeria had authoritarian regimes or leaders it was all about self, religion or ethnic hegemony.

No country with Nigeria's current structure and mindset can make significant progress.

Does Europe and America have authoritarian system and are they ethnically homogenous?
Keep looking for excuses instead of getting up and doing the needful work to enlighten and develop our country.
Your eyes go soon clear when China colonises us brutally.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/294278_chinainafrica_jpgbd4ea16cc6391fffe329bb549e5ad537

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by bs81(m): 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2020
I agree with this writer's submission. my only argument or area of departure is where he wrote that we have just 12, 300 millionaires in the entire country. That's a blatant lie.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by jamace(m): 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2020
kiddapunk:
good evening sir, and what a great read you have here. As an aspiring entrepreneur i find your economic knowledge to be of massive value, so pls can i have your contact so i can get.more infos from you. i'd be really delighted.
Check the website in his write-up for his contact.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by anonimi: 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2020
dashing07:
So with all this story now we will have steady power supply, jobs, good hospital etc in this country... me can’t wait for them to sell the country and give me us our share

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3368577_whenwillyouhavesense_jpeg4b4d4f4f548e1e572ce7efac82aa72ab

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by BedLam: 8:25pm On Jan 05, 2020
Hypocrit:
Nigerians are not lazy, i always tell people this. We simply have the problem of greed which is not thesame thing as being lazy.
Physically no, mentally, mostly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by anonimi: 8:25pm On Jan 05, 2020
jamace:
Check the website in his write-up for his contact.

Mental laziness killing us all since time immemorial. sad undecided

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Rosskii: 8:27pm On Jan 05, 2020

According to Mckinsey & Co, only 2m people in Nigeria have purchasing power and annual incomes over $10,000.

I don't believe this for a minute.

Considering India have a population of OVER 1 BILLION PEOPLE, it is senseless comparing their number of billionaires with ours. Not that having billionaires means much anyway.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by dharrey2012: 8:28pm On Jan 05, 2020
This is true. We need power supply. It is really important. However, one thing is even much more important which this post is focusing on, it is our mindset.

Osun state generally have between 14 to 20hours of power supply every day and there is no single industry in the entire state, meaning they are doing nothing with the power they have.

Starboytwo:
The most important thing to do before we can move forward as a nation is to solve ELECTRICITY problem

We should demand 24 hour electricity from this people, I don't know how but we gotta do something or na like dis e go dey dey...

We need light men...

I'm a young entrepreneur and I make money daily from my business, but I spend 80% of the money on fuel every day and generator maintenance...

Fix electricity and watch our naija "gbera"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Kingrefreshed: 8:28pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:

Simple economic terms

Nigeria’s economy

How did others do it?

Other Indicators

(Verse 2)

So what do we do?

Northern Nigeria! The home of Poverty! They have been ruling Nigeria since The days of Adam but yet.... Poverty na their bread and butter.

Our God is alive!
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by BedLam: 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2020
thundafire:
I can tell u say carry a lazy person to Germany give him a job and watch him turn walkaholic
I’m not talking about giving people job. People have to create these jobs and that’s the most difficult thing.

This is why Nigerians barely create jobs even in advanced countries that you mentioned.

This is athwart compared to what Israelis, Lebanese, Indians and Chinese do abroad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by SoNature(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2020
valarmorghulis:
Nigeria is a very wealthy nation but few people among us are the ones enjoying the wealth, do u think dubai is richer? They started building their country in the eighties and they only have oil o, look at them today, now compare them to Nigeria, we don't just have oil, we have gold, uranium, so many solid minerals but....
Yea our leaders

It's either you read the piece but you didn't understand it or you don't want to drop this age-long misconception.

If you match the population of this country with her wealth, you would understand that Nigeria is nowhere near richness.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government / Naira Redesign: Old, New Notes Are Legal Tender – CBN Reveals / How Much Is CEFA Against Naira Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.