Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job (27864 Views)

Npower Permanency Move: 10 Solid Evidences & Reasons Not To Trust Sadiya Umar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:10am On Jan 06, 2020
When you’re hunting for a job, there are many instances where you might harbor a doubt. Sometimes the salary might be promising, with mouth-watering benefits. Yet, you find yourself hesitating for a while. Hunting for a job is challenging, especially if you’re currently unemployed. But knowing when to apply and when not to is an ability that will save you from unforeseen hurdles.

There are countless reasons why applying for a job might not be wise. To many out there, it could be the low salary, the contrary values of the company, or perhaps, distance to work. When you come across a listing, and you discover it won’t work, stop wasting time and move on. By not settling for less, or one that isn’t the right fit, you save yourself headaches in the future.

In this article, I am going to disclose five critical reasons you shouldn’t apply for a job. Please read on!

1. Something is off

During my job-hunting days, I came across several job listings that ended up being a scam. The fact is, you will always get a feeling when you stumble on such listings because of the numerous red flags. Most of these scam sites are usually of the notion that you can work from anywhere. When you dig further, you will discover that there is not much information regarding the manager or the company itself. In that case, don’t apply.

2. Not qualified

It is probably lame to apply for a job that requires three years of experience when you are merely a fresh graduate. Some firms might require special skills, which you might not have. In the workforce, some companies are looking to hire employees who already understand the market. Those who are ready to offer their skills! If you lack in that regard, lying in your resume will not do you any good. In that case, you should pass instead of wasting time applying for a job that might never come.

3. You hate the industry

When you come across a job listing, only to discover you hate the industry based on past experiences, then you should pass. The last thing you need is to be stuck in a job you don’t love, no matter how massive the salary. One of the ways to be productive is to love what you do, with excitement and enthusiasm. It will help if you wake up every morning excited to go to work. When that isn’t the case anymore, then something is wrong.

4. Is the job beneath you?

You don’t need to feel snobbish about this. Some jobs aren’t for you. There are jobs you might feel like they degrade your personality. It doesn’t make you a terrible person, and it merely means you understand your worth. When you come across a job listing you feel is beneath you, pass and never return. The fact is, you will find one that fits and then apply. Most individuals have settled for jobs that they are too overqualified for, only to miss a big opportunity.

5. You’re getting desperate

If you have been hunting for jobs for long, desperation will set in. It is even more glaring and intense when your funds are running low. Companies want to hire the best talent, and someone desperate might come up as a red flag. To avoid appearing desperate, get a side hustle that spills in money. When you have an alternative, you won’t be desperate to apply. Sometimes, desperation will land you in the wrong job. One of the edges of having a side hustle is that it shows you off as ambitious to potential employers, even make your resume more appealing.

Wrapping Up

When you make the right choice by not applying, you open opportunities for better job offers. Instead of wasting time on jobs that aren’t right for you, dedicate such a time to buff up your resume, or even start a side hustle while you hunt for jobs.

http://patrickokunima.com/top-5-reasons-not-to-apply-for-a-job/

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:11am On Jan 06, 2020
Do you know any other reason not to apply for a job? Kindly join the discussion.
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Amanee(f): 10:03am On Jan 06, 2020
The listed points are even the reasons why a lot of people apply for jobs. This is Nigeria and the economic reality on ground is scary. I won't advice anyone to sit at home jobless and with no business that is flourishing. Because it's one thing to say you're doing business and it's another for it to be earning you some bucks.

It's better you keep applying to better your chances and with the experience you get, you can improve your CV. Just don't sit down waiting for the right job offers to come, they are always few and highly competitive

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:28am On Jan 06, 2020
Amanee:
The listed points are even the reasons why a lot of people apply for jobs. This is Nigeria and the economic reality on ground is scary. I won't advice anyone to sit at home jobless and with no business that is flourishing. Because it's one thing to say you're doing business and it's another for it to be earning you some bucks.

It's better you keep applying to better your chances and with the experience you get, you can improve your CV. Just don't sit down waiting for the right job offers to come, they are always few and highly competitive
Thanks for your input.
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 06, 2020
With all the gigantic amount of resource 9ja get, her citizens no suppose dey work during the day. That sun no be here.

Here we are, 25million jobless youths. Na social media everybody dey work now.

23 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by TechCapon(m): 4:45pm On Jan 06, 2020
Add number 6
YOU DON'T HAVE CONNECTION

Rivers state university has concluded it's recent recruitment exercise.

You should see the people that got the job grin

If you see thick black smoke in ust old site last December just know that it's the job application that people submitted that was being burnt. Kpele o cheesy

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by mendii(m): 4:46pm On Jan 06, 2020
Hustle oo make fustration no make yhu dae justify why yhu no get work

Las las hunger never finish yhu na why

5 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by jidxin(m): 4:46pm On Jan 06, 2020
Something happened today, out of my leisure time i was playing PUBG so i met a guy and the first thing he asked me was if i love America but i replied that i am indifferent, he told me he is an Iranian and American are terrorist,. i asked him if he knows Nigeria he replied in the affirmative. he also said Nigerian are their brothers. hehehehe my mind was that shey dis guy no wan indoctrinate me or enlist me to join their charade

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by ariesbull: 4:47pm On Jan 06, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
Do you know any other reason not to apply for a job? Kindly join the discussion.
What a sad way to start the first working day in 2020. I posted vacancies for Amandaz Kitchen and I received a lot of application.

I asked a few to come for face to face interview. This young Lady name Esther applied was asked to come for Interview this morning. She called and I sent her the address of the restaurant. She came but I was not around but she met other Staff.

A Client brought money for me but the Manager collected and confirmed the money in Esther's presence and kept the money in the Kitchen where Esther was assisting to cut Ugu.

Unknowingly to everyone, Esther took the money and disappeared.

I tried reaching her, she blocked me on whatsapp and barred my line. She also changed her profile Pic on whatsapp but I have already screen grab it.

Kindly share the post until she sees it and return the money.

Attached is her picture, whatsapp and SMS communication.

She claims she stays at Ojota and her number is 08038227952

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by digital5: 4:48pm On Jan 06, 2020
Been a Nigerian

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by ridwan006(m): 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
Guy job hunting na real hustling, don't be selective, apply everywhere plus the scam job vacancies, one day you will nail it at exact spot

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Thefxchanger: 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
Applying for jobs could be so frustrating especially for people who studied some courses that are irrelevant in Nigeria...

I actually wasted a year after NYSC applying for jobs while working as a street marketer for a company in lagos with my BSc biochemistry...

I even furthered to MSc level hoping it will be better getting a job as a biochemist with MSc...

I later made the decision that paid off...

1. started my music studio which led me to offering my music production skills on fiverr and earning in US dollars.

2. having earn dollars, the challenge to change it to naira pushed me to start changing USD to naira for myself and other fiverr freelancers...

Become your own boss isnt as easy as they say but its achievable...

I started thefxchanger (www.thefxchanger.com) 5 years ago as a currency exchange platform to assist freelancers and bloggers convert their foreign currency earnings to naira but now we handle importation logistics and offshore payments

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by RapistOnBail: 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
Even the internet self wen dem say money dey, I never know how.

4 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Humphrizy(m): 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
Being self employed is the safest and best way to survive in dx life....As an engineer.. That's my own believe thoo

Kindly call or whatsapp 0"8"0"9215"19"59 if you need Pure Original Unadulterated Honey.. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by SaintHilary(m): 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2020

People still apply for jobs in a country where jobs are gotten through referalls?

5 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by sammirano: 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
Op just contradicting himself
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by wwwtortoise(m): 4:50pm On Jan 06, 2020
If a paid job doesn't click think business.

Wholesalers and retailers needed.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by mendii(m): 4:50pm On Jan 06, 2020
ariesbull:
What a sad way to start the first working day in 2020. I posted vacancies for Amandaz Kitchen and I received a lot of application.

I asked a few to come for face to face interview. This young Lady name Esther applied was asked to come for Interview this morning. She called and I sent her the address of the restaurant. She came but I was not around but she met other Staff.

A Client brought money for me but the Manager collected and confirmed the money in Esther's presence and kept the money in the Kitchen where Esther was assisting to cut Ugu.

I tried reaching her, she blocked me on whatsapp and barred my line. She also changed her profile Pic on whatsapp but I have already screen grab it.

why will yhu even give someone yhu barely knw money
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Lotel: 4:50pm On Jan 06, 2020
Las las all dis job stuffs na scam.. Get ur own job and employ yourself..

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by adonismuller(m): 4:51pm On Jan 06, 2020
I
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Appswheel(m): 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2020
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Wittymalley(m): 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2020
Topic should be reviewed to "Top 5 reasons you shouldn't apply for that job"

Op take note.
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by ScottDM1: 4:53pm On Jan 06, 2020
grin grin
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by TechCapon(m): 4:53pm On Jan 06, 2020
ariesbull:

where's the picture
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by mofedamijo(m): 4:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
mendii:

Read again, but slowly this time.

7 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
Well, I've don't that, now riding solo. Being self employed ain't easy but with determination, you'll get there.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Bigval5: 4:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
Keep pushing!

One day!

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Skillsnigeria: 4:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
That's nice
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by olioxx(m): 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2020
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2020
mendii:
She was cutting ugu in the kitchen and moved the money codedly. Who cuts ugu on their first day lipsrsealed undecided

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by profilemessages: 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2020
you haven't been wired by hunger before?
I pray hunger doesn't catch you, then you will know the value of A HALF BREAD!!!
Re: Top 5 Reasons Not To Apply For A Job by nairalee(m): 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2020
Only one reason not to apply for a job: YOU DON CHOP BELLEFULL

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Sister Might Have Been Brainwashed By GNLD / Recruitment Into The Nigerian Army 2020 Begins. How To Apply / Mactay CBT Invite For Globacom CCR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.