Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,295 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) (18028 Views)

No Jobs, Or Most Are Unemployable? See This Job / Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? / Who Said Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:15pm On Aug 28, 2023
I was asked to recruit a suitable candidate for a vacant position in my organization with an attractive salary. The position is more of a team leader so it requires lot of experiences and optimal professionalism.

I created Indeed Employer’s Account for my organization where I posted the job vacancy. To my optimum surprise about 590 candidates applied for the job already.

Be reminded that the vacant position is just for one person. I was confused and disturbed simultaneously. I was disturbed because of the high rate of unemployment in the country and I was confused because of the unexpected numbers of candidates that applied for the vacant position.

Listed below are some of my conclusions why some people are unemployable.

1. Many don’t have good Resumes:
About 300 candidates who applied for the jobs do not have a good resume that really define them. I also realized that many copied their resumes online or someone edited it on their behalf.

2. Some candidates lack good character:
After checking those with good resumes, I decided to contact them via phone call and I was disappointed with the way some of them responded to the phone call especially ladies. Some were asking me how I got their contacts. Some were so rude at the beginning of the conversation. Some didn’t pick up nor return the call. Some couldn’t respond to simple “good morning Miss. …, how are you today?” It was so pathetic.

3. Some didn’t recall that they applied for the job:
When I asked some candidates who responded very well via phone call if they really apply for the said vacancy, some of them didn’t even remember. They had to use “scope” for me which I caught them red handed.

4. Some didn’t remember what they wrote on their resumes:
I asked some of the candidates to tell me some of their work experiences with date as written on their resumes but some were saying different things entirely. Some said things not written in their resumes while some couldn’t say them correctly with date.

5. Some Candidates were nervous:
I gathered that some candidates do have reasonable things to say but they were so nervous that they started saying something else.

In conclusion, dear candidates, kindly work on your resumes and build your character. Even if you secure a job with your good resume, good character is one of the crucial things that will keep you in the job. In fact, many secured good jobs with good character without submitting their resumes.

Best regards from Mr. Odewale Adesoye (A. K. A. Green Man)

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by shortgun(m): 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2023
You called 590 people who applied for the job in your organisation on phone one after the other to find out all these?

You must be a superhuman or you are telling us a super story

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:27pm On Aug 28, 2023
shortgun:

You called 590 people who applied for the job in your organisation on phone one after the other to find out all these?

No, I didn't call 590 candidates.
Just few were contacted after considering some things.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by illicit(m): 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2023
When I was unemployed I apply for at least 5 jobs in a week sometimes with different CVs as the job opportunity may require

So I can forget about one or two or mix them up

We are not computers

Best thing a good HR should do is just to mail me for a virtual or physical interview.... That's all

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Wawelexy(m): 6:39pm On Aug 28, 2023
shortgun:

Exactly my thoughts.....

OP, how much are you willing to pay with all this your flimsy excuses

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by muyico(m): 6:50pm On Aug 28, 2023
Ladies ?
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Manofsteel2013(m): 6:52pm On Aug 28, 2023
Na so oo
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by tydi(m): 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2023
Mr Green man 🍏. What job is that you offering.
You haven't called me yet. I assure you to respond and act well. Na me go first greet you self ask you how you're doing

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by P1PrinceKT(m): 8:16pm On Aug 28, 2023
You re a good 👍 man for trying to set bad characters on track though they didn't pay for it.

1 Like

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by NairalandGossip: 8:58pm On Aug 28, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:
[font=Georgia][/font]
Good write up but please next time, encourage people to embark more on entrepreneurship. Job don cast. Job that only 30 people are needed, you will have over 3000 applicants. No be juju be that?

19 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by olatuneji: 9:23pm On Aug 28, 2023
Thanks for sharing,
I learnt something from this.

5 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by DeleyeDavid(m): 9:48pm On Aug 28, 2023
Not everything is Village people, you went in for an interview and didn't get called up. Chances are that the guy called for the job impressed the interviewer more than you did. You could be that guy with INTERVIEW 101.

INTERVIEW 101 got you covered. Get insured on all your prospective interviews. Buy at:

https://shop.creathor.africa/p/z14nswm5hoelw7l

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by DataAlchemist: 11:42pm On Aug 28, 2023
shortgun:

Go back and read well, more than half of the candidates got screened out because of bad resume, so he probably contacted the ones who met the criteria.

24 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Jackson619007: 12:02pm On Aug 29, 2023
Thank you for providing the information. Your written explanations are commendable; yet, they do not align with the subject matter displayed in our country.

The user's text is already academic in nature. Please feel free to reach out to me for assistance with your academic tasks and programming inquiries. You can find my WhatsApp contact information in the signature below.👇

2 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Khafsun: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
Is. That so
Odewaleadesoye:
2. Some candidates lack good character:
After checking those with good resumes, I decided to contact them via phone call and I was disappointed with the way some of them responded to the phone call especially ladies. Some were asking me how I got their contacts. Some were so rude at the beginning of the conversation. Some didn’t pick up nor return the call. Some couldn’t respond to simple “good morning Miss. …, how are you today?” It was so pathetic.[font=Georgia][/font]

You're the one who is unprofessional not the candidates. Once you give a call, you immediately introduce yourself and why you're calling before they utter a word. "Good morning. My name is Femi. I'm calling regarding an application you made to...... for the position of..... Is this....?"

Not "Hello, how are you?" it's within their right to be cautious to someone whom they can't ascertain is on the line. You could be a scammer trying to steal some of their details. In fact, in this day an age, with AI, some scammers require just a sample of your voice and they will be able to authorise and meander through major security checks. So because of your unprofessional ways and 80k job. They should always lose guard.

The point about them not remembering they applied to your work means you're not aware of the realities of hiring. So you expect them to make only one application once per month for a company that might not even acknowledge your application or make them in hundreds per day. It's clear you don't know it's both a game of numbers for the recruiter and the applicant.

In a normal professional setting, you're meant to email these candidates, informing them of suitable dates or time for a phone call. Not just call whenever and be say they didn't pick up.

It's clear that because you were retained after NYSC, you have no idea how recruiting and job applications work. Arrogance and ignorance.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by AllBlack: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
Horrible Attitude & get rich quick mentality. Some only came to the interview because their mom told them to GET A JOB instead of lurking around the streets and doing drugs & stuff. Once you see them, you immediately know that employing such a person would be regrettable
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Reality3080: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
As a Nigerian hustler if u don’t want all these useless motivational speakers to use u shine abeg find one small biz to do or betterstill if u have back up just learn a skill n u are good to go

12 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Hollyharjii: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
May God open a better job for all of us looking for job placements, life ain't a bed of rose, I can tell you

7 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Think9ja(m): 12:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
Stories for the gods..

If you don't add a bit of lie in your resume, nobody will call you. Recruiters are looking for only two things in a resume; Experience and Achievements.
If you lack in any of these, you need extra grace. It's not by using figma designs on your resume...

About the phone call, I honestly wouldn't like a recruiter to contact me through a phone call, anybody can just call anybody. Reason why banks will always tell you not to attend to phone calls about your account. That's why there's an email. Even the email is not a personal email, it has to be company email

Also, are you the only recruiter offering that same kind of service in Nigeria? I've lost count on the number of jobs and the company names I applied last week. If a recruiter calls me and start asking me random questions I will fall because I don't know the particular one I am being asked about because I didn't use one resume for all

Finally, the biggest scam in Nigeria is the issue of character. Character is good, but it's not a big factor. That was how they said a degree is in character and learning, yet, some lecturers don't even know the faces of their students. Infact, some first class students are cultists. Are they first class in character too?

Na only God go help us for this limited job market

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Whitecoal711: 12:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
Oga no reason,the only reason are the country doesn't encourage industrialization,
Just know somebody or bribe ur way in or both the job is yours
Nepotism,all government jobs,nnpc,defence,naval ,army police custom ,efcc,icpc just to name a few,are does occupying them worthy,oga leave matter for mathias,just hold ur money and know somebody
Even the senators ask to investigate some companies are now collecting bribe from the companies they are ask to probe on this issue

2 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Ayobeck(m): 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jargons..I don't believe dis trash...we r all human u nobody can not fall to what ur point fit out

5 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Brendaniel: 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2023
Funny thing if those 590 people travel abroad all of them might find work easily even with all these things you wrote involved....

6 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by chatinent: 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2023
We can help you with a good resume and cover letter, in case. ♥️

10% discount applies to first 50 messages I receive.
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by BigBlackPreek(m): 12:06pm On Aug 29, 2023
God help us in this country oh

e no supposed hard like that nau

1 Like

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by safarilove(m): 12:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
I concur with the list but how many job, i mean which real job dey this country?
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by ednut1(m): 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
Number 3 is so wrong .Is it only your company they would apply to So they are supposed to cram over 100 company names

Every one in our parents generation be it bsc, ond, ssce, fslc were employable. Lack of jobs today is the main reason .

4 Likes

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by gift2xl: 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
5 to 10yrs working experience. For person wa never work before.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by sofeo(m): 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
Majorly, cos of their mentality & personality.
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Dexy4yah(m): 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by gladdensir(m): 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
tydi:
Mr Green man 🍏. What job is that you offering.
You haven't called me yet. I assure you to respond and act well. Na me go first greet you self ask you how you're doing

😄😄😄
I wan start plantation of weeds for my backyard, if you get interest let me know.

1 Like

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Ppn247: 12:09pm On Aug 29, 2023
It's in their DNA. Not everyone wants to be an employee

1 Like

Re: Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) by Nahunger(m): 12:09pm On Aug 29, 2023
OGA, every body deserve to eat food biko.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Graduate What Position Can I Apply For INEC / Vacancies At Covenant University Construction Agency / #TheNpowerChallenge, Tell Us If You Knew Anyone Before You Were Pre-selected.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.