Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,047 members, 7,810,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? (9240 Views)

Boko Haram Dumping Pits Discovered By Army During Clearance Operation - Graphic / Man Beaten By Army Cadets For Complimenting A Female Cadet Recounts His Ordeal / Photo Of Fela In Bandages After Severe Beating By Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sage(m): 11:59pm On Dec 03, 2010
Nawa o
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by almoner(m): 1:09am On Dec 04, 2010
strangest:

OLD NEWS, HAPPENED DURING THE TIME OF OBASANJO

Why is it then talked about?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Obijulius: 2:21am On Dec 04, 2010
Mr. President is exhibiting the usual xtics of the average Niger Delta(south-south) politician/militant/person/other aliases:

1. He is unpatriotic to his pple ( more like Saro Wiwa, Clark, Odili, Ibori)

2. He is grossly corrupt (more like Ibori, Alamesiagha, Sylvia:d bayelsa gov)

3. He is hopelessly ambitious & grossly misguided (more like Okah, Asari, Tompolo)

4. He is clueless, busy doing nothing (more like Amaechi, Ugwuoha:d NDDC MD)

5. I'm sure he drinks & washes his face with kaikai every morning (or how would i explain his fiddling around Facebook)

Niger delta pple re just a victim of their own failings.

Pity the 150+ though.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by aljharem(m): 2:51am On Dec 04, 2010
Obijulius:

Mr. President is exhibiting the usual xtics of the average Niger Delta(south-south) politician/militant/person/other aliases:

1. He is unpatriotic to his pple ( more like Saro Wiwa, Clark, Odili, Ibori)

2. He is grossly corrupt (more like Ibori, Alamesiagha, Sylvia:d bayelsa gov)

3. He is hopelessly ambitious & grossly misguided (more like Okah, Asari, Tompolo)

4. He is clueless, busy doing nothing (more like Amaechi, Ugwuoha:d NDDC MD)

5. I'm sure he drinks & washes his face with kaikai every morning (or how would i explain his fiddling around Facebook)

Niger delta pple re just a victim of their own failings.

Pity the 150+ though.

gbam is jonathan serious at all angry angry angry
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mariory(m): 3:36am On Dec 04, 2010

"Some 32 villagers fled Ayakoromo out of panic when our soldiers approached the community and we are trying to take them back," Colonel Timothy Antigha, spokesman for the joint task force carrying out the raids, told AFP.

He said the military had provided a bus to return the villagers to Ayakoromo, which is located in the area where the military said it had raided camps belonging to wanted militant leader John Togo.

"The villagers have nothing to fear because the military are not after them. The people we are trying to dislodge are the criminals terrorising the region," he said.

The villagers had taken refuge in the oil city of Warri.

A man claiming to be a former local government official, Yerin Ekpedibo, told AFP by telephone that innocent civilians had been killed in the raids, but the military strongly disputed the claim.

"The military killed 37 civilians and wounded several others under the pretence of searching for Togo , More than 800 houses were destroyed," Ekpedibo said.

Death tolls varied widely, with a militant group believed run by Togo claiming more than 100 dead. Antigha, who declined to give details on how the raids were carried out, said no innocent civilian was killed.

"Those claiming that innocent people were killed should come and show us their corpses," he said.

In a statement late Friday, Antigha acknowledged that buildings near the alleged criminal camps were caught up in the raids. He said civilians who fled were being assisted by the joint task force, known as JTF.

"Only the identified camps were targeted," the statement said.

"However, the adjourning buildings became part of (the task force's) target when fleeing criminals took over the buildings, made them defensive positions and fired at JTF troops ,

"This accounts for the damaged buildings that can be seen in the area adjourning the destroyed militant camps."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101203/wl_africa_afp/nigeriaoilunrestvillagers;_ylt=AgS5399sXEMhzUirwD8t4em96Q8F;_ylu=X3oDMTMwN2RsY2M0BGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDEwMTIwMy9uaWdlcmlhb2lsdW5yZXN0dmlsbGFnZXJzBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9wYWdpbmF0ZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA3ZpbGxhZ2Vyc2ZsZQ--
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 4:17am On Dec 04, 2010
Nigerian Amy indeed! If na for libaria nw, 17yr old boy wey carry cutlass go cut of the arm of a nigerian soldier way carry AK47. They come back so disjointed with one leg or arm bt just send dis same army to nigerian villages, they start doing rambo or commando film 4der IDIOTS. What is professional abt dis guys? No intelligence at all, give dem a simple task and they will bomb everywhere. Y nt bomb d entire delta state so as to pick up one guy called john togo. D entire hirachy of Joint fools named JTF +d1 dat gave dem dis task are all DUMB & DAFT. Dis approach has nvr worked & will nvr work. Goverment shld give amnesty to themselves so that all of them politicians shld give up all d militants in their possesions whom they ve all been using to terrorise and maim der percived opponents, until dat is done we are waisting our time here. All d south east & south south governors ve their personal militants on their pay roll & GJE has taken their leaders to ABJ for his own personal use, so is fooling who. If u a thug for goverment u r a good militant & if u become aggrived u are lebeld a bad militant & JOINT FOOLS AKA JTF will be sent to go and bomb ur village & create d impression dat dey flushing militants out. The guys heading NDDC & NIGER DELTA MINISTRY are known godfathers of militants which GEJ knws too. Its a knwn fact in d streets of P.H. Lets continue to fool ourslvs & c were dis will eventually lead us to.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Jonwesley(m): 4:38am On Dec 04, 2010
Sad that innocent lives are lost, but the army operation was caused by John Togo, so its John Togo dat is killing his people. He called himself a repentant militant, signed amnesty with the FG and decided to renege becos he was not satisfied with what was being paid him, not equal to the other Generals as i heard. To me it's unjustified and shd ve towed the path of dialogue thru the governors under which he surrendered to the amnesty programme. By his action is he not calling other unsatisfied militants to join him? and u expect dat the FG wld just watch him? John Togo is not God. Rubbish.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by princekevo(m): 5:28am On Dec 04, 2010
A snake will never give birth to anything that is straight. What is the different between what OBJ did at odi village and what Jonathan is doing to his own people. ObJ had to wipe out the whole village in order to keep the oil pumping from backyard to Abuja. Jonathan his political son has taking the same approach. Why would Jonathan order such an attack to his own people,knowing that what we have in the military are zombies. Tell me any other place in world that its military will kill 150 innocent civilians in chase of a single soul. Not that the villagers resisted the chase of the so called John Togo.

May their gentle soul rest in peace. GEJ can order for more massacre in ND, becoz he is so desperate to become the president in 2011 as such don't need any distraction from his people. This is an act of a man who knows that the vote of ND is irrelevant to him.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Obijulius: 5:56am On Dec 04, 2010
Nigeria get ARMY abi

The same persons that av been slaughtered like chickens in sudan, liberia, sierra leone, etc wen dey return here dem go dey claim village champion.

if nigeria were iraq we would av broken uo into 6 regions by now, no little thanks to our belicose army!!!!

sighhhhsssss
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 6:27am On Dec 04, 2010
Jonwesley:

Sad that innocent lives are lost, but the army operation was caused by John Togo, so its John Togo dat is killing his people. He called himself a repentant militant, signed amnesty with the FG and decided to renege becos he was not satisfied with what was being paid him, not equal to the other Generals as i heard. To me it's unjustified and shd ve towed the path of dialogue thru the governors under which he surrendered to the amnesty programme. By his action is he not calling other unsatisfied militants to join him? and u expect dat the FG wld just watch him? John Togo is not God. Rubbish.

John Togo is a known armed robber who was never in the same category as some who genuinely fought oppression, that is why folk from 3 villages reported his exact location to the JTF. But our demented army would kill a mosquito with bombs and ra'pe those who have malaria.
I am repeating it for the ears of those who haven't heard, John Togo is an armed robber.

The whole country is rotten and sick. We need new ways of doing things, the barbaric laws passed down from our barbaric military regime past need to be dumped. We must do away with the land use decree, the petroleum act and institute true federalism. We need a revolution.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by JaaizTech: 7:24am On Dec 04, 2010
WAIT FOR IT, Someone will suddenly come up with a theory about how the North is responsible for all this. I thought there were no militants again I thought all that MEND bombing is a facade May God save Nigeria
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 7:31am On Dec 04, 2010
JaaizTech:

WAIT FOR IT, Someone will suddenly come up with a theory about how the North is responsible for all this. I thought there were no militants again I thought all that MEND bombing is a facade May God save Nigeria

Only ignorance causes foolish posts like this.
John Togo does not even claim to be in MEND and nowhere has it been written that he is in MEND. . . You see the depth of your ignorance? Spooky!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Eretare(m): 9:07am On Dec 04, 2010
Why are they even called militants? In all the years of their so called struggle can they point to something positive that is a direct result of their actions? I just feel sorry for the villagers. If militants come near my village, i will move to another one at least 20 miles from the place.
The army will most probably say they were aiding and abetting the militants and honestly they won't be wrong.
As a person from the Niger Delta, these so called militants have caused more harm than good.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by snakova(m): 11:19am On Dec 04, 2010
Beaf:

Only ignorance causes foolish posts like this.
John Togo does not even claim to be in MEND and nowhere has it been written that he is in MEND. . . You see the depth of your ignorance? Spooky!
It appears you never read the whole article. Who is the government after? Not the same militants that kidnapped some expatriates some days back abi? IDIOTO
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by ubekhalid(m): 11:22am On Dec 04, 2010
god damn the military and the tactless commander-in-chief that sent them!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 11:23am On Dec 04, 2010
snakova:

It appears you never read the whole article. Who is the government after? Not the same militants that kidnapped some expatriates some days back abi? IDIOTO

No matter how much your cow brain wishes John Togo to be in MEND, he isn't and he makes that pretty plain. Olodo, beer palour priest! grin
John Togo is a bloody armed robber as everybody in Warri knows.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by otokx(m): 11:31am On Dec 04, 2010
I just saw this on aljazeera; GEJ is going about it the wrong way.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mingler: 11:53am On Dec 04, 2010
Visit www.professionalsinnigeria.com to search and meet professionals from all over Nigeria.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mingler: 11:55am On Dec 04, 2010
Visit www.professionalsinnigeria.com to search and meet professionals from all over Nigeria.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by JUO(m): 1:42pm On Dec 04, 2010
God will see ur through
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by nduchucks: 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2010
Beaf:

We must do away with the land use decree, the petroleum act and institute true federalism.

Has any of your representatives in the NASS introduced any bill to this end? Has your uncle GEJ pushed for legislation to this end? Your real representatives who are thugs and thieves like MEND and the Togos of this world are not doing you people any good.

Your freedom fighters seem to be fighting for their own pockets and the destruction of your people. What a pity!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by aljharem(m): 2:26pm On Dec 04, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Has any of your representatives in the NASS introduced any bill to this end? Has your uncle GEJ pushed for legislation to this end? Your real representatives who are thugs and thieves like MEND and the Togos of this world are not doing you people any good.

Y[b]our freedom fighters seem to be fighting for their own pockets and the destruction of your people. What a pity!
[/b]

gbammmmmm

i keep telling beaf or beef that until he stops this jonathan is my father thing and face reality

this so called freedom fighters are putting peoples lives at risk i mean serious risk

very soon this so called freedom fighters would extend their boundaries to neighbouring cities and then the war starts

beef mumu they are killing ur people and u are here tell us how john togo a war lord is an armed robber
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 3:06pm On Dec 04, 2010
Don't trivialise this issue - look at it another way. There was a bomb in Abuja on October 1st, the bombers are in Abuja why did the army not bomb parts of Abuja. Alternatively, why did they not bomb Bauchi or Borno in their search for boko haram?

The army have disgraced themselves and the nation with an absence of professionalism.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by nduchucks: 3:32pm On Dec 04, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Don't trivialise this issue - look at it another way. There was a bomb in Abuja on October 1st, the bombers are in Abuja why did the army not bomb parts of Abuja. Alternatively, why did they not bomb Bauchi or Borno in their search for boko haram?

The army have disgraced themselves and the nation with an absence of professionalism.

Are the Abuja bombers not the same so-called freedom fighters of ND? Are the Okah brothers from Bauchi or Borno? These thugs have their roots in the ND region and the roots must be uprooted from the same region. The Army is doing a fine job given the circumstances - don't buy the propaganda by your "freedom fighting" thugs and criminals. May the souls of the dead rest in peace.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by otokx(m): 3:59pm On Dec 04, 2010
If this is true then GEJ has some explanation to do.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 4:07pm On Dec 04, 2010
Who auhtorised the millitary strike in the first place must be held responsible, expecially with the terrible history of the nigerians army. this sort of operation was not required. The level of force used was totally disproportionate.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 4:15pm On Dec 04, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Are the Abuja bombers not the same so-called freedom fighters of ND?  Are the Okah brothers from Bauchi or Borno? These thugs have their roots in the ND region and the roots must be uprooted from the same region.  The Army is doing a fine job given the circumstances - don't buy the propaganda by your "freedom fighting" thugs and criminals.  May the souls of the dead rest in peace.

Those poor people who were bombed, set ablaze and murdered  did not support John Togo, in fact they are dual victims of criminiality - that of Togo and JTF.

A nation should protect its citizens (I know this is an alien concept to you), not murder them - but should we really expect anymore from elites who willingly surrendered Bakassi without a whimper?

How can you offer sympathies in one breath then in the next sentence lionise soldiers who pump unarmed women and children full of bullets?

ndu_chucks look -By the way  there are two more 'criminals' pointing out environmental damage in Niger Delta. Go and call JTF to bomb their communities.

Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Tsiya(m): 4:42pm On Dec 04, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Those poor people who were bombed, set ablaze and murdered  did not support John Togo, in fact they are dual victims of criminiality - that of Togo and JTF.

A nation should protect its citizens (I know this is an alien concept to you), not murder them - but should we really expect anymore from elites who willingly surrendered Bakassi without a whimper?

How can you offer sympathies in one breath then in the next sentence lionise soldiers who pump unarmed women and children full of bullets?

ndu_chucks look -By the way  there are two more 'criminals' pointing out environmental damage in Niger Delta. Go and call JTF to bomb their communities.

In Nigeria, there is little concern about the ordinary citizen. Killing 150 villagers doesn't mean anything to a large percentage of Nigerian.

Nigerians lack empathy otherwise how can the Nigerian army bomb a village? This is not the first time and it won't be the last the government will use army that are meant to protect the nation to kill innocent civilians.

As far as Nigerians are concerned, if it is not my village, then I don't care. If it is not my tribe/ethnic group, then serves them right.

The worrying aspect is that because the President of Niger Delta, the cyber rebels and war lords that used to attack the previous gov't are quite about this.

What is wrong is always wrong no matter who is the president and no matter who are the victims.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by idupaul: 5:00pm On Dec 04, 2010
John Togo must die. The Army had warned them to leave to avoid collateral damage. Besides there is no evidence 150 people died .
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by nduchucks: 5:23pm On Dec 04, 2010
SapeleGuy:

ndu_chucks look -By the way there are two more 'criminals' pointing out environmental damage in Niger Delta. Go and call JTF to bomb their communities.

99.999% of Nigerians are actually in support of cause of the ND people. Addressing the environmental damage of the area is only fair and supported by most Nigerians.

The mistake that you people continue to make is to lump the causes of criminals like MEND and the Togos of Nigeria with those of the ND people. These criminals should be expunged from the area by force. If any “war crimes” can be proved on the part of any JTF member, the perpetrators should be court marshaled. It is not enough to recite negative propaganda about the JTF and the fine Nigerian army, and claim that r.apes, or any other crime took place without proof .
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Faeb: 5:30pm On Dec 04, 2010
^
Where have you seen anyone argue that John Togo is anything but a criminal? I'm sure you also read that the people who were bombed gave the precise location of his camp to JTF.
I believe your'e just trying to murk up the situation and throw in confusion.

Nobody supports John Togo, so please rewind and reset.

The Nigerian army has always been indisciplined, we need to stop using them to chase after criminals. Afterall, there is a Police force service.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2010
ndu_chucks:

99.999% of Nigerians are actually in support of cause of the ND people. Addressing the environmental damage of the area is only fair and supported by most Nigerians.

The mistake that you people continue to make is to lump the causes of criminals like MEND and the Togos of Nigeria with those of the ND people. These criminals should be expunged from the area by force. If any “war crimes” can be proved on the part of any JTF member, the perpetrators should be court marshaled. It is not enough to recite negative propaganda about the JTF and the fine Nigerian army, and claim that r.apes, or any other crime took place without proof .

What do you mean by you people? Do you mean the people that are being killed for the resources on their land or Nigerians in general.
How can any evidence of war crime be proved when nobody can get into the area whilst the area is 'cleaned up' by JTF. Was evidence not collected during the Boko Haram  episodes, what happened to those who killed Yusuf?

You are paying lip service to supporting Niger Delta, you have long advocated for Africom to come and level the area, so find another buyer for your 'snake oil' remedies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Summons Turkish Ambassador Over Detention Of Nigerian Students / What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi / Nigerians Decry Rising Price Of Food Items

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.