Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,479 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion (61306 Views)

My Gas Cylinder Was Stolen Tonight / Couple Died In Explosion In Abule Ado, Lagos (Photos) / Don't Shake A Gas Cylinder To Know The Level Of Its Content. Its Dangerous(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by manchyme: 3:55am On Jun 24, 2021
Hoodbilonia:
Story. Buy 12.5kg cylinder,put it outside and use a hose hose connect it from outside to burner or gas stove inside. Simple

Some of us dey stay upstairs

2 Likes

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by jonnypie(m): 5:51am On Jun 24, 2021
This is one step, but I feel if there was a device that can detect leakages in cylinders or a device that do a round check of the durability or how bad or good a cylinder is I think it will also be another step forward. I hope there is a device like that or I will invent one or somebody reading this can do the same...

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by ITbomb(m): 5:55am On Jun 24, 2021
Newer cylinders are useless
My cylinder is 10 years old and still rust free.

The new one I bought gathered rust after 2 years

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by HabaHaba: 6:06am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:
So are you saying we are going to be buy like 4 cylinder in a year, 1 per quarter?

Dumb question!

Please learn to read to comprehend not to make Stewpid comments!

Thats why Buhari is using some Nigerians head about!!!
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Chochovini: 6:23am On Jun 24, 2021
afadi2410:
Gas cylinders do not expire,please disregard this write up.Most of us live in ignorance.
. I don‘t believe that thing do expire so easily as the OP did mentioned. Some of the early commentators claimed to have used thiers for 15 yrs others 20 and nothing happened not even a leakage. Hence, this so called info might just be misleading.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by smallsmall: 6:28am On Jun 24, 2021
You will think such an important Code will be engraved on a Cylinder and stiff penalty for anyone who tries to tamper with it?
But this is Nigeria, anything goes!
IPOB should stop calling it a Jungle, it is CHAOS
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by mrkia(m): 6:30am On Jun 24, 2021
dairykidd:

That's the only thing i saw oo under the SON logo. Mine FA05030
E tire me oo!!!
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Jonah507(m): 7:03am On Jun 24, 2021
Why would cylinder manufacturers not take their time to clearly write such an important information in full ?
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Revolva(m): 7:03am On Jun 24, 2021
i hate gas cylinder.....abeg i de use my kerosene stove which is safer and still better.....as hot plate is too consuming electricity when using a prepaid meter
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by fapcrook(m): 7:23am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:
So are you saying we are going to be buy like 4 cylinder in a year, 1 per quarter?
Did you go to the pub last night ?
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:

No, rather he's saying you should buy a new one and replace the old cylinder every 5 years.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by zedman1(m): 7:46am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:
I only make such statements when I'm high. Were you high? No vex, it's just a question. I want to find out something.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 24, 2021
@OP, you may not be entirely correct.
All pressurised cylinders have a shelf life of 20 to 25 years, depending on the materials used in fabricating it.

What is done every 5 years is hydrostatic test and valve/regulator/hose changeout.

During hydrostatic test, the cylinder is internally pressurised in a safe chamber to 150% of it's pressure capacity, and left in that state for about 1 hour. For example, a 300bar cylinder will be pressurised to 450bar, and the cylinder MUST hold for up to 1 hour to pass.

Also, leak test is done when the valve/regulator/hose are replaced, where the maximum pressure capacity is not expected to lose more than 10bar in 60secs to pass.

Trust these additional information would help.

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Chochovini: 7:59am On Jun 24, 2021
GeneralPula:
Una wan dey scare people so they can be changing cylinder frequently..

I suspect cylinders companies at work here..

Nah lie OP dey lie my people..

You can use a cylinder for 30 years or more self. Just don’t have a bad cylinder and don’t always leave it on bare floor..

The steel that’s being used to made a cylinder gas is one of the most strongest steel in the world..
. I thought as much.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Abiboss: 8:04am On Jun 24, 2021
Very helpful �
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Chochovini: 8:20am On Jun 24, 2021
dairykidd:

That's the only thing i saw oo under the SON logo. Mine FA05030
. Will expire by May 2030 GBAM! Wetin I know?
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Chochovini: 8:25am On Jun 24, 2021
[quote author=Eaglesence post=103025237][/quote]. Hahahahaha funny @ Death Date.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Psoul(m): 8:40am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:

Where did u see this from the post?
This is a very simple information with clear explanation and you still find it hard to understand.
How will you then understand mathematics or logic.

Did you read the 2nd paragraph?
According to a State Coordinator, Standard Organisation of Nigeria [SON], “If a cylinder of 12kg explodes, it is capable of bringing down a two storey building. Cooking gas cylinders must not exceed five (5) years.” According to the SON Director, most people using gas cylinders hardly remember when it was bought. Once you discover that your gas cylinder has expired, stop using it in order to avoid explosion.

His explanation says that if for example, you see B 20, it means that the cylinder has stayed up to 5yrs as at June 2020 and that means it is an expired cylinder.

If it shows C 22. That means that the cylinder will be 5years old in September 2022. So at that point it will be risky to use it cos it will mean using an expired cylinder that is capable to explode at any time.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by fredie107(m): 8:42am On Jun 24, 2021
Drone95:
My gas cylinder has D 30 on it grin

That's December 2030
The world would have ended by then grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by GHOSTMODEBIZA: 8:46am On Jun 24, 2021
Humphrizy:
Majority of people using cooking gas don't know that their gas cylinder has an expiry date. They don't know when the gas cylinders will expire and when it does, it can results to leakage that can lead to explosion. There have been many cases of gas cylinder explosions and when this happens, lives are lost and properties worth millions are also lost in the fire that follows. So many lives have been lost and this is a call to concern.

According to a State Coordinator, Standard Organisation of Nigeria [SON], “If a cylinder of 12kg explodes, it is capable of bringing down a two storey building. Cooking gas cylinders must not exceed five (5) years.” According to the SON Director, most people using gas cylinders hardly remember when it was bought. Once you discover that your gas cylinder has expired, stop using it in order to avoid explosion.

This is the process to verify the expiry date of the LPG cylinder
The expiry date of cooking gas cylinder can be found on one of the metal strips that connect the body of the cylinder to top ring (handle). It is printed or pasted on the inner side of the strip. Alphabets from A to D is painted on it along with a number. The process of decoding the expiry date is very simple. The alphabet A, B, C, D represents the month it will expire while the number beside it indicates the year the gas cylinder will expire.

A year is divided into four quarters which are:
A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December
The letters represent the month of expiry while the number indicates the year of expiry.
For example, if a cylinder has ‘B 20′ printed on the metal strip. The letter B represents month June, and 20 indicates the year 2020. So a cylinder having B 20 mentioned on it means it will expire in June 2020.

After the expiry date, a gas cylinder has a grace period of 3 - 4 months because the cylinder cannot be extracted immediately out of the circulation. There have been several reports on how distributors tamper with the expiry date because they are written with paint. When next you buy or receive a gas cylinder, make sure you check the expiry date and stay safe.
Good information
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by ETT93(m): 9:45am On Jun 24, 2021
Information is power �.
Thanks for this vital information
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by joshuaudom(m): 9:50am On Jun 24, 2021
gr8 information
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Perfectbeing(m): 10:08am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:
The post says you shouldn't use a gas cylinder for more than 5 years.. So you're you buy twice per decade.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Teenaira: 10:31am On Jun 24, 2021
twilightsparkle:
Just use stove. Simple!!! angry

Have you heard about kerosene explosion before sir ?
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by WibusJaga: 10:52am On Jun 24, 2021
Humphrizy:
Majority of people using cooking gas don't know that their gas cylinder has an expiry date. They don't know when the gas cylinders will expire and when it does, it can results to leakage that can lead to explosion. There have been many cases of gas cylinder explosions and when this happens, lives are lost and properties worth millions are also lost in the fire that follows. So many lives have been lost and this is a call to concern.

The expiry date of cooking gas cylinder can be found on one of the metal strips that connect the body of the cylinder to top ring (handle). It is printed or pasted on the inner side of the strip. Alphabets from A to D is painted on it along with a number. The process of decoding the expiry date is very simple. The alphabet A, B, C, D represents the month it will expire while the number beside it indicates the year the gas cylinder will expire.

A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December
The letters represent the month of expiry while the number indicates the year of expiry.
For example, if a cylinder has ‘B 20′ printed on the metal strip. The letter B represents month June, and 20 indicates the year 2020. So a cylinder having B 20 mentioned on it means it will expire in June 2020.

After the expiry date, a gas cylinder has a grace period of 3 - 4 months because the cylinder cannot be extracted immediately out of the circulation. There have been several reports on how distributors tamper with the expiry date because they are written with paint. When next you buy or receive a gas cylinder, make sure you check the expiry date and stay safe.

What's the source of this info?

So a brand new cylinder that has never been used for years, but was well preserved could expire on the shelf?

Steel does not easily degrade unless exposed to moisture/rust & harsh weather.

Most important thing is to regularly inspect your cylinder for wears & rust while not exposing it to water & harsh environment.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:01am On Jun 24, 2021
Gas cylinder d expire
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Omanze: 11:14am On Jun 24, 2021
Humphrizy:

A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December

Op wait,

I have taken this serious but when I checked my gas cylinder, I saw (among other writings), 2010 3...

Not as you specified.

So I asked the attendant in a gas station to show me the expiry date but he told me it isn't present on the cylinder. He said the date there is production date and each cylinder stays for 15-20 years maximum after production.

Advice me pls, and tell me what are the signs to indicate when a cylinder is expiring/expired.

The attendant I talked to alluded to peeling off of the pains, etc
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by GweGweRi: 11:27am On Jun 24, 2021
Interesting
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by ifydav(m): 11:50am On Jun 24, 2021
nochyemish:

Oga read very well nah. 5years before a gas cylinder will expire
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Uncleodi(m): 11:51am On Jun 24, 2021
Humphrizy:

A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December

Thank you for enlightening me
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Rhidolah(m): 12:26pm On Jun 24, 2021
Humphrizy:

A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December

Can you explain better? Because all this your breakdowns on gas cylinders is not 100% right.

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by johhbekeboh09: 1:10pm On Jun 24, 2021
My gas cylinder 6kg Pls decode FAO3347 for me Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Father Asked His Son To Have A Haircut. Then The Son Did This (Photos) / London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Woman Impregnated Twice By Her Twin Brother Insists On Marrying Him (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.